Passenger smoking cannabis

Sea38

On our recent Oasis cruise we had issues with the continual smell of weed, which we reported to a Senior Officer who agreed he could smell it, he then went on to do nothing about it.  I eventually found the culprit, we followed it up by queuing at Customer Relations desk, supplying photos etc 

Not only did the above take time out of our holiday but our holiday was also impacted with not being able to enjoy and use our balcony even though we had reported it.

Upon complaining on our return RCI have said they are no longer going to speak to us with regard to the matter,

Disappointingly this has confirmed I am no longer a customer but I am a consumer.

Anyone else had the RCI Executive Team refuse to take your complaint further?

Edited by Sea38
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sea38 said:

If you are to complain further you need to do it on the ship - after the fact, for something like this, they're not likely to do anything about it.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Sea38 said:

On our recent Oasis cruise we had issues with the continual smell of weed, which we reported to a Senior Officer who agreed he could smell it, he then went on to do nothing about it.  I eventually found the culprit, we followed it up by queuing at Customer Relations desk, supplying photos etc 

Not only did the above take time out of our holiday but our holiday was also impacted with not being able to enjoy and use our balcony even though we had reported it.

Upon complaining on our return RCI have said they are no longer going to speak to us with regard to the matter,

Disappointingly this has confirmed I am no longer a customer but I am a consumer.

Happened to us, but on a different RCL ship. The outcome was completely different however. The weed paraphernalia (vape kit) was confiscated by security, the people in the cabin were relocated (don't know where) and we ultimately received an FCC from GS for having several days of our cruise impacted. Biker19 is absolutely correct. If you don't birddog it to a satisfactory conclusion while on board, you will bat zero with shoreside once the cruise is over.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 6

10 minutes ago, SpainAlien said:

I can't believe you wasted your holiday tracking down the culprit. You do you, let them do them, you'll have a much better time and be far more relaxed

Sorry to disagree with you on that. My hubby cannot be around smoke due to a medical issue and, if the smoker was smoking on a nearby balcony, we would definitely need to report it. Smokers need to adhere to the space(s) provided for them; I believe that it's rude for them to impact others health and well-being. Oh, and, yes, it should be addressed while on board, not after the fact.

Edited by SilkySal
add
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SilkySal said:

Sorry to disagree with you on that. My hubby cannot be around smoke due to a medical issue and, if the smoker was smoking on a nearby balcony, we would definitely need to report it. Smokers need to adhere to the space(s) provided for them; I believe that it's rude for them to impact others health and well-being. Oh, and, yes, it should be addressed while on board, not after the fact.

Agree. I'd be the first to rat out someone no matter what their smoking or vaping on their balcony. Like everyone on the ship we paid for a non smoking balcony. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

We had similar issues on Oasis in Late Aug/Early Sept. I happen to be a medical marijuana user (not on board -- and I take capsules at bed time), so I was more annoyed at someone risking smoking anything on a balcony. I did not complain, figuring it would not go anywhere -- but did complain when the same folks started blasting music at 7 am on their balcony. Security promptly took care of it. 

I frequently see people using MJ carts in the smoking area when I'm enjoying a cigar -- which honestly, I don't have an issue with, even though RCI forbids such behavior. I suspect we're 5-10 years from having legal use in designated areas and maybe edibles.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sea38 said:

I knew I would receive some comments with the view of ‘wasting our holiday finding the culprit’, however the smell was soo bad and why should we pay for a balcony then not be able to use it?  Especially when you have reported it and then nothing is done.   RCI just seem to have no sympathy of the impact that it had on our holiday.

I disagree. We've reported in the past an inconsiderate all about me smoker (not marijuana) and the problem was corrected on the first complaint. Not sure what security saw as we never were told and didn't care.

Then you should have requested to speak to someone higher up in the food chain. I would have. No way would we let some jerk ruin our cruise or use what we paid for. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Tatka said:

I do not believe it is allowed anyway.

It's not.  Under US Federal Law and a lot of ports it's illegal.   This breaks more than one rule onboard also.  I personally don't want to smell any smoke of any kind when I'm on my non-smoking balcony attached to my non-smoking room.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Then you should have requested to speak to someone higher up in the food chain. I would have.

This is the key to the outcome you need. If you don't ratchet up the pressure, no one else will do it for you.

36 minutes ago, Sea38 said:

I knew I would receive some comments with the view of ‘wasting our holiday finding the culprit’, however the smell was soo bad and why should we pay for a balcony then not be able to use it?  Especially when you have reported it and then nothing is done.   RCI just seem to have no sympathy of the impact that it had on our holiday.

You did the right thing by attempting to resolve the matter on board the ship ... and, apparently the substance abusers and the ship's crew ignored the rules ... and possibly the law.  I too would have been angered, particularly so not only for health reasons but because of the balcony upcharge.

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Agree. I'd be the first to rat out someone no matter what their smoking or vaping on their balcony. Like everyone on the ship we paid for a non smoking balcony. 

Yup, been while but I reported cabin next to me and they were charged Fine and this was just for smoking Cigarettes 

• Like 3

Personally I would rather smell that than stinky cigarettes, or worse...cigars.  🤢

But the point is, RCI has forbidden smoking of any kind, no matter what it is...including Vaping on balconies.  They made the rules (which I applaud), but indeed they need to enforce their own rules. 

It should not be the paying passenger that has to do it.   The OP should not have had to jump through all those hoops just to get the ship to enforce their own rules.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Shame that some one CC choose to make fun of the OP.

I feel bad she had to dedicate a portion of the trip to policing RCL policies.   As soon as someone reports smoking on a balcony it should be taken very seriously and investigated (there would be signs beyond the OPs photos).   There is a reason no smoking is a policy; massive fire in cruise history.      

Either the OP didn’t communicate the issue onboard correctly or RCL is grossly negligent in failing to investigate.    You would think corporate would want to investigate too; if a fire later occurred and photos & documentation surface of RCL blowing off people like the OP; there will be hell to pay in court (law or public opinion)

• Like 4

Just now, JoeD67 said:

Shame that some one CC choose to make fun of the OP.

I feel bad she had to dedicate a portion of the trip to policing RCL policies.   As soon as someone reports smoking on a balcony it should be taken very seriously and investigated (there would be signs beyond the OPs photos).   There is a reason no smoking is a policy; massive fire in cruise history.      

Either the OP didn’t communicate the issue onboard correctly or RCL is grossly negligent in failing to investigate.    You would think corporate would want to investigate too; if a fire later occurred and photos & documentation surface of RCL blowing off people like the OP; there will be hell to pay in court (law or public opinion)

Now…. If the issue was someone is smoking weed in a designated area.  Still an issue but not as bad.   Medical or not, you don’t need families/kids/passengers getting high from 2nd hand smoke in public areas.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, crewsweeper said:

Maybe they were just down to seeds and stems.🙃

That's no way to live

32 minutes ago, island lady said:

Personally I would rather smell that than stinky cigarettes, or worse...cigars.  🤢

Agreed, I like the smell. 

6 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Until then just bring some carts or edibles and no one will be the wiser. 

Technically still against the rules as the ports are usually US federal property and it's illegal federally. Kind of like bringing it through the TSA at the airport...they probably won't narc you to the cops, but they will likely take it away from you. I mean, so I have heard..............

• Like 1