The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday December 8th, 2022

richwmn

Good afternoon from Miami.

We’re sitting in the Concierge Lounge at the JW Marriott Marquis waiting for our room to be ready.  On arrival we were asked if we would like a further upgrade if we would not mind waiting.  So, of course we said yes.

So we are overlooking the Miami cruise port and sipping a cappuccino.

This is our first experience flying to Miami and leaving the terminal.  We usually only make a connection here.  I will tell you, it is not worth it if you don’t have to do it.  We usually drive here and it is much more pleasant.  The taxi fare alone is a small fortune.  Should have taken an UBER.  

Tomorrow we will use an UBER to go to Total Wine for our stash.  Oceania does not care how much you bring on board.  If you bring it to the dining room or bar there is a corkage fee, otherwise…….

So we will get enough for our whole cruise of 18 days. 

Thank you all for your kind words for my neighbor Joanne.  I will convey the thoughts to her husband and family when I see them.

Thank you Rich for the Daily and Fleet Report.  And to Roy for the Lists.  

I have not yet read the posts and will do so as soon as I am able.  I will respond accordingly.

Just wanted to touch base.

It has been a long day and it is only 2 PM.  Got up at 6 am.  Then we had a delayed flight. And now a wait for our room.

Hope everyone is having a nice day.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 20
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

A little while ago, I got news that another had died early this morning.  He had been ill for many years with a degenerative disease, and had been confined to bed for several months.  

So sorry to hear this 😔 So sad for another death so soon - prayers for your neighbour, his family and you and all of your neighbourhood dealing with this 🙏🏻 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Not a bad day here in the Pacific NW.  Had some rain last night that washed away most of the snow on the ground.  On Sunday I was walking outside and slipped on some ice.  Twisted my right ankle and it was very painful at the time, but not as bad by yesterday.  We were going to go to some Asian markets in Seattle for grocery shopping, but first DW wanted to stop at the Navy Hospital to pick up and renew some prescriptions.  As long as we were there I decided to stop at Urgent Care to let them look at my ankle which was pretty black and blue.  Took a bunch of x-rays and was surprised to find the fibula was broken.  They fitted a splint to it and I will return to see an orthopedic doctor on Friday.  With the splint strapped tight there is less pain, so I can walk around OK with a home made cane.  Urgent Care took about three hours, so we skipped the trip to Seattle.  I have heard that our bones are more brittle as we age, so this is probably an example of that.

Ray

• Like 6
  • Thanks 18

I have already heard back from Guest Services on the holiday decorating. Shipments will be received in two days when we reach Barbados. Then the decorating commences. Thankfully we will have most of a week to enjoy them. Good thing because I have nothing Christmassy at my house and we will set out for DD’s house on or by the 24th. 🎄

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Not a bad day here in the Pacific NW.  Had some rain last night that washed away most of the snow on the ground.  On Sunday I was walking outside and slipped on some ice.  Twisted my right ankle and it was very painful at the time, but not as bad by yesterday.  We were going to go to some Asian markets in Seattle for grocery shopping, but first DW wanted to stop at the Navy Hospital to pick up and renew some prescriptions.  As long as we were there I decided to stop at Urgent Care to let them look at my ankle which was pretty black and blue.  Took a bunch of x-rays and was surprised to find the fibula was broken.  They fitted a splint to it and I will return to see an orthopedic doctor on Friday.  With the splint strapped tight there is less pain, so I can walk around OK with a home made cane.  Urgent Care took about three hours, so we skipped the trip to Seattle.  I have heard that our bones are more brittle as we age, so this is probably an example of that.

Ray

I'm sorry to hear you have a broken Fibula Ray.

Although it is not a weight bearing bone it is serious and you did absolutely the right thing to get an x-ray and hopefully if it is properly strapped you should make a great recovery.

Graham.

• Like 16

34 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

never made it for the walk, did get brunch, and work in the garden where i stabbed myself in the arm with a stick from a plant, and got attacked by ants.

Good grief, woman!   Go easy on yourself.  How about watching some TV?

6 minutes ago, summer slope said:

And the bad news continues. DH tested positive for Covid. He is not doing well. I’m negative but have to be tested every morning at 9. I can leave the cabin but masked and no crowds. Eat meals in cabin. No problem with any of it. 

Oh, Dixie, I am so sorry to hear that.  Hopefully he will recover soon.  

35 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Ray

It is a good thing you stopped by Urgent Care.   Hope you heal quickly.

Ok, Dailyites, that is enough!  No more injuries or illnesses!   @aliaschief, @Cruising-along, @lazey1 and anyone else who is ailing, Get Well Now!   

Seriously, be careful and take precautions.  I hate to hear about friends who are suffering.

I went and completed what I think is the last task of moving - getting my Michigan drivers license and car license plates.   Wow, this is expensive!  $291.  They are good until April of 2024 and I did get a park pass for the state parks and registered to vote at the same time.  One stop shopping.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Thank you to all for the best wishes. I feel a little guilty for even posting that I have Covid as my case is really mild. Runny nose and a cough that is not that much different from my COPD issues. I have to take the Paxlovid Rx and isolate for the rest of this week. Should be back to normal on Monday. So many more people are having serious issues and I am adding all who are mentioned today to my prayer list. God is the ultimate healer and we pray that each of his helpers in the medical professions are blest.

Jane

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

I'm at my office, after starting a Carbonite full restore for a new computer (not the one I'm using). I might as well go home, since it won't finish today. When it's complete, all the files from the old computer will be in one new folder on the new one and then we can choose which to keep and where to place them.

Yet today, if possible, I need to shop at the big supermarket. I've postponed it several times and it will be less crowded this evening than tomorrow morning. In addition to regular shopping, I want to start stocking up shelf-stable foods for a winter emergency. Dinner tonight will be non-tortilla pie made with the flatbread that I actually have, aduki beans, shallots, tomato sauce, and cheese, with salad.

• Like 18

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

And the bad news continues. DH tested positive for Covid. He is not doing well. I’m negative but have to be tested every morning at 9. I can leave the cabin but masked and no crowds. Eat meals in cabin. No problem with any of it. 

I'm sorry to hear this.

Take care.

Graham.

• Like 10

Dixie, I am so sorry to hear DH has COVID. Hope it turns out to be a mild case. 

Pray that you stay negative. 

• Like 14

Good afternoon, time for a mid-afternoon check-in.  Thanks so much for your birthday wishes for our sweet little Parker.  We'll be doing a video call in a couple of hours to wish him a happy birthday and can't wait to see his little face.  

Wow, lots happening today; not all of it good!

@summer slopesorry DH has tested positive; hopefully he doesn't get too sick!

@USN59-79glad you stopped by emergent care; broken bones are not to be taken lightly at any age.

@Quartzsite CruiserI'm sorry to her you lost another neighbour; may his soul rest in peace.

@Seasick Sailorouch on the dental issues; that's not fun.

@mamaofamiHappy 17th Birthday to your DGS.

@luvteachingHappy 44th "Gotcha" Day to your son.  As an adoptee, I'm always happy to hear how people became families.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Sheesh!  I'm going to stay away from all you ailing Dailyites!  But thanks, anyway, for letting us know what is going on. At least there are a few birthdays to celebrate too.   Chief, evidently here there has been a surge  in strep A cases in children - what one doctor said is "what we used to call Scarlet Fever" - do you have a rash?  Hope you get some good antibiotics and feel better soon.  Also all the others with Covid, post-Covid and other ailments.  Both DD and DH are berating me for coughing all the time, I'm wondering if it is also post-covid, or maybe I need to find a new BP pill.  I see the doctor next week to check a keratosis (?) and will ask about it.  I will not be popular if I'm still coughing this much on our next cruise in three weeks...

In honour of the day, I broke out a couple of brownies for us for lunch.  I'm not a great fan of anything tomato-y or soupy, so I will leave it for others to enjoy.  We have been to Curacao a few times.  When we have stayed there we had small children and it's all a blur.  It is so great now with digital photography to be able to bring back the cruise memories.  

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Sheesh!  I'm going to stay away from all you ailing Dailyites!  But thanks, anyway, for letting us know what is going on. At least there are a few birthdays to celebrate too.   Chief, evidently here there has been a surge  in strep A cases in children - what one doctor said is "what we used to call Scarlet Fever" - do you have a rash?  Hope you get some good antibiotics and feel better soon.  Also all the others with Covid, post-Covid and other ailments.  Both DD and DH are berating me for coughing all the time, I'm wondering if it is also post-covid, or maybe I need to find a new BP pill.  I see the doctor next week to check a keratosis (?) and will ask about it.  I will not be popular if I'm still coughing this much on our next cruise in three weeks...

In honour of the day, I broke out a couple of brownies for us for lunch.  I'm not a great fan of anything tomato-y or soupy, so I will leave it for others to enjoy.  We have been to Curacao a few times.  When we have stayed there we had small children and it's all a blur.  It is so great now with digital photography to be able to bring back the cruise memories.  

On a positive note Ann after our 14 night Canary Islands cruise I have just booked a hotel holiday in Tenerife Canary Islands.

Graham.

• Like 19

Sorry to hear this. Hope you stay well and dh gets better soon

• Like 14

59 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

No rash. Dr. Put me on two antibiotics x ten days. They are already working and I will be back to normal soon. 
Just a sincere thank you for all the kind supporting post here on the Daily.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from a gloomy central Texas.  Our temperatures have not dropped below the mid to upper 60sF, and it is humid.  The sixties I can take, but do not like the humidity.  I grew up in dry, west Texas and have never adjusted to humidity.

Three interesting days today.  Hats off to blue collar workers without whom the world would not function.  I'll salute the lovely, chewy brownie, but also the Brownie camera, and the Girl Scout Brownies.  Both DDs and I were Brownies at one time.

And interesting quote.

Tomato soup with a grilled cheese sandwich sounds good.  I have a good tomato soup recipe for when I can find good tomatoes, otherwise it is Progresso tomato soup.  Today, though we will be having leftover chili and corn bread.  The drink sounds interesting, but we'll pass on the wine.

We have been to Willemstad, Curacao, twice on Rotterdam VI in 2020 on b2b Panama Canal cruises out of San Diego.  Both times we were docked in St. Anna Bay, which we thought was the best place to dock.

@RedneckBob  Great picture of the moon.  Thanks for thinking of the Brownie camera.  I'm sure many if not most of us had one growing up.

@1ANGELCAT  Our condolences to the families, friends and others with the New Tripoli station on the deaths in action of Zachary Paris and Marvin Gruber.

@seagarsmoker  Oh no on Covid still kicking your you know what.  I hope you get well soon.

@HAL Sailer  Melisa, the news about your DSIL is not what we wanted to see.  Sending positive thoughts for a good outcome tomorrow and for the skill and knowledge of her medical team.

@Lady Hudson  Glad the trip has been fun and uneventful.  Lovely picture of the tree.  Safe travels tomorrow.

@ger_77  Gerry,  wish your DGS a   🎂  VERY HAPPY 3RD BIRTHDAY!  🎈 for us.

@aliaschief  Bruce, just wow.  I'm glad they finally diagnosed the pneumonia, and I hope your doctor can give you the antibiotics to cure it soon.

@mamaofami  Carol, HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your DGS.

Thank you all who posted pictures of Willemstad.  I'll go find my pictures to add to the mix.

Lenda

Thanks. Just lucky to wake up, go out onto balcony and there it was, a full moon.

I did have a brownie camera as a kid but was not qualified to be a brownie. My, have times changed!

• Like 12

2 hours ago, summer slope said:

That’s a rotten shame Dixie!  Good that they will continue to test you. Sometimes it takes a while to test negative like DH and I did last summer. He tested negative on a Tuesday, positive on Wednesday and it took 10 full days to be negative. No Paxlovid  or anything.  I’m so sorry George is not doing so well!  Give him our best!

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Love the Canaries!   Pat's parents lived in Las Palmas for many years, DFIL is buried there.  

We took a tour to Puerto de las Cruz.

We have had 4 hotel holidays in Puerto de la Cruz and 10 hotel holidays in Playa de las America's Tenerife and also love it here.

Graham.

IMG_20221125_105731.jpg

IMG_20221125_102334.jpg

IMG_20221125_113644.jpg

IMG_20221125_114524.jpg

IMG_20221125_134226.jpg

IMG_20221125_110140.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1