LIVE from the Koningsdam Holiday Sailing - Dec. 17th - Jan 7th - exploring my first Pinnacle Class ship 🤞

kazu

17 minutes ago, boze9999 said:

This is the permanent sign on the Rotterdam (from a couple of weeks ago). Children under 16 are allowed with adult supervision. image.thumb.jpeg.cdb0810d9cdadfb506588a7284a09a7e.jpeg

How disappointing!

Edited by Sea42
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, AV8rix said:

OMG!  Then what I heard from the folks on the Thanksgiving voyages was correct!!  They're not enforcing the rule to keep the kids out of the Seaview pool area. 

Children under 16 are allowed according to the sign, they just need supervision. Very disappointing!

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, boze9999 said:

This is the permanent sign on the Rotterdam (from a couple of weeks ago). Children under 16 are allowed with adult supervision.

Well OK, you're right.  It's just that in my 12-year history with HAL it had never been an issue before so I really didn't pay much attention to the actual signage.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sea42 said:

How disappointing!

I'm sure HAL can't win - they get so many complaints about dozens/hundreds of kids inside the Lido pool where a lot of guests love to have peace and quiet (and sleep) and when the roof is closed the noise reverberates exponentially - they obviously can't close both pools to the younger set - truly a challenge with only two pools. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, boze9999 said:

This is the permanent sign on the Rotterdam (from a couple of weeks ago). Children under 16 are allowed with adult supervision. 

Thanks for the posting the recent signage.  They should change the rules on website.  This makes me consider other cruise lines with adults only pools.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, boze9999 said:

I'm sure HAL can't win - they get so many complaints about dozens/hundreds of kids inside the Lido pool where a lot of guests love to have peace and quiet (and sleep) and when the roof is closed the noise reverberates exponentially - they obviously can't close both pools to the younger set - truly a challenge with only two pools. 

Agreed. With 500 kids onboard it does make sense for them to have access to both pools. I'm glad we don't travel over the holidays!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

Agreed. With 500 kids onboard it does make sense for them to have access to both pools. I'm glad we don't travel over the holidays!

Holiday and Spring Break Caribbean/Mexico cruises tend to have the largest youth numbers for sure!

• Like 1

Kids love pools! The Holiday cruises have one heck of a lot more kids onboard; everybody knows/should know that when you book such a cruise. Many kids will be in the pools and/or hot tubs on holiday cruises; that's a fact, Jack! Hopefully those under 16 with adult supervision as the signs state.

Will it be enforced? Prob not because the only staff permanently assigned to the two pools on HAL are beverage staff who care about doing their (beverage) job and don't get involved with kiddies in the pool.

In the not so recent past, HAL reserved the Seaview (aft) pool for adults only - see the attached sign - That has apparently now gone out the window as we are learning from this exquisite daily blog  

Bottom line; it's up to the parents of those sixteen and under to police them, yeah right! That's called wishful thinking for some! So, until HAL employs pool lifeguards which they've never done in the past, this situation can best be described as a Catch 22

What Is A Catch-22? - WorldAtlas

HAL pool rules temp sign.jpg

• Like 11
  • Haha 4

On 12/17/2022 at 11:06 AM, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

Jacquie, sorry tohave missed you. Just got off Konigsdam and it is a fine ship. You will have a grand time. Diamond Princess being here today make security more lengthy since ships traditionally in San Diego use same security. 

Best restaurant aboard is Rudy's sel de mer in my opinion. Ask for Melvin as server. Tamarind also excellent.  If in Neptune Suite breakfast in Club Orange is a perk. I hope more dining staff board today as the MDR was a problem service wise I heard.

Smooth waters and good weather should come your way. 500 children expected on Christmas cruise.

Happy Holidays and Bon Voyage. Barbara. 

I agree about Sel de Mer being the best specialty restaurant at present on Kdam. Milan was our go-to server there the past three weeks. Nelson and Tatenda will welcome you as fine friends when you arrive.

Cliff

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boze9999 said:

This is the permanent sign on the Rotterdam (from a couple of weeks ago). Children under 16 are allowed with adult supervision. image.thumb.jpeg.cdb0810d9cdadfb506588a7284a09a7e.jpeg

Years ago on the Ryndam over New Years my son was 9 and daughter 11 and they were allowed in the sea view pool as long as I was there, which I was.  My kids didn’t run, jump or splash.  A few years later, in 2015, we were on the Westerdam through the Panama Canal with very few children on board but some adults who obviously disliked kids.  The very first day we went to the Sea View pool someone complained and an officer told us they were only allowed in the Lido pool, despite what this sign says.

• Like 2

Jacqui...Thanks for the info about the Westgate! I used to take my Mom there for Mother's Day Brunch and it was fabulous. I'm always looking for fun HH in SD and I didn't know the Westgate had one..let alone one that looks and sounds great!! Not sure if it's true now but years ago many of the stars of the SD Opera used to stay there as it's right across from the theatre. 

It will be great to meet you on the next cruise and my sympathy for your loss as well. We certainly have something in common. 

• Like 2

Apologies for the Sea View Pool discussion.  I should have read the sign.  In the past it has always been for adults only & I believe it was on our cruise 3 weeks ago.

1 hour ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Thanks Jacqui, I apologize I ment to say  NS for CO. Thanks on that. 
It has been 2020 on our past BHB. San Diego was so easy for embarkation especially with 4 and 5 Stars then. Just saw the huge lines outside the gates yesterday and it looked like a zoo!

I was in Group A and while there were a number of people the line moved quite quickly,  Much faster than the last time I embarked there.

1 hour ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Will walk through gates to the security and show our boarding passes to get into the building and then go to priority section! Thanks so much 

Jacqui! 
🌺Denise

Priority is NOT until you have gone through the line and security - then priority is in place for check in which takes no time at all.

1 hour ago, AV8rix said:

OMG!  Then what I heard from the folks on the Thanksgiving voyages was correct!!  They're not enforcing the rule to keep the kids out of the Seaview pool area.  Bummer!  I was going to use that open area to eat on the upcoming crowded Christmas segment because I didn't want to eat in an enclosed venue with hundreds of kids aboard whose vaccination and health status is uncertain.  I'd already planned to stay out of the MDR for ANY meal on that segment.

Umm, actually the overwhelmed staff may not be enforcing any rules at all.

I have always been able to find a place to sit - at least, so far.  

I think an open air environment is good.  FWIW - the Club Orange tables seem quite well spaced 👍 

1 hour ago, boze9999 said:

Thanks.  I did look and the same sign is here.  New to me.

46 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Kids love pools! The Holiday cruises have one heck of a lot more kids onboard; everybody knows/should know that when you book such a cruise. Many kids will be in the pools and/or hot tubs on holiday cruises; that's a fact, Jack! Hopefully those under 16 with adult supervision as the signs state.

I knew there would be a lot of kids over Christmas and that’s wasn’t a big deal to me.  I actually like children (unless they are unruly) but I stupidly didn’t think they would be in the Sea View Pool.  LIve and learn 😉 

FWIW I do think a parent was with most of them or watching.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Dropped into the Sea View Pool to check out the signage and the pool is quite quiet.  The children seem to have mostly disappeared from the area.

When I went up to the New York Deli

BC94DC8C-44A3-47A5-AD30-B372157A1CD6.thumb.jpeg.cfbec559e1d6f0f6f5817829767d6d8e.jpeg

I saw a number of people checking in at Club HAL so perhaps more are now going there now?  Not sure but there are few children around and the area is quieter.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, kazu said:

Dropped into the Sea View Pool to check out the signage and the pool is quite quiet.  The children seem to have mostly disappeared from the area.

….

I saw a number of people checking in at Club HAL so perhaps more are now going there now?  Not sure but there are few children around and the area is quieter.

Club HAL closes over lunch…11:30-1:00 if memory serves but 2015 was a long time ago!  Our kids enjoyed going into the pool over lunch time then happily went back into Club HAL.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Club HAL closes over lunch…11:30-1:00 if memory serves but 2015 was a long time ago!  Our kids enjoyed going into the pool over lunch time then happily went back into Club HAL.

Thanks! 🙂. The kids were in the pool long before 11:30 am this morning.  We’ll see what tomorrow brings - I”m prepared now, at least 😉 

• Like 5

Bon Voyage, Jacqui.  We board the Koningsdam in January for round trip Hawaii.  Never been on this ship so thank you for sharing.  We purchased club orange as we are traveling with my sister and brother-in-law and they have been used it before so we purchased it and got the room upgrade.  

Thank you for posting about your voyage.  Really enjoy following your travels.  Stay well and safe.  Merry Christmas.  

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, highland cruiser said:

Bon Voyage, Jacqui.  We board the Koningsdam in January for round trip Hawaii.  Never been on this ship so thank you for sharing.  We purchased club orange as we are traveling with my sister and brother-in-law and they have been used it before so we purchased it and got the room upgrade.  

Thank you for posting about your voyage.  Really enjoy following your travels.  Stay well and safe.  Merry Christmas.  

I think you will be very glad you got the Club Orange if your cruise is like mine.

I did it for the upgrade but the dining room is much calmer and less of a wait overall than the MDR.  Service has been really good.  All the waiters quickly know you.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, ski ww said:

$20 for lobster tail & I see jumbo shrimp cocktail is back, it wasn't on our July cruise. 

It was on our Oosterdam cruise too, Allan.  They were not thrilling last night.  I’d probably give them a 6 - 7 out of 10.  They had either been defrosted too long or not had the moisture absorbed after defrosted.  Just my best guess.  

last night’s Club Orange was a jambalaya. Aris was talking up tonight’s special - a duck menu.  He says it is really good.  

• Like 4

The ship is amazingly quiet this morning.  I’m guessing for 3 reasons - Gala last night and some partying last night (at least the people next to me were), clocks went forward an hour and we don’t get into Cabo San Lucas until 11.

This will be the first of 3 times that we will be to Cabo.  It’s a tender port.  If most people are getting off, I may take advantage of the quiet ship and hobble around the ship and check it out more sans crowds.  And use the pool.  Foot isn’t happy so I may humour it rather than over work it 😉 

Amazed at the laundry service.  The note in the cabin clearly said 48 hours.  I put it out yesterday morning and it was back yesterday afternoon!!!  A very pleasant surprise.  There was also a thank you note in with it.  I am wondering if they are pre-printed.  Will post a pic later on.

And I finally found my bathrobe - LOL.  Very top shelf.   I have 2 even though it is only me.  😉 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3