LIVE from the Koningsdam Holiday Sailing - Dec. 17th - Jan 7th - exploring my first Pinnacle Class ship 🤞

kazu

7 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Decide for yourself about Koningsdam - we have cruised on her three times, with almost 60 days under our belts - almost as much as we had on Prinsendam.  We're looking forward to joining you for the New Year's cruise.  Hope the warmth helps your foot feel better and you can have a lovely, relaxing holiday.

Ann, remember the one last year when 9 people refused to disembark Kdam in San Diego?  So they couldn't zero-out the ship and we were stuck in "in-transit jail" in the terminal for 2 hours?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On the Kdam now.  Been a good cruise.  Of course there are always hits and misses on any ship but I'm sure you'll have a good time! Weather has been excellent and the sailing to date smooth.  Last night was the 1st.time I've felt the ship moving at all.

I heard the ship has 2700 on board now so not full but it is busy....waits for breakfast lunch and dinner in MDR without set dining times.  I think still understaffed unfortunately.   Food for the most part good though dinner tonight a miss that I actually  ended up grabbing something a bit later in the Lido.  They need more venues for watching sports but for some that isn't  an issues.  At pool now watching Thursday nite football.  Lots of people here.  I do think they need some more activities on sea days.  Ship still looks great.   They have some nice decorations for Christmas and put up a gingerbread village yesterday which is sweet....pun intended.

Enjoy!

Edited by san diego spartan
Typo
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, AV8rix said:

Ann, remember the one last year when 9 people refused to disembark Kdam in San Diego?  So they couldn't zero-out the ship and we were stuck in "in-transit jail" in the terminal for 2 hours?

Could be worse! 😉 Could be stuck inside the Shanghai, PRC terminal that the Chinese authorities closed up after a group of about ten of them in full uniform marched up the gangway to go get a free lunch in the Lido. When the SECO (guess who 😉) told the staff captain, the latter refused them permission to board, so the now slightly upset platoon of custom dudes marched off and secured all entrances to the terminal trapping about 75 Amsterdam pax inside! The situation was later rectified after the staff captain reversed his decision and the SECO had to have a meeting with the Chinese head honcho in charge, who didn't speak a lick of English, so the local port agent had to act as interpreter 🙂 The way things work............ See you soon also!     

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 7

Jacqui, when the Koningsdam was first launched, we said we'd never sail on her as she's too big.  We spent four weeks on her last fall and four weeks on her this spring.  I was surprised about how much l liked the ship, but admittedly we were rarely above 50 percent capacity.  The crew were fantastic, which made our cruises even better.

Relax, enjoy the ship and be glad you got out of Dodge. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Could be worse! 😉 Could be stuck inside the Shanghai, PRC terminal that the Chinese authorities closed up after a group of about ten of them in full uniform marched up the gangway to go get a free lunch in the Lido. When the SECO (guess who 😉) told the staff captain, the latter refused them permission to board, so the now slightly upset platoon of custom dudes marched off and secured all entrances to the terminal trapping about 75 Amsterdam pax inside! The situation was later rectified after the staff captain reversed his decision and the SECO had to have a meeting with the Chinese head honcho in charge, who didn't speak a lick of English, so the local port agent had to act as interpreter 🙂 The way things work............ See you soon also!     

OMG!  That's a hoot!  Well, I mean in retrospect.  Couldn't have been much fun for the pax when it actually happened.

By the way (and this is a TRUE story) after the in-transit problem in San Diego last year I actually ran into the SECO.  I told him that I knew who those 9 people were that held up the process.  He looked at me startled and asked me how I knew.  I said, "Remember when we used to have to muster out on the prom deck?  Well, they're the same people who never show up for muster".  He cracked up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 14

10 hours ago, AV8rix said:

Where’s the “ugh” button when you need it?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Andi Land said:

Just as a side note, we had a heck of a time getting CC to load on Koningsdam using Safari. I had to switch to Chrome for the trip. 

Thanks for the tip!

• Like 2

Bon Voyage Jacqui, I hope you have a great cruise.  Glad you were able to make it out of Dodge before the storm hit your area.  I really wish I was in San Diego right now.  The storm here started Tuesday night and is still going strong.  With the wind and snow, I haven't left the house since Tuesday.  In Western South Dakota they had over 4 feet of snow, here only about a foot or so, but with the wind, lots of 3 to 4 foot drifts, and the interstate shut down across most of the state.  A winter cruise sounds very nice right now.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from central CA. My DH and I will be joining you in 13days and can’t wait. We have sailed once before on the Konningsdam and you just have to get used to the longer walks on board. Our favorite ships were the Prinsendam and Masdam. We just recourse boarding assignment for the 29th. We are in group D and are 4 star mariners but friends who have never been on HAL and are also in verandas board in group B. Not sure how they determine these times. Well hope your boarding goes smoothly and look forward to meeting you. Bon Voyage 

• Like 2

Talking about boarding.... Jacqui, please let us know how the boarding goes.  In the Spring the taxi driver had to let us off outside the gates, instead of dropping us off inside.  There was a long line along the sidewalk, but I can't remember if it was to check the tests we had to do then or if it was the timing.   Then we were able to use the priority line once we were inside the building.  I'm wondering if it will be the same this time, and if they are going to make people stick to their assigned boarding times.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, madera1 said:

Good morning from central CA. My DH and I will be joining you in 13days and can’t wait. We have sailed once before on the Konningsdam and you just have to get used to the longer walks on board. Our favorite ships were the Prinsendam and Masdam. We just recourse boarding assignment for the 29th. We are in group D and are 4 star mariners but friends who have never been on HAL and are also in verandas board in group B. Not sure how they determine these times. Well hope your boarding goes smoothly and look forward to meeting you. Bon Voyage 

Looking forward to meeting you too 🙂   I sure hope the boarding goes smoothly 🤞 

44 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Talking about boarding.... Jacqui, please let us know how the boarding goes.  In the Spring the taxi driver had to let us off outside the gates, instead of dropping us off inside.  There was a long line along the sidewalk, but I can't remember if it was to check the tests we had to do then or if it was the timing.   Then we were able to use the priority line once we were inside the building.  I'm wondering if it will be the same this time, and if they are going to make people stick to their assigned boarding times.

Oh, I sure hope we don’t have to line up outside, Ann.  I will certainly report.  I have an 11:30 boarding time and hoping it is smooth.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, san diego spartan said:

On the Kdam now.  Been a good cruise.  Of course there are always hits and misses on any ship but I'm sure you'll have a good time! Weather has been excellent and the sailing to date smooth.  Last night was the 1st.time I've felt the ship moving at all.

I heard the ship has 2700 on board now so not full but it is busy....waits for breakfast lunch and dinner in MDR without set dining times.  I think still understaffed unfortunately.   Food for the most part good though dinner tonight a miss that I actually  ended up grabbing something a bit later in the Lido.  They need more venues for watching sports but for some that isn't  an issues.  At pool now watching Thursday nite football.  Lots of people here.  I do think they need some more activities on sea days.  Ship still looks great.   They have some nice decorations for Christmas and put up a gingerbread village yesterday which is sweet....pun intended.

Enjoy!

We are also on this week and had some food quality misses in the Pinnacle Grill. Sel de Mer and Tamarind had exquisite food and service. Canaletto was also a very good experience.

Here's a pic of the gingerbread village, with a running model train. Deck 2 just forward of the midship atrium.

28AF55C8-D359-4AE1-BA53-F17B6B9CD717.thumb.jpeg.3d216606b9f524b5e3e811d3fa06012c.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Jacqui,

Wishing you the fabulous cruise(s) that you surely deserve.

I first boarded ms Koningsdam with very low expectations.  Now, several cruises later, she holds a special place in my heart.

Will be following along.  Whatever your experience, I know you will honestly report the positive and negative (but I hope the pros beat the cons by a longshot).

Marion

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So glad you are getting on before me and I can read all about it before I join you on 12/22!! First time on this class of ship so interested in what will be different! I'm already looking forward to the Dutch Cafe!!

See you on 12/22 sailaway!!! 

• Like 2

If you are ever staying in San Diego pre-cruise, I recommend the Westgate Hotel.  Friends told me about it and after looking at Tripadvisor, I was amazed at the price (very reasonable) considering it’s star rating.  It’s a 4.5* hotel but feels like a 5* to me.

Very close to the Gaslamp area - walking distance to many things and an absolutely fantastic staff, restaurant & entertainment.

It’s in the style of the old European palaces - as to decor - beautiful.

A2A617BB-0F9A-4F99-A6BF-A97DB0F83904.thumb.jpeg.ab1efdedc5231fd9902b2981fe9606b6.jpeg

The food is wonderful.  They have a happy hour from 2-6 with some very reasonably priced food and drink.

here is the menu for it:

C3638D72-681E-45D8-A2EF-7743683ED82C.thumb.jpeg.f7d7aec6462d76d2c70e24eb24e353b5.jpeg

The staff are honest when you ask them if it is good.  You can have it in the Plaza Bar which is very nice and intimate

D912F7FA-7621-4DCA-874B-20B13C77387F.thumb.jpeg.cc5ea3a8154549f092e3a5b23f8efbea.jpeg

or on the verandah (taken last night while the entertainment was on)

83F18A93-0C20-47DE-858E-F236558EB48D.thumb.jpeg.b590ad5b51d4e107dd4c7d1b254eba0f.jpeg

The striped bass taco (small) was very good.

726ECFF2-D81F-41AE-AAE4-8A008CF0162F.thumb.jpeg.1d742b770b27bea0b157491f1551bee9.jpeg

And the charcuterie board was to die for.  I couldn’t believe how much was on the plate!

484F4D4D-79A8-4B4C-87F3-6F674551794D.thumb.jpeg.d47834c64aca518ce0603d071feec053.jpeg

during the afternoon they have a true high tea with a performer - a harp has been playing for the last couple of days.  I passed on it because of the price and no one to sit with for an extended period of time but it looks absolutely lovely.

Last night on the verandah, they had entertainment and the two performers were magnificent.  Apparently they have performers Thursday - Saturday night there.

Love the decor.  There is a little hallway off the hall for each set of rooms - just two - reminded me a bit of the Prinsendam and the furniture is gorgeous in my hallway:

7055DEB6-0180-45A4-8941-E9D35B69A973.thumb.jpeg.07698edbcea2bfb1343b0fbbe1f8c4a2.jpeg

And they abound in the hallways.  

Apparently the hotel was built because San Diego didn’t have a fancy enough one for ambassadors, princes or Presidents.

8DD7FDF2-535D-4BBE-9741-0F8596D8622D.thumb.jpeg.f3a4f1f3d0dbcb9b55f1b0d953bb8637.jpeg

7E6761AF-445F-48DF-B296-6FFC835EA9C7.thumb.jpeg.5c4cfa437ba4eb8936880ed652c1dd71.jpeg

The art in the hotel is truly impressive.

838734F7-974B-4E86-A910-F2BC020B8480.thumb.jpeg.4eef255e68c97a5890abef22fa6eaf2f.jpeg

It’s beautiful without being overbearing.

7625B44C-72ED-4A27-9FC3-E5B51A22AA15.thumb.jpeg.bd798f43a207ed97c39ba63de477ef0e.jpeg

CA0A8B91-2BAD-49A5-B57F-D730EC7E938D.thumb.jpeg.975ad841d2836b4e0c1d8376b25ac064.jpeg

Happy to say I got my snow boots and coat in the suitcase so they don’t need to be lugged on board.  If we hadn’t had the storm we did I would have faked shoes but you can’t fake shoes when you have to walk out on the tarmac to the puddle jumper.

Board tomorrow at 11:30 - hoping it is smoother than last time in San Diego 🤞 

• Like 28
  • Thanks 5

Thanks for the info on the Westgate!  I have stayed at a couple of the regular cruise port area hotels in San Diego and they were good, but this looks like the place I will try next time especially if I will be there 2-3 days. 

Bon Voyage!

~Nancy

• Like 4

1 hour ago, oakridger said:

Thanks for the info on the Westgate!  I have stayed at a couple of the regular cruise port area hotels in San Diego and they were good, but this looks like the place I will try next time especially if I will be there 2-3 days. 

Bon Voyage!

~Nancy

Thanks on the Bon Voyage and definitely give it a try especially if you are staying Thursday - Saturday -  I think that is when the entertainment is except for the tea time harp (also gorgeous) and if you like good music, this is the place to be.

I’m back in the Parlour  Bar tonight ordering a light dinner (they have some different selections) and much to my surprise, there are wonderful Mexican performers in this little spot.  Fabulous voices.  DH would have loved this 😢 - a bit sad but the music is truly wonderful. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4