Live from 12/23 Riviera “Alluring Caribbean”

ToxM

I always start these with the best intentions, have a great time and then stop updating. Apologies in advance. Take the lack of posting as a symptom of a bad case of having a lovely time. 

So here we are. I will update as and when, this certainly isn’t a day by day or anything like the really great TR’s people post. I’ll do my best, others on board can add as they see fit. the pics will be wonky, the joy will be real and the fun will be had. 

We leave for Heathrow tomorrow evening after I come back from the hairdressers. Night at the Marriott, then off to Heathrow to camp in the Virgin Clubhouse til our flight to Miami. We overnight at the Intercontinental and are taking a day after disembarkation to stay at The Betsy in South Beach before we leave.  

All the packing is done (apart from Marital Unit, but he’s a terrible packer and I take no responsibility for anything he puts in his case). There’s very noticeably less paperwork than my last two cruises and nothing will be shoved up my nose in preparation - apart from copious amounts of First Defence at the airport and on the flight. 

I am taking some home tests with us as a precaution - friends on Insignia have reported that testing is costing upwards of 250 bucks on there, so if I do think I have got the dreaded lurgy we can do our own tests. If we do catch it (not had it yet) I am taking a small library of books, have loaded up the iPad with TV shows and will happily sit on the balcony, have food bought and sit and enjoy the view while I recover. Let’s hope it doesn’t happen (I am bringing a selection of pharmaceuticals to deal with anything that we might get). If I can do Barbados for a week, TA to Barcelona, 2 days in Barcelona then Monaco to Barcelona 10 days later and not get it, maybe I am one of the lucky ones. Famous last words!

We are in a B3, the ship looks to be full. I have never been on holiday over the festive season, so I don’t know quite what to expect. I am looking at it as being no washing up, no buying loads of food in, no trips to see relatives, no paying huge amounts of money to heat our home and a respite from the horrible weather we have been having. We recently lost our dog (3 weeks ago). It was a tough last 6 months with him and the pain is still very real, although he hadn’t been well for a long time. We need a rest and a bit of time away to heal.

I am going to be eating great food, having a dip in the pool, maybe getting off the ship occasionally, having the odd cocktail, playing slots and playing poker and reading all these books I am taking with me. 

I have packed too many clothes, I am far too excited and frankly I don’t care about either..

Looking forward to seeing what the next two weeks or so will bring 🙂

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, KS&JW said:

Weather in Florida does not look good later for the second half of this week.  Let's hope that what ever islands you are going to have a better forecast.  Have a wonderful, stress free holiday. 

Thank you - I saw the weather forecast for Miami, they are in for a cold (for them) few days, we are getting they’ll out of dodge at the right time!

Riviera is down to one engine I hear … it could be that we aren’t going anywhere… 

2 hours ago, ToxM said:

I always start these with the best intentions, have a great time and then stop updating. Apologies in advance. Take the lack of posting as a symptom of a bad case of having a lovely time. 

So here we are. I will update as and when, this certainly isn’t a day by day or anything like the really great TR’s people post. I’ll do my best, others on board can add as they see fit. the pics will be wonky, the joy will be real and the fun will be had. 

We leave for Heathrow tomorrow evening after I come back from the hairdressers. Night at the Marriott, then off to Heathrow to camp in the Virgin Clubhouse til our flight to Miami. We overnight at the Intercontinental and are taking a day after disembarkation to stay at The Betsy in South Beach before we leave.  

All the packing is done (apart from Marital Unit, but he’s a terrible packer and I take no responsibility for anything he puts in his case). There’s very noticeably less paperwork than my last two cruises and nothing will be shoved up my nose in preparation - apart from copious amounts of First Defence at the airport and on the flight. 

I am taking some home tests with us as a precaution - friends on Insignia have reported that testing is costing upwards of 250 bucks on there, so if I do think I have got the dreaded lurgy we can do our own tests. If we do catch it (not had it yet) I am taking a small library of books, have loaded up the iPad with TV shows and will happily sit on the balcony, have food bought and sit and enjoy the view while I recover. Let’s hope it doesn’t happen (I am bringing a selection of pharmaceuticals to deal with anything that we might get). If I can do Barbados for a week, TA to Barcelona, 2 days in Barcelona then Monaco to Barcelona 10 days later and not get it, maybe I am one of the lucky ones. Famous last words!

We are in a B3, the ship looks to be full. I have never been on holiday over the festive season, so I don’t know quite what to expect. I am looking at it as being no washing up, no buying loads of food in, no trips to see relatives, no paying huge amounts of money to heat our home and a respite from the horrible weather we have been having. We recently lost our dog (3 weeks ago). It was a tough last 6 months with him and the pain is still very real, although he hadn’t been well for a long time. We need a rest and a bit of time away to heal.

I am going to be eating great food, having a dip in the pool, maybe getting off the ship occasionally, having the odd cocktail, playing slots and playing poker and reading all these books I am taking with me. 

I have packed too many clothes, I am far too excited and frankly I don’t care about either..

Safe travels to Miami and wishing you a wonderful cruise. Will look forward to and appreciate anything you share about your upcoming adventure. Hope being away gives you time to heal from the loss of your dog. Bon Voyage!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ToxM said:

Enjoy your cruise, no matter the weather, a "bad" day on a cruise ship is better than a "great" day in December in Boston!  Bon voyage!!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

Condolences on the loss of your pet, allow yourself time to process it.  

Safe travels and when you have a moment could you tell us which terminal in Miami you are embarking from?

Thank you

While it is reported that Riviera will be berthed at Terminal J, the Port of Miami is notorious for reassigning ship locations. There will be 7 ships in port (a full house) and we have in the past been notified as we entered the port via electric signs that our ship was elsewhere. Somehow it all gets sorted out in the end. Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 2onboardagain said:

While it is reported that Riviera will be berthed at Terminal J, the Port of Miami is notorious for reassigning ship locations. There will be 7 ships in port (a full house) and we have in the past been notified as we entered the port via electric signs that our ship was elsewhere. Somehow it all gets sorted out in the end. Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you, I just got a notification from Oceania that the Sirena will be at terminal C for our upcoming cruise and wanted to make sure that was correct since I'm driving there.   

31 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

Condolences on the loss of your pet, allow yourself time to process it.  

Safe travels and when you have a moment could you tell us which terminal in Miami you are embarking from?

Thank you

Boarding pass shows J, but I have the POM app and will check as soon as I can on the app. 

It is going to be a very busy day at the port with lots of ships. I think Riviera has the latest sailaway time at 9pm - hope that gives them time to give that engine a good smack. 

• Like 3

@ToxM if you have time  can you check if  they are putting tray stands of treats on the tables  at tea time or is it still from the Trolley or the  table ?

Also if they put a door on the smoking area  in Horizons?

Thank  you

Will accept any photos you can post  of the new refurb even  upsidedown ones  🙂

Enjoy the cruise

Lyn

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

@ToxM if you have time  can you check if  they are putting tray stands of treats on the tables  at tea time or is it still from the Trolley or the  table ?

Also if they put a door on the smoking area  in Horizons?

Thank  you

Will accept any photos you can post  of the new refurb even  upsidedown ones  🙂

Enjoy the cruise

Lyn

Yeah I will definitely do this … I saw the pic on the official page youknowwhere and I thought it was new… I will check it out and see what the parameters are. 

Once again I will take one for Team Board… 😉

2 hours ago, ToxM said:

Installed at the Marriott Heathrow, early start in the AM. 

Next stop - Virgin Clubhouse at ridiculous O clock tomorrow. 

Safe travels! And looking forward to your posts! 🙂

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, ToxM said:

Installed into the Intercontinental, lucked out on the room….

13117904-70D9-43FC-8342-F3BA0E9D5099.jpeg

That's a nice view, you should be able to see the Riviera in the morning, if they're going to be at Terminal J. I think that's where that ship in the picture is docked at.

Enjoy your cruise, looking forward to your report. I was supposed to get on when you're getting off, but it'll be March before I make it.

Edited by ORV

1 hour ago, ORV said:

That's a nice view, you should be able to see the Riviera in the morning, if they're going to be at Terminal J. I think that's where that ship in the picture is docked at.

Enjoy your cruise, looking forward to your report. I was supposed to get on when you're getting off, but it'll be March before I make it.

I’ll be as thorough as I can 🙂

On 12/21/2022 at 6:33 AM, ToxM said:

Boarding pass shows J, but I have the POM app and will check as soon as I can on the app. 

It is going to be a very busy day at the port with lots of ships. I think Riviera has the latest sailaway time at 9pm - hope that gives them time to give that engine a good smack. 

She will be berthing at Terminal J today.