The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday December 23rd, 2022

rafinmd

Good morning all!

It's 26F (feels like 19) but the rain is back so I think the snow will soon be gone and temps warmer.

Happy Birthday @kochleffel!

We have been to Key West twice, the last time was just last month.  We've gone to the Hemingway House, walked the town, took the trolley tour, visited "Robert", took the Ghosts and Gravestones Tour, and the glass bottom boat tour.  My favorite was the Hemingway cats, of course. 😉 

Today I'll be baking apple pie, tomorrow roasting the turkey.  I was going to bring 2 pies, but there will be so many cookies, cakes etc. I decided against it.  

The roads are very icy, so we're just hunkering down until Sunday.  It should be much better then and just wet.

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon Dailyites!  Happy Festivus Friday!  DH has decided to join us, as he is the primary photographer in the family!  I take pictures of obscure things, and come up with the why later.

Todays computer weather post, says Wind Chill is a yellow triangle.  I think that covers most of the country.  I open the blinds, and it is very sunny, not a cloud in the sky.

@kochleffel- A Very Happy Birthday to you!

happy-birthday-cat06.jpg

Feral Fawn is on the porch, and while we did have the door ajar last night for Bubbles to join her before the temps dropped, he chose the box.  We tried to persuade him onto the porch and he took off.  He showed up this morning after the Uggles (son of Bubbles) had eaten most of the food, and again, I offered him the porch, but now he is wary.  So lonely Fawn is out there by herself, with a space heater,  I hung up blankets last night on the lower portion on the north side, the help insulate,  and she is at the sliding glass door, looking at the cats inside, and the wood burning stove.  

The first time we went to Key West was via a cruise with some friends we made on t our previous cruise, we did a lot of walking that day, got off the ship and headed to the Hemingway House, where I was bitten by a six toed Hemingway cat.  From there we went to the southern most point, where I purchased a print from a young artist, who ironically graduated from the college that was part of the Woodruff center where I worked.  then we made a left turn, and came up Duvall street,  (it was a very cold December day and everyone on the ship was buying  sweat shirts)  We lunched at Sloppy Joes, and then went to the Fisher museum. 

12 years later we went back (DH's current pictures.)  We steered clear of Sloppy Joes, but wandered the Mallory Square area,  found the sculpture garden outside the theatre.  The sculptures were mostly heads, with a plaque telling you who they were and their affect on Key West.  We had lunch at a great Cuban restaurant El Meson De Pepewhile chickens walked in the front door and wandered around the restaurant, some even heading back to the kitchen! Oh My!  I ordered chicken something, figuring it would be fresh.  The Aquarium was closed and being remodeled (this was this past September) and then went to the Art and History Museum.  After that, we got one of @RedneckBob's  favorite chocolate key lime pie on a stick.  They are amazing, the chocolate stays frozen, and the pie, is creamy.  A great end to another Key West visit.  

If the ships have more than 2K passengers, then they cant come into Key West, so I was very glad that Carnival kept at least two of their smaller ships. At least for now.

Stay safe, stay warm.

@StLouisCruisersstay safe on the roads tomorrow!

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sailingdutchy said:
BTW when we were in Key West in 2018  we saw this very strange , unmarked ship it looks like a huge catamaran and from what people told us it belongs to the US Navy . 

Than when we were on the Oosterdam a couple of months ago we saw it again in one of the ports in Europe , I believe it was in Italy again away from where we could have a good look at IT  up close.

Maybe @Copper10-8 or someone else of our CC family can tell us more  what this is and what it is used for .

Tony:classic_unsure::classic_unsure:

image.thumb.jpeg.6ccfb1e7b3874bec01ee2c4cb8d51f27.jpeg

Morning Tony, what you saw in Key West was the USNS Spearhead TEPF-1, a somewhat futuristic looking expeditionary fast transport twin-hull catamaran of the US Navy and the lead ship of the Spearhead class. There are current twelve EPF's in service, three more under construction and one on order

She officially belongs to the US Navy's Military Sealift Command. The Navy-owned ships carry blue and gold stack colors, are in service with the prefix USNS (United States Naval Ship), rather than in commission (with a USS prefix), have hull numbers as an equivalent commissioned ship would have with the prefix T- and are primarily civilian crewed by either civil service mariners or contract crews.

The EPF is able to transport US Army and US Marine Corps company-sized units with their vehicles, or can be reconfigured to become a troop transport for an infantry battalion.  The EPF has a flight deck for helicopters and a load ramp that will allow vehicles to quickly drive on and off the ship. The ramp is suitable for the types of austere piers and quay walls common in developing countries.

1920px-USNS_Spearhead_with_helicopter_during_sea_trials.jpg

USNS Burlington (T-EPF 10).jpg

1920px-Southern_Partnership_Station_2014_140830-N-QY430-051.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 17

37 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Good afternoon Dailyites!  Happy Festivus Friday!  DH has decided to join us, as he is the primary photographer in the family!  I take pictures of obscure things, and come up with the why later.

Todays computer weather post, says Wind Chill is a yellow triangle.  I think that covers most of the country.  I open the blinds, and it is very sunny, not a cloud in the sky.

@kochleffel- A Very Happy Birthday to you!

happy-birthday-cat06.jpg

Feral Fawn is on the porch, and while we did have the door ajar last night for Bubbles to join her before the temps dropped, he chose the box.  We tried to persuade him onto the porch and he took off.  He showed up this morning after the Uggles (son of Bubbles) had eaten most of the food, and again, I offered him the porch, but now he is wary.  So lonely Fawn is out there by herself, with a space heater,  I hung up blankets last night on the lower portion on the north side, the help insulate,  and she is at the sliding glass door, looking at the cats inside, and the wood burning stove.  

The first time we went to Key West was via a cruise with some friends we made on t our previous cruise, we did a lot of walking that day, got off the ship and headed to the Hemingway House, where I was bitten by a six toed Hemingway cat.  From there we went to the southern most point, where I purchased a print from a young artist, who ironically graduated from the college that was part of the Woodruff center where I worked.  then we made a left turn, and came up Duvall street,  (it was a very cold December day and everyone on the ship was buying  sweat shirts)  We lunched at Sloppy Joes, and then went to the Fisher museum. 

12 years later we went back (DH's current pictures.)  We steered clear of Sloppy Joes, but wandered the Mallory Square area,  found the sculpture garden outside the theatre.  The sculptures were mostly heads, with a plaque telling you who they were and their affect on Key West.  We had lunch at a great Cuban restaurant El Meson De Pepewhile chickens walked in the front door and wandered around the restaurant, some even heading back to the kitchen! Oh My!  I ordered chicken something, figuring it would be fresh.  The Aquarium was closed and being remodeled (this was this past September) and then went to the Art and History Museum.  After that, we got one of @RedneckBob's  favorite chocolate key lime pie on a stick.  They are amazing, the chocolate stays frozen, and the pie, is creamy.  A great end to another Key West visit.  

If the ships have more than 2K passengers, then they cant come into Key West, so I was very glad that Carnival kept at least two of their smaller ships. At least for now.

Stay safe, stay warm.

@StLouisCruisersstay safe on the roads tomorrow!

I was very lucky to work in Key West years ago for three weeks. I was in Federal Court and we lived at the Ocean Key House with rooms overlooking Mallory Square.  Every nite after dinner we would have one of those chocolate covered key lime pies on a stick (not battered and fried) 😀

• Like 11

I am almost ashamed to post here.  Like @durangoscotswe are having lovely, dry and warming weather!  I live west of the mountains, and the whole bad storm seems to be Denver and East.  Sorry.  My prayers are for safe travel for all those on the move, constant electricity for those in the affected area, and just a general well wish for everyone!

We lived in Florida for 19 years and never made it to Key West.  We had these things called pesky jobs and when we traveled it was either to Colorado, Illinois, or on a BHB.  I am "supposed" to go to Key West in April on the 5-day precursor to the Rotterdam TA (150th).  There is so much I want to see, but I am waiting for a while to schedule, because so many sailings have had Key West cancelled.

Yesterday's port of Hakodate was scheduled for our 2011 ill-fated Volendam cruise, so that was one of 4 Japanese ports that we didn't get to visit.  Earthquake, tsunami, and nuclear power plant made the decision for a re-routing of that cruise.

While I was at the grocery store this morning (third time to get a prescription), I just went ahead and picked up my prime rib for Christmas Dinner.  I just couldn't face the thought of going there tomorrow.  I am having 4 for dinner, and I figured if I need anything else, dinner will go on without said item.

Best wishes for a great day, and enjoy the visits with family and friends.

Mary Kay

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

Has it started raining iguanas yet ?

At home in NW Florida temps  it’s already freezing with wind chill 22. Here on East Coast it’s still in fifties but slowly cooling and will really get colder later tonight! Forgot my long Johns!

image.thumb.jpeg.576f2897250a478579fe6635567b396d.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Haha 12

Good afternoon from a still mostly sunny central Texas.  There are more clouds to the north, but at least, they are not thick dark clouds.  The good news is our temperature is 28F, above our predicted high, but we still have a pretty strong wind.

2 hours ago, durangoscots said:

It is sunny here, no wind and the temperature at 10am is 28F.  Highs for the next few days are forecast to be in the low 40s. While we need moisture, I am glad the storm and the cold is holding east of us. I am late this morning.... I woke up in the night, could not sleep so got up and did a few things around the house. Crawled back into bed about 5:30 and slept in. The dogs cooperated. Just having my first cup of coffee now. I think it will be a slow day.

One of my chores this morning before returning to bed was to clip together a set of doggie steps so  little Monty can get up on the sofa. It was a Christmas present to him and to me since I was getting tired of lifting him up 4 or 5 times an evening. Bandit jumps up there and Monty wants to be with "his" Bandit. Managed to get the steps put together with no damage to fingers and a minimum of cursing.

Today will be rearranging some furniture in my spare bedroom and, hopefully, putting some of the stuff stored in there in a trash. I also will make a quick trip the shelter to check on an expectant Mama dog. We are taking bets on when and how many. She is huge. Would rather be cruising.

Susan

Susan, glad you missed the worst of the storm.  Please let us know about the expectant Mama dog when she has her puppies and how many.

2 hours ago, catmando said:

Marshhawk, my DW, told me the port of the day was Key West.  So, for the first time, I thought I would post a few pictures.

Got to have coffee

DSC_0232.thumb.JPG.c7277648a2a27acaf37beee0ea6e6ce2.JPG
a view of the cityDSC_0240.thumb.JPG.f7a21de2421a7849499eb75375b8e4f0.JPGWhat's Key West without a chicken?DSC_0234.thumb.JPG.8aaa15e380a5b07fb291b6862498996b.JPG
A war memorial

DSC_0236.thumb.JPG.d3bfd566b880d9ac2ad47ed85ebec9fd.JPG

A memorial garden with Truman and Hemmingway protected from the sun with my hat

DSC_0238.thumb.JPG.6dc422d41cef63e0defbbd972eeac8ee.JPG

DSC_0237.thumb.JPG.e795e3fe5203e0065a08262c7cd4ff84.JPG 

our Coast Guard standing by

DSC_0241.thumb.JPG.f0e2e6799f273f78f56e56732092eff3.JPGI really enjoyed our brief stay, the weather was great and the food excellent.

Welcome to the Fleet/Daily.  Thank you for your pictures, and we hope to see you here again.

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

I had an interesting 12 hours or so this morning.  I was given 6 new prescriptions.  One was backordered by the pharmacy and I finally stopped waiting and picked them up yesterday.  I don't know if it was a side effect of one of the meds but last night I had to get up for the bathroom (fortunately the quick and easy way) so sleep was not the best quality.  I had planned a number of errands this morning but the weather forecast was ominous, and I decided to start pretty early before the worst of it hit.  I left the house about 7:30 and started at the Mall where I walked about 30 minutes and then  hit 3 grocery stores.  First was Wegmans, east of the Mall where I actually bought groceries.  It was 47 and raining when I left home and 42 and raining when I left the Mall.  It was 37 and still raining when I left Wegmans.  Next was the gas station and my primary grocery (west of home)   where I picked up the prescription that was not ready yesterday.   When I left there it was 34 and there was a brief snow squall.  The final stop was the grocery close to home where I picked up a package from an Amazon locker.

I was home about 10, I think pretty much just in time and the forecast is for a flash freeze tonight going down to single digit temps overnight and wind chills below zero.

Roy

Roy, you had a busy morning.  I'm glad your timing was good and you got home before things got bad.

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning! Thank you, Roy, for taking on so many duties here on CC, Happy birthday to @kochleffel today, and to our Sarah tomorrow.  Hope everyone stays well for the weekend.

Here things are quiet.  So far, so good!  There was freezing rain when Pat got up at first light to put out the hummingbird feeders, but he came back to bed and now it seems as if there is just a light dusting of snow on top of the foot and a half that was already there.  We were supposed to have snow then ice pellets and then freezing rain.  Hopefully now the temperature will begin rising and a warm rain will melt everything - then we're supposed to have some flooding.  Everyone is asked to clear their storm drains.

Today I will pack, so I don't have to think about it over the weekend.  I wake up in the middle of the night and spend my wakeful moments thinking about what I must remember to put out.  Pat will wait until Monday to pack, I'm sure.

At least the days have started to get longer again - Spring will be here soon!

Ann, I got tired of laying awake at night trying to remember what to pack for a cruise.  I now keep a list of what we usually pack on the computer.  When It's time to pack, I print it and then modify it to meet the needs of the cruise.  There is also a list for DH.

21 minutes ago, cruzn single said:

I am almost ashamed to post here.  Like @durangoscotswe are having lovely, dry and warming weather!  I live west of the mountains, and the whole bad storm seems to be Denver and East.  Sorry.  My prayers are for safe travel for all those on the move, constant electricity for those in the affected area, and just a general well wish for everyone!

We lived in Florida for 19 years and never made it to Key West.  We had these things called pesky jobs and when we traveled it was either to Colorado, Illinois, or on a BHB.  I am "supposed" to go to Key West in April on the 5-day precursor to the Rotterdam TA (150th).  There is so much I want to see, but I am waiting for a while to schedule, because so many sailings have had Key West cancelled.

Yesterday's port of Hakodate was scheduled for our 2011 ill-fated Volendam cruise, so that was one of 4 Japanese ports that we didn't get to visit.  Earthquake, tsunami, and nuclear power plant made the decision for a re-routing of that cruise.

While I was at the grocery store this morning (third time to get a prescription), I just went ahead and picked up my prime rib for Christmas Dinner.  I just couldn't face the thought of going there tomorrow.  I am having 4 for dinner, and I figured if I need anything else, dinner will go on without said item.

Best wishes for a great day, and enjoy the visits with family and friends.

Mary Kay

Mary Kay, I'm also glad you missed the worst of the storm.  It's good you have everything for your Christmas dinner and don't have to face the grocery store tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Morning Tony, what you saw in Key West was the USNS Spearhead TEPF-1, a somewhat futuristic looking expeditionary fast transport twin-hull catamaran of the US Navy and the lead ship of the Spearhead class. There are current twelve EPF's in service, three more under construction and one on order

She officially belongs to the US Navy's Military Sealift Command. The Navy-owned ships carry blue and gold stack colors, are in service with the prefix USNS (United States Naval Ship), rather than in commission (with a USS prefix), have hull numbers as an equivalent commissioned ship would have with the prefix T- and are primarily civilian crewed by either civil service mariners or contract crews.

The EPF is able to transport US Army and US Marine Corps company-sized units with their vehicles, or can be reconfigured to become a troop transport for an infantry battalion.  The EPF has a flight deck for helicopters and a load ramp that will allow vehicles to quickly drive on and off the ship. The ramp is suitable for the types of austere piers and quay walls common in developing countries.

1920px-USNS_Spearhead_with_helicopter_during_sea_trials.jpg

USNS Burlington (T-EPF 10).jpg

1920px-Southern_Partnership_Station_2014_140830-N-QY430-051.jpg

Thank you for the information about the Navy ship.  It's always nice to know what these new, somewhat weird ships can do.  We saw this one in Cartagena in 2014 on a Veendam Panama Canal cruise.

DSC01144.thumb.JPG.287dad9c187630e4a729a42830b661ae.JPG

Lenda

• Like 20

1 minute ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Thank you for the information about the Navy ship.  It's always nice to know what these new, somewhat weird ships can do.  We saw this one in Cartagena in 2014 on a Veendam Panama Canal cruise.

DSC01144.thumb.JPG.287dad9c187630e4a729a42830b661ae.JPG

Lenda

Morning Lenda; that's another interesting one; USS Coronado (LCS-4), a US Navy Independence-class trimaran littoral combat ship. She's no longer active, having been decommissioned on September 14 of this year at her home port of San Diego

US Navy 130823-N-EW716-001 USS Coronado conducts at-sea acceptance trials.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 7

Just now, sailingdutchy said:

Thanks very much John ( Jan )  @Copper10-8 for your pictures and explanation of the ship we had seen  a couple of times now , I did not know there were so many of those in service but it makes sense after what you told us . 

Prettige Kerstdagen en een Gelukkig Nieuw Jaar ! 

Ton :classic_smile:

En ook aan jou en je familie een Vrolijk Kersfeest en een Gelukkig Nieuw Jaar gewenst, Ton! / And also to you and your family Merry Christmas and Happy New Year wishes, Tony 🙂 

Voor jullie ook een GELUKKIG NIEUWJAAR EN VOORAL EEN GOEDE GEZONDHEID  ‼️‼️🥂 | Kerst woorden, Nieuwjaar, Kerstwensen

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good day all!  Huge shout out to Roy!  Wishing everyone safe travels!  still minus a gazillion but hopefully breaking tomorrow!    Had good news on the MRI, looks like I had a kidney stone that wreaked havoc,  things have improved thankfully. 

Enjoyed the photos of key west, it has been decades since we visited!
And the cookies all look great! 

@smitty34877 sending extra hugs and prayers your way!  

@Copper10-8 thanks for the photos and explanations on the ships. DH was interested. 

@kochleffel happy birthday! 

3DA47479-6DD1-46C2-BB18-49AED23ED486.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Morning Lenda; that's another interesting one; USS Coronado (LCS-4), a US Navy Independence-class trimaran littoral combat ship. She's no longer active, having been decommissioned on September 14 of this year at her home port of San Diego

US Navy 130823-N-EW716-001 USS Coronado conducts at-sea acceptance trials.jpg

That ship went through the Panama Canal ahead of us a few years back.

• Like 12

We're not supposed to see much more snow, but the temperature is already down to 8°. Outdoor menorah lighting is cancelled (as a group, I mean; someone will do it quickly).

Me, to the Junior Cat: "Are you hungry or are you getting ready to throw up?" (It was the latter.)

At leasat we don't have to watch for falling iguanas.

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 12
  • Haha 9

@rafinmdThank you for getting our day started today!

Well, I'm going to be brave, go down the hill to get the mail, bring in firewood, and pet the Fawn.  Not necessarily in that order.  And before the suns sets.

It was very nice, not to have to walk the dog today.  Her mom was home for the holidays!

• Like 18

It is a chilly 7F here with windchills to -16F.   Brrrr.

Chocolate Pecan Pie is made. 

Apple Streusel Caramel Walnut Pie is made.

Blueberry Crumb Pie is made.

I'm done for the day.  And, for once, I am not wearing as much pie as there is in the pie plate.

• Like 16
  • Haha 6