Maine Lobster Tail-Dining

cruisekitty22

18 minutes ago, cruisekitty22 said:

Does Celebrity serve Maine lobster tails in any of their restaurants on any ships?   First timer for Celebrity.

We have had Maine lobster tails on the Solstice in Alaska out of Seattle.  That was surprising.  Don't expect to get Maine lobster in the Caribbean, even in the uncharge Specialty Restaurants.  If you do order lobster, we ask for melted butter  instead of the white cream sauce.

Seafood tower at raw on 5

There are blind taste tests where new englanders taste both Maine and spiny tail meat and pick the spiny version…Spiny lobsters are sweeter…With that being said, the claws are my favorite which are only on Maine lobsters

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

There are blind taste tests where new englanders taste both Maine and spiny tail meat and pick the spiny version…

I find that really hard to believe.  The difference is so great.  

• Like 4

Food is very subjective; as I stated, I personally prefer Maine lobster.  It isn't just species, there's hard and soft shell, size, freshness and most importantly if it's cooked correctly.  You can go to anywhere in the country, find a red lobster, pick out your fresh maine lobster and it'll be cooked to perfection because if the cook can't make lobster right they won't last wrong.  Same can't be said about cruise ships, often lobster is overcooked.  If one really cares about strangers lobster preference, feel free to use google.  Here's one video

The real reason that there is little to no taste difference between the rock lobster tails and the Maine lobster tails served on ships is that they are both frozen.  Even when they serve a whole Maine lobster, it will generally be frozen.  Ships don't have live tanks to keep lobsters alive until cooking.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Bostonian here. There's a real difference in taste between the two. The first time I had a rock lobster tail I thought that there was something wrong with it until I found out it was different species., and personally, I think the American Lobster is sweeter

• Like 2

On 12/26/2022 at 2:32 PM, Baystate said:

Bostonian here. There's a real difference in taste between the two. The first time I had a rock lobster tail I thought that there was something wrong with it until I found out it was different species., and personally, I think the American Lobster is sweeter

Agree 100% -  Once you have a fresh Live Maine Lobster you will never go back.   Years back when in college I worked at a Lobster Place in Massachusetts -   Thursday was double Lobster Night two 1 1/2 pound lobsters for $7.99.    Oppps I guess I'm showing my age.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Agree 100% -  Once you have a fresh Live Maine Lobster you will never go back.   Years back when in college I worked at a Lobster Place in Massachusetts -   Thursday was double Lobster Night two 1 1/2 pound lobsters for $7.99.    Oppps I guess I'm showing my age.

Now that is what I would call an example of the "good ol' days."  

Another from my past was a place named Catfish King's  ==  All the fried catfish and hushpuppies you could eat for $1.25.  They had a special once for $1.99 for all the fried shrimp and hushpuppies.  I tried to eat them out of business.  It was right across the street from where I was going to High School..

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Now that is what I would call an example of the "good ol' days."  

Another from my past was a place named Catfish King's  ==  All the fried catfish and hushpuppies you could eat for $1.25.  They had a special once for $1.99 for all the fried shrimp and hushpuppies.  I tried to eat them out of business.  It was right across the street from where I was going to High School..

You ate shoes 🤔😁

• Haha 1

I had a surf and turf on EDGE in Fine Cut with Maine lobster. 

Maine Lobster or any North Atlantic lobster is the best IMO.  They are true lobsters (distinguished by claws).

Spiny Lobsters (among other names like rock lobsters) are warm water species and are related to crawfish.  They are not true lobsters.   But whatever one likes is fine.  Usually ships have these large crawfish and call them lobster on the menu.   

On 12/27/2022 at 8:34 PM, Jim_Iain said:

This past summer a lobster roll in Maine was $30-$35 so outrageous like everything else these days!

24 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

This past summer a lobster roll in Maine was $30-$35 so outrageous like everything else these days!

Wow, did you catch the wrong places.  I saw dinners of two 1-1/8 lb lobsters for about that price.  Most rolls were $25, or so.  But, then again, I can make two rolls for about $15 from one bug.  😉

• Like 1

Interesting tidbit - when you order a “Maine lobster” onboard or in a US restaurant, it could have been caught in Canadian waters by Canadian fishermen.  Same species as found off New England and Canada exports huge quantities of live lobster from Atlantic Canada to the US.  The lobster all end up in the same tank as American-caught ones and there is no way to tell the difference.  And I agree, the northwest Atlantic lobster (Homarus americanus) is much tastier than the warm water varieties.  But then, food taste is awfully subjective!

On 12/26/2022 at 3:06 PM, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

We had lobster tails in Murano in September. In the Caribbean. 
it was very good..cooked tableside with a great sauce. 
sheila

When I last ate in Murano, I wanted the lobster but not the cream sauce and the server said that he could prepare it with a mustard sauce.  Wasn't sure how that would work out as I never heard of that type of presentation, but it was delicious and I was able to indulge in dessert with less guilt😁

• Like 1

Guest 4-2-N-8

Come on, you guys. It's a known fact that lobsters fall in love and mate for life.

You're eating the love out of a wonderful (crustacean) partnership!

Edited by 4-2-N-8

Maine lobsters are the best by a long shot.  Go to Maine and get them right off of the boat.

The ahem cruise lobsters fall way short.

While I do like the Murano lobster it does not come close to a Maine lobster.

Edited by NMTraveller