New $9.95 + 18% grat for room service

Elros

1 hour ago, hubofhockey said:

So basically $120 for ten days to eat breakfast on the balcony.  Booked a fare that includes $400 OBC, so this seems like a decent use of that. The rest goes to gym/spa.  

Continental breakfast is fee until 11AM.

21 minutes ago, omeinv said:

Yes you should if you want it.  Lots of things cost money now that used to be included in the price of something (e.g bag fees on airlines, estimates on home improvement work, etc).  As the consumer the choice is not to pay or not pay, it's to patronize the business that charges the fee or not.  If I don't like Delta's bag fee, I either don't check bags or fly Southwest.  If I have to have bags, and Delta is the only airline flying the route, I pay the fee.  If I don't like Celebrity's room service fee, and free room service is the reason I cruise, I shop for a different cruise line that doesn't have the fee (BTW those are going to be far more than $10.00 a day more expensive).  Otherwise, I find an alternative way to get fed. 

Harris

Denver, CO

^^THIS!

Thats the beauty of consumerism......my money, my choice. Your money, your choice!

12 hours ago, prmssk said:

It's not showing for my May Eclipse cruise either.  And someone currently on the Edge reported this week that it wasn't showing for them (and they hadn't been charged for room service).  I don't think this has fully rolled out.

I'm on Edge next week and my app only shows the $4.95 late night fee. Will be interesting to see for myself what changes I have read about are actually in effect yet.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CaroleSS said:

^^THIS!

Thats the beauty of consumerism......my money, my choice. Your money, your choice!

If people don’t like a la carte cruising, or at least the basic level of cruising with Celebrity, maybe another line works better.  Maybe there will be a realignment of passenger choices.  I used to love the bigger ships.  Now, I love M class and want to more of the real small ships on Azamara and Oceania. We change as much as these cruise lines do.

On 1/1/2023 at 4:37 PM, goofysmom99 said:

Maybe they could add room service to Elite Plus benefits.  😉

I just read on "That Other Site" that they waived if for Zenith's.   It's one of the few perks given to Zenith's.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

Yes, you should use up 30% of the value of your OBC to get what has been included in your multi-thousand dollar fare for 35 years

I don’t look at it that way.  I look at the charge and airline charges for bags (some charge for carryons now) as part of my cost.  I compare what I expect to spend on a certain cruise on one line against another and decide on the one that gives me better value.  I could go on Azamara and everything would be included and experience would be better, but pay more overall.  It’s all relative.  In this case, I view the $400 as an amount X gives to allocate where I want it to go. It’s part of the price, but an amount that has to be spent.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, hubofhockey said:

I don’t look at it that way.  I look at the charge and airline charges for bags (some charge for carryons now) as part of my cost.  I compare what I expect to spend on a certain cruise on one line against another and decide on the one that gives me better value.  I could go on Azamara and everything would be included and experience would be better, but pay more overall.  It’s all relative.  In this case, I view the $400 as an amount X gives to allocate where I want it to go. It’s part of the price, but an amount that has to be spent.  

Well a week ago you wouldn't have had to allocate 1/3 of it to getting room service delivered.  

Maybe next week you'll have to allocate 1/3 to toilet paper. 

Market choice and all 

some people embrace downgrades as gifts 

Edited by LMaxwell
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

Well a week ago you wouldn't have had to allocate 1/3 of it to getting room service delivered.  

Maybe next week you'll have to allocate 1/3 to toilet paper. 

Market choice and all 

some people embrace downgrades as gifts 

It’s nothing more than a price adjustment.  If they had raised costs of new cruises $50, you wouldn’t even have noticed.  Quite honestly, I am a little more alarmed at the increase in the price of Aqua class (over standard verandah cabins).

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, hubofhockey said:

It’s nothing more than a price adjustment.  If they had raised costs of new cruises $50, you wouldn’t even have noticed.  Quite honestly, I am a little more alarmed at the increase in the price of Aqua class (over standard verandah cabins).

Price adjustments right before boarding are odd to me, putting it nicely.  I have long said throw in a few percent to the cost of the cruise and stop cutting stuff out.  I don't quite get the point of Aqua. One addtl restaurant but not a suite

15 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Price adjustments right before boarding are odd to me, putting it nicely.  I have long said throw in a few percent to the cost of the cruise and stop cutting stuff out.  I don't quite get the point of Aqua. One addtl restaurant but not a suite

We only sail Aqua class when the price differential is small. We do enjoy the ambiance and service in Blu, but if the difference is large we'd rather eat in specialty restaurants a few nights and can certainly enjoy the MDR. The pricing lately has gone up exponentially so the nickel and diming makes no sense. All it does is antagonize long time loyal customers who are accustomed to a certain level of service and amenities from X. Charge for the product and stop playing pickpocket once we're aboard!!!

Edited by Luvcrusn
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Luvcrusn said:

We only sail Aqua class when the price differential is small. We do enjoy the ambiance and service in Blu, but if the difference is large we'd rather eat in specialty restaurants a few nights and can certainly enjoy the MDR. The pricing lately has gone up exponentially so the nickel and diming makes no sense. All it does is antagonize long time loyal customers who are accustomed to a certain level of service and amenities from X. Charge for the product and stop playing pickpocket once we're aboard!!!

Maybe they are going through an identity crisis and they currently identify as Disney, where the motto is raise the price to whatever we want and they will still come

16 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Maybe they are going through an identity crisis and they currently identify as Disney, where the motto is raise the price to whatever we want and they will still come

That does seem a fair comparison.  We took our grandkids to Disney the week before our last cruise.  But Disney doesn't offer discounts through travel agents of 50%.

Here's something I don't understand, if it's all about staffing for service (at least as far as breakfast goes).  It's free for me to get a bagel, some cereal & fruit, some yogurt and a pot of coffee and tea.  No charge.  But if I want two fried eggs and a piece of toast, suddenly there's a service component that doesn't exist /without/ the eggs being on the plate?  It still requires the kitchen staff to plate and cover.  It still requires someone to deliver.  It still requires someone to pick up the plates when I'm done.  The amount of effort is no different.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Jobeth66 said:

Here's something I don't understand, if it's all about staffing for service (at least as far as breakfast goes).  It's free for me to get a bagel, some cereal & fruit, some yogurt and a pot of coffee and tea.  No charge.  But if I want two fried eggs and a piece of toast, suddenly there's a service component that doesn't exist /without/ the eggs being on the plate?  It still requires the kitchen staff to plate and cover.  It still requires someone to deliver.  It still requires someone to pick up the plates when I'm done.  The amount of effort is no different.

On an order by order basis, no. But it discourages people from ordering room service in the first place. Less orders absolutely does mean less effort and less staff required. 

10 minutes ago, prmssk said:

On an order by order basis, no. But it discourages people from ordering room service in the first place. Less orders absolutely does mean less effort and less staff required. 

I get that for 20 hours a day.  But for the 4 hours of breakfast service, I don't - many people are going to order at least coffee even if they don't order food.  I guess there is a certain percentage who are going to say 'well,, if I have to go to the buffet or MDR for breakfast anyway, I might as well wait for coffee',, but my guess is that number is not going to be significant - many will get an initial pot of coffee while waking up and then just get more when they go for breakfast.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I know that's how it'll be for us - hubby will want coffee before he goes out into the world, and I like my tea in the morning - so we'll get that while we are getting ready to go to breakfast.  I can't imagine we'll be the exception.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jobeth66 said:

I get that for 20 hours a day.  But for the 4 hours of breakfast service, I don't - many people are going to order at least coffee even if they don't order food.  I guess there is a certain percentage who are going to say 'well,, if I have to go to the buffet or MDR for breakfast anyway, I might as well wait for coffee',, but my guess is that number is not going to be significant - many will get an initial pot of coffee while waking up and then just get more when they go for breakfast.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I know that's how it'll be for us - hubby will want coffee before he goes out into the world, and I like my tea in the morning - so we'll get that while we are getting ready to go to breakfast.  I can't imagine we'll be the exception.

That's exactly what we've always done and will continue to do.

• Like 1

My most cherished moments on a cruise are having an early hot coffee and buttery croissant on the balcony in the early morning followed by a light breakfast of eggs and fruit, wrapped in my robe and watching the ocean. It's one of the reasons we usually book at least concierge or Aqua for their expanded room service menu.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

My most cherished moments on a cruise are having an early hot coffee and buttery croissant on the balcony in the early morning followed by a light breakfast of eggs and fruit, wrapped in my robe and watching the ocean. It's one of the reasons we usually book at least concierge or Aqua for their expanded room service menu.

I think we've lost that expanded menu.  😪

On 1/1/2023 at 11:47 AM, Elros said:

In the app for some sailings it appears there is now a $9.95 + 18% gratuity for all room service aside from continental breakfast items. This new policy isn’t currently showing up for all sailings yet (this screenshot is from the current reflection sailing in the app). 

Sad if this is the policy going forward. Really enjoyed Celebrity for having “everything included” but it looks like they are trying to find more ways to nickel and dime their customers. 

0CD46D99-0C66-4C1A-A6C6-97467645093C.png

So much for “premium”.  More and more mass-market with each passing day.  

14 minutes ago, Jobeth66 said:

Maybe for the serious coffee/tea drinkers who need/want that first cup to wake up.  But not everyone uses room service the same way.  Although I would sometimes order a hot breakfast through room service, I have absolutely no interest in just continental breakfast.  I'd rather walk up to the buffet or head to the MDR.  I realize not everyone is like me but I think there are enough with this mindset that it will make a difference in the number of breakfast room service orders.

6 minutes ago, chamima said:

I think we've lost that expanded menu.  😪

Or they want to charge $9.95 + gratuity each time we exercise the privilege.🤬

When we have an early shore excursion is was so convenient to order room service breakfast while getting dressed. 

Edited by Luvcrusn

38 minutes ago, Jobeth66 said:

There is no time constraints involved in the bagel, cereal, fruit, etc. order so those can be plated ahead of time and set aside until delivery time.  

With the order of cooked items, there is an expectation that those foods will be hot when delivered so they cannot be prepared in advance, unlike the others.  

39 minutes ago, prmssk said:

And less wasted food in the buffet.