Live From The Dawn

Lois R

Thanks for taking us along lois. The Dawn is our favourite ship right now but we board the Moon in 70 days from now .Hopefully it is at least a tie.

As we are in Australia your football matches are often in the wee small hours and no more than 1 live match on the weekend. Might get both the Friday and Saturday match of the day now it is the playoffs.

Welcome home Lois!  Any recommendations or "need to knows" about this ship?  Not sure about this dining arrangement with reservations required a couple of nights more than I am used to.  Am taking my cousin on her first Ss cruise so we will have fun no matter what.  We board Jan 30!

Missy in Maryland

15 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning, MJ? Did we cruise together all those years ago? 

I don't know if Russ does a solo act to be honest with you. I don't recall seeing anything in the Chronical about it but this cruise I didn't go to any shows either.

As for my favorite ship, both Moon and Dawn would be up there😀

Yes, it was the Equinox Greek Isles RT from Rome.  I found it in my travel diary today.  Thank you for your info.  

11 hours ago, SkystheLimit said:

Yes, it was the Equinox Greek Isles RT from Rome.  I found it in my travel diary today.  Thank you for your info.  

omg.....that was way back in 2012.......it was my first cruise to the Med........it will always hold a special place for me as I had lost my Dad a few months before that cruise.  I had never been to any of the places before that time..........wow.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MHF said:

Welcome home Lois!  Any recommendations or "need to knows" about this ship?  Not sure about this dining arrangement with reservations required a couple of nights more than I am used to.  Am taking my cousin on her first Ss cruise so we will have fun no matter what.  We board Jan 30!

Missy in Maryland

Hi Missy, need to know? The Salt Bar is my favorite spot😃.  Afzul is the bartender and he should be there for your sailing......tell him hi! 

I did not make any reservations on line this cruise.  I ate on my own twice in 10 nights and that was by choice.  The other nights? Had dinner with staff multiple times as well. Other nights I dined with other guests I had met. 

16 hours ago, crusinbanjo said:

Right now it is looking like Mrs Banjo and I will be on the Dawn in October.  Deciding if we should do Port to Port with a Deposit, or take the 15% discount and pay in full now.   HMMM any suggestions?

Economically it just comes down to if you can make 15% on your money over that period of time after taxes.   Given the financial condition of the cruise lines I'm reluctant to give them the entire  amount.  If there is an issue I guess you will probably (never experienced this just read it here) get your money back from the credit card company or travel insurance but that sounds like a pain.  Some say I worry too much.  Enjoy.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Heck no! It's called risk assessment. 

Probably from my assessments resulting in me getting my asses handed to me too many times.

My post should have said the 15% because you would actually need to make 25%.

$10000 cruise after 25% down you give 6k ($8500 total) upfront or 7.5 later. 1500/6000 = 25%.

If that's how the discount works.

Sorry.

• Thanks 1

On 1/17/2023 at 9:18 AM, Lois R said:

Hi Missy, need to know? The Salt Bar is my favorite spot😃.  Afzul is the bartender and he should be there for your sailing......tell him hi! 

I did not make any reservations on line this cruise.  I ate on my own twice in 10 nights and that was by choice.  The other nights? Had dinner with staff multiple times as well. Other nights I dined with other guests I had met. 

Hi Lois - thanks for the posts as we're boarding the Dawn next week.  Just curious - the paperwork we received said they would peform a daily temperature check in the suites.  Did they actually still do that daily?

Thanks again - Bob

Just now, mitz18 said:

Hi Lois - thanks for the posts as we're boarding the Dawn next week.  Just curious - the paperwork we received said they would peform a daily temperature check in the suites.  Did they actually still do that daily?

Thanks again - Bob

Hi Bob, nope, no temperature checks. I think that email you received has never been updated.

Just now, Lois R said:

Hi Bob, nope, no temperature checks. I think that email you received has never been updated.

Typical lol - thanks.  Have not been on SS for a few years so looking forward to it, although much has changed no doubt.  I remember the very first SS cruise we took (20 yrs ago maybe) was in the MED & we got a list of all 275 passengers on board with names and home towns. Like the members of a club - and no tie, no dinner  🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 1/16/2023 at 5:56 PM, Lois R said:

As for the ports, I only got off the ship in Domonica........did a trolley tour around the island with a stop at some botanical gardens, along with seeing some parrots and having liquid refreshment. Tour Guide was quite good.   Other than that? I was really lazy this cruise and never got off the ship

Appreciate ALL of these great comments and follow-ups regarding Lois' Caribbean trip.  Wonderful sharing in many ways!!  

On the question of Silversea shifting to things being "all-inclusive" including excursions, Lois' experience raises a legitimate and an important question, IMO.

If Lois only did one ship excursion during her cruise, for at Dominica, then did she get her "money's worth" in value since those ship tour were basically added into the overall price tag??  Personally, I would rather pay the lower price and not have the so-called "free" excursions included.  Right or wrong?

As for Dominica, it is one of super favorites.  It is not a typical, over-developed Caribbean island, too crowded with cruise ships and failing to offer any feel for the people and the island character/charm there.  Need proof for Dominica?  Below are just three visuals from there. 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 70,772 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Dominica's "natural charm" is wonderful.  So green with heavy forests, flowing waters, etc.  Below is from our rubber-tube float we did in a very scenic, wooded area of the island.  Second are two visuals from the "festival" that we were lucky enough to observe during our day there.  Lots of old, historic buildings in the main downtown, etc.  Love Dominica, the music, people, etc.!!:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

image.thumb.jpeg.c44507318c19e6115f55f3b86381678d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f973a4146eabae3cedf62f0bdaceb5fd.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1b38e797cf6b190772dd58f4865c8f84.jpeg

• Like 2

Though the recent prepaid offer for some cruises port to port is not at all attractive if you had already booked it door to door. We have a cruise booked in October. The first of 3 segments is now offered as port to port with a discount the next 2 aren't.

so we asked our TA whether we would save much changing that first segment, Answer was hardly anything and you would lose your current bookings and rebook all segments. Meaning no guarantee of same suite,loosing some benefits such as OBC,B2B discount and the credit we had for travel to the cruise such as transfers and Air which we never use.

I did think there would be a catch when i asked but even the cynic in me underestimated the result.

Edited by drron29
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

a typical, over-developed Caribbean island, too crowded with cruise ships and failing to offer any feel for the people and the island character/charm there

I must say that those islands do indeed have unique character and charm, it's just not on display at the cruise port.  It's up to us cruisers to seek it out.  This probably also argues against the included tour approach, as independent exploration can lead to the best opportunities to experience a place.

9 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

If Lois only did one ship excursion during her cruise, for at Dominica, then did she get her "money's worth" in value since those ship tour were basically added into the overall price tag??  Personally, I would rather pay the lower price and not have the so-called "free" excursions included.  Right or wrong?

Terry, the same argument has been made for years about included alcoholic drinks for those who don't drink or drink minimally. People have to decide if there's enough about the experience on a cruise line which they value that the included features they don't utilize aren't important — or choose another cruise line which better aligns with the things you want. 

Many people would prefer a la carte pricing for certain amenities/expenses, but their management has decided it's better to sell an all-inclusive experience. Regent has been doing this for years, and SS management obviously decided they needed to step up to compete. The SS Blacklane addition is the latest element in this we're-more-all-inclusive-than-you arms war of inclusions. 

• Like 2

I think Terry @TLCOhioraises an interesting point.  We board Dawn next week for B2B cruises.  As we are cruising in the Caribbean we would not normally book shore excursions but thought we would "take advantage" as they are included in the price.  Well, a few weeks ago we received an email from Silversea indicating that at least two of the excursions had been cancelled and to book new ones.  Guess what - anything else that was of any interest or that we felt physically capable of booking were completely full so we've gone on waitlists.  No mention of pricing reductions/credits if "included" shore excrusions are not available.

@mitz18 - we may be on the same cruise - do you board in San Juan?  Sounds like we received the same pre-embarkation email including information about crew  wearing masks and other things which appear to be no longer relevant.  I wonder if the 2:00 pm boarding time still stands?

2 hours ago, netpj said:

I think Terry @TLCOhioraises an interesting point.  We board Dawn next week for B2B cruises.  As we are cruising in the Caribbean we would not normally book shore excursions but thought we would "take advantage" as they are included in the price.  Well, a few weeks ago we received an email from Silversea indicating that at least two of the excursions had been cancelled and to book new ones.  Guess what - anything else that was of any interest or that we felt physically capable of booking were completely full so we've gone on waitlists.  No mention of pricing reductions/credits if "included" shore excrusions are not available.

@mitz18 - we may be on the same cruise - do you board in San Juan?  Sounds like we received the same pre-embarkation email including information about crew  wearing masks and other things which appear to be no longer relevant.  I wonder if the 2:00 pm boarding time still stands?

Good morning, I got to the pier about 1:00 and was on board the ship before 1:30. So at least for my sailing, we were on board at least 30 minutes before 2:00.  I don't know if this change is happening going forward for all sailings or not but I was sitting at the pool bar and enjoying a libation🙂

14 hours ago, drron29 said:

Though the recent prepaid offer for some cruises port to port is not at all attractive if you had already booked it door to door. We have a cruise booked in October. The first of 3 segments is now offered as port to port with a discount the next 2 aren't.

so we asked our TA whether we would save much changing that first segment, Answer was hardly anything and you would lose your current bookings and rebook all segments. Meaning no guarantee of same suite,loosing some benefits such as OBC,B2B discount and the credit we had for travel to the cruise such as transfers and Air which we never use.

I did think there would be a catch when i asked but even the cynic in me underestimated the result.

This is really case by case basis. Take a look at the following cruise for example:

image.png.53b3a143b4ea1d83fa4ad3645a62ff6d.png

d2d is $6,800, or you can take $500 air credit. Flight cost is around $800. So p2p was already almost $1,000 CAD cheaper even before the 15% discount.

We found that d2d are rarely attractive. We won't book any more SS cruises unless p2p is available. The price difference is huge, much more than the cost of the flight and transfers. For European cruises it's about $2,500-3,000 CAD while economy flights can be booked for $1,100-1,300 CAD.

4 hours ago, ak1004 said:

We found that d2d are rarely attractive. We won't book any more SS cruises unless p2p is available. The price difference is huge, much more than the cost of the flight and transfers.

While this is true, they have added the "poison pill" provision of a non-refundable deposit with P2P fares. If you're booking cruise a few months in advance, this isn't an issue. But if you're booking a year or two or more in advance, in exchange for your lower fare, you're locking in that nothing in your life or the world will change such that you might want to cancel or switch to another cruise. To me, that's the biggest reason to steer clear of the P2P fares in many cases.

• Like 3

I am on the Dawn right now, so I will keep  the "live from" scene going.  I usually get a spa treatment while on board, so I sprung for the "Otium Experience".  It is a 100 minute massage for $400, which includes an 18% tip.  There is also a 75 minute massage for $299, so either way it is $4/minute.

The Otium Experience is one of four Otium massages available.  It included a choice of oils.  The process involved both traditional Swedish techniques and hot stones/heated salt stones. The masseuse did a good job as always.  All massages  and body treatments include use of the "Relaxation Room", hot and dry saunas.  The RR has lounges and snacks (chocolates, fruits) and had a big tub of iced champagne although none of the bottles were open and there were no glasses (it was later in the afternoon and the place did not appear to be regularly freshened up). It is a round low lit room with soft music.  I have seen similar rooms as a part of spa's available at upscale Las Vegas hotels and resorts.  You can stay there as long as you want, which may be impacted by how comfortable you feel sitting au buffo in a thin waffle weave robe in a multi-gender venue.  The saunas are separated by gender.

As value for money, I estimate that SS increased the price of all treatments about 20% for the Otium concept.  With all of the hype about Otium  hedonism and pampering, I kinda expected to be served rare tidbits by Pompeii re-enactors while I luxuriated, but it was ok.  I think I will stick to the 75 minute offering in the future.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1