Live From The Dawn

Lois R

8 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Some pax even grease the palm of crew, who then place the books on the designated loungers when setting up the deck for the day, as early as 7 am. 

Grrrr, it makes me want to sit on that lounger right after my swim, sans towel.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On my Muse cruise I took great delight when we got a sudden afternoon downpour/thunderstorm

I did not feel sorry at all for the person who had reserved their lounger by leaving their iPad on it. No, it wasn’t left behind accidentally.  They also left a hat and sunglasses.   They reserved the same spot each day, all day.

• Haha 5

8 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

And then…what about that spray sunscreen that pollutes the air and goes on the pax next to the sprayer…and the deck and the lounger and the towels.

my personal preference is to have a towel on the lounger, even if i am fully clothed and bundled up in the cold weather in the sun. The towel protects the lounger, the pax and then, when i get up to leave i put my towel in the dirty towel bin. Lounger can be refreshed with new towel for next user.

as pointed out, many pax claim their lounger as personal property for the entire day, using such tools as books they have borrowed from the library aboard. Some pax even grease the palm of crew, who then place the books on the designated loungers when setting up the deck for the day, as early as 7 am. 

And that is why they need a dedicated person in charge of the pool.  Have the rules and enforce the rules.  Lounge hogs are lounge hogs and only think about themself and how important they are…………

On 1/29/2023 at 5:11 PM, MrsWaldo said:

On my Muse cruise I took great delight when we got a sudden afternoon downpour/thunderstorm

I did not feel sorry at all for the person who had reserved their lounger by leaving their iPad on it. No, it wasn’t left behind accidentally.  They also left a hat and sunglasses.   They reserved the same spot each day, all day.

I Always try to be really helpful and when I see items left on the pool deck I take them straight to reception to hand them in as lost property. People never seem as grateful as they should be though. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 14

The following happened in Mexico maybe 20 years ago:

A family of 4 who happened to be German (not that the nationality is particularly relevant) would, each morning, put their towels and sundries on 4 loungers then sod off until early afternoon. The pool area was large but there were fewer loungers than people sometimes. On one of those occasions we, as a family of 4, also decided that we'd like those reserved loungers. So we neatly removed the items, laid them on the ground and took the loungers to another area of the pool surround.

When Herr und Frau Entitledgruber turned up they got really cross. I mean shouting out loud angry. They went round the pool asking who had stolen "their" loungers. Luckily I cannot only speak German but have the full range of explicit words and phrases needed in the full and frank discussion that followed. He was a big man but I reckoned I could run faster (the first line of self-defence being a good 400 metres time). 

Anyway, we never saw them again although the hotel manager spoke to me and said I should have asked one of the staff to sort out the loungers - like that would have worked! 

This is now what we always do. If someone has clearly left their things to reserve space that we want we simply do as DW suggests above. It works. If only everyone stood up to the sort of self-entitled narcissists that feel they have a right to deprive others of facilities then I think we'd all rub along much better. 

Edit to add that I'm a naturally placid character but on the rare occasion that some pompous oaf acts selfishly it lights my blue touchpaper. They only get away with it because nobody stands up to them. 

Edited by Tothesunset
  • Like 11
  • Haha 4

and the pool lounger war rages on!  I don't condone anyone hogging loungers but it seems to me that the responsibility is on the the cruise lines.  If they had a defined and enforced reservation system say in 4 hour blocks there wouldn't be lounge hogging or dirty towels.  Never gonna happen right? 

Sounds like this gets ugly.

Edited by RetiredandTravel

Tothesunset,

That all seems pretty straightforward, and the Silversea way of cruising ultimately prevailed.

I am on a Seabourn ship now and I have to report for everyone’s edification that there can always be twists in this road. We know from early cruises here (not now, thank God), a grasping and bullying couple from the Low Counties starting with N (not that this makes any difference, just to clarify) who se practice is to reserve 4 loungers daily so they have sun and shade choices. When they or their books etc are shifted after 30 minutes of non-utilisation by passengers or even diligent crew they are absolutely dangerous to the point of engineering near fights. Then one day, obviously deciding to raise the stakes, this couple changed tacts by tipping deck staff (these don’t report to the HD but do report to the Staff Capt) setup the loungers by 6am daily. That would then appear to be an institutionalised event, not to be challenged. And who suffers? Of course the passengers and the victimized deck staff who might get dressed down. Can you imagine?

Anyway, I believe measures should follow up to/including barring antisocial bullies from cruise ships due to cause, whether it’s dining room bullying, deck bullying, pool use bullying or whatever. And that no one should be allowed to abuse us or the brand, for that matter. There are always remedies,  including not returning that cruise line.

Happy and healthy sailing!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, markham said:

Tothesunset,

That all seems pretty straightforward, and the Silversea way of cruising ultimately prevailed.

I am on a Seabourn ship now and I have to report for everyone’s edification that there can always be twists in this road. We know from early cruises here (not now, thank God), a grasping and bullying couple from the Low Counties starting with N (not that this makes any difference, just to clarify) who se practice is to reserve 4 loungers daily so they have sun and shade choices. When they or their books etc are shifted after 30 minutes of non-utilisation by passengers or even diligent crew they are absolutely dangerous to the point of engineering near fights. Then one day, obviously deciding to raise the stakes, this couple changed tacts by tipping deck staff (these don’t report to the HD but do report to the Staff Capt) setup the loungers by 6am daily. That would then appear to be an institutionalised event, not to be challenged. And who suffers? Of course the passengers and the victimized deck staff who might get dressed down. Can you imagine?

I'm not trying to stir the pot here but given tothesunsets and your comments I fail to see how the "Silversea way" prevailed.  Sounds like complete chaos. 

Glad we vacation at Caribbean resorts not cruises.  The service and food are back to pre covid levels of excellence btw. 

Edited by RetiredandTravel

27 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

I'm not trying to stir the pot here but given tothesunsets and your comments I fail to see how the "Silversea way" prevailed.  Sounds like complete chaos. 

Glad we vacation at Caribbean resorts not cruises.  The service and food are back to pre covid levels of excellence btw. 

I should add that the confrontation with the lounger hoggers occurred at a resort complex. It's much more straightforward on a ship where abandoned possessions can be handed in. 

4 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

The following happened in Mexico maybe 20 years ago:

A family of 4 who happened to be German (not that the nationality is particularly relevant) would, each morning, put their towels and sundries on 4 loungers then sod off until early afternoon. The pool area was large but there were fewer loungers than people sometimes. On one of those occasions we, as a family of 4, also decided that we'd like those reserved loungers. So we neatly removed the items, laid them on the ground and took the loungers to another area of the pool surround.

When Herr und Frau Entitledgruber turned up they got really cross. I mean shouting out loud angry. They went round the pool asking who had stolen "their" loungers. Luckily I cannot only speak German but have the full range of explicit words and phrases needed in the full and frank discussion that followed. He was a big man but I reckoned I could run faster (the first line of self-defence being a good 400 metres time). 

Anyway, we never saw them again although the hotel manager spoke to me and said I should have asked one of the staff to sort out the loungers - like that would have worked! 

This is now what we always do. If someone has clearly left their things to reserve space that we want we simply do as DW suggests above. It works. If only everyone stood up to the sort of self-entitled narcissists that feel they have a right to deprive others of facilities then I think we'd all rub along much better. 

Edit to add that I'm a naturally placid character but on the rare occasion that some pompous oaf acts selfishly it lights my blue touchpaper. They only get away with it because nobody stands up to them. 

you’re doing it wrong.

Edited by les37b
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

32 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

I should add that the confrontation with the lounger hoggers occurred at a resort complex. It's much more straightforward on a ship where abandoned possessions can be handed in. 

Maybe its you??  I'm totally kidding.   Given the current rules I would have done the same as you in that situation.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tothesunset said:

Or put in the used towel bin along with the towels.

• Haha 1

On 1/17/2023 at 9:18 AM, Lois R said:

Hi Missy, need to know? The Salt Bar is my favorite spot😃.  Afzul is the bartender and he should be there for your sailing......tell him hi! 

I did not make any reservations on line this cruise.  I ate on my own twice in 10 nights and that was by choice.  The other nights? Had dinner with staff multiple times as well. Other nights I dined with other guests I had met. 

Hi Lois - thanks again for your post.  As mentioned earlier we were on the Dawn couple of weeks ago and LOVED sitting outside at La Terrazza.  I must admit we went to the Arts Cafe after reading your post & had chocolate covered strawberries and glass(es) of champagne.  Really nice ship.  Thanks again / Bob

1 hour ago, mitz18 said:

Hi Lois - thanks again for your post.  As mentioned earlier we were on the Dawn couple of weeks ago and LOVED sitting outside at La Terrazza.  I must admit we went to the Arts Cafe after reading your post & had chocolate covered strawberries and glass(es) of champagne.  Really nice ship.  Thanks again / Bob

Hi Bob, glad you had a good cruise🙂

On 1/29/2023 at 9:11 AM, MrsWaldo said:

Your answer is really great, love it.