The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday January 7th, 2023

rafinmd

2 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Good Morning! It’s another beautiful morning and another day at sea. Enjoying a Latte and the ships health smoothie of the day.

We just lazed around yesterday enjoying a glorious sea day. Attended a couple of lectures, enjoyed a concert by pool. Last evening we had a wonderful meal in Aqualina one of the ship’s specialty venues. We followed dinner by watching our guest pianist who used to open for Liberace in Las Vegas. He was fantastic.

They have a huge brunch spread this morning but we are having a lighter breakfast at Sunset Cafe.

Today we will attend another guest lecture, get some sun and dine at Prime C the ships other speciality restaurant. No added cost for us in a suite. Tonight our Cruise Director will perform in Cabaret Lounge. All the CD’s have impressive theatrical backgrounds and are so talented.

So it’s another day so relaxing I have to check my pulse now and then.

Thanks Roy and special thoughts and prayers for Jacqui that she is being well taken care of.

Bruce

image.jpeg.7b4660c3d47ff2f351031ede7922c600.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.cd5f66d3835679fff637cc53e177d7a4.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.65cbacedec7aeb04a0a86bfedcca8966.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.d9eed034fcfe2c4e29152db1a5e1ec76.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.9f6cfb2c6606f8811e4a911d0c834ee2.jpeg

Sounds like a great cruise and y’all are having a great time. I like cruise lines that include speciality dining as part of your cabin package. Oceania and Regent include  it for any class cabin; which before someone says something, you have paid for it in the original cruise price. Does Azamara have lobster nite? Interesting about your Cruise Director performing in the showroom. Years ago, and specifically in November 1987, we were on the old Noordam and the CD also performed in the showroom, singing several songs. He was very talented.

• Like 17

Good morning  everyone. We may see the sun today.I grew up in a small house built in a hurry after WW2.The houses on the street were identical. We all seemed to have very large rocks in the basement that were left there.It became problematic  with heavy rains as our house was at the bottom of a hill. My grandfather was a carpenter  and always remarked that building around here always involved rock removal.I remember my parents selling that house eventually, rock and all and rejoicing. 

We were in the port at the end of the best cruise ever,  an 18 day Hawaii trip.DH and I did a little walk around and returned to the ship.DD was more adventurous and went with DSIL to the blowhole.

I am adding my prayers for Jacqui @kazu and Kathi @Scrapnana.Both situations  are so difficult.

• Like 24

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  It's 35F and clear.  We're expecting 61F and sunny skies the remainder of the day.  I awoke this morning to a text from our 23 year old DGD Ashley who just had her birthday Wednesday.  A simple photo of her beautifully manicured left hand and a lovely diamond engagement ring on her ring finger! 💍 Is seems she and boyfriend Chris are now engaged.  I've been expecting this news for a while now.  I'll be giving them our congratulations later today.  Another date to put on my calendar.

Thanks Roy @rafinmdfor posting the Daily for Rich while he enjoys a world cruise.  And thanks to Rich @richwmnfor all your work preparing it ahead of time.  Rocks are important to planet Earth because that's what we're made of.  A salute to programmers, and I can take or leave bobbleheads.  The quote is good, yes to the menu suggestion, no to the drink and maybe to the wine.  Prayers for everyone on the Care list, but especially to Jacqui @kazu.  I'm also praying for Kathi @Scrapnana since she is also having medical issues.  I hope they both come out of this experience wholly healed.  I wish there was something more we could do to help them but hopefully our prayers will work out for them both.  Cheers to everyone on the Celebration list.  We hope your cruises and happy events are all you wished for.

Ensenada, Mexico is today's port and was also the port of the day on October 14, 2022.  It's a port often visited to satisfy PVSA regulations on Hawaii cruises from and to the States.  I was there twice, 2007 on Diamond Princess and 2009 on Golden Princess.   Many people don't even go ashore in Ensenada.  I did the first time and can't remember our second time there.

A few photos from my 2007 Diamond Princess stop in Ensenada.  The huge flag we've all seen when our ship docks there.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKy_JMy1eErEQSYTyXIKMWv?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1363799460

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKGiAlPXm7_N9vTZn7ZCN_0?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1363799468

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJTN1XsAwNIbsKG1SAUtS4N?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1363799469

Acting silly as we strolled the streets00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJvS42nIrUdzFWm2eAfwRUZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1363800069

And a seal playing on the shore near the ship00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ5l0rNFD0Xdr6jxFVu8ChZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1363800037

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIM0LWj9LLUznXL1rVZJ15E?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1363799450

Honestly, I've seen a lot worse ports than Ensenada.  Corinto, Nicaragua for instance?

Have a great day and please be safe!

Lovely photos Sandi.

Congratulations to Ashley on her engagement.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

We've been to Ensenada at least six times, with our most recent two stops last March on Koningsdam.  Our first time there in 2012 on Golden Princess, we did not get off the ship, because or tablemates told us it was not worth seeing.  Beginning with our Veendam stop in 2014, we have gone into town all but one or two stops.  Last March I went in the day we were there all day, but the next time we stayed on the ship.

In 2014, because Veendam could not stop in Lahaina due to rough seas, Captain Peter Bos, headed to Ensenada with arrival timed for an afternoon and evening there.  Since we had more daytime in port, we took a tour of the town and to La Bufadora, the blow hole.  Our first stop was an old hotel or maybe it was an old night club that has been restored and has become the civic center.

DSC00843.thumb.JPG.57973a5c1818e1e318a18e74997ea15f.JPG

Centro  Social, Civico, y Cultural, Riviera de Ensenada

DSC00844.thumb.JPG.0bc45c771427286f7755562156967f00.JPG

DSC00849.thumb.JPG.503f1f85a0783942dee32add38f86033.JPG

DSC00853.thumb.JPG.97aaf1fcbb69bcfd6b5131c3c8012b32.JPG

DSC00854.thumb.JPG.147aba9fbddd30ad0bbc90bddac4b3e6.JPG

DSC00867.thumb.JPG.0f975d24b5ff6b2b79b58adf3c79091a.JPG

La Bufadora

DSC00875.thumb.JPG.77b89e1b5eb3bc326c0ed501017d302a.JPG

DSC00882.thumb.JPG.a212c111fb5f2feeb1fff38c67fdc51d.JPG

The shopping gauntlet getting to and from the blow hole

DSC00891.thumb.JPG.bf3c8e321f8a85c35892f9be08d0fe4e.JPG

The shopping street in Ensenada on a couple of visits

DSC03140.thumb.JPG.b3cb71bd306bac61545684945cbdbf71.JPG

DSC09723.thumb.JPG.5cadcd3607a349fd8040bf4149e8d6a6.JPG

DSC09725.thumb.JPG.ff57351db873433d247b8380995f5e71.JPG

This year, instead of the shuttle dropping us off near the middle of the shopping street, the shuttle stopped at an old building that is being restored near the far end of the main street.  The area looked a little dodgy when we left the building so I attached myself to a group of people until we got to the main street.

The plaza in the building at the shuttle drop off

DSC09727.thumb.JPG.fd12ca34cba54dc9f9b5c532f7119be4.JPG

In March 2012, the sealions were gathered on the rocks near the ship and boy were they "talking".

P1040045.thumb.JPG.fa4032a5d9bcaf210e2d807d42db8636.JPG

Another time, they were swimming near the ship, so they were quieter.

DSC03134.thumb.JPG.1ee535c87ab1b5d1610d07204c9b709b.JPG

This year, we were at a different dock in the same complex where we have always docked.  The building was closed except for going through security. The grounds around the building were nice.

DSC09732.thumb.JPG.1a60691b964ef36af27f6650f94d4211.JPG

DSC09733.thumb.JPG.c49e9ab940ca01014982ffcc879e2737.JPG

Lenda

Nice photos Lenda.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

DH's sister arrived safely late last night from Savannah.  Our son picked her up at SeaTac (her flight was even early!) and took her to DD's house where she spent the night.  Later this morning DD will bring her here to surprise DH before the party.  He still has no idea the secret we've all been keeping. 😄

The meal sounds very good, I like this wine, but will pass on the drink.  We've been to Ensenada on 1 cruise and also when we lived in San Diego.  

We have an OLD rock across the street from us.  It's a Glacial Erratic, 34 feet tall and 78 feet long.  It's interesting but causes headaches for we homeowners around it because people from all over come to see it.  The looky-loos are fine, it's the wannabe rock climbers and teenage partiers that we worry about.  At least one person has fallen from the top, and even though there are signs posted to stay off the rock, of course the signs are ignored.  😞 They have nicknamed it the Lake Stevens Monster with MY address -- kind of a joke here, but annoying too. 😉  There are homes that are a little closer, so I'm not sure why they chose my address. 😄

rock2.jpg.a853c7875b09594c3e0c1f2b64f508d6.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

DH's sister arrived safely late last night from Savannah.  Our son picked her up at SeaTac (her flight was even early!) and took her to DD's house where she spent the night.  Later this morning DD will bring her here to surprise DH before the party.  He still has no idea the secret we've all been keeping. 😄

The meal sounds very good, I like this wine, but will pass on the drink.  We've been to Ensenada on 1 cruise and also when we lived in San Diego.  

We have an OLD rock across the street from us.  It's a Glacial Erratic, 34 feet tall and 78 feet long.  It's interesting but causes headaches for we homeowners around it because people from all over come to see it.  The looky-loos are fine, it's the wannabe rock climbers and teenage partiers that we worry about.  At least one person has fallen from the top, and even though there are signs posted to stay off the rock, of course the signs are ignored.  😞 They have nicknamed it the Lake Stevens Monster with MY address -- kind of a joke here, but annoying too. 😉  There are homes that are a little closer, so I'm not sure why they chose my address. 😄

rock2.jpg.a853c7875b09594c3e0c1f2b64f508d6.jpg

Carolyn, I'm glad DH's sister arrived safely.  I know he will enjoy the big surprise.

Lenda

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I'm listening to "Medea" as I'm composing at the keyboard.  So, I am on the same page as Herr Nietzsche.

Just the name, Roasted Balsamic Chicken With Cranberries, won me over.  I have sent all three of @dfish's links over to Mrs. XBGuy for her consideration.  Thank you.

We have made a few port stops at Ensenada.  I don't know if anybody else has noticed this, but as I have walked around town, it seems to me that drivers show extraordinary courtesy to pedestrians.

• Like 16

4 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from mostly sunny central Texas  where it is currently 56F.  The forecast is calling for highs between 63F and 78F for the next ten days.  I have no complaints with that.  Right now there is  north wind.  I just looked at my across the street neighbor's tree and most of the leaves have fallen, and most of the fallen leaves have already blown into our yard.  Hopefully, I won't have to get the leaves out of the port many more times this winter.

Old Rock Day is one to celebrate since without the third rock from the sun, we wouldn't be here.  I also took a geology class my freshman year at UT, and particularly enjoyed the first semester which was studying the different types of rocks.  DH was a programmer writing a software program that was licensed by refineries, chemical plants and papermills, and which gave us a good, comfortable life and retirement.  We don't have any bobblehead dolls.

I like the Friedrich Nietzsche quote.  We need music in our lives.

We'll pass on the meal and drink.  Today's wine Chateau Ste. Michelle Riesling is my go to white wine.  It has just a hint of sweetness and is not too dry.  Their dry Riesling is too dry for me, and the late harvest Riesling is too sweet.  I have almost two cases stashed in the closet.  Around Christmas, I could get 25% off if I bought six or more bottles of wine.

We have been to Ensenada several times, and I'll repost my pictures in a few minutes.

@aliaschief  Bruce, do you mind sharing the name of the guest pianist?  We were on a cruise once years ago with a pianist who worked with Liberace in Las Vegas.  I'm very glad you are enjoying the cruise.

@summer slope  Dixie, I hope the crown doesn't give you too much trouble until you can get it reglued.

@richwmn  Rich, thanks for the picture of the beautiful sunrise or sunset at sea.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, thanks again for the link to the Ensenada pictures.  Congratulations on your DGD's engagement.

@ottahand7  Nancy, I'm sorry you have a bad cold, and I hope it clears up soon.

Lenda

Craig Dahn was our guest pianist.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, aliaschief said:

Craig Dahn was our guest pianist.

Bruce, thanks for the answer.  Craig Dahn used to be a regular entertainer on HAL when we first started cruising on BHBs.  He is every good, and we always enjoyed his shows.  We have a couple of his CDs too.  Does he still wear the flashy costumes and the shoes with Swarovski on them?

Lenda

• Like 11

28 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Bruce, thanks for the answer.  Craig Dahn used to be a regular entertainer on HAL when we first started cruising on BHBs.  He is every good, and we always enjoyed his shows.  We have a couple of his CDs too.  Does he still wear the flashy costumes and the shoes with Swarovski on them?

Lenda

Yes, sparkling jacket and shoes and a diamond ring that Liberace gave him.

I Sue hope Hal gets the Star Link Wi Fi they just had installed on Onward. Fastest I have ever experienced on a ship. Crew members so excited. “It’s so fast!” I have been even watching my news apps video streams. Best part was $71.00 for entire cruise!

• Like 17

Good morning - well almost afternoon here, 

Finally - a quiet day at home! It's been a revolving door, in a good way, the last few days. DH is home and doing well. We have a home health company working with us and Monday nursing was here to do their intake and we had friends stop in. Tuesday PT was here to do their intake and friends came for tea, Wednesday OT did their intake, friend came for tea, and nursing came again all in the space of 2 hours! Thursday friend was here for tea, Speech came to do their eval and the local appliance store delivered and installed our new dishwasher all before noon! Yesterday the last of Christmas got put away. Today DH is still asleep - he has those days every so often and I check to see that he's breathing and let him be. 

Sending thoughts and caring out to @kazu and @Scrapnana as they navigate their medical issues. 

Karen

• Like 20

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @rafinmd and @richwmn.

Old Rock Day - planet earth!  I'll salute Programmers. I have bobbleheads from the Pittsburgh Penguins, from when I was a season ticket holder for many years. I like the quote. I like the meal; pass on the drink and wine.

I was in Ensenada on the way back from a LA-Hawaii cruise on Golden Princess in 2012. I didn't venture too far from the ship.

It's cloudy and cool today. I don't have any plans, other than carting Christmas decorations down to the basement.

@kazu @Scrapnana Thinking of you both and sending prayers.

@Seasick Sailor Sorry to hear you had a bad night's sleep. And inconsiderate of people to leave scooters in the hall!

@rafinmd Thanks for adding me to the care list; although getting around is painful, there are others with much more pressing issues.

@StLouisCruisers Congrats to Ashley on her engagement! 

@ottahand7 I hope you're better from your cold soon. Thanks for the cruise photos.

@GTVCRUISER Bon Voyage!

@Cruising-along It sounds like the party will be fun; great surprise for DH!

@luvteaching Wow, things have been busy at your house. 

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to the Celebration List.

Stay well everyone.

A few pictures from my brief stop in Ensenada.

Seals sunning 

846577635_319-SealsSunninginEnsenada.thumb.jpg.8d7efe02f6307be35fe83acb392f8404.jpg

Approaching the port

995094107_320-PortinEnsenada.thumb.jpg.7e9e31a507844a82119bbda16a5def9b.jpg

744894363_328-WelcometoEnsenadaMexico.thumb.jpg.62f83d1320d10a4f5538f6e223aabc34.jpg

Sunset

1426019399_333SunsetandPelicaninEnsenada.thumb.jpg.8210966dc6102dc2cddaa3067c5e6c37.jpg

1347074888_329-SettingSunEnsenada.thumb.jpg.4bf8aae92cde2890a7731c1d56524916.jpg

Golden Princess

206541430_332-GoldenPrincessdockedinEnsenada.thumb.jpg.ad7d292f24f76e1a53590d9fecdef16d.jpg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Happy Saturday everyone. 

It is blue skies and sunshine here and 70. 

Change is coming to Music Walk entertainment. Lincoln Center and BB King has been our go to venues. See the other post for more information. 

Longer cruises for Holland America itineraries is a plus for us. Hopefully they will  not be priced out of our reach. 

A little pool time before Florida Orchestra concert tonight's Gershwin's An American in Paris.

20230107_143943.jpg

20230107_144010.jpg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

Yes, sparkling jacket and shoes and a diamond ring that Liberace gave him.

I Sue hope Hal gets the Star Link Wi Fi they just had installed on Onward. Fastest I have ever experienced on a ship. Crew members so excited. “It’s so fast!” I have been even watching my news apps video streams. Best part was $71.00 for entire cruise!

Bruce, I think just about everyone has the same wish.  We were lucky last spring on the Koningsdam since it was never half full, so the internet worked okay.  It was never super fast, but met our needs.

54 minutes ago, luvteaching said:

Good morning - well almost afternoon here, 

Finally - a quiet day at home! It's been a revolving door, in a good way, the last few days. DH is home and doing well. We have a home health company working with us and Monday nursing was here to do their intake and we had friends stop in. Tuesday PT was here to do their intake and friends came for tea, Wednesday OT did their intake, friend came for tea, and nursing came again all in the space of 2 hours! Thursday friend was here for tea, Speech came to do their eval and the local appliance store delivered and installed our new dishwasher all before noon! Yesterday the last of Christmas got put away. Today DH is still asleep - he has those days every so often and I check to see that he's breathing and let him be. 

Sending thoughts and caring out to @kazu and @Scrapnana as they navigate their medical issues. 

Karen

Karen, I know what you mean about the revolving door.  We had someone coming just about everyday for the first few weeks DH was home.  We were lucky that I neighbors didn't descend on us, but gave us time to settle in.

39 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Well very old and very new rocks!  One of the most amazing experiences of my life yesterday 

3E4B0691-42E1-417F-9BD6-2785864CDFCB.jpeg

CA29F247-7B37-41B1-ADEA-9092EB435338.jpeg

397E71E7-01C6-468B-A12F-E8D53D50B883.jpeg

Brenda, the pictures are amazing.  It was quite an experience when we saw Kilauea erupt a few years ago.

Lenda

• Like 20

I have been at sea several times in early January but never caught a sunrise (or set) on January 7  We had a week of early spring but it's back to January.  I can't complain as there was snow on the ground a year ago.  This was taken just before starting my morning walk:

dawn0177.JPG.2550e26ee74a613204c1e3556c0024a8.JPG

Roy

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, summer slope said:

For those of you dailyites who have cruised from San Diego to Hawaii, is the trip really rocky. May need to get my nervous pills refilled before next year. 

We sailed from San Francisco to Hawaii and back to San Francisco via Ensenada.

There was 4 sea days there 4 sea days back in November/December 2019 on Grand Princess and it was slightly rough at times but nothing that concerned us.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 6