The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday January 8th, 2023

rafinmd

Today is Bubble Bath Day, Male Watcher's Day, and Argyle Day

If I had a flower for every time I thought of you...I could walk through my garden forever.--Alfred Tennyson

Meal Suggestion for today - Slow Cooker Beef Chili
Drink of the Day - Lazy Day Colada
Wine of the Day - Akitu Pinot Noir Central Otago A2 2020
Destination of the Day - Ilfracombe, England

Eurodam

Willemstad Curacao, Netherlands Antilles 08:00 - 23:00

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Mexico eta 1-09

Nieuw Amsterdam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 07:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Grand Turk Island, Cockburn Town, Turks and Caic eta 1-09

Oosterdam

Puerto Chacabuco, Chile 08:00 - 15:00

Rotterdam

San Juan, Puerto Rico 10:00 - 20:00

Volendam

Panama Canal 05:00 - 05:00

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Oranjestad Aruba, Netherlands Antilles eta 1-09

Zuiderdam

Panama Canal 05:00 - 05:00

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Napier, New Zealand 07:00 - 14:00

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Darwin, NT Australia eta 1-12
Capture1.JPG.acc2c065e0958b6c4df036a8cb2bff67.JPG..

Capture2.JPG.d0bee05e1597188d78ca1b8eea1dc69b.JPG

Roy for Rich (who even caught the latest Rotterdam change)

• Like 31
  • Thanks 6

16 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy for Rich (who even caught the latest Rotterdam change)

If the stars align right, I can update things. This morning the stars are not aligned.

Waiting to enter the Panama Canal (sometimes affectionately know as 'The Big Ditch')

20230108_055045.thumb.jpg.87b42578f6fe3ce2a4fee452443b36e2.jpg

20230108_055038.thumb.jpg.b6808f4d40f63e163b336b2d31fa0505.jpg

20230108_055034.thumb.jpg.ba3cad93015eeb7925b22122862b1719.jpg

• Like 34
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report.  Interesting collection of days today.  I like the quote.  The meal suggestion sounds delicious, maybe….  I haven’t been to today’s port, I’ll bet there will be some nice photos.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list and for @kazu with her arm situation.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today.

• Like 19

Good Sunday Morning.  I really like the quote.  Thank you for responding to my question about the trip from San Diego to Hawaii yesterday.  I just love this group.  No judgement.

Prayers for Jacqui, Kathi, and all on the care list.  Safe travels for the celebration list.

Lazy Day Colada cocktail:

Ingredients
1 part DeKuyper® Pucker® Sour Apple Schnapps
1 part Cruzan® Aged Light Rum
2 1/4 parts Pina Colada Mix

Instructions
Build over ice, blend and serve.

Screenshot 2023-01-08 at 6.54.07 AM.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 8

Good morning and thank you for the Fleet and Daily Report.

It's cold here, snow on the lawns but not on the roads, that's the way winter should be.

I haven't had a bubble bath in ages.  The only male I watch is my DH.  I think I have a pair of argyle socks, guess I should wear them today.

LOVE the quote.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

I'll pass on the drink.  I hope the wine is good.

We're scheduled to be in today's port on our next cruise, looking forward to seeing pictures.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a great day.

Stay safe.

• Like 23

Good afternoon from a cold 44°F North East coast of England.

We had a nice church service this morning and a Ukrainian girl came to our service for the first time.

We made her welcome and Pauline and I gave her a lift home.

Thank you for today's daily reports Roy.

Great quote today.

Lovely food today.

Take care.

Graham.

IMG_20230108_114956.jpg

Screenshot_20230108_115554.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s Report and Daily, Rich via Roy! It is just starting to get light now. Bindi and I did a mini walk to the light of the moon this morning. It is a bit warmer this morning at 46. 

Roy thank you for keeping it all together. Especially with Jacqui’s injury limiting her ability to type. Off to the gym, Aldi, Bindi walks and then a get together with friends and family, now that everyone is over their bout of flu or colds. 

D2BBADF9-D62B-4621-962A-390B522F8350.jpeg.dfecfaba1f795b8d7ec21fe0f8cabb57.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Get well & stay well everyone!

Akitu Pinot Noir Central Otago A2 2020

This New Zealand wine is a bit elusive, but this vintage is ultra elusive. I used the 2019 vintage info for this post. And even that requires shipping from overseas.

I did see that this vintner is a member of Naked wines, so perhaps they are marketing the 2020 vintage through them. The Naked Wines’ “Angels” support small vineyards by taking the marketing off their hands, so they can focus on making some great wines. My “traveling Sister” is a member, and we have enjoyed some special wines through this program.

If you opt for the 2019 vintage, I found it for $28.98 + shipping from some European and New Zealand distributors. Wine Enthusiast rated the 2019 vintage - 92.

Winemaker’s notes

Dark garnet with a crimson edge within a deep plummy hue. The first aroma from this wine gives a hint to the depth and complexity that lies beneath, hidden for now in the glass. Layers of graphite, brown spice and wild herbs sit across dark plummy fruit. Ripe dark cherries, dark rose petal and a hint of sous boisare all coiled very tightly in a compact bundle of aromatic intensity.  This one will take some time to show its true depth and complexity.

The palate opens with intense fruit concentration over a core of powerful soft tannin. There are layers of textural phenolics pushing up against fruit plushness which impress and excite. 

This wine, our 8th vintage of the black label, without doubt shows in its shape and structure that it is unequivocally of the Hawkesbury vineyard.

A fine line of acidity suggests a long and exciting evolution.  It will start to hit its straps at five years old and continue for at least another five, perhaps much more.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 3

Good morning. Another pretty day and Charlotte Amalie, St Thomas coming into view.

We dined in Prime C last night and enjoyed Chateaubriand for two. We then went to the Cabaret Lounge and enjoyed our CD Matt put on a great show. Along with the ships band which includes great sax and trumpet players.

As I write all of us having breakfast outdoors aft are being treated to a vibrant rainbow.

Today we may get off and walk around but may just enjoy the less used pool.

Tonight we return to MDR.

So when I entered Windows Cafe this morning I was looking around the muffins and asked the gal working that station “got any donuts?” No donuts so I went to table to join Sue and was soon approached by a supervisor apologizing for not having donuts! Tomorrow there will be donuts! Spoiled rotten!😁

Thanks for the reports and postings.

image.thumb.jpeg.f22ae42b2bd298f3c0b7a77f50651689.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.dcac9da81976b451179b3d49a665b5d4.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.1de0287a1f2e22847075206ceeac525c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.27a9faace2d7d1322967d480e4ec5c23.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.73f583ef6b1f0eb1793cb49acb15c5b6.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.7020d41683601af7b809986ea8246171.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a4420741d0dc233a7cfa985af1d0a37d.jpeg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 4

We are past the first locks in the canal. We are inside because port side is frying us. I am still battling my cold and so glad I packed my nebulizer so I don't get bronchitis. Second time I had to go to my "what if" suitcase under the bed in 5 days. Day 2 I ripped my shin on the plywood corner of the bed so I had to fetch my wound care kit. Mishaps are over! 

I can't handle any heat though we did go on our Monster bus in Puerto Limon yesterday and it was well air conditioned and fun. Saw the poison dart frogs and a sloth in the wild. No monkeys but many pretty birds when I did my own excursion at our rest stop. 

Griping  part 2.  I did my feedback about lack of pm happy hours and I got a call yesterday afternoon from Fernando Chief Wine Steward and afternoon happy hours are returning .  No it is still 50% off a couple of draft beers in Mix pre-dinner.  Probably getting stale.  It is 50% everything off in the 9-11 hours.  Boo. 

I thought maybe it was to keep people from mingling prior to Covid testing but I guess not.  Everyone on the Zuiderdam has to keep wearing theirs.   

We will have a relaxing day with canal transit and I hope that I am better tomorrow.  Prayers for all on our Care list and the people of Ukraine.  Have a nice Sunday. Nancy 

IMG_20230108_064616749.jpg

IMG_20230107_152324165_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230107_153050360.jpg

IMG_20230107_145630843_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230107_144542796_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230107_134441786.jpg

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

Good morning friends!  Just a little late today (Sunday).  DH decided we should have waffles for breakfast and we hadn't made them for quite some time so we were slow!  Used to make them regularly when the kids were home.  It was about 43 this morning and it will get up to 60 at its peak.  Clouds and sun mixed and a chance of a shower this evening.

Thanks Roy and Rich for the Daily.  The slow cooker chili sounds good today.  I haven't had a bubble bath in years, don't have a pair of argyles, and only watch my DH, especially if I know what's good for me!  The drink and wine sound nice but I would probably pass.  The quote is sweet!  Thanks Graham @grapau27for Father David's sermon.🙏.  Prayers for all of us in need, especially our friend Jacqui @kazu.  Let's hope we get some news from her soon, and she is recovering nicely from her arm injury/surgery.  Cheers to everyone cruising and on the Celebration list.  Thanks to everyone who is reporting on their days at sea!

Our port of Ilfracombe, England sounds lovely but I don't believe we've been there before.  It was last posted here on February 27, 2022 and November 9, 2022 so I will copy and paste those posts here for anyone who needs to retrieve their photos.  

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Good morning Daily-ites. Blessed Sunday. Thank you Graham for Father David's sermon. His hair looks pretty cute!

We had dinner in Canneletto last night. The shrimp special. Meh.

Tonight is Tamarind. Looking forward to crispy duck.

As ya know, our port was changed to San Juan with a 10 am arrival time. I love San Juan. Need to get a Walgreens stop in too. I have a scratchy throat and want to nip a possible cold in the bud. So many people are really coughing and do not look well. 

The "dam" smokers are still out at 6 am while I'm waiting for the sun to come up. Luckily I don't have asthma but the smoke is gross.

Prayers lifted to all especially Kathi and Jacqui.

Have an awesome day! Be kind.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, everyone!

It is a bit of a frigid start today, but the weather forecast says it is supposed to be sunny.  Of course, they said that  yesterday and we never saw the sun.  Not much on the agenda other than picking up a prescription at the pharmacy and walking my laps around the neighborhood.  

This first recipe is a good, basic chili recipe.  There are tips on how to control the spice and what kind of toppings are good on chili.  https://natashaskitchen.com/slow-cooker-chili-recipe/

1201316657_slowcookerbeefchili1.thumb.jpg.13909646da314758c22c0d2729689ae9.jpg

Doesn't that look good?  I may be stopping by the grocery store when I go to the pharmacy.  This next recipe calls for a bit of cocoa powder for a depth of flavor.  Whatever the reason, I would try it!   https://www.cookingclassy.com/slow-cooker-chili/

356968989_slowcookerbeefchili2.thumb.jpg.2eb81fabf6cdde1c361db79a92cd1fd1.jpg

This one uses some Italian sausage along with the ground beef.  I bet that would be great!   https://www.momontimeout.com/crockpot-chili-recipe/

1621652599_slowcookerbeefchili3.thumb.jpeg.859439790a69ae7f65602c3571f21f40.jpeg

Cinnamon in your chili?   Why not?  You can always make Cincinnati chili in the slow cooker.  Or on top of the stove.  You pick.  https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/cincinnati_chili/  

1965189003_CincinnatiChili.thumb.jpg.ece36a6b922be9d2f3bcd3485ace2927.jpg

Cincinnati chili is a pasta topper, a hot dog topper, or a bowl of chili.  Again, you pick!

Wishing everyone a great day and prayers for @kazu Jacqui and @Scrapnana Kathi.  

• Like 21
  • Thanks 12

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning. Another pretty day and Charlotte Amalie, St Thomas coming into view.

We dined in Prime C last night and enjoyed Chateaubriand for two. We then went to the Cabaret Lounge and enjoyed our CD Matt put on a great show. Along with the ships band which includes great sax and trumpet players.

As I write all of us having breakfast outdoors aft are being treated to a vibrant rainbow.

Today we may get off and walk around but may just enjoy the less used pool.

Tonight we return to MDR.

So when I entered Windows Cafe this morning I was looking around the muffins and asked the gal working that station “got any donuts?” No donuts so I went to table to join Sue and was soon approached by a supervisor apologizing for not having donuts! Tomorrow there will be donuts! Spoiled rotten!😁

Thanks for the reports and postings.

image.thumb.jpeg.f22ae42b2bd298f3c0b7a77f50651689.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.dcac9da81976b451179b3d49a665b5d4.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.1de0287a1f2e22847075206ceeac525c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.27a9faace2d7d1322967d480e4ec5c23.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.73f583ef6b1f0eb1793cb49acb15c5b6.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.7020d41683601af7b809986ea8246171.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a4420741d0dc233a7cfa985af1d0a37d.jpeg

Great pictures. I can’t tell which I like the most, the rainbow or the beef! Enjoy your day in St Thomas. We will be there in a few weeks and always go to Secret Beach. Please don’t tell anyone; I want to keep it a secret 😳

• Like 15
  • Haha 2

Good morning all. Big day today. I am making a leg of lamb with all the fixings to celebrate two birthdays, dgd yesterday (19) and dgs tomorrow (22). Not sure where that time went. 

still grey and chilly but no snow. Could really do with some sunshine. Prayers for all that need them especially @kazu and @Scrapnana. Wishing everyone a good Sunday.

• Like 27

Good morning. I made beef chili in the slow cooker yesterday. 😉😋

I’m taking my MiL to her church this morning. I’ll be back to read all the happenings later. Thanks to all for caring and sharing. Prayers for everyone who needs them, especially @kazu and @Scrapnana.  🙏🙏  Cheers for all the celebrations. 🥂🎉

• Like 23

Happy Sunday Dailyites.  I'll pass on all of today's days and have not been to Ilfracombe.  I love the Tennyson quote but will pass on the chili.  My alternative is Papaya, Pineapple, & Orange, Turkey Roast, and Pineapple Crisp as served on MS Prinsendam January 8, 2019. 

dishes08.jpg

It's quite a chilly day and the county positivity rate is over 16% so it will definitely be online worship today with a short walk this afternoon.,

Today’s care list:

Kazu in hospital in Puerto Vallarta
HAL Sailer DBIL in final days and family squabbles
Ominous scan for Marshhawk
Scrapnana
From the rotation:
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)
Demar Hamlin much improved but still critical

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Nieuw Amsterdam (my favorite BHB) in Everglades

na0108.thumb.JPG.d18bde2f20690ad6c1bbb02520904ba0.JPG
StLouisCruisers DGD Ashley engaged
Bon Voyage (Koningsdam 1/7 to 1/31)
Cruisin Terri home ready for return except for bedding
Welcome home crystalspin, Copper10-8,Vict0riann, Av8rix, crystalspin, and GTVCRUISER(1/14), DeeniEncinetas, Victoriann , sailingdutchty   (Koningsdam  to 1/31), Damcruiser (Nieuw Statendam  to 1/14), Aliaschief (Onward  to 1/17) Seasick Sailor and ger_77 (Rotterdam  to 1/25), lindaler and ottahand7(Volendam  to 3/18), and Cat in My Lap, Gail&Marty,richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam  to 5/12) at sea

Roy

• Like 21
  • Thanks 7

Good morning  to all.It is cold here today and the chili recipes look fantastic.I have a favorite  soup on the stove,ribolletta.We will have that tonight with extra garlic bread.

Although my man watching is usually DH I will admit to watching our neighbor lift weights outside in his driveway.I am certain the rest of the neighborhood  does the same...

We have not been to the port.I once knitted argyle socks when my hands were not so bad and nearly lost my mind.

@Seasick Sailor,Joy, I hope you can do something  about the smokers.I feel for you!I hope the cold does not worsen.

@richwmn, Rich, I am very much enjoying your posts,thank you very much.

• Like 21
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, RedneckBob said:

Thanks for the Fleet update and general info.

Nothing to add today; taking an all day bubble bath. 🏊🏻

If you fill up on the slow cooker chili first, you can enjoy a natural, organic, chemical free, all day bubble bath.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 12

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  Today’s meal suggestion is a favorite of mine, thank you @dfish for the pictures and recipes. Tonight we will have roast beef.  I think today is a stay at home day since I ran my errands yesterday.  I might walk to the corner store for a lottery ticket.   I hope everyone has a good day today.  

• Like 17

Good Sunday Morning Dailyites!

I have never been a fan of Bubble Baths.  Why would you fill a tub, sit in it and let the water get cold, and sit in dirty water.  Then you have to add more hot water, but when you turn it on, its not hot, so you empty part of it out, and then sit there freezing until it fills back with the hot water.  It always sounds nice, but it's too much work.

s-l300.jpg

I have to admit that I am a male watcher, but only if they deserve being watched.  Most of the time, I'm watching to make sure there is a witness to "hey you all, watch this".

Argyle is a Pirate's favorite sock.

Todays goals are to walk in the woods,  go to the stores (Krogers and Farmers market) and take down the Christmas decorations.  That's what I have to do, what I want to do, is sleep. DH is making omelets this morning. I am sleeping later and later each day, not sure what's up with that, but I could go to bed earlier.  I wanted to last night, but one of the PBS stations was showing a short concert by The Milk Carton Kids, and I really enjoy their guitar playing.

4ec1d428a5b56d72608678c49b34927d.jpg

• Like 22