The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday January 8th, 2023

rafinmd

Good afternoon from sunny central Texas where it is 61F with a predicted high of 64F.  Tuesday and Wednesday are supposed to be in the low 80s, then back to the 60's for a few days.

DH likes a bubble bath, but I haven't had one in more than 35 years.  We'll pass on the other two days.

I like the Tennyson quote.

Slow cooker beef chili sounds good, as does the wine.  We'll pass on the drink.

We have not been to Ilfracombe.

@ottahand7  Nancy, I hope your cold is better and history soon.  Thank you for the beautiful photos from your tour.

@superoma  Eva, a belated HAPPY 19TH BIRTHDAY to your dgd and an early HAPPY 22ND BIRTHDAY to your dgs.

@marshhawk  Annie, you decribed my feelings about bubble baths and even baths perfectly.  I am a shower person.  I also agree about watching males, and it seems there are fewer and fewer worth watching.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, I hope you nip that cold in the bud.  Keep being the squeaky wheel about the scooter (a safety hazard) and the smoker (a no-no).

@kazu  Jacqui, I hope you are now on the mend and will be able to get home soon.

@Sharon in AZ  Sharon, I think I might have the same slow cooker chili recipe.  Mine is also from a small booket that came with my first slow cooker.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, that is great news about the TA.  It has some great ports, too.

Kathi, @Scrapnana, is also in our thoughts for a full recovery, and a return home soon.

Thank you to all who are posting pictures of our two BHBs in the Panama.  It's great to see them together.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 18

20 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @rafinmd @richwmn.

I haven't had a bubble bath since childhood, even with my large cast iron claw foot tub in this house; I'm a shower person. No males around to watch, lol. I like argyle sweaters and socks. A sweet quote. I like the meal, drink and wine.

I haven't been to Ilfracombe.

It's sunny and upper 30's here today. Well, exciting news! BFF called yesterday to say we are replacing our cancelled Celebrity Caribbean cruise with a Celebrity TA from FLL to Amsterdam! I've never done a TA. There will be stops in Bermuda, Cork, Dorset and Southampton, Le Havre, Bruges and Amsterdam. Then we'll go to Germany to spend almost 3 weeks with his family there. So, I need to start improving my fitness and stamina by walking on the treadmill, as my aches and pains permit (hoping injections next month will help).

@grapau27 Thank you for Fr. David's sermon today.

@aliaschief The meal looks great and love the rainbow pictures.

@ottahand7 I hope you feel better soon. And no more mishaps! Enjoy the canal transit.

@Seasick Sailor I hope your scratchy throat doesn't turn into anything. I've been having a stuffy nose and did a Covid test today; negative, yay. Probably due to the heat being on, so humidifier is on. And try to avoid the smokers and coughers.

@superoma Enjoy celebrating with the DGC.

@dobiemom There are liquid salt brines that are sometimes sprayed on the roads before snow is due to fall.

Prayers for @kazu @Scrapnana and all on the Care List. Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay well everyone.

Yeah on your ta and time in Germany. May I ask whereabouts in Germany? I was born near Frankfurt and my dh is from the Würzburg area.

• Like 8

33 minutes ago, dobiemom said:

Forgive me (I don’t live with snow/ice) I’ve heard of roads being salted, bur sprayed with what?

Here in Dallas they use a salt brine spray on the overpasses when there’s a threat of ice.  Pretty much the same thing you’d use to brine a turkey or chicken 🐓🤣

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

@dobiemom There are liquid salt brines that are sometimes sprayed on the roads before snow is due to fall.

4 minutes ago, superoma said:

It is a brine solution, usually put down before snow or ice starts

2 minutes ago, Kurtybee123 said:

Here in Dallas they use a salt brine spray on the overpasses when there’s a threat of ice.  Pretty much the same thing you’d use to brine a turkey or chicken 🐓🤣

Thank you all. You learn something new every day! 😉🙂

• Like 14

1 minute ago, superoma said:

Yeah on your ta and time in Germany. May I ask whereabouts in Germany? I was born near Frankfurt and my dh is from the Würzburg area.

My BFF's family is in the Heilbronn-Frankenbach area. They have toured me mainly around Baden-Württemberg and Bavaria on my visits.

• Like 12

I like watching males...they are nice to watch, sometimes good, sometimes not so good. JMO and I'll leave it at that! 😜

My favortie cruise was a full PC transit from San Pedro to Tampa, in the original locks. The pictures here are great of the 2 (sister?)ships lined up together.

My next cruise, coming up in February, will be a full PC transit from Miami to San Pedro, in the new locks. It will be interesting to see them and see the difference. The word is that thery aren't as interesting as the old ones. I'll see, still on a great cruise.

Nice Winter day here in Minneapolis, sunny but cold, 19F. Typical January weather though we got 4 feet of snow last week and it is still around.

Prayers for all in need.

Be safe all.

• Like 20

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Oh my goodness, the Zuiderdam is entering the adjacent lock at Cerro-Luisa.  What fun everyone will have taking photos.  That is, if the Volendam doesn't leave too quickly.  Wish I could figure out how to post a screenshot.

If you use your phone Sandi when you click on files you should be able to access your various images like my photo then click on screenshot and click on the photo you want to post.

Graham.

Screenshot_20230108_201156.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dobiemom said:
3 hours ago, 4966and556 said:

Forgive me (I don’t live with snow/ice) I’ve heard of roads being salted, bur sprayed with what?

The Maryland Department of the Environment (MDE) is taking steps to reduce salt in rivers, streams and groundwater to protect aquatic life and drinking water sources while roads are made safe for winter travel.

MDOT SHA has moved to using proactive strategies to reduce road salt use. The agency uses salt brine – a liquid solution that is 22 percent salt and 78 percent water – before, during and after winter weather events. Pre-treating roads with brine prevents the initial bonding of snow or ice, giving road crews time to mobilize. 

Edited:  Many posted before me.  Sorry for duplicate info.

Edited by 0106
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 4

Good afternoon all!

Just a quick note to say DH's party was a success yesterday, and he was, indeed, very surprised to see his sister from Savannah at our door!

Today we're taking her to Seattle (she wants to see the Space Needle in person and also Pike Place) and then tonight the family is all meeting at the zoo to go to "Zoo Lights".  

I'll try to catch up on all the posts tonight -- it's been a busy morning!  Everyone have a great day.

• Like 21

Good Sunday afternoon to all the faithful Dailyites!  Many thanks to all who make this spot so very special.  Special thanks to @rafinmdfor his "double/triple" work.  Where would we all go for our daily knowledge, and friendship!

I am enjoying the discussion of "salt brine."  Here in Colorado the roads are treated with a solution of Magnesium/Chloride after the storm.  It is also referred to as "Ice Melt."  And just as an FYI, it makes a real mess of cars.  That's the reason that car washes are in business anytime the temps are above freezing.

It is just grey and overcast here today..  As long as the planes are leaving Grand Junction tomorrow I will be happy.  I fly to Phoenix tomorrow and then fly to Oahu on Tuesday.  Will be gone till 01/31.  It is challenging to pack when I am in winter mode here and will be spending almost three weeks in a warm climate region.  And, I want to take as little as possible, as handling heavy luggage isn't my style anymore.  

My prayers for all on the care list.  I will check in as I can while I am gone!  Keep celebrating all the good times.

Mary Kay

• Like 19

Good Morning and thanks for the reports

@Cruising-along sounds like a fun day, love watching the fish being tossed around at Pikes Place.  Do find that chewing gum wall around the corner kind of gross.  Hopefully its been removed since covid.

Overcast and drizzling day in Vancouver.  Been painting the hall, think I missed it with the colour.  Oh well at $90 a gallon it is what it is, trim next.

Was looking at the gift selection to get flowers for the DW on our upcoming Alaska.  Its our 30th.  Saw they had a decent deal with renewal of vows.  Asked my TA to look into it, but she went ahead and booked it.  Oh well, guess we are doing it.  DW was horrified at first, but has since decided it would be nice.  We had to have a very quick Justice of the Peace wedding all those years ago.  We got engaged, then within a few weeks my dear FIL was diagnosed with terminal cancer.  I never regretted the quick wedding, it was more important for him to be there, and I cherish the quiet little dinner afterwards with 7 of us.

Have a wonderful day everyone.  Back to painting for a while then its PVR football games after that

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, cruzn single said:

Good Sunday afternoon to all the faithful Dailyites!  Many thanks to all who make this spot so very special.  Special thanks to @rafinmdfor his "double/triple" work.  Where would we all go for our daily knowledge, and friendship!

I am enjoying the discussion of "salt brine."  Here in Colorado the roads are treated with a solution of Magnesium/Chloride after the storm.  It is also referred to as "Ice Melt."  And just as an FYI, it makes a real mess of cars.  That's the reason that car washes are in business anytime the temps are above freezing.

It is just grey and overcast here today..  As long as the planes are leaving Grand Junction tomorrow I will be happy.  I fly to Phoenix tomorrow and then fly to Oahu on Tuesday.  Will be gone till 01/31.  It is challenging to pack when I am in winter mode here and will be spending almost three weeks in a warm climate region.  And, I want to take as little as possible, as handling heavy luggage isn't my style anymore.  

My prayers for all on the care list.  I will check in as I can while I am gone!  Keep celebrating all the good times.

Mary Kay

Best wishes Mary Kay for a fantastic holiday in Hawaii.

Graham.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

My BFF's family is in the Heilbronn-Frankenbach area. They have toured me mainly around Baden-Württemberg and Bavaria on my visits.

Thanks. My husband knows the area. He actually grew up in Germany. I left as a two year old, and my vacation times have been spent mostly in Bavaria. 

• Like 7

It's a lovely sunny summer day, temperature 25 C.

@rafinmd  Roy, thanks for all the work you do to maintain the Fleet and Daily thread.  Also thanks for listing another Central Otago wine..

Thinking of@Scrapnana and  @kazu   am concerned for both of them.

@Seasick Sailor hope that you have spoken to a senior member of staff about the smokers and the obstruction in the hallway.

Edited by erewhon
  • Like 12

Thinking of @Scrapnana and @kazu and sending good thoughts their way. 

What was supposed to be a quiet Sunday at home on a rainy day turned into something not nearly as fun. Yesterday DH had an "off" day and we couldn't wake him up. This has happened before and our neurologist is working on it but I let him sleep and monitor him. Usually he wakes up the next day as if nothing had happened. Well, this morning he was still not "right', had problems getting words out and he smelled highly of acidic urine. I checked with the home health nurse and then called 911 to have our local guys come and check him. IT was agreed to take him to the ER so off he went and I followed a bit later. I was there at 9:30 and we left at 4:00 PM. Our (mine and the medic guys) instincts were right - it's a UTI. He was given IV antibiotics, I pick up a prescription tomorrow, and he came home in the car. Our local assistant fire chief came and helped get DH in the house. 

Now, to round off Sunday, the laundry is going in the dryer (all the bedding) and we're having salmon, mashed potatoes, green beans and some wine for dinner. 

Have a great evening!

Karen

• Like 5
  • Thanks 12

36 minutes ago, luvteaching said:

What was supposed to be a quiet Sunday at home on a rainy day turned into something not nearly as fun. Yesterday DH had an "off" day and we couldn't wake him up. This has happened before and our neurologist is working on it but I let him sleep and monitor him. Usually he wakes up the next day as if nothing had happened. Well, this morning he was still not "right', had problems getting words out and he smelled highly of acidic urine. I checked with the home health nurse and then called 911 to have our local guys come and check him. IT was agreed to take him to the ER so off he went and I followed a bit later. I was there at 9:30 and we left at 4:00 PM. Our (mine and the medic guys) instincts were right - it's a UTI. He was given IV antibiotics, I pick up a prescription tomorrow, and he came home in the car. Our local assistant fire chief came and helped get DH in the house. 

Now, to round off Sunday, the laundry is going in the dryer (all the bedding) and we're having salmon, mashed potatoes, green beans and some wine for dinner. 

Have a great evening!

Karen

Thoughts and prayers for a swift recovery.

• Like 10

Hello from somewhere on the Pacific on the way to Cabo.  Roy, thanks for the welcome home, but we have another week on the “big K”, tonight we are having dinner in the Pinnacle with Tony and Martha, SailingDutchy.  The word I had today from Jacqui’s friends, J&J, is that she was having her surgery this morning.  Hope all went well, I imagine she won’t be able to travel home for a few days.  She is a real stoic, I don’t know how she managed for those days with multiple fractures in her arm!

@luvteachinghope your hubby recovers quickly, and I’m keeping @Scrapnana in my prayers,  too.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 7

Maybe we should get @dfish involved in the brine conversation. We call the spray used on the roads “pickle juice” and I am always pleased to see the solution on the highway when the temperatures are moving below freezing.

Is there a good brine recipe for driveways and sidewalks that could also be used in the kitchen if we don’t need to use it outside?

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

Good evening.  Today turned out to be a more relaaxed day than expected.  We started the morning with a drive-thru breakdfast on the way to W-M. I try to avoid going there if at all possible, but we needed a couple of things we can only get there.  Once home, we watched part of the Bills v the Patriots game.  Then, I spent a couple of hours reading.  All in all, not a bad way to spend a Sunday.

6 hours ago, cruzn single said:

Mary Kay

Mary Kay, safe travels tomorrow to Phoenix, and on Tuesady to Hawaii.  Enjoy your time away from the Colorado winter.

6 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good afternoon all!

Just a quick note to say DH's party was a success yesterday, and he was, indeed, very surprised to see his sister from Savannah at our door!

Today we're taking her to Seattle (she wants to see the Space Needle in person and also Pike Place) and then tonight the family is all meeting at the zoo to go to "Zoo Lights".  

I'll try to catch up on all the posts tonight -- it's been a busy morning!  Everyone have a great day.

Carolyn, that is great news the birthday party was a success, and that everyone managed to keep the surprise a secret until yesterday.

2 hours ago, luvteaching said:

Have a great evening!

Karen

Karen, I'm sorry your DH has a UTI.  Wishing him a speedy recovery.

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Hello from somewhere on the Pacific on the way to Cabo.  Roy, thanks for the welcome home, but we have another week on the “big K”, tonight we are having dinner in the Pinnacle with Tony and Martha, SailingDutchy.  The word I had today from Jacqui’s friends, J&J, is that she was having her surgery this morning.  Hope all went well, I imagine she won’t be able to travel home for a few days.  She is a real stoic, I don’t know how she managed for those days with multiple fractures in her arm!

@luvteachinghope your hubby recovers quickly, and I’m keeping @Scrapnana in my prayers,  too.  

Ann, enjoy your last week on Koningsdam.  Also, thanks for the update on Jacqui @kazu.  I hope the surgery was successful, and that she will be heading home shortly.

Lenda

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2