The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday January 8th, 2023

rafinmd

47 minutes ago, superoma said:

Good morning all. Big day today. I am making a leg of lamb with all the fixings to celebrate two birthdays, dgd yesterday (19) and dgs tomorrow (22). Not sure where that time went. 

still grey and chilly but no snow. Could really do with some sunshine. Prayers for all that need them especially @kazu and @Scrapnana. Wishing everyone a good Sunday.

Happy 19th birthday  yesterday to your DGD and Happy 22nd birthday for your DGS tomorrow.

birthday-fireworks.gif.93f1e7c6e52e2869b60c44635b2a604d.gif

CF584717-26A5-44A4-97D1-8B0594A9F898.gif.4dead2d84240e63b1802ba524077b0af.gif

• Like 8

Yesterday I tried to find the extra batteries I had packed, so I had my DH take my 2 big suitcases out from under the bed.  Since that was a lot of effort, I decided to take my heavier clothes out to avoid having to do the suitcase thing again until we leave the ship.  Anyway, batteries were not in suitcases, but I had them already out, in with power bank for phone.  So, today I organized shelf into categories- and made decision never to ever bring so much!  We are in a room with a pull-down bed above couch and it has proved  to be useful as a shelf!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

The "dam" smokers are still out at 6 am while I'm waiting for the sun to come up. Luckily I don't have asthma but the smoke is gross.

Joy, have you reported this yet?  Not sure if you saw my post yesterday but I reported it once and it was taken care of and they didn’t smoke again after that. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the Daily Report and all the contributors.  It's minus 1C here today.  When dh and I went out to get groceries we noticed that the roads had been sprayed, so I guess they are expecting some bad weather. 

• Like 19

Good morning. Sunny and cold as usual. It was 13F when dogs and I went out, but it felt warmer unless you are a chihuahua.  We have a couple of small snows forecast for next week,  but whether they will hit the lower elevations is unknown at this point. The ski areas will be getting fresh powder starting Monday night if all goes to plan and that will be fine with me and with the dogs.

I am in the throes of a major clear out of my large walk in closet. That will keep me occupied for awhile since I have to move stuff to move stuff (I think there was a Cathy cartoon on this). I feel like I am going round in circles. Some of it has to go out the door.

Sending my best wishes to Jacqui and Kathi and anyone else needing them right now. With many of us aging, and all the colds, flu and covid going around.... it is really hard to stay healthy.

Susan

• Like 21

Good morning and Happy Sunday!  I have Debbie’s slow oven cooked wings started for our meal today. After I post this I need to drain them and add the BBQ sauce. I’m excited to try them. I always make my chili in the crockpot and actually use the crockpot cookbook recipe from the booklet that came with the crockpot. It was a wedding gift. 

Craig loves baths and I do once in a while. They are relaxing. I guess I should celebrate argyle because Craig is Scottish. 

DGD Summer went home last night. It’s really nice and quiet this morning. Craig went for a drive. He likes to drive down to Sonoita and Patagonia. I hate to drive. I think that’s the big reason why I love cruising. 

Prayers for Jacqui and Kathie. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 26

30 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Joy, have you reported this yet?  Not sure if you saw my post yesterday but I reported it once and it was taken care of and they didn’t smoke again after that. 

Hi Sharon,

Yes, I sent a text on Navigator about the smokers, and AGAIN about the DAM scooter next door in the hallway!! I can barely get around it with Allen's wheelchair. I knocked on both doors in between the scooter and no one answered. So inconsiderate and it's still there 3 hours later..

• Like 5
  • Thanks 9

2 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Oh my goodness, the Zuiderdam is entering the adjacent lock at Cerro-Luisa.  What fun everyone will have taking photos.  That is, if the Volendam doesn't leave too quickly.  Wish I could figure out how to post a screenshot.

Here you go

image.png.ac96bd75653860bc01276a787ebae4f6.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4

Just now, Crazy For Cats said:

This is one of my favorite itineraries. 

We have only been through the Canal one time!  I was supposed to be on the Volendam heading to Antarctica but DH has put his foot down on 70 plus day cruises.  Even a 40 day cruise is not gonna happen again he says.  😢

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

We have only been through the Canal one time!  I was supposed to be on the Volendam heading to Antarctica but DH has put his foot down on 70 plus day cruises.  Even a 40 day cruise is not gonna happen again he says.  😢

Our longest cruise has been 15 days and that was a full transit starting at San Diego,  I couldn't imagine one much longer for us while we have the cats.

• Like 16

Funny that the two screen captures were posted by people on Zuiderdam.

This is my third full transit of the Canal. The first was on USS Kinkaid in 1976 from east to west.

The other full (west to east) was also on Zuiderdam along with a partial on Zuiderdam.

• Like 19

1 hour ago, 4966and556 said:

Thank you for the Daily Report and all the contributors.  It's minus 1C here today.  When dh and I went out to get groceries we noticed that the roads had been sprayed, so I guess they are expecting some bad weather. 

Forgive me (I don’t live with snow/ice) I’ve heard of roads being salted, bur sprayed with what?

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @rafinmd @richwmn.

I haven't had a bubble bath since childhood, even with my large cast iron claw foot tub in this house; I'm a shower person. No males around to watch, lol. I like argyle sweaters and socks. A sweet quote. I like the meal, drink and wine.

I haven't been to Ilfracombe.

It's sunny and upper 30's here today. Well, exciting news! BFF called yesterday to say we are replacing our cancelled Celebrity Caribbean cruise with a Celebrity TA from FLL to Amsterdam! I've never done a TA. There will be stops in Bermuda, Cork, Dorset and Southampton, Le Havre, Bruges and Amsterdam. Then we'll go to Germany to spend almost 3 weeks with his family there. So, I need to start improving my fitness and stamina by walking on the treadmill, as my aches and pains permit (hoping injections next month will help).

@grapau27 Thank you for Fr. David's sermon today.

@aliaschief The meal looks great and love the rainbow pictures.

@ottahand7 I hope you feel better soon. And no more mishaps! Enjoy the canal transit.

@Seasick Sailor I hope your scratchy throat doesn't turn into anything. I've been having a stuffy nose and did a Covid test today; negative, yay. Probably due to the heat being on, so humidifier is on. And try to avoid the smokers and coughers.

@superoma Enjoy celebrating with the DGC.

@dobiemom There are liquid salt brines that are sometimes sprayed on the roads before snow is due to fall.

Prayers for @kazu @Scrapnana and all on the Care List. Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay well everyone.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Hi Sharon,

Yes, I sent a text on Navigator about the smokers, and AGAIN about the DAM scooter next door in the hallway!! I can barely get around it with Allen's wheelchair. I knocked on both doors in between the scooter and no one answered. So inconsiderate and it's still there 3 hours later..

At this point I’d be very upset and would talk with someone personally, maybe even the hotel manager. Smoking in cabins/balcony areas and scooters in the hallways are no no’s. I’m sorry you are having to deal with such issues on what should be a relaxing cruise. Please give Allen our best. 

• Like 15