The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday January 11th, 2023

rafinmd

Today is Learn Your Name in Morse Code Day, Step in a Puddle and Splash Your Friend's Day, and

Nearly all the best things that came to me in life have been unexpected, unplanned by me. - Carl Sandburg

Meal Suggestion for today - Easy Meat Lasagna
Drink of the Day - Dernier Cri
Wine of the Day - Joseph Drouhin Vosne-Romanée, Burgundy, France
Destination of the Day - Grand Turk Island, Cockburn Town, Turks and Caicos

Eurodam

Panama Canal 05:00 - 05:00

Koningsdam

Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico Riviera 08:00 - 21:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Falmouth Jamaica 08:00 - 17:00

Nieuw Statendam

St Thomas Island USVI, Charlotte Amalie, US Virgin Islands 08:00 - 17:00

Oosterdam

San Antonio, Chile 07:00 - 16:00

Rotterdam

Oranjestad Aruba, Netherlands Antilles 07:00 - 15:00

Volendam

Manta, Ecuador 05:00 - 20:00

Zaandam

Panama Canal 05:00 - 05:00

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Nuku Hiva Island, Taiohae, Marquesas French Poly eta 1-18

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

At Sea Destination Sydney, NSW Australia eta 1-14

Westerdam

Darwin, NT Australia 07:00 - 16:00

Capture1.JPG.ae60aab7b119311660241d790adfd3cf.JPG

Capture2.JPG.71b296f6dfdd19ecd35b88da25e50ce8.JPG

Roy for Rich

• Like 22
  • Thanks 11

Thanks for the Fleet update and general info.

Sincerely,

Dot dash dot  dot  dash dot dot  dash dot  dot  dash dot dash dot  dash dot dash    dash dot dot dot  dash dash dash  dash dot dot dot

If I  ever run into any of y’all please do not ask me for my autograph 😀

• Like 3
  • Haha 18

Good morning Daily-ites from Aruba on lovely Rotterdam.

0111230710.thumb.jpg.07a23042226e6eba32a16f7fe9a70d4e.jpg

Last night's dinner was in the MDR. I originally ordered catfish but the sauce burned the daylights out of my mouth. So ordered a mini dinner of the veal and it was very good.

Meeting a couple for breakfast this morning. We have enjoyed their company. 

Going into town a bit later. I see a lazy day in our future. 

2 weeks left of our journey. We need to move to our new cabin on Saturday so a change of deck scenery.

Prayers lifted to all, especially Kathi and Jacqui.

Have a great day!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Thanks for the Hump Day Report.

I tried learning Morse code many years ago when I got my Amateur Radio Licence, whatever I learned, I forgot.  I think my name is  dash dash, dot, dot dash dot dot, dot dash, dash dot, dot dot, dot.  I will not splash my friends.   Should there be a third day?

I like the quote.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to seeing the recipe. 

I hope the drink and wine are good too.

Prayers for everyone.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 22

Good morning.

It is currently 6°C and sunny.

We have been to the hospital this morning with our Sarah as her doctor sent her for back x-rays while waiting to get her an MRI scan resulting from her epileptic fits.

Thank you Roy for today's daily reports.

Good quote,nice food and nice port.

Take care and stay safe friends.

Graham.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 10

Good morning from Manta, Ecuador. We crossed the Equator around 4 while all were asleep. We both are battling wifi issues because we had "vampire" Kindle readers eating up all our internet. I have been in Guest Services lines more than I ever have imagined.  Our cruise has been wonderful so far other than a ship of sniffling, sneezing and coughing passengers battling bad colds. John is laid up with it currently. I am so glad I packed my nebulizer because I have been using it a lot. We had our Block Party last night and with free wines it was well attended and fun. Only thing that broke it up was it was Gala night and people had to get to dinner.  Today we will walk around this fishing town and just relax.  Food and service on this ship has been excellent and we are meeting some nice folks. Prayers for all on our Care list and the people of Ukraine. Photos sunrise at sea Tuesday,sloth reserve Gamboa Panama, Chaga (Crocodile) River Gamboa, Panama Canal viewing stands, last night's Gala dinner, Manta. IMG_20230109_102334589_HDR.thumb.jpg.7cf7f857415c9de1834579d9e23c1964.jpg Have a wonderful day! Nancy 

IMG_20230110_062013959.jpg

IMG_20230109_114230130.jpg

IMG_20230109_113142883.jpg

IMG_20230109_090621979_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230108_142100427_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230110_175544745.jpg

IMG_20230111_062101827.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 6

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  Today’s meal suggestion is a favorite of mine, garlic bread and wine would round out the meal. I look forward to recipes and pictures from @dfish.  I hope no one is traveling right now as all flights in the US are grounded due to a system error.  Hopefully it gets resolved quickly.  I like today’s quote and I think it’s mostly true.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.thumb.png.7d737e67d10090aa900552a4a8b874a0.png

• Like 12
  • Haha 14

39 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

Thanks for the Fleet update and general info.

Sincerely,

Dot dash dot  dot  dash dot dot  dash dot  dot  dash dot dash dot  dash dot dash    dash dot dot dot  dash dash dash  dash dot dot dot

If I  ever run into any of y’all please do not ask me for my autograph 😀

Bob if I ever run into you again I’m calling security!😁 By the way what cruise did we meet each other?

• Like 7
  • Haha 7

9 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

I hope no one is traveling right now as all flights in the US are grounded due to a system error.  Hopefully it gets resolved quickly.  

Oh no.  @Scrapnana's daughter is supposed to be flying to Fort Lauderdale to accompany her home this evening.

Roy

• Like 6
  • Thanks 10

23 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  Today’s meal suggestion is a favorite of mine, garlic bread and wine would round out the meal. I look forward to recipes and pictures from @dfish.  I hope no one is traveling right now as all flights in the US are grounded due to a system error.  Hopefully it gets resolved quickly.  I like today’s quote and I think it’s mostly true.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.thumb.png.7d737e67d10090aa900552a4a8b874a0.png

Hopefully Jacqui is home already.

• Like 17

Good morning friends!  It is 39F and will be sunny and 64 later today.  No complaints.  I heard on the news about the flight problems this morning and immediately thought of Kathi @Scrapnana's daughter flying in to help her home this evening.  I really hope her airline is still flying though since it's a safety issue, there's a good chance she won't unless the plane is in the air.  Thank goodness Jacqui @kazuwas flying yesterday!  (I see above that she is in flight.  Thanks @1ANGELCAT)

Graham @grapau27prayers for Sarah as she gets her X-ray and MRI done today.  She is no doubt grateful for your and Pauline's support.

Thanks Rich @richwmnand Roy @rafinmdfor the Daily this morning.  The days we're celebrating are certainly unique.  I think they should call Roy's suggestion National Human Trafficking Prevention Day.  I would love to try the lasagna dish and I'm sure Debbie @dfishhas some interesting versions.  Thanks to everyone for their contributions to the Daily.  Prayers for all on the Care list and cheers for the Celebration list.  Yesterday I made an error because it was actually 11 years since my Mom's passing.  I must have thought it was still 2022.  Today on the other hand is a happy day, DGS Ren's 16th birthday.  I hear he is close to having enough hours behind the wheel of a car to get his driver's license.  A Michigan law and yes, his parents do keep track.

The port today is Cockburn Town, Grand Turk, Turks and Caicos.  We have seen Turks and Caicos listed here twice before on Oct. 20, 2021 and on April 29, 2022.  My first time there was when I accompanied DD, her hubby and 4 children on a Caribbean cruise in 2010.  The kids were 12, 10, 8 and 23 months old.   I shared a cabin with the three eldest and the rest of the family was right next door.  I had a blast!  DH was more than happy to stay home that week for some reason.  😄  DH's first visit was on Veendam in 2018 and I will post photos from then shortly.  Here are Rich's posts from the last two postings so you can retrieve your photos.

Some photos from our January 2018 stop in Grand Turk on the Veendam.  The view from the ship of the beach.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLlRLgO6vkagdgImyWYrlId?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1518269915

Oh my! 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLHPHy6n7mjRo8lZsDX0xvz?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1518269927

We were there first but the Koningsdam arrived during our walk around on the shore.  Pulling up to the pier across from the Veendam.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJlxXsqSY8iYtwfo8oYDCdk?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1518269876

😲  I'm really gonna miss the Veendam.  I like a smaller ship.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJc0qzH3Y_xQien2SysCvVi?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1518268350

Another look at the Margaritaville Beach.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLgz-AfcWAvC5muS4rOINij?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1518269787

The shopping area.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLj8pX5IJzLpmsPCc0nliE6?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1518269819

Before the crowds arrived

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKVjV6Vs0_6H-8cTN3bEZb3?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1518269824

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKwdPDIJyEi1QAsYP-E1yBv?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1518269832

Sit down and take a load off while your significant other does some shopping.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJZaejNoK1Kw01byKTZl9kd?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1518269850

Some damage to the palm trees on the beach due to an prior hurricane00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVII1DexvMpB9exgsJZfcrkC?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1518269858

We're on the lower right portion of this map where the red star is.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLuxHpo06BW946np0fHq1Ii?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1518269891

A local Harley Davidson store.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLVXBiAAEsgnq3KJ0ikowQp?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1518269895

Goodbye Grand Turk!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK6GgYUh4W61y5s5EuZc8vn?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1518269940

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 7

37 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Bob if I ever run into you again I’m calling security!😁 By the way what cruise did we meet each other?

Thanks for the heads up.

As far as what cruise we meet each other on, I can’t be to specific but I think it was a Canada cruise from Montreal to Ft Lauderdale, October 10, 2009, 13 days. The M&G was held on second day mid ship at the Piano Bar at 10 am. You and your lovely DW gave out prizes based on questions you asked to the CC members. I think I had for breakfast that morning……

I think that covers it.

• Like 6
  • Haha 6

Looking at photos from my week-long cruise with the kids and grandkids, here are a couple of photos from our day on Grand Turk.  I went to the kids' club with the "baby" helping entertain him.  We had all been to shore, walking that long pier, trying to keep the little one from breaking free and jumping off the pier.  Just kidding!  It was very hot that day as it usually is, and we didn't stay too long.  When we got back to the ship (Emerald Princess) we let him run around the atrium in circles for a bit before lunch and playtime at the kid's club.  Lucky for us, the atrium was almost empty.  Well, except for that one poor man!

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJVq2gVzgFD24WoVXJJ-45y?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1282446329

Here's the kid's club photo.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKdvjBRdrZ_OYaBFnBjKxUB?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1282446332

And here's the endless energy machine.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLrKtjg-SBp6X7wTBBBqtk8?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1282446330

Whoops!  Sorry fella!

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL6O8RWLZ4lBH3vIuy3CsTg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1282446331

The afternoon was spent watching the three eldest swim while DD took a nap with the baby.  Good times I'll never forget.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Morning Dailyites! Cheers to Rich & Roy for creating & posting the Report & Daily. It is a wonderful way to start the day. Though technically I start my day with a Bindi walk. And Bindi has returned to her normal healthy self.😎

It was 43 this morning. The sun has already started warming up the air & it looks to be another stellar day. A gym class this morning. And then my HIIT class has moved to this evening. And Bindi walks. I also need to prioritize my next home projects. I will sleep well tonight. 

Visitors to Craigville Beach on Cape Cod will get this. Although I have witnessed some fry stealing gulls on Ft. Myers Beach, too. 

73FAC398-824F-4D91-BEEC-5349AB2FE46C.jpeg.08737874cc1aa1e482bd3964d70ef6c2.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Jacqui & Kathi once again you top the list. 
Cheers to all who are celebrating! Get well & stay well everyone!

Joseph Drouhin Vosne-Romanée, Burgundy, France

The trusty decoder ring was useful once again. And this wine deserves any effort putting in to discovering it. I used the 2019 vintage info, but every released vintage shares the same excellent ratings. I would love a taste, but sadly this Pinot Noir is outside of my budget. Numerous online distributors with prices starting at $98.89.

Winemaker Notes

Supreme elegance! Beautiful color, with intense and bright reflections. The diversity of the aromas is striking: wild cherry, nutmeg, camphor wood, fine leather. Later on, the wine takes on a subtle aroma of truffle, producing the most varied palette. With its perfect balance between tannin and acidity, the wine has a fleshy, sturdy body. Powerful and long aftertaste. A wealth of harmonious sensations characterizes this great Burgundy.

JM93 Jasper Morris
Including declassified 1er Cru Les Chaumes, with 20% whole bunch vinification. Bright mid purple with an extremely concentrated vivid fruit, this is very striking, with an additional kick on the second half of the palate, a touch of strawberry, but especially raspberry, and good acidity behind. Bravo. 
Barrel Sample: 91-93
JS93 James Suckling
Fragrant nose of black raspberries and summer flowers with a delicate hint of oak. Suave and sophisticated, this is light on its feet, like a tiny dancer, but held aloft by a very solid support of fine tannins. Drink or hold.
Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 9
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

Thanks for the heads up.

As far as what cruise we meet each other on, I can’t be to specific but I think it was a Canada cruise from Montreal to Ft Lauderdale, October 10, 2009, 13 days. The M&G was held on second day mid ship at the Piano Bar at 10 am. You and your lovely DW gave out prizes based on questions you asked to the CC members. I think I had for breakfast that morning……

I think that covers it.

Forgot, it was Holland America Maasdam

• Like 11

Dernier Cri Cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts Jim Beam® Bonded
1 part Sour Mix
1 part Green Chartreuse Liqueur
4-6 leaves Mint, Fresh
Garnish with Mint Sprig

Instructions
Muddle mint with sour and Chartreuse. Add Bourbon. Shake vigorously and double strain (to remove any bits of mint) into a chilled coup glass. Garnish with mint sprig.

Screenshot 2023-01-11 at 8.30.06 AM.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 11

Good morning, everyone!

Rain is forecast for mid-Michigan this afternoon.  I wonder if they will be as accurate with that as they are with sunshine predictions.  I guess we'll find out.  I'm heading to the gym for my class this morning.  I did well yesterday on my own.  I need the weight bearing exercise for my bones and the walking track helps there as well as the weight machines.  I try to alternate upper body weight machines with lower body ones.  What I like about the classes is that the instructors do a good job of hitting all major muscle groups as well as working on balance and other things.  The combination of the classes and my walking/weights is a good one and I can feel the difference.  

Today's meal is a favorite!  I do have to confess that I have never made lasagna.  I cook for one and lasagna isn't something you make for one person.  I also limit it due to the carbs.  However you make it, garlic bread and a nice fresh green salad make a wonderful meal.  If you have tips for making lasagna, please share them!

This first recipe calls for making your own sauce.  My mom made great sauce, but she cooked it long and slow allowing those flavors to really blend.  https://www.aheadofthyme.com/easy-meat-lasagna/

2145208443_MeatLasagna1.thumb.jpg.d2e369ee8dc62753b32593cc29f42a18.jpg

That looks so good!   This next one also calls for making your own sauce and it uses ground beef with Italian sausage.  The sausage helps sweeten the sauce so it doesn't seem bitter.   https://www.spendwithpennies.com/easy-homemade-lasagna/

463357911_MeatLasagna2.thumb.jpeg.7ae49e8cd5cc15c1f02eda7fda2257f5.jpeg

Here is one more with slightly different seasonings.   If you really want to make it easy you can use a jar of sauce from the grocery store.  I've been known to doctor up the premade stuff a bit.   https://cheeseknees.com/meat-lasagna/

600301774_MeatLasagna3.thumb.jpg.c14542354786ef4ee64e98328f57abf0.jpg

Ok, let's hear what your favorite lasagna recipe is!

Hoping @kazu Jacqui made it home safely.  Fingers crossed for @Scrapnana Kathi to have a safe trip home today.  Wishing all of you a wonderful day.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 10

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  It is 39F and will be sunny and 64 later today.  No complaints.  I heard on the news about the flight problems this morning and immediately thought of Kathi @Scrapnana's daughter flying in to help her home this evening.  I really hope her airline is still flying though since it's a safety issue, there's a good chance she won't unless the plane is in the air.  Thank goodness Jacqui @kazuwas flying yesterday!  (I see above that she is in flight.  Thanks @1ANGELCAT)

Graham @grapau27prayers for Sarah as she gets her X-ray and MRI done today.  She is no doubt grateful for your and Pauline's support.

Thanks Rich @richwmnand Roy @rafinmdfor the Daily this morning.  The days we're celebrating are certainly unique.  I think they should call Roy's suggestion National Human Trafficking Prevention Day.  I would love to try the lasagna dish and I'm sure Debbie @dfishhas some interesting versions.  Thanks to everyone for their contributions to the Daily.  Prayers for all on the Care list and cheers for the Celebration list.  Yesterday I made an error because it was actually 11 years since my Mom's passing.  I must have thought it was still 2022.  Today on the other hand is a happy day, DGS Ren's 16th birthday.  I hear he is close to having enough hours behind the wheel of a car to get his driver's license.  A Michigan law and yes, his parents do keep track.

The port today is Cockburn Town, Grand Turk, Turks and Caicos.  We have seen Turks and Caicos listed here twice before on Oct. 20, 2021 and on April 29, 2022.  My first time there was when I accompanied DD, her hubby and 4 children on a Caribbean cruise in 2010.  The kids were 12, 10, 8 and 23 months old.   I shared a cabin with the three eldest and the rest of the family was right next door.  I had a blast!  DH was more than happy to stay home that week for some reason.  😄  DH's first visit was on Veendam in 2018 and I will post photos from then shortly.  Here are Rich's posts from the last two postings so you can retrieve your photos.

Some photos from our January 2018 stop in Grand Turk on the Veendam.  The view from the ship of the beach.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLlRLgO6vkagdgImyWYrlId?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1518269915

Oh my! 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLHPHy6n7mjRo8lZsDX0xvz?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1518269927

We were there first but the Koningsdam arrived during our walk around on the shore.  Pulling up to the pier across from the Veendam.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJlxXsqSY8iYtwfo8oYDCdk?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1518269876

😲  I'm really gonna miss the Veendam.  I like a smaller ship.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJc0qzH3Y_xQien2SysCvVi?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1518268350

Another look at the Margaritaville Beach.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLgz-AfcWAvC5muS4rOINij?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1518269787

The shopping area.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLj8pX5IJzLpmsPCc0nliE6?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1518269819

Before the crowds arrived

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKVjV6Vs0_6H-8cTN3bEZb3?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1518269824

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKwdPDIJyEi1QAsYP-E1yBv?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1518269832

Sit down and take a load off while your significant other does some shopping.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJZaejNoK1Kw01byKTZl9kd?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1518269850

Some damage to the palm trees on the beach due to an prior hurricane00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVII1DexvMpB9exgsJZfcrkC?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1518269858

We're on the lower right portion of this map where the red star is.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLuxHpo06BW946np0fHq1Ii?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1518269891

A local Harley Davidson store.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLVXBiAAEsgnq3KJ0ikowQp?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1518269895

Goodbye Grand Turk!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK6GgYUh4W61y5s5EuZc8vn?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1518269940

Have a great day everyone!

Thank you Sandi.

Doctor sent her to ER.

Only 1 visiter so Pauline with her.

🙏.

Lovely photos.

Graham 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 8