The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday January 14th, 2023

rafinmd

Good Saturday Morning Dailyites!  Computer says it's 33, but that is not adding in the wind chill.  The last time I flew a kite, was in November of 1973 on Skaket Beach on Cape Cod.  It flew out over the water and then crashed, breaking apart at sea. I pulled out a string.  I have purchased kites since then, and never remembered to take them with me when there was an opportunity to fly it, and I don't think January is the right time of year here.

I have not been to Cartagena, but will be there on my TA in October.  I never have tried Shepard's Pie, but it sounds like a feel good type of meal on a cold day.  I will not try to dress up the cats.  It's cruel.  To me, not them,  too many claws involved.

2f202bf762640a1117768a38a4c32096--halloween-humor-halloween-cat.jpg

Work today, then a trip to the Dollar Tree,.  DH and I did not win the Mega Millions, so nothing has changed around here.  

My ribs that I made last night had a bit of heat to them with the mild chili, and there were enough left over for lunch today.  So that lunch is covered, but why is lunch the hardest meal to figure out, if you are not eating bread?

Have a great day!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  Finally after 36 hours our internet, cable TV and home phone are working!!  Yesterday I was so bored.  I did Sudoku puzzles and read books all day long.  Not being able to join in here whenever I wanted was no fun at all.  Anyway I can now tell you that it's 31F and very windy.  I have a lot to catch up with on this board so will get to that shortly.

Thanks to Rich and Roy for our Daily and Fleet Report.  Nice to see the photos of Nieuw Statendam and Rotterdam gliding into Port Everglades earlier today.  Joy @Seasick SailorI'm sorry to hear about your friend breaking his wrist on those heavy doors.  They are quite dangerous in high winds.  Graham @grapau27I hope Sarah is not in too much pain as she waits for her injection. Sorry if I'm behind on the Daily news but want to reassure everyone they are in my prayers, including Jacqui and Kathi in addition to Sarah.🙏  Cheers for all on the Celebration list!  🥂

A salute to kites, and dressing up pets (if they allow that sort of thing), and organizing your home.  I bet a lot of us need to do that job, including me naturally.  The shepherd's pie sounds interesting so will wait for Debbie's @dfish recipes.  Thanks for the drink and wine descriptions ladies!

Our port today is Cartagena, Spain and those who have been there know what a lovely city is is.  Rich last posted that city on Aug. 22, 2022 (Graham @grapau27 and Pauline's  anniversary I noticed).  Here is the link to that date to retrieve your photos.  I have been to Cartagena and will post my photos next.

We enjoyed Cartagena, Spain twice, in 2014 on Celebrity Constellation and Sept. 2018 on Prinsendam.   Most of my favorite photos were take our first time there in 2014 on Celebrity Constellation.  

In 2018 as the Prinsendam docked we saw a submarine come into the harbor.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI9mDKx3C4jafgohXIF0czf?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1538531414

Something I didn't see our first time here

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ-y89KORRRrgyKy-oYGqfn?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1538531522

My favorite photo of the peacocks.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLmrz_w39dGbOeU3ZF1ym-s?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1538531787

The Elegant Explorer, Prinsendam 201800-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKcTVSOgSxxgTA-89fax0xM?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1538531840

Mom, Dad and the kiddies all dressed up for the festival that weekend.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK_5pjM3NO0E3ZS2xg7rsyD?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1538531864

In November, 2014 we tried Celebrity Constellation out for a transatlantic back to the states. There were many things we enjoyed about the ship, but we didn't care for the food or price of a bottle of wine.  This photo was the cover of my cruise photo book.  It's the monument to the Heroes of Cavite and Santiago de Cuba.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKNZ3W4Yh0fjfzk774bDSWj?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416779150

The date was November 8 so fewer tourists were in town crowding the streets.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKtGwyxAkXNLNjCIY-UGe44?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416779153

The historic Town Hall.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVII76o9ReGh9x1C4A0ORZ-Z?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416779160

You almost walk right by this church but it's beautiful inside.  The Church of Santo Domingo.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ6R7ZR80vIS9k_OLijGz-z?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1538531473

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIBQPl4T8lsbwikW3hCcHrJ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416779172

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKku2ED4s2u0LhpkIzXv5gu?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416779169

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJkzHqsHEqUsS7DO3YyNFSV?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1538531480

Ruins just below street level00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVISRLnjYhrYNcBZk8LhqOaZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416779191

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK2Qzz1WbRrWQUOKB1n-9Ye?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416779188

On the elevator bridge looking below while starting our visit to Conception Castle.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLREiV8QaHDOj5Qy1WzGegU?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416779214

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ47BzXcqTNEYuxNabYNwYX?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416779255

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLLAN7H1JTTED67wdWvLa_N?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416779233

The restaurant we visited for a drink and their very fast Wi-Fi.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL5JwplWqcCsoZzipo_6rCK?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416779286

Many thanks Sandi and thank you for remembering our wedding anniversary on August 22nd.

I can understand how you felt about not having an internet connection and not being able to join in here.

Your photos today are excellent.

Graham.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich & Roy. It is a blustery morning here in Florida. 37/feels like 32. And the wind is whipping. Bindi walked out the door and turned around to go back in the house. The sun will help a little, but I need to cover my Meyer lemon tree tonight. We are looking at somewhere in the 20s. Brrr. It would be the perfect day to dress up Bindi in a warm sweater or coat, but she will not budge, when I put anything on her. 

Roy thank you for our lists & maps. I am sure the Dailyites know how lucky they are that you beat me to posting the Report/Daily every day.  They would not get maps, if I posted it. 

Tonight I am taking dinner to a friend, who just returned from spending 3 weeks with her youngest daughter. Her daughter’s fiancé was tragically killed in a logging accident, when a tree fell on him. It will be good to see her. We will share some wine, food and perhaps a few tears.  Dinner will be salmon, sweet potatoes roasted with a maple/butter glaze and salad. 

This looks familiar to me, so I apologize if it is a repeat.

595E0BF0-19B3-4B4A-A099-27CA958AD665.jpeg.b9a47529918e262f8a8bdd368b995e71.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Especially Sarah, Kathi and Jacqui! Cheers to all who are celebrating. Get well & stay well everyone!

Realm Cellars The Bard, Napa Valley, California 2016

Cab lovers take note - this Napa Cab has a great many consumer and critic fans.  It’s excellent - superb ratings are shared by all released vintages, so you might find a more recent vintage for a bit less. The 2016 is available through online auctions and online distributors. But neither is within my budget. Auction $130.00/online distributor prices start at $175.00.

Winemaker Notes

We consider The Bard to be the quintessential wine of Realm: a dense, weighty and concentrated wine that year in and year out showcases the very best Cabernet Sauvignon of Napa Valley. Beckstoffer To Kalon and Dr. Crane, Blair Vineyard, Weitz Vineyard, Fortuna Vineyard, and Beckstoffer Orchard have all found a place in The Bard. While the composition of the wine varies from year to year, Cabernet Sauvignon typically comprises over 70% of the blend, joined by lesser percentages of Merlot, Cabernet Franc and/or Petit Verdot.
RP98 Robert Parker's Wine Advocate
A blend of 85% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Merlot and 5% Petit Verdot from 21 different lots from 11 different vineyards, the 2016 The Bard is very deep purple-black in color and sashays out of the glass with strikingly beautiful violets, warm cassis, star anise and chocolate mint notes with hints of wood smoke, tobacco and kirsch, with blackberry compote at the core. Full, muscular and built like a brick house with layer upon layer of black, blue and red fruits, it finishes very long and savory.
JD97 Jeb Dunnuck
The Left Bank Bordeaux-themed release, the 2016 The Bard checks in as roughly 70% Cabernet Sauvignon with the balance Merlot, Cabernet Franc, and Petit Verdot. This cuvée is sourced from sites such as To Kolan, Dr. Crane, Weitz, and Fortuna as well as a few others, and is brought up in plenty of new oak. It has a mammoth bouquet of crème de cassis and blueberry fruits intermixed with ground herbs, graphite, chocolate, and crushed rocks. Full-bodied, opulent and layered on the palate, with a powerful yet balanced, incredibly classic style, it has a certain approachability today but is going to cruise for two decades. It’s a brilliant wine.
WW96 Wilfred Wong of Wine.com
The Bard Red Wine by Realm Cellars belongs to a select group of ultra, high-end Napa wines. The 2016 vintage is firm and long. Enjoy its intoxicating aromas and flavors of black fruit with aged cheeses and semi-serious conversations. 
WE94 Wine Enthusiast

The Bard is 85% Cabernet Sauvignon this vintage, and the producer’s largest production wine, which still is small and devoted to detail. Sweet redcherry-liqueur flavor meets a grippy herbal undertone of forceful weight and power, the structure balanced and complex, yet immediately enjoyable

Sending condolences to your friends youngest daughter after the sad loss of her fiancé.

Thank you also for your good wishes for Sarah.

Graham.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

marshhawk, I agree about lunch ! Every other meal is no problem but lunch just works against my peace of mind. I think its from all those years working and having lunch there. Plus I try not to eat bread at every meal which really limits both myself and my husband. At the grocery I watch those children who always stop for the free cookie....I so envy them. I keep telling myself I can have all the cookies I want on the ship but its still depressing.....

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Debbie @dfish, I adapted my recipe from a NYT site that has a paywall.It is a big hit but a fair amount of work.

preheat oven to 350

in Dutch oven melt two tablespoons of unsalted butter and sauté one large onion,minced and four medium leeks cut into one inch pieces

in a separate pan sauté one pound of mushrooms (quartered) in two tablespoons olive oil

add two tsp chopped fresh thyme and two tsp chopped fresh parsley

Add two cloves minced garlic to mushroom sauté and when done add the mushroom mixture to the leeks and onions

To make the sauce add two cups whole milk and two tsp cornstarch dissolved in two tsp water,heat until it thickens

I make my own mashed potatoes but store bought is fine….

place in 9x13 dish, cover with mashed potatoes and bake 45 minutes

• Like 11
  • Thanks 9

Good morning from a sunny, not windy and cold central Texas.  It is currently 33F at 8:50 am, but should reach somewhere in the 60s this afternoon.  We are looking forward to four days in the 70s beginning tomorrow.

We don't have any pets, but when we did, we did not dress them up.  The most we did was put sweaters on them in cold weather.  Nikki, one of our dachshunds, would always manage to get her front legs out of the sweater and wind up with the neck around her chest behind the front legs.  DH has several very nice kites, but we haven't flown them in many years.  Twenty years or so ago, we'd spend time on the Washington and Oregon coasts where we would fly the kites on the beach.  We also visited the World Kite Museum and Hall of Fame in Long Beach, WA.  I've been organizing our house for most of the past three years.  It's a never ending job.

Ralph Waldo Emerson's quote is very true.  My nextdoor neighbor, who I've know for at least 70 years, and I can be rather silly but maybe not stupid at times.

Shepherd's Pie sounds good as does the pricey wine.  We'll pass on the drink.

We were in Cartagena, Spain, in 2017 on the Prinsendam TA back to Fort Lauderdale.

@rafinmd  Roy, thank you again for doing double or triple duty with your lists, Rich's @richwmn Fleet/Daily report, and Jacqui's @kazu Bon Voyage posts.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, enjoy your final segment and new cabin.  I'm sorry your friend broke his wrist while helping someone else.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, I know you are happy that you can begin taking things back to the house even though it will be a lot of work.

@smitty34877  Terry, glad the first outing with the dogs was successful.  Maybe someone can go with you on a couple of dog walks as you get over your apprehension.  Thanks for the vegetarian shepherd's pie recipe.  I'll save it as another dish I can cook for our vegetarians, and I might add carrots to the recipe.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I'm glad you are reconnected to the outside world again.

@cat shepard  Ann, our condolences to your friend and her daughter over the loss of the daughter's fiancé.

@Lady Hudson  Katherine, I know you will enjoy the two upcoming cruises.

@dfish  Debbie, congratulations on the two shut outs to go with your other one.

@marshhawk  Annie, I think you will like Cartagena.  It's a small, easily walkable town.  We solved the lunch dilemma about 16 years ago when we stopped eating lunch.  Now, I just have to figure out dinner since we each do our own thing for breakfast. 

@highland cruiser  BON VOYAGE 🛳️ as you sail on Koningsdam today.

Lenda

• Like 13
  • Thanks 5

These are my pictures of our one visit to Cartagena, Spain that I posted on August 22, 2022.  We were there with @rafinmd Roy, on the Prinsendam on November 4, 2017.

We walked around town and visited a couple of museums, the Roman theater, and the archeological site on top of the hill.

Cartagena from the Prinsendam.

DSC02598.thumb.JPG.ee94e3e44580eb62cf79dd18be244930.JPG

Walking into town, the National Museum of Underwater Archeology, and across the street from the museum.

DSC02599.thumb.JPG.15bad5b986c9a4a3145572369d8e2941.JPG

DSC02601.thumb.JPG.2206ffd32bed507085f7f0f921ed70d2.JPG

DSC02607.thumb.JPG.5a2fbf273d87351c14f888ec753e907a.JPG

Walking into the older part of town.  There was a festival that day, and I think they were celebrating their Roman heritage.

DSC02610.thumb.JPG.de1e6dec88868b31a28ceb121caddf2b.JPG

DSC02612.thumb.JPG.998d5073f2403e9ad06b75f0fe55d37f.JPG

The Roman Theater

DSC02619.thumb.JPG.7a37c0f50469b01673efd70284354627.JPG

DSC02627.thumb.JPG.7e0f9ab9edcaaf514672b260a618c64f.JPG

My Latin isn't good enough to translate this sign.

DSC02634.thumb.JPG.e901d847e92079012b02cac6e56cfe0c.JPG

More scenes of the festival

DSC02636.thumb.JPG.46d3ab6b69ae2436dd26d6d02e9e7818.JPG

DSC02639.thumb.JPG.547e78ba5e9cd2d6d3b36e4c5fd4bad0.JPG

DSC02643.thumb.JPG.00d6f6042da6f99a33dec4aed94449e7.JPG

The Military Museum

DSC02642.thumb.JPG.8dfba160cc9b51bf0f675767f786c1e8.JPG

These are from the hill with the archeology museum.

DSC02651.thumb.JPG.9ae59ba9e532c2b00f869a445423ea80.JPG

Torre Linterna

DSC02652.thumb.JPG.e420bb459dc6581395a3d2ce61fbba3f.JPG

The old Plaza de Toros

DSC02650.thumb.JPG.72f6dfb1d0264f48deae15fc1d69b28d.JPG

The new amphitheater next to the ancient Roman Theater.

DSC02658.thumb.JPG.c9620b15a139ecc1637fa4052d7e63d7.JPG

Overlooking Cartagena

DSC02655.thumb.JPG.743e93d637db3afcbfa5d0e65f8d4e00.JPG

One of the many peacocks

DSC02667.thumb.JPG.b734627d8e988618324b4030e75aede2.JPG

The elevator to reach the top of the hillDSC02668.thumb.JPG.fa07bdb4e41199e1cb2ad76328acf7a1.JPG

There were three ships in town that day, Thompson Dream aka Westerdam, which sadly has gone to the breakers, Veendam and Prinsendam.  Your can see the Thompson Dream in the upper left had corner of the picture of the two theaters.  Our two favorite HAL ships.

DSC02664.thumb.JPG.017a5537c4303b6e4102d44d7eef4bdf.JPG

We also visited the House of fortune, which is below street level and shows how the ancient Romans lived.  The pictures are not that good.

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 5

Good morning. It is a lovely sunny morning but all that is supposed to change later tonight. Two storms are heading out way... one tonight through Sunday evening and the second Monday night through Wednesday. We shall see but I think people are going to be rushing about getting supplies in.... I did my shopping a couple of days ago so the dogs and I are all set. Nothing special on my agenda today except for a meeting of our local kennel club at 1:30 to discuss the May dog show so it will be reorganizing the house for me... if I can just get going.  As to the other days.... I haven't flown a kite in years. My dogs allow me to put coats on them and I have to in order to get the Chihuahua out the door. He is petitioning for a move to a warmer place.

Best wishes to Kathi, Jacqui and Sarah and anyone else who needs positive vibes. Of to read about world cruises and then start clearing up the kitchen.

Susan

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today's Daily Report.

Yet another overcast day.  Other than a very brief bit of sunshine earlier this week, we haven't had a clear day in 3 weeks, according to the weather forecast last night.  It was supposed to be sunny today, but Mother Nature decided it should snow a bit.  

Dh is making "his" version of stew right now, so I can't get into the kitchen.  I could, but I'm not going to.   Tomorrow dh will be making his version of chili.  Basically I have the weekend off from cooking supper, but not any of the clean up.  

I think all 3 of our cats would happily claw us to shreds if we tried to put clothes on them.  The youngest cat needs meds to calm her down if she has a vet appointment.

Sounds like our water delivery (to our cistern) is backing into the driveway, so I need to go pre-pay the driver. 

• Like 15

Thanks for Saturday Daily,  Roy.

The only dressing up of pets I ever did was coats for my dogs when it was too cold outside.  Looks like I can’t celebrate fly a kite or organizing the home being a one arm bandit.

That quote by Emerson is a good one and very true.  We’ve been to Cartagena a few times and I think our favourite time was at Easter when there was the special procession that we got to enjoy.

Our storm that started yesterday continues today – mostly freezing rain and ice pellets tomorrow.  Well I’m not going anywhere so I’m safe inside.

No exciting news here other than the fact that I discovered when the pharmacy filled my prescription they didn’t give me enough of the pain medication.  Called my pharmacist and he recommended Aleve or Advil and one of my kind neighbours will pick it up for me today.  ♥️   Am I spoiled or what?  I’ll be glad when I can get to the doctor on Tuesday for sure.

I have offers for rides whether it be to the doctor, the hospital etc.

5 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Daily-ites. Looks like our beautiful Rotterdam has docked in FLL. We had quite a windy rocky night. Our balcony chairs rearranged themselves and the empty hangars in the closet sounded like windchimes tinkling away. A chilly welcome!

Thank you Roy and F and B ladies, and Sandi and Lend a with your great travel photos.

Last night the husband of the couple who we've sat next to the past 10 days showed up in a cast. The day before he tried to help someone in a scooter open the heavy outside door. The door blew back and it broke his wrist. When he filed the report HAL took full responsibility. The doors should have had the yellow warning tape. So medical, xrays, casting etc are taken care of. They told us the medical Center is state of the art. 4 xrays were completed in seconds and the cast quickly done. They are staying on board til the 25th with a bit of scenic changes to their itinerary. (BTW, there were 2 heart patients waiting til this morning for ambulance, and a lady that was "dropped off" by her daughter saying her mother's Alzheimer's was too difficult for her to handle. The poor lady was totally in distress) Some daughter..

Today we will go through the World Stage turn around and pick up our new room keys. Moving from deck 5 to 8 for our final 10 days. This next itinerary is my favorite!

So glad that your dining partner has gotten good treatment by HAL and had their medical covered.  Just goes to show the inconsistency of ships doesn’t it 😉 😠 None of mine was covered.  And to make matters worse I can’t even pull up my final bill on Navigator to attempt to submit claims for the treatment and prove I paid for it on board.  Oh well - it will work out eventually.  Good luck with your move – hope you like your new room.

Prayers for everyone on the care list especially Kathi and Sarah and cheers to all those who have something to celebrate.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

These are my pictures of our one visit to Cartagena, Spain that I posted on August 22, 2022.  We were there with @rafinmd Roy, on the Prinsendam on November 4, 2017.

We walked around town and visited a couple of museums, the Roman theater, and the archeological site on top of the hill.

Cartagena from the Prinsendam.

DSC02598.thumb.JPG.ee94e3e44580eb62cf79dd18be244930.JPG

Walking into town, the National Museum of Underwater Archeology, and across the street from the museum.

DSC02599.thumb.JPG.15bad5b986c9a4a3145572369d8e2941.JPG

DSC02601.thumb.JPG.2206ffd32bed507085f7f0f921ed70d2.JPG

DSC02607.thumb.JPG.5a2fbf273d87351c14f888ec753e907a.JPG

Walking into the older part of town.  There was a festival that day, and I think they were celebrating their Roman heritage.

DSC02610.thumb.JPG.de1e6dec88868b31a28ceb121caddf2b.JPG

DSC02612.thumb.JPG.998d5073f2403e9ad06b75f0fe55d37f.JPG

The Roman Theater

DSC02619.thumb.JPG.7a37c0f50469b01673efd70284354627.JPG

DSC02627.thumb.JPG.7e0f9ab9edcaaf514672b260a618c64f.JPG

My Latin isn't good enough to translate this sign.

DSC02634.thumb.JPG.e901d847e92079012b02cac6e56cfe0c.JPG

More scenes of the festival

DSC02636.thumb.JPG.46d3ab6b69ae2436dd26d6d02e9e7818.JPG

DSC02639.thumb.JPG.547e78ba5e9cd2d6d3b36e4c5fd4bad0.JPG

DSC02643.thumb.JPG.00d6f6042da6f99a33dec4aed94449e7.JPG

The Military Museum

DSC02642.thumb.JPG.8dfba160cc9b51bf0f675767f786c1e8.JPG

These are from the hill with the archeology museum.

DSC02651.thumb.JPG.9ae59ba9e532c2b00f869a445423ea80.JPG

Torre Linterna

DSC02652.thumb.JPG.e420bb459dc6581395a3d2ce61fbba3f.JPG

The old Plaza de Toros

DSC02650.thumb.JPG.72f6dfb1d0264f48deae15fc1d69b28d.JPG

The new amphitheater next to the ancient Roman Theater.

DSC02658.thumb.JPG.c9620b15a139ecc1637fa4052d7e63d7.JPG

Overlooking Cartagena

DSC02655.thumb.JPG.743e93d637db3afcbfa5d0e65f8d4e00.JPG

One of the many peacocks

DSC02667.thumb.JPG.b734627d8e988618324b4030e75aede2.JPG

The elevator to reach the top of the hillDSC02668.thumb.JPG.fa07bdb4e41199e1cb2ad76328acf7a1.JPG

There were three ships in town that day, Thompson Dream aka Westerdam, which sadly has gone to the breakers, Veendam and Prinsendam.  Your can see the Thompson Dream in the upper left had corner of the picture of the two theaters.  Our two favorite HAL ships.

DSC02664.thumb.JPG.017a5537c4303b6e4102d44d7eef4bdf.JPG

We also visited the House of fortune, which is below street level and shows how the ancient Romans lived.  The pictures are not that good.

Lenda

Nice photos Lenda.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

Quickly here, during a quiet moment with the grandsons.  It's been great having them overnight, especially because in a few days they and their parents will be flying to Thailand for 12 days!  I'm trying not to worry about them.

It looks like it will be a beautiful day here today, very welcome in the middle of rain, rain, rain!  The roofers have started on my next-door neighbor's home.  She thinks she may be able to move back in by the end of the month or early February.  It's been a long ordeal for her since the tree fell on her house 2.5 months ago.  

I have a vague memory of dressing up my cats and putting them in my baby buggy when I was a little girl.  They must have put up with me, I can't imagine doing it if they clawed or bit.  It may have been only once too. 😉  

I'm not a big fan of Shepard's Pie, I'd rather have pot pie but it's "ok".  Will pass on the wine, the drink sounds good.  We'll be having left-over stew tonight after taking the boys home.

We were in Cartagena 3 times in 2019 when we were on our 75-day anniversary trip.  Still, we found something different to do each time, always on our own, no tour necessary.  It was easy to walk to everything.  We went to the Roman Theater, the Roman Forum, walked the Punic Wall (3rd century BC) to the House of Fortune, and took the 45-minute tourist bus around the city.  Not sure what we would have done if we'd gone there a 4th time that trip!  As you can tell, ancient ruins are why we love the Med.

First photos are from the 45-minute Tourist Bus and other walks around the town.

1577273783_walkingback.jpg.faff6d430aca64c7487c14cd4cf42fe9.jpg

279264437_strangetrees.thumb.jpg.b27230bc382de5b645608c6e3c760fa7.jpg

1144443776_Fromtouristbus.jpg.38fc6827c0f49905dbe35af9e1835118.jpg

Cartagena1.jpg.728e3ef67004feabbf6d749ab1cd3d0a.jpg

1533703600_Cartagenafountain.jpg.308f80218f19843d6827842ffa6c77dc.jpg

2081574966_Cartagenabuilding.jpg.dbcf5e324bdf37969bd61cbc53fe8649.jpg

1928110154_earlymorningskyoverCaragena.jpg.f22055dc4b738b43d9c00b26bfb51062.jpg

Our ship the beautiful Nieuw Statendam, can't wait to sail her again in a few weeks!

964862791_ourshipCartagena.jpg.0e764d9156e722afcbbab616fed625ac.jpg

Next are photos from the Teatro Romano Cartagena

2080149121_TeatroRomano.jpg.8512f338a3e81f25daac3131bbd6280a.jpg

1981268823_TeatroRomanoCartagena.thumb.jpg.295ceb69728c6f59913c7fe45bb31960.jpg

1562772826_RomanTheaterlookingdown.thumb.jpg.17e672accbf47352deeaeacde5cad5fd.jpg

Part of the stage

1293781498_partofstageTeatroRomano.thumb.jpg.56a03063f67b4fde15ca5acb1fd4859d.jpg

And the Roman Forum

12117444_RomanForum.jpg.e10228ed1351ff8b485cb5355fb4ed3c.jpg

1952356293_RomanForumCartagena.jpg.69390ff05a2eb2d024b12b59ee4807c7.jpg

1739161487_RomanForum1.jpg.bed98fd9a17ca87458f1d9f00d5edeeb.jpg

1958296148_AnotherRomanForumwall.jpg.19527b68f02f2dff8955567ede2be62a.jpg

This was an oven for baking bread.

57272222_RomanForumbreadoven.jpg.e0c3b95769ed76c43cfa1cd5aedbbe23.jpg

Some from the House of Fortune.  Amazing how the colors are still so vivid.

367085829_wallinHouseofFortune.jpg.d616dcaaa44ce5c939475bd9b850ec6d.jpg

940572728_morewall.jpg.5b2474e78db8d8397e231a15d8494472.jpg

bird.thumb.jpg.7a49b59d7d602e3e4652780e36186fde.jpg

And crypts

1415404518_cryptsCartagena.jpg.60ef9696ef6190d8e64f84cc497f6487.jpg

The ones on the left have been uncovered (photo above) and the ones on the right have not.

1963756841_CoveredanduncoveredcryptsCartagena.jpg.8bc0ae563bddddb083a2afcb9c6c19bb.jpg

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

When Bali was the port of the day earlier this week, I had a picture of some of the large kites that were for sale on the pier.  Those were not nearly as nice and elaborate as the ones we'd seen a in store specializing in kites.  We wanted to buy one, but would not have been able to get it home on the plane.  

The next winter in Quartzsite, one of the vendors who specialized in imported objects had some of the big kites from Bali for sale, and at a lower price than they were asking the tourists to pay on the island.  This is the one we chose, and it is hanging on our livingroom wall.  It has never been flown as it's too pretty, and we didn't want to chance ruining it.

20230114_105332.thumb.jpg.9bf324a9d1a6ce602f7f203d1ffd7710.jpg

Lenda

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

Good morning all,

The rain that was promised has yet to materialize. Predictions were f an inch and a half this weekend. They did, however, bring a frog who has taken up residence in our pond. He has noisy periods and I’m expecting the neighbors to complain.

The other day I got out the raincoat I had made for my Tioga. It is too small for our Golden, so I’ll probably make another that fits His Nibs.

This is my favorite video to celebrate Dress your Pet Day:

Have a great day everyone !

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 22

35 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Quickly here, during a quiet moment with the grandsons.  It's been great having them overnight, especially because in a few days they and their parents will be flying to Thailand for 12 days!  I'm trying not to worry about them.

It looks like it will be a beautiful day here today, very welcome in the middle of rain, rain, rain!  The roofers have started on my next-door neighbor's home.  She thinks she may be able to move back in by the end of the month or early February.  It's been a long ordeal for her since the tree fell on her house 2.5 months ago.  

I have a vague memory of dressing up my cats and putting them in my baby buggy when I was a little girl.  They must have put up with me, I can't imagine doing it if they clawed or bit.  It may have been only once too. 😉  

I'm not a big fan of Shepard's Pie, I'd rather have pot pie but it's "ok".  Will pass on the wine, the drink sounds good.  We'll be having left-over stew tonight after taking the boys home.

We were in Cartagena 3 times in 2019 when we were on our 75-day anniversary trip.  Still, we found something different to do each time, always on our own, no tour necessary.  It was easy to walk to everything.  We went to the Roman Theater, the Roman Forum, walked the Punic Wall (3rd century BC) to the House of Fortune, and took the 45-minute tourist bus around the city.  Not sure what we would have done if we'd gone there a 4th time that trip!  As you can tell, ancient ruins are why we love the Med.

First photos are from the 45-minute Tourist Bus and other walks around the town.

Our ship the beautiful Nieuw Statendam, can't wait to sail her again in a few weeks!

1562772826_RomanTheaterlookingdown.thumb.jpg.17e672accbf47352deeaeacde5cad5fd.jpg

Part of the stage

1293781498_partofstageTeatroRomano.thumb.jpg.56a03063f67b4fde15ca5acb1fd4859d.jpg

And the Roman Forum

And crypts

The ones on the left have been uncovered (photo above) and the ones on the right have not.

1963756841_CoveredanduncoveredcryptsCartagena.jpg.8bc0ae563bddddb083a2afcb9c6c19bb.jpg

Interesting photos, thank you for posting them.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Thanks for Saturday Daily,  Roy.

The only dressing up of pets I ever did was coats for my dogs when it was too cold outside.  Looks like I can’t celebrate fly a kite or organizing the home being a one arm bandit.

That quote by Emerson is a good one and very true.  We’ve been to Cartagena a few times and I think our favourite time was at Easter when there was the special procession that we got to enjoy.

Our storm that started yesterday continues today – mostly freezing rain and ice pellets tomorrow.  Well I’m not going anywhere so I’m safe inside.

No exciting news here other than the fact that I discovered when the pharmacy filled my prescription they didn’t give me enough of the pain medication.  Called my pharmacist and he recommended Aleve or Advil and one of my kind neighbours will pick it up for me today.  ♥️   Am I spoiled or what?  I’ll be glad when I can get to the doctor on Tuesday for sure.

I have offers for rides whether it be to the doctor, the hospital etc.

So glad that your dining partner has gotten good treatment by HAL and had their medical covered.  Just goes to show the inconsistency of ships doesn’t it 😉 😠 None of mine was covered.  And to make matters worse I can’t even pull up my final bill on Navigator to attempt to submit claims for the treatment and prove I paid for it on board.  Oh well - it will work out eventually.  Good luck with your move – hope you like your new room.

Prayers for everyone on the care list especially Kathi and Sarah and cheers to all those who have something to celebrate.

Jacqui, I'm so glad you're coping and doing okay.  What great neighbors you have!

39 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Part of the stage

And the Roman Forum

And crypts

You have some really great photos!  @marshhawkAnnie you are going to love Cartagena.  Show your DH and BF so they can get excited about it too.

34 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

When Bali was the port of the day earlier this week, I had a picture of some of the large kites that were for sale on the pier.  Those were not nearly as nice and elaborate as the ones we'd seen a in store specializing in kites.  We wanted to buy one, but would not have been able to get it home on the plane.  

The next winter in Quartzsite, one of the vendors who specialized in imported objects had some of the big kites from Bali for sale, and at a lower price than they were asking the tourists to pay on the island.  This is the one we chose, and it is hanging on our livingroom wall.  It has never been flown as it's too pretty, and we didn't want to chance ruining it.

20230114_105332.thumb.jpg.9bf324a9d1a6ce602f7f203d1ffd7710.jpg

Lenda

That's a beautiful butterfly kite!  Good find.

16 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Good morning all,

The rain that was promised has yet to materialize. Predictions were f an inch and a half this weekend. They did, however, bring a frog who has taken up residence in our pond. He has noisy periods and I’m expecting the neighbors to complain.

The other day I got out the raincoat I had made for my Tioga. It is too small for our Golden, so I’ll probably make another that fits His Nibs.

This is my favorite video to celebrate Dress your Pet Day:

Have a great day everyone !

So cute!!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I have no pet to dress up, and have never flown a kite. Organizing my home is an every day, every year goal. I really have a lot of "stuff" that I need to donate or sell; I'm working on it! Somewhat true quote. I love Shepherd's pie, and try to lesson carbs by using cauliflower mash on top. I'll pass on the drink and I'd like the wine but can't afford it.

I haven't been to Cartegena, Spain.

It's 26F with a wind chill here, and we got about 1" of snow overnight. I will be inside. Laundry time this afternoon and maybe steam cleaning the kitchen floor; fun times, lol! Plus watching playoff football.

@atexsix Bruno, good to hear that things are stable with you and Dear Dad. 

@aliaschief Enjoy Tortola.

@grapau27 I hope Sarah isn't in too much pain.

@Seasick Sailor Enjoy the last leg of the cruise! Sorry to hear of that gentleman's accident, but it sounds like HAL and the medical center stepped up to deal with it well.

@Cruzin Terri Good to hear your furniture arrived and you like it. Moving things from the apartment to the house will be time consuming, but you can take your time. 

@smitty34877 Great that you successfully took the dogs for a walk; continue to be careful! Thanks for the vegetarian version of shepherd's pie.

@StLouisCruisers Nice to have all your communication restored, isn't it? Great photos from Cartegena.

@cat shepard So sorry to hear about your friend's daughter's fiancé . 

@Quartzsite Cruiser Lovely Cartegena pictures. Wow on that kite! It's beautiful.

@kazu I hope your pain subsides soon; I'm sure you're looking forward to seeing your doctor for advice and treatment. And yay for having great neighbors!

@Cruising-along Enjoy the grandsons' visit. Good to hear the roof work is starting on you neighbor's house. It's been a long wait for her. Thanks for the Cartegena photos.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to the Celebration List.

Stay well everyone.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 6

3 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Debbie @dfish, I adapted my recipe from a NYT site that has a paywall.It is a big hit but a fair amount of work.

preheat oven to 350

in Dutch oven melt two tablespoons of unsalted butter and sauté one large onion,minced and four medium leeks cut into one inch pieces

in a separate pan sauté one pound of mushrooms (quartered) in two tablespoons olive oil

add two tsp chopped fresh thyme and two tsp chopped fresh parsley

Add two cloves minced garlic to mushroom sauté and when done add the mushroom mixture to the leeks and onions

To make the sauce add two cups whole milk and two tsp cornstarch dissolved in two tsp water,heat until it thickens

I make my own mashed potatoes but store bought is fine….

place in 9x13 dish, cover with mashed potatoes and bake 45 minutes

Thank you!  It sounds interesting with all the mushrooms!  I'd probably like it.

3 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@dfish  Debbie, congratulations on the two shut outs to go with your other one.

That has me laughing so hard!  It is quite a feat, let me tell you.

13 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

I love Shepherd's pie, and try to lesson carbs by using cauliflower mash on top.

Excellent idea!  Thank you!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

For the life of me I can't see any point in dressing up a pet other than a coat or blanket to provide warmth when the weather is to cold to be "doing what comes naturally".  There could never be any outfit that is as beautiful as the natural coat of an animal.

Okay now I will get off my high horse. I like Shephards Pie and would enjoy having someone make one for me, especially on a BHB. The drink sounds good and the wine is above my pay grade.

@kazuyour post today seems that you are getting into a better frame of mind; I hope that your pain will be gone soonand that you will fully recover from your accident and surgery. You are very blessed with such wonderful friends and neighbors.

@grapau27Is Sarah home from the hospital yet? I pray that the pain is tolerable and that the injections will provide the relief she needs. You and Pauline must be angels to provide for her as you have.

@Quartzsite CruiserThe kite on your wall is gorgeous.

Jane

Edited by lazey1
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning Everyone (still morning here)

Thanks for the Daily reports

So @Seasick Sailor story about the broken wrist reminded me of pur last cruise.  My eldest son came rolling into the cabin at 5am.  Im like really dude?  Turns out he was on outside deck on his way back when some tipsy middle age lady fell down the wet stairs and broke her ankle.  He helped her to sit and get under some shelter.  Then it took him forever to find medical assistance, going down to medical centre and what not.  I said to him why did you not use one of the numerous phones on the wall and dial 0.  Guess he is not of that generation, in fact I'm not sure he even knows what an operator is.  Sharp as a marble thst one.  Anyway being a witness and all that, it was 5am by the time things were finished with the ship reports and such

Enjoy the day.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, lazey1 said:

For the life of me I can't see any point in dressing up a pet other than a coat or blanket to provide warmth when the weather is to cold to be "doing what comes naturally".  There could never be any outfit that is as beautiful as the natural coat of an animal.

Okay now I will get off my high horse. I like Shephards Pie and would enjoy having someone make one for me, especially on a BHB. The drink sounds good and the wine is above my pay grade.

@kazuyour post today seems that you are getting into a better frame of mind; I hope that your pain will be gone soonand that you will fully recover from your accident and surgery. You are very blessed with such wonderful friends and neighbors.

@grapau27Is Sarah home from the hospital yet? I pray that the pain is tolerable and that the injections will provide the relief she needs. You and Pauline must be angels to provide for her as you have.

@Quartzsite CruiserThe kite on your wall is gorgeous.

Jane

Thank you.

When she told the surgeon she would have injections she was discharged from hospital soon after with painkillers.

Hopefully she gets the injections this week at an outpatients department.

• Like 14

7 hours ago, rafinmd said:

HAL Sailer DBIL in final days and family squabbles

@rafinmd I think it's time to take my sister-in-law (DSIL) off the Care list or move her to the Rotation. We are now two weeks into her vigil, she has not improved but yesterday she was moved from the hospital to a nursing home, and it seems her final days may be long in number. 

Many thanks,

-Melisa

Edited by HAL Sailer
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 10