The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday January 14th, 2023

rafinmd

Today's sunrise is from my 2018 Crystal Serenity Panama Canal cruise leading up to the World Cruise.  On January 14 we approached Puerto Caldera but were unable to dock due to wind conditions:

dawn0114.jpg

Roy

• Like 16
  • Thanks 7

We were in Cartagena twice on our 2018 eastbound TA/Mediterranean cruise (Koningsdam). We would love to go back again (& again)!

For the first stop, we went to Elche and saw some fantastic gardens - I highly recommend visiting there. On the second, we did a tapas & Roman ruins tour in town and had a great time. 

DSC_0054.thumb.JPG.a895e45a700130abaf61c52a164f6147.JPG

DSC_0023.thumb.JPG.ea95bb1fa8ded6554e334cf1158e441f.JPG

DSC_0014.thumb.JPG.cd8236a549dad7c78ab78aace91b68ee.JPG

DSC_0079.thumb.JPG.395c1fd3ffcff78e9a044316f1adf674.JPG

DSC_0088.thumb.JPG.7b6440a225641e7f65cb644423c0f02a.JPG

DSC_0256.thumb.JPG.976db1abb774d18b6622527c91f33b55.JPG

DSC_0261.thumb.JPG.d6ee21fc93837fe9a2d53935977f18a3.JPG

DSC_0272.thumb.JPG.2eca21e1acde16db4f26c782a85625de.JPG

DSC_0282.thumb.JPG.9d92a88b1765567279b1a84e52c8b5e5.JPG

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

Good Afternoon everyone!

I am taking a break from organizing one of the kitchen cupboards..............did I have a premonition that I needed to organize the cupboard? LOL.

I will pass on dressing up any of the pets.  Miss Princess would likely leave me injured if I tried!  Mr. Boots at 19 years old is to much of a gentleman to have me dress him.  Though like @Cruising-along as a young girl we had a tabby cat that we dressed and he rode in the doll buggy.  Never once did he bite or scratch, he was the perfect cat for kids, he just enjoyed being with us.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Thank you for the well wishes for Hubby, he is feeling better, but still not much energy.

@grapau27 Glad to hear they have a plan for Sarah.  Wishing her well.

Sure like the pictures everyone has posted of the port, beautiful destination!

Well I best quite procrastinating and go finish the kitchen cupboard as it will be hard to have dinner with all my cookbooks on the kitchen table!

Have a good weekend.

Denise

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Expecting rain this afternoon in San Diego County.  Maybe a good time to tidy the house?  I'll finish packing for 10 days in Hawaii and start sorting and "stressing" about packing for our b2b2b on Oceania Marina next month.  Antartica 🧊 and the Caribbean ☀️.  No dressed up pets altho I think that DGD would love to dress the new kitty. Ocho.thumb.jpeg.658a9ded5ee4a2a74d899e4ae863a8f5.jpeg

• Like 20

9 minutes ago, Overhead Fred said:

We were in Cartagena twice on our 2018 eastbound TA/Mediterranean cruise (Koningsdam). We would love to go back again (& again)!

For the first stop, we went to Elche and saw some fantastic gardens - I highly recommend visiting there. On the second, we did a tapas & Roman ruins tour in town and had a great time. 

DSC_0054.thumb.JPG.a895e45a700130abaf61c52a164f6147.JPG

DSC_0023.thumb.JPG.ea95bb1fa8ded6554e334cf1158e441f.JPG

DSC_0014.thumb.JPG.cd8236a549dad7c78ab78aace91b68ee.JPG

DSC_0079.thumb.JPG.395c1fd3ffcff78e9a044316f1adf674.JPG

DSC_0088.thumb.JPG.7b6440a225641e7f65cb644423c0f02a.JPG

DSC_0256.thumb.JPG.976db1abb774d18b6622527c91f33b55.JPG

DSC_0261.thumb.JPG.d6ee21fc93837fe9a2d53935977f18a3.JPG

DSC_0272.thumb.JPG.2eca21e1acde16db4f26c782a85625de.JPG

DSC_0282.thumb.JPG.9d92a88b1765567279b1a84e52c8b5e5.JPG

Nice photos especially of the gardens Fred.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Norseh2o said:

Expecting rain this afternoon in San Diego County.  Maybe a good time to tidy the house?  I'll finish packing for 10 days in Hawaii and start sorting and "stressing" about packing for our b2b2b on Oceania Marina next month.  Antartica 🧊 and the Caribbean ☀️.  No dressed up pets altho I think that DGD would love to dress the new kitty. Ocho.thumb.jpeg.658a9ded5ee4a2a74d899e4ae863a8f5.jpeg

Sweet new cat.

Your 10 day Hawaii trip and your b2b2b sounds wonderful.

Graham 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, 0106 said:

I love to see an animal who enjoys wearing a costume.

Have you seen “Crusoe the Celebrity Dachshund?”  I’m always amazed that the 3 dogs seem to enjoy the costumes for their video skits. 

We had a Doberman that we would take camping with us. Once when it was cold weather camping (I think we were at Bryce?) I put a sweatshirt on the “princess” with her front legs through the sleeves and rolled up a bit. She just stood there and hung her head like she was so embarrassed. She looked at DH and asked (I do animal translations 😆) “Daddy, do I HAVE to were this?” “Well, your mother put it on you, so I guess so.” Princess was good and didn’t try to take it off. The booties were a different story. 

• Like 15
  • Haha 4

Wondrous news here!  The sun is out for the first time in 3 weeks.  Add that to the fact that we had snow yesterday for the first time since Christmas and it is much nicer to look outside and see it so bright out there!   Nothing more distressing than looking at trees with no leaves and dead grass and overcast skies.The landscape has been very bleak.   Quite honestly I think that may be why there seems to be more crime around this region lately.  

• Like 14

9 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

This is short and very sweet.

WE ARE HOME!

Still plenty of stuff at the apartment by we will bring it over in due time.

Tonight I will sleep in my own bed.

Terri

So happy to hear that!  Get a good night's sleep.💤😴

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

This is short and very sweet.

WE ARE HOME!

Still plenty of stuff at the apartment by we will bring it over in due time.

Tonight I will sleep in my own bed.

Terri

That is wonderful news!    Enjoy!

• Like 5

Good evening.  Tonight, DH decided to grill pork chops which we haven't done in years.  The difference was he grilled thick pork chops, and they were the best yet.  We'll definitely get more in the future.

@kazu  Jacqui, I'm glad you are settled in to ride out the storm.  Your neighbors are a treasue.

@lazey1  Jane, I agree with you about dressing up pets.  They are beautiful just as they are.

@lobsternight  I'm glad your son was able to help the lady.

@HAL Sailer  Melissa, I hope your DSIL is comfortable and pain free.

@dobiemom  I  have seen the Crusoe the celebrity dachsund calendars, and as a former Dachshund owner, I'm not a fan.  Our dachshunds had too much pride to be seen in all the costumes.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, WOO HOO!  Sleep well tonight.

Lemda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 8

9 hours ago, kazu said:

Thanks for Saturday Daily,  Roy.

The only dressing up of pets I ever did was coats for my dogs when it was too cold outside.  Looks like I can’t celebrate fly a kite or organizing the home being a one arm bandit.

That quote by Emerson is a good one and very true.  We’ve been to Cartagena a few times and I think our favourite time was at Easter when there was the special procession that we got to enjoy.

Our storm that started yesterday continues today – mostly freezing rain and ice pellets tomorrow.  Well I’m not going anywhere so I’m safe inside.

No exciting news here other than the fact that I discovered when the pharmacy filled my prescription they didn’t give me enough of the pain medication.  Called my pharmacist and he recommended Aleve or Advil and one of my kind neighbours will pick it up for me today.  ♥️   Am I spoiled or what?  I’ll be glad when I can get to the doctor on Tuesday for sure.

I have offers for rides whether it be to the doctor, the hospital etc.

So glad that your dining partner has gotten good treatment by HAL and had their medical covered.  Just goes to show the inconsistency of ships doesn’t it 😉 😠 None of mine was covered.  And to make matters worse I can’t even pull up my final bill on Navigator to attempt to submit claims for the treatment and prove I paid for it on board.  Oh well - it will work out eventually.  Good luck with your move – hope you like your new room.

Prayers for everyone on the care list especially Kathi and Sarah and cheers to all those who have something to celebrate.

Jacqui, the one time that I was treated onboard by the medical center I was given a paper receipt and paperwork for filing insurance. It never showed up on the Navigator app or final statement. This was on the Koningsdam October 2021. 

• Like 4

Good evening. We, we’ll really Craig, started putting away the Christmas decorations. He takes them off the tree and I have to pack them away. 

Tomorrow we are expecting rain for 3 days and much cooler temperatures. The rain will be nice. 

Blue has to wear a T-shirt since he’s hairless but I don’t call it dressing up.  The meal suggestion sounds really good. I’ve never made it myself though. 

Annie @marshhawk, we started having our big meal at lunch time when Craig retired. Breakfast is on our own and we usually just have a snack or leftovers for dinner. 

Joy @Seasick Sailor, enjoy the last segment of your cruise. That’s terrible about your friend getting hurt opening the heavy door. I know I always have trouble with them myself even in the best of weather. 

Have a good evening everyone!

• Like 9

The Junior Cat already has a beautiful fur coat that she wears everywhere, so she is not interested in dressing up.

A restaurant near me sometimes has shepherd's pie on the menu, so I checked, but it wasn't being served today. Roy's alternative would be OK, too, and if I could get a gimlet right now I'd be pleased.

I'm due to visit Cartagena in the fall with the Oosterdam.

The Torah reading this morning in the synagogue was the one that I learned for my bar mitzvah service, xx years ago, and I was recruited to chant it today. (The "voluntold" part took place a week ago, so I had time to practice.) The rabbi also nabbed me to lead a central part of the service, and that was to make a point: he's teaching a practical liturgy class, where members learn to lead parts of the service using traditional forms, and some of them are rather rigid in their approach. He predicted that I would use a 20th-century musical setting, one that no one else here ever uses, and he wanted to show that it's "kosher" to do that. The goal is for people to learn the traditional way but not feel locked into it.

ricochet.jpg.6c9f44035f92260c5da61219468e07af.jpg

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, kazu said:

No exciting news here other than the fact that I discovered when the pharmacy filled my prescription they didn’t give me enough of the pain medication.  Called my pharmacist and he recommended Aleve or Advil

When I was being discharged from the hospital after surgery for a broken arm, a first-year resident was coordinating the discharge. He didn't yet have a narcotics registration, and when we stopped at the pharmacy the order wasn't yet in--he had to get an attending physician to send it. It was ready late that night, right before closing time, and the next day was Thanksgiving Day in the U.S. I happened to have some codeine with acetaminophen left over from dental work, in the equivalent dosage, although it is slower to take effect.

The discharge, btw, went in fits and starts, because the resident was trying to speed it up, while the nurse on my floor was trying to slow it down, because I was supposed to receive one more dose of a medicine administered by IV, and she was determined to keep me there until I had had it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Lady Hudson said:

Good morning all.  Prayers for Sarah, Jacqui, Kathi and all in need of our prayers.  I do not post often but read the Daily just about every day.  My heart breaks for those in need.

Here in SE PA it has turned cold again making walking outside a bit more difficult.  My low carb diet is working somewhat (down 7 lbs) but a change in medication is playing havoc with me.  I think I should have lost more by now!  But I will persevere.

On the cruise front I have booked February 23 for an 8 day on Enchantment of the Seas.  DH Bill, sister Karen and friend Karen going.  This will be sister Karen’s first trip post Covid.  Then sister Karen and I have booked Anthem on March 12 for 7 days.  First time Karen and I have been on a cruise (without spouses) in a long time.  Lots of laughs to follow, I am sure.

Thanks to Rich, Roy and all who post.  I am especially enjoying all the world cruiser blogs.  So much fun to read.  Hope everyone has a great weekend.  Katherine 

You didn't leave a lot of time between those 2 cruises, did you.  I think I've done my last Enchantment cruise since my passport is now out for renewal.  In late April I go to Fort Lauderdale for 3 days on Liberty (their last class I haven't sailed) and then transfer to Vision to bring her up to Baltimore.

Roy

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

You didn't leave a lot of time between those 2 cruises, did you.  I think I've done my last Enchantment cruise since my passport is now out for renewal.  In late April I go to Fort Lauderdale for 3 days on Liberty (their last class I haven't sailed) and then transfer to Vision to bring her up to Baltimore.

Roy

Sounds like a great trip.  I will be glad to see Vision in Baltimore because of her 3 specialty restaurants rather than just Chops on Enchantment.  You will like Liberty.  For us she was the ship we were supposed to take to Bermuda but ended up in Canada thanks to a hurricane.  And the one where I unexpectedly received a glass block.  Katherine 

• Like 4