Yes, they are charging for 2nd lobster tail

ShelleyQT

49 minutes ago, kayehall said:

And they should.................

Why? They are about 4 ounces. A pound of lobster is probably about $12 for X to buy in huge quantities. So for $21 ish with tip, you get another 1/4 of lobster meat that cost them $4 to buy? Never charged us before for a 2nd tail, but they should charge us now for extra small tails?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Accessor said:

Why? They are about 4 ounces. A pound of lobster is probably about $12 for X to buy in huge quantities. So for $21 ish with tip, you get another 1/4 of lobster meat that cost them $4 to buy? Never charged us before for a 2nd tail, but they should charge us now for extra small tails?

Do you know how much lobster tails cost now?  New England lobster isn’t cheap by any means but those are real lobster not the crawfish relative.  Thanks for any info..

Edited by Oville
  • Like 3

the ones served in Luminae on BEYOND recently were minis.. very sweet and tasty but never saw ones that tiny.  At best not a meal.  they may have served 2 on the plate along with something else???

maybe diff restaurants have diff sizes?

the shrimp cocktail ( no upcharge,)  in Luminae was slimy with sauce tasting like ketchup. We tried it in BLU..bigger fresher  firm shrimp and a grest sauce..  Guess it all depends!

we do not plan on paying extra for any dining rm  food orders or rm service..

(other than the extra fee for Fine Cut and or EDEN..hoping  that will be worth it )

9 hours ago, Accessor said:

Yes and who cooks it and serves it to you? Never seen lobster for $12 a pound not even 20 years ago.

Hope they start charging for those that order 2-3 meals...Food Hogs. If it costs Celebrity money it costs me money.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Oville said:

Do you know how much lobster tails cost now?  New England lobster isn’t cheap by any means but those are real lobster not the crawfish relative.  Thanks for any info..

Lobster wholesale bought by cruiselines under contract for thousands of pounds probably $8/pound. Here is article that shows how low it got and these are not retail prices you are referring two. https://www.nationalfisherman.com/steep-lobster-price-fall-represents-a-return-to-normalcy-for-now

So yes, charging us $21 w/tip for a 4 ounce tail is an utter rip off....Carnival is only charging $5 per tail which is still making them a profit...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Accessor said:

Lobster wholesale bought by cruiselines under contract for thousands of pounds probably $8/pound. Here is article that shows how low it got and these are not retail prices you are referring two. https://www.nationalfisherman.com/steep-lobster-price-fall-represents-a-return-to-normalcy-for-now

So yes, charging us $21 w/tip for a 4 ounce tail is an utter rip off....Carnival is only charging $5 per tail which is still making them a profit...

What you are showing is off the boat price no one is buying tails for $8.00 a pound any where and I doubt Celebrity sits dock side buying food. Carnival is a good option for some not me.  

Edited by southernbreezes

12 hours ago, ShelleyQT said:

Luckily for me, hubby was able to order one for me instead.  🙂

You had no issues doing this? That's good to hear, I had the same play my GF isn't a sea food person, but I love Lobster We hoped they would allow her to order her main, with a side of lobster and she can push it over to me. 

I understand the need to both balance cost and food waste, But maybe charging for that 1 extra tail when it's so small isn't the best option. Now if you had to pay for your 3rd or 4th tail, I can understand that. 2 tails, at this size should fit most people, if not, pick one...no harm. But once you get to 3 or 4 I think it might be over kill with everything else you can eat/get on the boat. 

I realize that not everyone is a lobster lover, but I am.   I can see maybe charging for more than two, but more than one?   Come on.  Especially since they are usually so small.

So much for LUXURY cruise line they claim to be. 

• Like 3

Someone posted a youtube that had an interview with someone in charge.  They said the lobster was never intended to be 'all you can eat' which I thought was interesting.  I have never seen anyone order more than one but he was talking about people eating a dozen of them and more.  Anyway, I've always thought the lobster was really not very good, I'm not sure where it comes from but I'm sure, at least in the last, let's say 5 years or so, it's not maine lobster. 

15 minutes ago, rmalbers said:

Someone posted a youtube that had an interview with someone in charge.  They said the lobster was never intended to be 'all you can eat' which I thought was interesting.  I have never seen anyone order more than one but he was talking about people eating a dozen of them and more.  Anyway, I've always thought the lobster was really not very good, I'm not sure where it comes from but I'm sure, at least in the last, let's say 5 years or so, it's not maine lobster. 

We sat next to a couple (different table) on our September Summit cruise and the guy next to us ate four lobsters.  His wife took a picture of him and the empty shells (trophies I guess 😁). We like the lobster but one each is enough for us.  We also split a steak. A little surf n turf. 

Edited by davekathy

19 minutes ago, rmalbers said:

I usually never order a 2nd Lobster or even a second Entree but there has been quite a bit of gluttony.   On "that other site"  someone was boasting that he ordered 8 of them.  This was prior to the surcharge. 

1 minute ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

When RCI made this change, they went from spiny to Maine lobster, anyone know for sure whether X is using Spiny or Maine?

I know that they. like many other lines source what is available.    I was speaking to the Food and Beverage Manager when on the Summit New England / Canada cruise in September.    He was able to source Canadian Lobster for our cruise and indicated he couldn't get New England in the quantity he needed.   They were on the small size much much tastier than the warm water tails.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I know that they. like many other lines source what is available.    I was speaking to the Food and Beverage Manager when on the Summit New England / Canada cruise in September.    He was able to source Canadian Lobster for our cruise and indicated he couldn't get New England in the quantity he needed.   They were on the small size much much tastier than the warm water tails.

Thanks for sharing.  Perhaps RCI, who handles far more pax than X, only recently paved the way to source Maine lobster in large enough.  It would appear if X wanted to source Maine lobster, they would only need to contact RCI's supplier to obtain them

49 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I usually never order a 2nd Lobster or even a second Entree but there has been quite a bit of gluttony.   On "that other site"  someone was boasting that he ordered 8 of them.  This was prior to the surcharge. 

I'm the same as you, normally one is enough for me. I think some people just gorge themselves (my father in law is like that he loves buffets for that reason). But if they never intended for all you can eat with the lobster I get it.

Funny enough I went to a steak house last night and had lobster with my steak, I couldn't even finish the entire plate and it wasn't even large.

• Haha 1

Just now, Lena11033 said:

I'm the same as you, normally one is enough for me. I think some people just gorge themselves (my father in law is like that he loves buffets for that reason). But if they never intended for all you can eat with the lobster I get it.

Funny enough I went to a steak house last night and had lobster with my steak, I couldn't even finish the entire plate and it wasn't even large.

One is enough for me.    On our September cruise, the waiter brought out a second lobster tail for my husband because the tails were so small.   My husband did not ask for it.   He is 6'3" and 172 lbs.   He would have been a little hungry with just one tiny tail.