Should I Sail Solo on Navigator for $1600?

Hello, friends. I am considering sailing solo on the Navigator at the end of September for a 7-night Mexican Riviera cruise out of Los Angeles. For a promenade view interior cabin it’s just under $1600 for one guest. Is this a good deal? I would love to hear your thoughts/recommendations. Thank you so much!

Kind of pricey. IMO. certainly, go if you want, but not a deal. EDIT: And not to be discouraging. September is a nice time to go. It is usually very warm, (as you know) if there are no hurricanes. $1600 is not a huge amount of money, and it will be a nice getaway. So, if you want to go, you should. ☺️We were just on navigator in Sept., and it was HOT. 

Edited by Coralc
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Coralc said:

Kind of pricey. IMO. certainly, go if you want, but not a deal. EDIT: And not to be discouraging. September is a nice time to go. It is usually very warm, (as you know) if there are no hurricanes. $1600 is not a huge amount of money, and it will be a nice getaway. So, if you want to go, you should. ☺️We were just on navigator in Sept., and it was HOT. 

Thanks a lot, Coralc

• Like 1

You may want to consider a Virtual Balcony (Interior).  I found, as a solo on Navigator, that the space was perfect, and having the VB screen made it amazing.  I would imagine that would knock the price down by a few hundred dollars.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CruiseLoverFromNorCal said:

Is this a good deal?

No. Wait for the sailing to make it on the GGG flier about 3 months out. Also, don’t limit your search to solo as you may miss better GTY rates. 

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I travel solo, and I always base my bookings on a daily rate. Your sailing is $228 a day, which is high to me. If it is a newer ship and unique itinerary, I may go above, but my normal budget for any interior is usually under $200 per day. I usually find in the range of about $150.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CruiseLoverFromNorCal said:

Hello, friends. I am considering sailing solo on the Navigator at the end of September for a 7-night Mexican Riviera cruise out of Los Angeles. For a promenade view interior cabin it’s just under $1600 for one guest. Is this a good deal? I would love to hear your thoughts/recommendations. Thank you so much!

Seems kind of high for an interior cabin.  However, if you book, keep an eye for any price drops you can get it adjusted.

Ps 2x points.

• Thanks 1

Unless there is something I don't know, I would book it Dan-O. Prices may not be favorable in the future. Of course, in this case, I'm writing this as a stockholder of a substantial amount of shares.

Note to All: If you book a promenade view interior, please keep the curtain (not only the shade) closed when dressing.

As you know if you want a 7 N Royal Caribbean cruise from California (as you reasonably might given your screen name) you simply do not have as many choices, making it tougher to bargain hunt. It might be best to shake off other people’s success stories of past bargains and concentrate on your current market.  

As cruise prices seem to be on an upward trajectory, I think if you want to take that cruise, go ahead and book it.  You can watch for price drops until final payment.  Though overall prices seem to be trending up, you may catch a price drop.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As someone who sailed solo several times preCovid, I think it's pricey. I did a 7 night Mex Riviera on another line in 2020. I was in a balcony cabin with deluxe beverage package ($483 value at the time) for $1,648 port fees and taxes were $470. So the cruise itself was $1165. That is $166/night. I try to stay under $200 per night as a solo and I prefer balcony cabins or above.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JennyB1977 said:

As someone who sailed solo several times preCovid, I think it's pricey. I did a 7 night Mex Riviera on another line in 2020. I was in a balcony cabin with deluxe beverage package ($483 value at the time) for $1,648 port fees and taxes were $470. So the cruise itself was $1165. That is $166/night. I try to stay under $200 per night as a solo and I prefer balcony cabins or above.

Unfortunately, things have changed since the pre-Covid days.   With inflationary pressures, have you tried pricing the same cruise today.  I sail solo myself and lucky that I've reached the solo supplement tier of 340 and get a reduced fare plus the balcony discount which makes the overall cost acceptable.

Also, I usually book any sails at a minimum 1+ years in advance as I want a reasonable price plus the cabin location.

For example, booked Anthem 8 nights sailing February 2024 and with all of the discounts it cost a total of $1,264.  In addition, booked on board and got $100 in OBC plus applied for a shareholder's benefits of another $100 OBC.

I also have the flexibility to transfer to my TA and get additional benefits.

Edited by nelblu

2 hours ago, Rogueperson said:

Personally, I find a good deal for solo is if you can get it for around $100/night.  So, for a 7 night, if you're paying 700-800, you're good.  1600.  I think is too much for an interior.

Lol I'm out of Galveston and almost no 7 day cruises are in that range. In the $1k range looks good to me any more. I paid closer to 1200 and 1300 for last dec b2b. The boardwalk balcony was higher. And that's before any extra like tips and excursions and food. True we have allure for our 7 days if we want rcl. And it's very nice but dec 2024 harmony is pushing $1500 booked direct. Over $200 a day. Inside balcony, that's not even a ov balcony.  

I too love $100 a day solo, but those rates are disappearing. My other choice is to stay home. 

I often cruise solo. No, not a good deal for an itinerary like that in an interior room.  I've sailed Mediterranean itineraries in a balcony for less than that. If it was me, I would not book that sailing. But, we are different and you might be ok with that price post. Good luck. And, enjoy your cruise if you choose to book it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Checked Cruise Plum for all 7-night Solo September sailings from US ports.  $1600 including grats and taxes is less expensive than any advertised rate for a balcony.  $1600 base fare is 5th least expensive out of 31 sailings.  Cruise Plum doesn't separate out the Promenade views from interiors, so adjust as needed.  If you're sailing in September, grab it.  

Edited by gmerick
clarify balcony / promenade
  • Thanks 2

I'm a solo sailor at times as well. Honestly, I would not pay that much for a 7-day cruise. Maybe something like a transatlantic would be the exception, but otherwise, no. Especially since it's not an OV balcony. (But as mentioned above, no judgement here, if it works for you that's all that matters) As much as I enjoy Royal Caribbean, they are becoming too expensive for me when I go without my DH. I've been looking elsewhere to get my solo fix.

• Thanks 1

Prices vary among ports, sometimes ways that are different to predict.  So Floridians (as an example and to include myself) pricing experience at their many busy ports has little to do with pricing from the California ports. If you want to take the cruise, you’ll need to decide if you think it is worth it to you personally or not.

One of the other posters mentioned guarantee rates.  There are pitfalls with gty bookings; they certainly are not for everyone.  That said if you are a flexible person and if you think between now and September you might invite a friend to join you, you might consider booking a double inside gty.  It would probably be a bit cheaper.  You can put the name of any likely friend/relative for now and change it or drop it much later.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

but Harmony is a much better and newer ship than Navigator. Isn't it?

Of course. I think I said Galveston has nice ships doing 7 days, but few choices near that $100 a day.  

I cant book carnival jubilee under about $1300 on the cheapest date inside cabin. 

Nice ships you bet. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Lol I'm out of Galveston and almost no 7 day cruises are in that range. In the $1k range looks good to me any more. I paid closer to 1200 and 1300 for last dec b2b. The boardwalk balcony was higher. And that's before any extra like tips and excursions and food. True we have allure for our 7 days if we want rcl. And it's very nice but dec 2024 harmony is pushing $1500 booked direct. Over $200 a day. Inside balcony, that's not even a ov balcony.  

I too love $100 a day solo, but those rates are disappearing. My other choice is to stay home. 

Fortunately for me, I usually have a cruise partner in my wife.  My first two solos were both primarily for points in 2017 and 2018.  It was jumpstarting me to diamond.  I took 2 9 night cruises from Baltimore, 1K each.  Amazing price.  The last two solos were also amazingly price in 21 with the double points promo.  They had dropped solo supplements for cruises so i did a 3 and 4 night cruise for 300 each and those were from Port Canaveral and Tampa.