The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday January 20th, 2023

rafinmd

Good morning all,

Thank you Roy @rafinmdfor including Patricia on the care list and thank you all for praying.  I haven't heard any more news since last night when her Dad said the doctors will try 3 things to bring her out of her coma, but he feels they're just going through protocol.  Very bad situation and so sad.  Thank you too for mentioning DH's last treatment coming up.  He (and I) will be so glad when it's over.  The accumulation is really wearing on him, and he's looking forward to feeling better again.

One bright spot in my day yesterday was that DD, DSIL and the grandsons arrived safely in Phuket and are having a good time.  It was a 21-hour trip for them with only a 5-hour rest at a Bangkok airport hotel.  

I like most cheeses and buttercrunch, but the only penguins I've seen are in the zoo.  Love the quote, it reminds me of any 2-year-old we've had in the family.  I love all Marlborough wines so most likely would like this one a lot, the drink sounds good, but will pass on the Tofu.  We've been to Puerto Vallarta once on the old Statendam in 2015. We took a walking tour and cooking class (3-courses and margaritas included), it was a good day.   My photos would be like those already posted, but will share one of a tree I found interesting.

Annie @marshhawkcongrats on the $1500 sale!  I join others in hoping Neko doesn't have a tumor.  Too bad about the new rule not allowing owners in the exam rooms, I wouldn't like that at all.  I agree with the others' advice about the MDR.  We always go to the Lido for breakfast because the hours are better for us.  Also I love the Lido omelets.  If we have to get up early for an excursion we get room service, and generally we aren't up and going early enough to make it to the MDR.  I think the hours are something like 7:30-9:30. The last few cruises we've booked specialty restaurants for the first night -- as others have said, the MDR that night can be chaotic. My favorites on BHBs are prime rib and duck dishes.

Vanessa @JazzyVI know what you mean about those veins and stopping all fluids 😞  I wondered when you said your appointment isn't until afternoon, that's a long time to go without food or fluids.  Thinking good thoughts for you!

@Colorado KlutchWelcome to the Daily, we hope to hear more from you.

Puerto Vallarta tree

tree.thumb.jpg.345deeb31135ed4c237ec12d03898bee.jpg

• Like 24

1 hour ago, durangoscots said:

Good morning. A bit warmer here today.... 16F when we walked. But it is cloudy and a few snow flakes are drifting down. Our local guru says 2-4 inches... hoping he is wrong and there is less but only time will tell. High will only be in the mid-20's.

I will skip the tofu ... I have nothing against it but it does not like me. Have been to PV a couple of times and enjoyed it very much. I can eat cheese anytime.

Keeping all who need them in my prayers - both people and critters. My problems seem small in comparison. Off to follow along with some cruises and then continue to work on sorting the mess in my living room. Made the mistake of opening some drawers. Where did all this stuff come from?

Susan

Susan, sometimes it's a mistake to open a draw that you haven't opened in a long time.  🤣  Maybe that's why some drawers are called junk drawers.  😉

1 hour ago, GeorgeCharlie said:

Last month we were very fortunate to be able to appreciate penguins in their natural habitat. 

Firstly, that it was a nice day, so we able to get ashore in the Falkland Islands – which is normally an achievement in itself!

And secondly, that we were able to use Falklands Helicopter Services to easily get out and see the penguins. 

This meant, rather than spending 2 plus hours getting to Volunteer Point in a 4x4 vehicle, the trip by helicopter was about 20 minutes.

King Penguin nesting site at Volunteer Point.

image.jpeg.1ff6edf4e4a7a1509db5efc06949cb68.jpeg

King Penguin chick still in it's winter coat.

image.jpeg.3d83098436940522548e88eb5f88d2e9.jpeg

Then, seeing we still had lots of time, we were also able to fly out and visit a colony of Rockhopper penguins.

image.jpeg.c7063c4af761a5e44257075727afedec.jpeg

Rockhopper - "The penguin with an attitude".

image.jpeg.6b36054462775508376bafb2514a64fb.jpeg

By the way - the cost to fly out to Volunteer Point, was the same as what the ship charged to go by 4x4!!

Thanks for the pictures of the penguins.  We've never made it out to see the king penguins and the rock hoppers.  Did you book the helicopter on your own before you left or on the pier?

28 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Lenda thanks for the recipe tips.I will try that one tonight and just happen to have the 4 cheese blend here.And there is sour cream!

Terry, I'm glad my hints could help.  Once you have everything chopped, diced and prepped, it is an easy dish to make.

27 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, Dailyites!  Thanks Roy, for doing double duty these days, with Rich cruising around the world, and also thanks to everyone, every day, for all the interesting, though sometimes sad, news.  Patricia, Tana, Jacqui, Ukraine, even Neko, so many prayer-worthy subjects.  

I do have a few words to add about PV, as we were just there a week ago and also the week before!  There is a new cruise terminal, which is just horrendous.  You have to walk for miles through little shops and kiosks of tourist junk, then, just when you think you have reached the end and can head for the ship, you come to a new section of "duty free" goods, and have to walk another mile or so through alcohol and perfume, like an airport duty free.  Then, when you finally get outside you're miles away from the ships, and have to wait for an open air trolley to take you to the ship, with hundreds of others from other ships also waiting.  Then a single  trolley comes by that takes 8 people at a time....  The second time we were there, I stayed on the ship.   (I may be exaggerating a bit on the mileage, it just seemed that way!😁)  Pat said on the second visit, when they had a private tour, they were able to by-pass the terminal, so definitely try to do that.  On the HAL tour we took on the first leg, the guide said he "had to" take us to the terminal.

@marshhawk, Annie, through my investigation, breakfast in the Lido is tops - at least for pancakes.  The pancakes in CO and the MDR may be more beautifully presented, but in the Lido they are made fresh right in front  of you, and the same goes for other breakfast items, like eggs, etc.,  Also, the MDR staff does not all seem to be fully trained or forgetful, and often don't bring around pastries, etc., whereas in the Lido you can see everything set out and pick whatever you want!  We had CO on the NA, and agree, it's not worth it.  If there were a dedicated area in the MDR, it would, but you have to sit in the crowded general seating, and that is where we got Covid, I'm sure.  Try to organize something in the upper level of the MDR.  I think that may be fixed seating, but, perhaps you can just pop in and see if you can get a table.  One couple we sat with for dinner one evening said that is what they did on occasion.  

BTW, congrats on that $1,500 sale!

Oh, and PS, we usually book Tamarind for the first night.  the MDR is chaos!

Ann, I remember the long walk in the PV terminal from the Koningsdam cruises.  I learned which turns not to take as they lengthened the walk.  You can certainly get your daily walk in just walking through the terminal to leave and to come back. 

In 2020, you had to go through the terminal and along the road to get to the local market in the port area.  At least, they had made a walkway from the gates of the dock to the market by 2021.  It looked like the new terminal had hurt the market and some of the businesses across the streets.  I liked it when the ship docked at the No. 3 dock, and we could use that gate.  It was also closer and easier to walk to W-M.

@marshhawk  I forgot to congratulate you on the big sale earlier.  Hope you find more people with deep pockets.

Lenda

• Like 17

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

I'm nothing by mouth for my test this afternoon, and of course I'm thirsty! And not being able to drink will make my already bad veins even harder to find for my bloodwork and my test. 

I feel for you.  😔 I hope they get the vein right the first time 🙏 

I have the same problem - my left arm is so bruised from the IV on both sides that my Ortho surgeon thought I fell on it too and wanted to check it out.  I told him, no - that’s from the different IV’s and attempts.

• Like 13

3 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from a cold (for us, chilly for those in the north, and balmy for those in or near the frozen tundra) central Texas.  It is partly sunny, 40F, and fortunately with no wind.  Our predicted high is supposed to be 56F.  It could be worse.

I think DH has had buttercrunch, but I'll pass.  We both like cheese, but sorry Graham @grapau27 but not Stilton.  Penguins are interesting birds and deserve our help with their environment.

I think Jerry Seinfeld nailed having at two year old.  I always said having dogs was like having a two year old, but without the whining when it was time to go back inside.

We'll pass on the meal, drink and wine today.  I still don't know what we'll be having tonight.

We have been to Puerto Vallarta more times than I can remember, and eight times since January 2020.  I'll look for the pictures I posted last October.  

@smitty34877  Terry, I made the Mexican beef and rice dish last night and it was a hit.  I made the last one on Debbie's @dfish list, but with a couple of changes.  I wanted one that cooked the rice in the dish, and that one along with the first one did that.  Yesterday, I could not find the packaged taco seasoning at the store, and forgot to look in the Mexican food section.  I found a taco seasoning recipe on All Recipes, and it worked well.  To get the 1.25 ounces of seasoning, I doubled the recipe.  In addition to the Rotel, I added a small can of diced green chilis, both undrained.  Since the seasoning used quite a bit of salt, I omitted the salt in the recipe and the fresh cilantro.  Also, I went with a four cheese Mexican blend for the topping.  I knew there would be leftovers, so we added sour cream to our servings, and it helped tame the red pepper flakes for me.  We had the avocado on the side and omitted the diced tomato.  I'm still trying to figure out a vegetarian version without using tofu.  Two things I noticed.  It took a little longer for the cheese to melt, and like lasagna, it needs to rest a bit before serving. 

@ottahand7  Thank you for your pictures from La Serena.

@mamaofami  Carol, I'm sorry your wonderful doctor is moving too far away for monthly drives.

@smitty34877  Terry, that is good news that DSIL cleaned the alarms, and they were all quiet last night.

@aliaschief  Bruce, happy you got a good report from the cardiologist.

@Colorado Klutch  Welcome to the Fleet/Daily, which is a very friendly, supportive place.  I hope we see you often.  Yes, I also think the BHBs are beautiful.

@Mr. Boston  I'm glad your boss was happy with your retirement announcement.

@marshhawk  Annie, I hope Neko does not have a tumor, and that the meds help.  I think I followed what you were saying about the bosses, but I don't see how anyone keeps things straight with that system.  We do anytime dining, and often book a specialty restaurant on embarkation night to avoid the usual hassles.  On the Koningsdam last spring, while we had open seating, they gave us a fixed table at 6pm which worked well.  We are almost never up when the MDR is open for breakfast, and the lido works well for breakfast.  There are a lot of choices in the Lido, too, just no fresh squeezed orange juice.

We're still keeping Patricia, Jacqui, Sarah, Tana, and Kathi in our thoughts.

Lenda

I am allergic to Penicillin so never eat blue cheese.

Cheddar cheese and Red Leicester cheese are my preference.

This was my cheese plate in Epicurean Speciality restaurant on P&O Azura in November.

IMG_20221119_193842.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 17

2 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Good morning!  Penguin Awareness Day?

We were quite surprised this past December to see these  cuties in the lobby of the Hyatt Regency in Maui.  

Black-footed African penguins

D485C7D4-16A3-4713-B980-2B2B367A2D2E.thumb.jpeg.bc5d7119dddea35095eb8d0b8cdc7deb.jpeg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_penguin

In 2007 when we stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village, they had a penguin habitat.  I think it might also have been black footed African penguins.  They sure look the same.

IMG_1081.thumb.JPG.4cd150e3f50389d4bbbb3423c18b9ed1.JPG

5 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all,

Thank you Roy @rafinmdfor including Patricia on the care list and thank you all for praying.  I haven't heard any more news since last night when her Dad said the doctors will try 3 things to bring her out of her coma, but he feels they're just going through protocol.  Very bad situation and so sad.  Thank you too for mentioning DH's last treatment coming up.  He (and I) will be so glad when it's over.  The accumulation is really wearing on him, and he's looking forward to feeling better again.

One bright spot in my day yesterday was that DD, DSIL and the grandsons arrived safely in Phuket and are having a good time.  It was a 21-hour trip for them with only a 5-hour rest at a Bangkok airport hotel.  

I like most cheeses and buttercrunch, but the only penguins I've seen are in the zoo.  Love the quote, it reminds me of any 2-year-old we've had in the family.  I love all Marlborough wines so most likely would like this one a lot, the drink sounds good, but will pass on the Tofu.  We've been to Puerto Vallarta once on the old Statendam in 2015. We took a walking tour and cooking class (3-courses and margaritas included), it was a good day.   My photos would be like those already posted, but will share one of a tree I found interesting.

Annie @marshhawkcongrats on the $1500 sale!  I join others in hoping Neko doesn't have a tumor.  Too bad about the new rule not allowing owners in the exam rooms, I wouldn't like that at all.  I agree with the others' advice about the MDR.  We always go to the Lido for breakfast because the hours are better for us.  Also I love the Lido omelets.  If we have to get up early for an excursion we get room service, and generally we aren't up and going early enough to make it to the MDR.  I think the hours are something like 7:30-9:30. The last few cruises we've booked specialty restaurants for the first night -- as others have said, the MDR that night can be chaotic. My favorites on BHBs are prime rib and duck dishes.

Vanessa @JazzyVI know what you mean about those veins and stopping all fluids 😞  I wondered when you said your appointment isn't until afternoon, that's a long time to go without food or fluids.  Thinking good thoughts for you!

@Colorado KlutchWelcome to the Daily, we hope to hear more from you.

Puerto Vallarta tree

tree.thumb.jpg.345deeb31135ed4c237ec12d03898bee.jpg

Carolyn, Patricia's condition does not sound good, but I hope they can bring her out of the coma, and I also hope the damage is not as serious as it looks on the MRI.  It's a truly said situation for the entire family, but especially her kids.  I hope it doesn't take to long for your DH to begin feeling better after the last treatment Tuesday.  I wonder if we were on the Statendam PC cruise in 2015 at the same time.  We were on her from January 14 through 29 as an easy way to get from the west coast to Ft. Lauderdale for another cruise.

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

I have the same problem - my left arm is so bruised from the IV on both sides that my Ortho surgeon thought I fell on it too and wanted to check it out.  I told him, no - that’s from the different IV’s and attempts.

Jacqui, I can only imagine what your arm looks like.  After two surgeries, the procedure to remove the embolism, an ER visit with all their blood tests and iv's and five weeks in rehab with periodic blood tests, both DH's arms and hands were more bruises than normal skin.  Being on blood thinners after the embolism didn't help either.  I thought about getting a t-shirt that said "I didn't do that".

3 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I am allergic to Penicillin so never eat blue cheese.

Cheddar cheese and Red Leicester cheese are my preference.

This was my cheese plate in Epicurean Speciality restaurant on P&O Azura in November.

IMG_20221119_193842.jpg

Graham, when we were on Oriana, one tablemate had Stilton every night.  It was never on the cheese tray they brought around, but the wheel was on it's own tray with aluminum foil covering most of it.  When the waiters presented the wheel to him, whoever was sitting next to him leaned as far away as possible to try to avoid the pungent smell of the cheese.  That was enough to keep the rest of us, including his wife, from even thinking about trying it.

Lenda

• Like 14
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, kochleffel said:

I'm usually interested in tofu recipes, but this dish seems to come from Sichuan, which makes me wary--much Sichuan cooking is way too hot for my taste. Dinner tonight will probably be vegan sausage, sweet potato, and "baby broccoli," which I think Graham might recognize as "sprouting broccoli," as it was listed in the Thompson & Morgan catalogue.

Teams at Youngstown State University in Ohio are known as the Penguins, from an away game during severe weather in 1933. No other Division I team uses the name Penguins. I wonder why not.

2004118305_Penguinsdontfly.thumb.gif.7564f7d1a015b616461ee694ff00812e.gif

We call in Tenderstem broccoli.

Graham 

Screenshot_20230120_183311.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

We have visited Puerto Vallarta at least 14 times on several cruise lines but mostly on BHBs.  I have tried to find pictures that are different, but there is at least one repeat.

I'll start with pictures of the Malecon

DSC00916.thumb.JPG.bc29ca7af7006c71d259bf87e4129b79.JPG

DSC00917.thumb.JPG.310bf24cdea6eb3bf2ba2e428e3e5f57.JPGDSC08577.thumb.JPG.c62968ff47960c4b50b3f1e4035e2398.JPG

Los Arcos at the end of the Malecon

DSC00926.thumb.JPG.eadb25ec46ff0e60aac2096da3adc4b2.JPG

The end of the Malecon on the land side

DSC08587.thumb.JPG.fa0c3cc555d2476eba2f137a3c14dd60.JPG

And of course these guys

DSC00930.thumb.JPG.c9af252bfc685083c60ef81a741d0f63.JPG

Statues on the Malecon

DSC01818.thumb.JPG.62695a966db12cb17f745e2d5c65356f.JPG

Some sand carvings on the beach.  All that work, and it gets washed away at high tide.

DSC08578.thumb.JPG.326d964c1d8fef456d55286e0381590f.JPG

DSC08580.thumb.JPG.edf93034e5d16492a2240d2aad223522.JPG

The small market area near the pier.

DSC09027.thumb.JPG.8313c6c20728cea3f8d718ce8650c85d.JPG

DSC09028.thumb.JPG.1c1242368c5ceeb7e178fbc798b736ab.JPG

The area around dock 3 and the gate where it is easy to reach Wal-Mart and the mall.
DSC09552.thumb.JPG.ba766bc9f61783005740b4a04de2c16b.JPG

A small bull ring across from the gate by dock 3

DSC09554.thumb.JPG.fceef52d1e0cc586dbe13102d14c882d.JPG

The Mall

20220317_151041.thumb.jpg.341168ac28a0795d0d427767a42bffd3.jpg

Looking across from dock 3 to dock 1 and the new cruise terminal in the day time and at night.

20220317_190137_HDR.thumb.jpg.c694147f2c79b1a155810c8bbd994845.jpg

20220317_194826_HDR.thumb.jpg.baaec0c6b1c3d6cc4d5e67aa498e46e8.jpg

Lenda

Looks like a good port.

Thank you for posting your lovely photos Lenda.

Graham.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Carolyn, Patricia's condition does not sound good, but I hope they can bring her out of the coma, and I also hope the damage is not as serious as it looks on the MRI.  It's a truly said situation for the entire family, but especially her kids.  I hope it doesn't take to long for your DH to begin feeling better after the last treatment Tuesday.  I wonder if we were on the Statendam PC cruise in 2015 at the same time.  We were on her from January 14 through 29 as an easy way to get from the west coast to Ft. Lauderdale for another cruise.

Thank you for your comments, Lenda.  Hoping for better news too.  I can't imagine what the immediate family is going through.  

I guess we just missed each other on the Statendam!  We were on a South America cruise in April so just 2 months after you.

• Like 12

3 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

0Good morning Fellow Daily-ites!

We joined our MDR neighbors in Canelletto last night and the food was delicious! Special request for osso bucco..

A beautiful day in Barbados today! Another clipper passed us as we were docking. Look Graham!  One of your favorite cruise lines are our neighbors!

0120230636_HDR.thumb.jpg.33560e7bfb73f5a0296986791cfed191.jpg

0120230635_HDR.thumb.jpg.477fac425bc54b90117d888d6e181c72.jpg

It's crazy busy again in the port.

We were waitlisted and never got the tour, so Allen wanted to stay at Sea View Pool and have coffee.

I was able to catch a bus into the terminal in a minute, cabbed it downtown ($3) but not realizing I could have walked it in 15 minutes.

I bought several adorable outfits for our baby great nephew, and some trinkets for friends. 

I walked back to the cruise terminal and got a "private" ride back to the ship and a mini tour from my bus driver. 

So, I spoke to one of the officers regarding the Sea View Pool with kids swimming in it. One sign says kids under 16 require adult supervision and another says no kids under 18. The kids have water wings and noodles. We were told they "discourage" kids but don't kick them out if they are in the pool with a parent.. So far there are no screamers!

Prayers sent for our friends on the prayer list. Hoping the list starts shrinking. I started with the cruise hack yesterday. Every cough is sounding the same it seems!

Have a great day. Be kind.

Thank you Joy.

That is the newest ship Arvia due to start her 3rd cruise.

Graham.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Happy Friday.  If you are near penguins and not aware of it, it's time for a covid test.  I'll mostly pass on the butterscotch  but love cheese.  I may go with Chicken Parmesan tonight.  The Seinfeld quote is interesting.  I've been to Puerto Vallarta a few times, I think only on Crystal but it does have some painful memories for some Dailyites.  I'll pass on the Tofu.  My alternative is Classic Caesar Salad, Broiled New York Striploin and Cherry Streusel Tart as served on MS Prinsendam January 20, 2019.

dishes20.jpg

Today’s care list:

RIP David Crosby
Kazu in cast until about 2/8
Cruising-along 2nd cousin in ICU at only 40
Grahaam’s Sarah waiting on needed injection
Scrapnana starting over on treatment
From the rotation:
Rowsby in need of shoulder replacement
Marshhawk DH eye issues.
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)
Ominous scan for Marshhawk

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

2 days for Heartgrove (Carnival Legend 1/22 to 1/29)
cruszn single in Hawaii until 1/31
Good Cardiology report for Aliaschief
4 days to last treatment for Cruising-Along DH
Seasick Sailor and ger_77 (Rotterdam  to 1/25), DeeniEncinetas, and sailingdutchty   (Koningsdam  to 1/31),  lindaler and ottahand7(Volendam  to 3/18), and Cat in My Lap, Gail&Marty,richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam  to 5/12) at sea

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy.

Graham.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Friends, I have HAL questions...and of course it's about food.

Is the MDR open every day for breakfast?  Do you prefer the Lido buffet?  When is the MDR open for lunch?  (that may be a dumb question, but I dont know)  Would you book a specialty restaurant on embarkation day?  What is your favorite meal on a HAL ship?

Inquiring tummies want to know.

On embarkation day I always book the Tamarind (if on the ship) or the PG if not. PG has not been that good lately IMO. But traveling solo I do not like the Chaos in the MDR on the first night. I may switch to Canaletto as alternate to the PG on those ships that do not have the Tamarind.  Always book the Tamarind on the last night as well - more calm.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We call in Tenderstem broccoli.

Graham 

Screenshot_20230120_183311.jpg

Yes, that's it. Over here, Broccolini is a trademarked name for it. At least one seed company calls it Aspabroc, as if to imply that it's like asparagus, which it isn't.

• Like 13

5 minutes ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

But traveling solo I do not like the Chaos in the MDR on the first night.

It seems to be the same on every cruise ship with open seating. I think that the embarkation sequence puts everyone on the same schedule, plus fewer passengers have booked specialty dining for the first night or made entertainment plans. For my cruise next month on NCL I've booked the Italian restaurant.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Same experience here. My left arm was the one that was broken and I had an IV in the right arm, and because of some unexpected test results, they seemed to want blood draws about eleven times a day. At one point I thought they were going to try to draw blood from my neck, the way the v-e-t does with cats.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

All good days. I like buttercrunch, cheese and penguins! Cute quote. I'll pass on anything tofu, the drink and the wine.

I was in Puerto Vallarta on my PC cruise from LA to NY.

It mid-30's here with snow showers off and on. There was rain with thunder and lightning, last night; unusual for January. I'm nothing by mouth for my test this afternoon, and of course I'm thirsty! And not being able to drink will make my already bad veins even harder to find for my bloodwork and my test. 

@Cruising-along I am so sorry to hear Patricia's condition and prognosis. Prayers for her and the family.

@ottahand7 Thanks for the La Serena photos from your cruise.

@mamaofami I hope the thermostat is fixed, and that you find a good new pain doctor.

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for the link and your photos from PV.

@GTVCRUISER Nice photos.

@Colorado Klutch Welcome to the Daily!

@marshhawk I hope Neko is ok and it's only an infection. Congrats on the big sale! 

@kazu I hope your arm pain is tolerable. 

@Quartzsite Cruiser Great photos. 

@GeorgeCharlie Love the penguin photos.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay well everyone.

Some photos from Puerto Vallarta aboard NCL Bliss in 2019.

Coming into the port

266018519_002-11.7.19PortinPuertoVallartaMexico.thumb.jpg.f72bbe523a6f647fc80514d4711c103d.jpg

1535820143_003-11.7.19MexicanFlaginPuertoVallartaMexico.thumb.jpg.80d01775f8ea8f2f8e645ef57dee509d.jpg

Day of the Dead decorations along the Malecon (boardwalk)

430451307_005-11.7.19DayoftheDeaddecorationsalongtheBoardwalk(Malecon)PuertoVallarta.thumb.jpg.f9850bec45eb94fb57dd8c70897c1bc3.jpg

766714781_007-11.7.19DayoftheDeaddecorationsalongtheBoardwalk(Malecon)PuertoVallarta.thumb.jpg.8aa38ebc5169ce19083fb2c006ba70b9.jpg

Triton and Mermaid Statue

937556109_010-11.7.19TritonandMermaidstatueontheBoardwalk(Malecon)PuertoVallarta.thumb.jpg.2e352d9e307f9a4350305615f64be94c.jpg

The Boy on the Seahorse

1304849406_012-11.7.19TheBoyontheSeahorsestatueontheBoardwalk(Malecon)PuertoVallarta.thumb.jpg.76d11b762ba91ef67da181b349588ad3.jpg

Church of Our Lady of Guadalupe

659601048_013-11.7.19ChurchofOurLadyofGuadalupePuertoVallarta.thumb.jpg.763957d3a7c1825fb53876eebdd06335.jpg

2026336872_015-11.7.19ChurchofOurLadyofGuadalupePuertoVallarta.thumb.jpg.ee2004b9bec5adedecc328734505c51f.jpg

1295649165_016-11.7.19ChurchofOurLadyofGuadalupePuertoVallarta.thumb.jpg.bb369c619de86555cb5036a0f04eb9ac.jpg

Dona Engracia Tequila Factory

747278602_024-11.7.19ManfredattheDonaEngraciaTequilaFactoryPuertoVallarta.thumb.jpg.c98517cbc55df09118eff5115fed9eab.jpg

400625856_027-11.7.19GroundsoftheDonaEngraciaTequilaFactoryPuertoVallarta.thumb.jpg.5f91832d62cca7fef9cef2b7b82f6043.jpg

NCL Bliss in Puerto Vallarta

721107626_030-11.7.19NCLBlissdockedPuertoVallarta(MB).thumb.jpg.6a1d0a26f981b5c62c77d9a7692c109e.jpg

Nice photos Vanessa.

• Like 6

My new can opener arrived! I am anxious to try it but I don’t need to open anything. I agree with the quote of the day as I am currently watching my 2 yo granddaughter today due to day care mixup. 

to @Cruising-alongI know how hard it is to watch your DH suffer with his treatments. Just when it seems to much he will start turning around. Make sure to take care of yourself. Cancer is a journey with many twists and turns. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

0Good morning Fellow Daily-ites!

We joined our MDR neighbors in Canelletto last night and the food was delicious! Special request for osso bucco..

A beautiful day in Barbados today! Another clipper passed us as we were docking. Look Graham!  One of your favorite cruise lines are our neighbors!

0120230636_HDR.thumb.jpg.33560e7bfb73f5a0296986791cfed191.jpg

0120230635_HDR.thumb.jpg.477fac425bc54b90117d888d6e181c72.jpg

It's crazy busy again in the port.

We were waitlisted and never got the tour, so Allen wanted to stay at Sea View Pool and have coffee.

I was able to catch a bus into the terminal in a minute, cabbed it downtown ($3) but not realizing I could have walked it in 15 minutes.

I bought several adorable outfits for our baby great nephew, and some trinkets for friends. 

I walked back to the cruise terminal and got a "private" ride back to the ship and a mini tour from my bus driver. 

So, I spoke to one of the officers regarding the Sea View Pool with kids swimming in it. One sign says kids under 16 require adult supervision and another says no kids under 18. The kids have water wings and noodles. We were told they "discourage" kids but don't kick them out if they are in the pool with a parent.. So far there are no screamers!

Prayers sent for our friends on the prayer list. Hoping the list starts shrinking. I started with the cruise hack yesterday. Every cough is sounding the same it seems!

Have a great day. Be kind.

I hope your cough goes away quickly Joy.

Graham.

Screenshot_20221224_110439.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I was surprised to see mapo tofu as the food suggestion today.  Was thinking that we may be the only couple on the daily that knows what it is, knows how to make it, and enjoy eating it.

This morning I took @57redbirdadvice and donated my boot to the kc help program in Bremerton.  Apparently they are all over the country and often pair with a Salvation Army thrift store to supply free medical supplies like wheel chairs, crutches, etc. to those who need them and cannot afford to buy them.  They were happy to receive it and I was happy not to have to look at it.  

Ray

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Thanks for the pictures of the penguins.  We've never made it out to see the king penguins and the rock hoppers.  Did you book the helicopter on your own before you left or on the pier?

Lenda

We booked about a year in advance, as their service capacity is very limited. Max 3 people per trip and number of trips they can make depends on how long the ship is in port. We were there from 8am - 6pm and I understand they made 3 trips to Volunteer point and 3 trips to see Rockhoppers, which I understand is about the max they can currently do.

I know some people on HAL's Grand SA cruise tried to book many months ago for their Feb 06th visit to Stanley and were unable to.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Good evening all. I'm back home. The GI lab called about 12:25 and said they had a cancellation, could I be there at 1 instead of 2:15; I told them I'd try, but my ride had to travel to my house then to their office. BFF and I got there about 1:15. The nurse anesthetist got the IV in on the 2nd stick, so not too bad. The procedure was fine, although the propofol burned like crazy going into that tiny vein he got. Results look ok, so they think it's "functional", sort of like irritable bowel, but of the upper GI tract. I'll see what is the recommended treatment when I see my GI PA next month. I drank some water post procedure and decided to go next door to the lab, where they got me on the first stick! Yay.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, cruising sister said:

My new can opener arrived! I am anxious to try it but I don’t need to open anything. I agree with the quote of the day as I am currently watching my 2 yo granddaughter today due to day care mixup. 

to @Cruising-alongI know how hard it is to watch your DH suffer with his treatments. Just when it seems to much he will start turning around. Make sure to take care of yourself. Cancer is a journey with many twists and turns. 

Thank you so much for your kind comments.  I do want to say though that he's one of the "lucky" ones, (if there is such a thing).  As his doctor told me when he was first diagnosed, his bladder cancer is highly controllable and more of a "nuisance" (his words).  In other words, he goes for 3-month checks and they remove any polyps they find then.  As long as they stay within the bladder walls it's easily controlled.  He was diagnosed at least 12 years ago and has faithfully gone for his checks.  This treatment is preventive in the hope he can go longer than a few months with new polyps appearing, so his doctor suggested it.  We're thankful he isn't on a long-term chemo program and this was only once/week for 6 weeks.  My sister had cancer so I'm sadly all too aware of how ravaging the disease and regular chemo treatments can be.

Let us know how you like your new can opener and have fun with your granddaughter 🙂  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

I hope your cough goes away quickly Joy.

Graham.

Screenshot_20221224_110439.jpg

Thank you Graham. Seems like my cough wants to stick around for awhile.. 

I talked with a couple on Arvia today. They said the ship, food, crew, activities, excursions are absolutely top notch. They have not heard one uttered complaint. I hope you and your bride Pauline sail on her soon.

Joy

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good evening all. I'm back home. The GI lab called about 12:25 and said they had a cancellation, could I be there at 1 instead of 2:15; I told them I'd try, but my ride had to travel to my house then to their office. BFF and I got there about 1:15. The nurse anesthetist got the IV in on the 2nd stick, so not too bad. The procedure was fine, although the propofol burned like crazy going into that tiny vein he got. Results look ok, so they think it's "functional", sort of like irritable bowel, but of the upper GI tract. I'll see what is the recommended treatment when I see my GI PA next month. I drank some water post procedure and decided to go next door to the lab, where they got me on the first stick! Yay.

I'm happy things went well for you!   I dropped off my spit samples today and had blood drawn for another test.  Do they ever end?   Also have an appointment with the surgeon concerning the parathyroid issue and the adrenal mass.  Cha Ching.

• Like 9