The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday February 3rd, 2023

StLouisCruisers

@HAL SailerI am sorry that your DSIL (who seemed to be the glue that held that side of the family together) has passed away.  I know you all expected it after her last bad turn, but as you and others have said, it is still hard.  She was the memory in the family, when your DH didn't remember.  I know you will miss her.

Today seems to be a day when things are not going well for so many of our loved ones.  Prayers for Sarah and Tana.  

We just got back from the vets, and it doesn't look good for Neko.  The antibiotics and steroids brought down the swelling near the tooth, but the growth on her lip and behind the tooth has not gone down.  She has lost more weight, and she appears to be much needier with attention. (not wanting to be alone).  We were told again that we could run the test for cancer, she will have to sedate her, and take a biopsy, or we can try again with another round of antibiotics and steroids,  and see if that makes any difference, either way we will have to think about having her put down.  She is 17 years old, which brings us to Irving, my little honey bear, the other 17 year old that has does have dementia, thinks he is a tiger, screams if you dont feed him from your plate, and has been losing weight like crazy, but eats like a machine.

Hugs to you all, stay warm!  If you can, and celebrate wear a second sweater on top of yesterdays sweater day. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 13

1 hour ago, HAL Sailer said:

We woke to the news that DSIL passed very early this morning. My DH said about his only remaining sibling, "I'm not surprised, but I wasn't ready to hear it."

After so many health challenges, my DSIL is blessedly now at peace. Thank you all for your continued prayers over these past months,

-Melisa

I am sorry. I know she was probably ready to go and it was expected. But it is never, ever easy.

Susan

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

From my pastor:

Just spoke to Roy and he asked me to do a group email report!
He's been out to the grocery store today and plans to stay for the rest of today and tomorrow due to the bitter cold.
Roy's voice sounds clearer to me today, though he reports shortness of breath continuing through yesterday and the night.
We discussed the possibility of Roy setting up some kind of regular check-in by phone text or email everyday that would allow those on this distribution to get an update on his well being and progress. 
Ideally, those with legal and familial authority would take the lead with Roy agree on a pattern of notices to others, to include ones who can provide support because of our proximity.
I know we are all glad to hear of his determination to regain strength and his compliance with doctor's orders for followup and treatment!
Grateful for this 'village'!
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 27

We woke to the news that DSIL passed very early this morning. My DH said about his only remaining sibling, "I'm not surprised, but I wasn't ready to hear it."

After so many health challenges, my DSIL is blessedly now at peace. Thank you all for your continued prayers over these past months,

-Melisa

Melisa and DH, I am so sorry for the loss of DSIL and “is blessedly now at peace”. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good cold and sunny morning. It’s currently warmer in Juneau and Anchorage than it is here. Today is a great day to stay in and cuddle with the kids. Tux tries  to be a cool kitty and crawl in the refrigerator. TT doesn’t like sharing his food and puts his front paws in the plate and growls. 
  Dinner tonight will be a pork loin and buttered noodles. I’d love a pina colada . 
@Lady Hudson, Wegmans in Downingtown? Do you go to September Farms at all? Love their cheese.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

Yes, Wegmans in Downingtown.  I can drive to September Farms in less than 10 minutes.  Though on the expensive side (What isn’t these days?) I go to get their pickled eggs, cheeses, cucumber salad, ravioli, etc. etc. 😀  It’s a great place along with Shady Maple. 

• Like 16

5 minutes ago, rafinmd said:
From my pastor:

He's been out to the grocery store today and plans to stay for the rest of today and tomorrow due to the bitter cold.
Roy's voice sounds clearer to me today, though he reports shortness of breath continuing through yesterday and the night.
We discussed the possibility of Roy setting up some kind of regular check-in by phone text or email everyday that would allow those on this distribution to get an update on his well being and progress. 
Ideally, those with legal and familial authority would take the lead with Roy agree on a pattern of notices to others, to include ones who can provide support because of our proximity.
I know we are all glad to hear of his determination to regain strength and his compliance with doctor's orders for followup and treatment!

Thanks for the update. I know many of us here would help if we were closer. All most of us can do is keep you in our prayers. Please take advantage of those closest to you, family or friends, that can help out. Get plenty of rest, too.

• Like 24

-Melisa

Our condolences and prayers for your family.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Today is Bubble Gum Day, Feed the Birds Day, and The Day the Music Die

I guess I misread this. I fed the birds bubble gum to celebrate the day. They began singing, farted, and then died.

They drifted downwards bouyed by the tiny pink balloons/parachutes coming out of their birdy buttocks. It was sad, yet oddly beautiful.

In related news, we're having a "Wings & Drumsticks Barbecue" on the south end of Fort Lauderdale Beach this evening. If you plan to attend, please bring a side dish. While there are many drumsticks and wings, they are oh-so-tiny and there is not much meat upon them.

Have a great weekend!

Edited by POA1
Edited because they went back to the itsy bitsy font. Do they not realize that we're old?
  • Like 9
  • Haha 8

Good morning!  I’m in a rush this morning to get ready to take DM to an appointment. I wanted to post this picture from San Francisco taken on our Koningsdam Pacific Coastal cruise October 2021. I’ll post more later. 

We sailed into and out of SF in the dark so this was the best picture of the Golden Gate Bridge from the ship. 

907012C4-A791-4468-AB41-A00A5E7FDDDD.thumb.jpeg.42f3578a354523c79b7b1853ec3802de.jpeg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, rafinmd said:
From my pastor:

Roy, thanks for sharing your pastor's group email.  I'm glad you are staying in, and sounding better.  I hope the shortness of breath is improving and you are getting as much sleep as possible.  Having folks nearby to check in with you and help out with errands and necessities is a great thing.  Too bad your Daily family isn't nearby to do those things for you.  We will continue to pray for your health to return and support you here.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

@rafinmdGreat to see that you and your pastor sat down with a plan for your care.  AS @dfish said yesterday, if you want to walk, create a walk within your own 4 walls.  Stay inside and out of that cold air this weekend.  You touch so many people here on the CC site, I am sure that you touch other people who are physically close enough to be on site and care for you at home.  Don't be afraid to tell people what you need, or what you want.  Take care, enjoy the blessings that God has given you right now to take care of the right now.

• Like 24

Good morning from a slightly warmer central Texas.  It was still cloudy when I got up this morning, but just a few minutes ago, there was a almost unfamiliar bright light outside the window.  We should be able to see the sun soon as the clouds are beginning to clear.

I hope everyone in the path of the polar vortex can stay warm, safe inside, and do not have frozen pipes.  

It has been years since I had bubble gum.  We had to quit feeding the birds in Quartzsite several years ago as the doves kept eating the seed meant for the smaller birds.  Let's just say that doves are very messy birds.  The Day the Music Died, I was 12 and shocked to learn about the plane crash.

The Thomas Edison quote really says it all.  He invented so many things we use today in addition to the ones we are most familiar with.

We'll pass on the meal, although DH does get steak tartar in the Pinnacle Grill occasionally.  We'll pass on the drink and would like to try the wine.

We have been to San Francisco three times on cruises and a few times on land trips.  We were in San Francisco twice last spring on the Koningsdam, and I'll look for my pictures to repost.

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, I'm glad everyone made the flight out of DFW.  I was not surprised to read about the 90 minute line at security.  

@ottahand7  Nancy, thanks for the pictures from Antarctica and from your cabin when the ship turned. 

@puppycanducruise  Thanks for adding The Big Bopper to the list of those who died that day.  J. P. Richardson was a musician, songwriter and disc jockey from Beaumont, Texas, and he was 28 when he died.  His biggest hit was "Chantilly Lace".  He was not supposed to be on the plane, but when he came down with the flu, one of the members of The Crickets gave him his seat on the plane, and the other member of The Crickets lost his seat on the plane to Richie Valens in a coin toss.  Valens had never flown on a small plane and wanted to go.  BTW, the band member who gave The Big Bopper his seat was Waylon Jennings, who went on to have a long career.  Texas lost two music stars in that plane crash since Buddy Holly was from Lubbock.

@cruising sister  Thanks for the sunrise picture.  Enjoy your last sea day.

@marshhawk  Annie, I hope Neko gets a good report from the vet.

@cat shepard  Ann, I hope your check up has no surprises.

@summer slope  Dixie, I hope the tour operator can get the tickets for your tour.  Thanks for the explanation of the history of today's drink.

@dfish  Debbie, enjoy your afternoon, and try to stay warm.

@Heartgrove  Jack, I'm glad Sue and your DSIL are feeling better.  Hope you remain negative.

@ger_77  Gerry, I can imagine you DH was not thrilled to learn his foot pain was part of aging.  Once my father's doctor said that something that needed checking was "process aging."  I like the idea of recycling the afghans for new blankets.  I'm glad I didn't get the information about block heaters messed up.

@kochleffel  There seems to one of those passengers on every cruise, but fortunately, we don't interact with them often.

@HAL Sailer  Melisa, I hope the two brothers have found peace and a way to get along.

@rafinmd  Roy, I hope you had a restful night, and are feeling better and stronger today.  Still, take it easy until you are back to 100 percent.

Lenda

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

Good morning. Cold to start, but much warmer than it has been.... was 22 when dogs and I ventured forth. It is supposed to make it into the low 40's today. Tonight is our Snowdown light parade which I will not be attending. The cold is not too bad but the crowds are to be avoided.

Yesterday was a sort of a futile day... did not get much done. To begin with, little Monty Chihuahua went into the vet. I have noticed straining when he is urinating and a number of futile attemps and I could not get a sample as he dodges away from me. "No problem," they said... "Bring him in" they said "We can collect the sample" they said. We had walked at 6:45 and he was straining. I took him in at 10:00 and picked him at 4:45 and he still had not gone. Of course as soon as we got home he flooded the driveway. With my permission they had done an ultrasound and all was normal. I will watch him carefully for the next few days, talk to the vet and then decide on further action. This is a very fearful dog and if you have anything in your hand (like a collection tray) he panics. More $$ done gone.

Glad to hear from Roy this morning and that he and his pastor are putting together a plan. My neighbors are very helpful and while I know he does not like to "impose"... sometimes it is just necessary to ask for a bit of assistance. You can pay it back later. My most positive thoughts continue for him and for the others needing them.

Susan

Bandit and Monty...who wonders why we keep following him around.

• Like 25
  • Haha 1

My@HAL Sailer I am sorry to hear that your DSIL passed away.  No matter if it is expected it is never easy. 

@rafinmdthank for asking your pastor to send us your update.  Continued prayers for your complete recovery. 

@grapau27I am sorry to hear that Sarah isn't doing well.  

@smitty34877I hope Tana recovers her appetite really soon. 

We are making good time to our next scenic cruising site Admiralty Bay and will get there at 3:15.   I hope the sunshine holds.  

Today when we had the listing in both directions the Lido pool did two big dumps.  I hope no one was sitting near it. 

A 200 foot tall tabular iceberg from this morning. Someone did the math on our Facebook page and estimated it was .62 miles deep underwater. 

IMG_20230203_111709907.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 8

Good morning from a cloudy and soon to be rainy PNW. 

@dfish Thanks for checking. DH is still hospitalized but I should find out more today. Yesterday I got there and he was 'Nothing by mouth" because he'd coughed so much the night before at dinner. The hospitalist came in, we agreed DH should eat and we'd watch him, and a bit later lunch was delivered (chocolate pudding, peaches, egg salad, strawberry shake - think Ensure type, and thickened apple juice). He's still on one-to-one feed so the CNA did it for a while then I took over and DH handled it all pretty good. The pudding disappeared fast as did the egg salad, shake and apple juice. The peaches took a bit longer. We'll see what happens today. The options, at this point, are home or a "swing" bed program at the hospital where he'd do more therapy there. I'm all for that one. He did that last Spring and came out in great shape. Hopefully more news tonight!

Karen

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4

I meant to add earlier that it's National Wear Red Day, to highlight heart disease in women.

@marshhawk Sorry to hear Neko still has issues. Hoping for the best. 

@rafinmd I'm glad you have people nearby to help you out. Let them help. And someone to check in with every day is a great idea. 

@durangoscots I hope Monty is ok.

@ottahand7 Aren't those tabular icebergs amazing?

@luvteaching I hope DH's swallowing improves. If he needs more time, then it's good they're not trying to get him home too soon.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 25

Hello Dailyites,

Today is also the AHA National Wear Red Day® and American Heart Month

'National Wear Red Day is Friday, February 3, 2023. Together, we can wear red and be the BIG difference for a better life for women everywhere. We have resources to help you celebrate all Heart Month long!'

It is called Go Red for Women Day. Gives awareness to Heart Health for women who's heart health is often ignored by the medical community and for personal awareness. We wore red and were given Red Heart pins when I was working in the corporate world doing research, every year.

This is a link for more information to this very important issue. ❤️

Go Red for Women Wear Red and Give | Go Red for Women

Very glad Roy is home and on the mend; continued prayers and

good wishes for everyone struggling and for improving health. 🙏

My thanks to everyone's great contibutions here for the rest of us!

Stay warm those of you in the path or are living in the polar vortex - we are very cold here today.

Have a great weekend and everyone take care. 😊

• Like 26

8 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

I meant to add earlier that it's National Wear Red Day, to highlight heart disease in women.

@marshhawk Sorry to hear Neko still has issues. Hoping for the best. 

@rafinmd I'm glad you have people nearby to help you out. Let them help. And someone to check in with every day is a great idea. 

@durangoscots I hope Monty is ok.

@ottahand7 Aren't those tabular icebergs amazing?

@luvteaching I hope DH's swallowing improves. If he needs more time, then it's good they're not trying to get him home too soon.

@JazzyV you beat me to it! LOL... that's OK it is an important topic.

Take care. 😊

• Like 19

16 minutes ago, richwmn said:

You left out the third musician that died that day - J.P. Richardson aka 'The Big Bopper'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Bopper

Sorry about that.  It wasn't on the halfacts.com/Daily listing and I'm not as knowledgeable as others here on 1950's rock and roll musicians/singers.  All I can remember from that time period are the Elvis records my older DS played on our stereo.😉

• Like 15

1 minute ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Sorry about that.  It wasn't on the halfacts.com/Daily listing and I'm not as knowledgeable as others here on 1950's rock and roll musicians/singers.  All I can remember from that time period are the Elvis records my older DS played on our stereo.😉

I didn't notice that I put those two names on the list. My fault.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, HAL Sailer said:

-Melisa

I'm so sorry to hear your sad news Melisa.

Sending our condolences to you Melisa,your husband and to all who loved her.

Graham.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

Even as a child I never liked bubble gum -- I just didn't like the flavor.  My neighbor had a bird feeder but stopped using it because the squirrels used it more than the birds, made a mess, and she had weeds all under the feeder in her flower beds.  Such a sad day when the music died.  I was quite small but do remember.  

I like the quote, will pass on the meal (even smoked salmon gets a pass from me), and wine but the drink sounds good.  I've been to San Francisco many times because we lived in the Bay Area when I was a teen.  In fact my first date with DH was in San Francisco and it's also where I saw the Beatles in concert when I was 14.  Also have been there a few times on cruises.  Sandi @StLouisCruisers I agree SO much about the good old days.  It's a whole other thing there now 😞  

I'm looking forward to having a normal dinner tonight, but don't know yet what that will be.  Two days of soups and scrambled eggs gets old fast. 😉  Mouth is still sore, but as long as I stay away from spicy foods it should be ok.

Today is the day to start that painting.  Debbie @dfishputs me to shame, I've procrastinated long enough!  But it's supposed to rain for the next week -- no gardening and no more excuses!  

Melissa @HAL Sailermy deepest condolences.  Even when it's expected, it's never, ever easy.

Nancy @ottahand7thank you for your photos!  I'm wondering how your chairs on the balcony stayed in place with 90 mph winds?!

Annie @marshhawkyou're such a good kitty mama.  So hard when our pets get older and have problems. 

Roy @rafinmdI'm glad that you'll be getting regular check-ins, thank you for sharing your pastor's email.

Here are some of my photos from different Pacific Coast cruises.  

One time we took a tour to Alcatraz.  Approaching "The Rock"

1163075230_TheRockAlcatraz.jpg.36b7b3a55dfadb18a6b8b922ff7c74c6.jpg

1526589026_approachingAlcatraz.jpg.ac6ffae602925179319f4cefeffa0e06.jpg

Alcatraz.jpg.8f2f3691609e11fa94faf3f816273626.jpg

View of the San Francisco skyline from Alcatraz

2106110337_SFskyline.jpg.73a2b4da07d03ded6ed85df07b6de943.jpg

Cable car stop

431889132_cablecarstop.jpg.145f1d8d2a08ba4b2ca78470a427f76c.jpg

"Gimme some chocolate and nobody gets hurt"

1949030742_Chocolateshop.thumb.jpg.9e796f54b6541b715c2bd13abd5d388a.jpg

Parasailing

parasailing.jpg.d03dd60271517929d0860e28884bd419.jpg

Ghirardelli Square

Ghiradeli.jpg.77f96b92049e0e4f8e4d1ab087961b3f.jpg

118924038_SFstreet.thumb.jpg.e740475fe7e2c14fd34e28d5511695af.jpg

Under the Golden Gate Bridge

926820369_underGoldenGateBridge.jpg.61be09f6c0df91bdf30640a1801ca637.jpg

Golden Gate Bridge at sunset

510736419_GoldenGateBridgeatsunset.jpg.c8c55e966df92b0b6161426757417b3c.jpg

Sea lions at Pier 39

1343155861_SealionsatPier39.thumb.jpg.a4daabee263dc9dff1d10dd091dfdc0b.jpg

631855089_ourshipdocked.jpg.4c82809a029b01abe1c9367cff884af6.jpg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 4

30 minutes ago, richwmn said:

I didn't notice that I put those two names on the list. My fault.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

It's quite all right.  No one here expects us to be perfect!  You have a great weekend, too!

25 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Even as a child I never liked bubble gum -- I just didn't like the flavor.  My neighbor had a bird feeder but stopped using it because the squirrels used it more than the birds, made a mess, and she had weeds all under the feeder in her flower beds.  Such a sad day when the music died.  I was quite small but do remember.  

I like the quote, will pass on the meal (even smoked salmon gets a pass from me), and wine but the drink sounds good.  I've been to San Francisco many times because we lived in the Bay Area when I was a teen.  In fact my first date with DH was in San Francisco and it's also where I saw the Beatles in concert when I was 14.  Also have been there a few times on cruises.  Sandi @StLouisCruisers I agree SO much about the good old days.  It's a whole other thing there now 😞  

I'm looking forward to having a normal dinner tonight, but don't know yet what that will be.  Two days of soups and scrambled eggs gets old fast. 😉  Mouth is still sore, but as long as I stay away from spicy foods it should be ok.

Today is the day to start that painting.  Debbie @dfishputs me to shame, I've procrastinated long enough!  But it's supposed to rain for the next week -- no gardening and no more excuses!  

Melissa @HAL Sailermy deepest condolences.  Even when it's expected, it's never, ever easy.

Nancy @ottahand7thank you for your photos!  I'm wondering how your chairs on the balcony stayed in place with 90 mph winds?!

Annie @marshhawkyou're such a good kitty mama.  So hard when our pets get older and have problems. 

Roy @rafinmdI'm glad that you'll be getting regular check-ins, thank you for sharing your pastor's email.

Here are some of my photos from different Pacific Coast cruises.  

One time we took a tour to Alcatraz.  Approaching "The Rock"

1163075230_TheRockAlcatraz.jpg.36b7b3a55dfadb18a6b8b922ff7c74c6.jpg

1526589026_approachingAlcatraz.jpg.ac6ffae602925179319f4cefeffa0e06.jpg

Alcatraz.jpg.8f2f3691609e11fa94faf3f816273626.jpg

View of the San Francisco skyline from Alcatraz

2106110337_SFskyline.jpg.73a2b4da07d03ded6ed85df07b6de943.jpg

Cable car stop

431889132_cablecarstop.jpg.145f1d8d2a08ba4b2ca78470a427f76c.jpg

"Gimme some chocolate and nobody gets hurt"

1949030742_Chocolateshop.thumb.jpg.9e796f54b6541b715c2bd13abd5d388a.jpg

Parasailing

parasailing.jpg.d03dd60271517929d0860e28884bd419.jpg

Ghirardelli Square

Ghiradeli.jpg.77f96b92049e0e4f8e4d1ab087961b3f.jpg

118924038_SFstreet.thumb.jpg.e740475fe7e2c14fd34e28d5511695af.jpg

Under the Golden Gate Bridge

926820369_underGoldenGateBridge.jpg.61be09f6c0df91bdf30640a1801ca637.jpg

Golden Gate Bridge at sunset

510736419_GoldenGateBridgeatsunset.jpg.c8c55e966df92b0b6161426757417b3c.jpg

Sea lions at Pier 39

1343155861_SealionsatPier39.thumb.jpg.a4daabee263dc9dff1d10dd091dfdc0b.jpg

631855089_ourshipdocked.jpg.4c82809a029b01abe1c9367cff884af6.jpg

Cool photos of San Francisco.  Thank you!  Loved the Beatles!  My parents used to play Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass records on our stereo in my tween years.  But then they had to listen to us upstairs on our stereo listening to the Beatles over and over, all day long.  

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1