Cruise ankles?

colesc15

12 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

Speaking with your physician might be a good idea? Just to see if he/she has any other ideas or suggestions for you?

Uh yes. I responded to the person who suggested a diuretic, directed at the OP. Which is not something one should take without speaking to their physician.

1 hour ago, Tatka said:

In addition to salty food this creates a problem.

How does additional water intake create a problem for non CHF/Cardiac/Kidney patients? 

1 minute ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

we simply take extra magnesium supplements and that solved the balooning problem.

Also helps with leg cramps and sleeplessness, so it's a win-win.

This is one of the problems with desalination,  it removes required minerals like magnesium,  which can lead to water retention.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Definitely was a concern for me until I realized what was going on.

I had severely swollen ankles so bad once that by day 3 of  the cruise I could only wear my sandals.

Now, I hydrate with Water.

Walk the trak

Be very very selective in what I attempt to eat.

Yes I will have pizza, but the rest of the day will eat low carb, low salt, rabbit kinda food.

(My doctor put it best, if it grows above the ground, is normal portions, will be best).

Of course he also gave me a prescription for a diuretic if needed.

I showed him a picture of my feet, and he says the pill will help by doing its job, you have to do your part and eat properly.

Last 2 cruises, had to take the water pill 3 out of 8 days, other days I did great.

Be safe

• Like 3

When we first started cruising, I noticed my feet swelling within a day or two of boarding.  Cruising is the only place I’ve ever had a problem with this.  Once I switched to bottled water, the problem stopped.  While I believe those who say there is no excessive sodium in the ship’s water,I think  there must be either something in it or something lacking that causes this for me.

Sherri🙂

• Like 2

Before I broke my fibula and dislocated my ankle (and knee), my feet and ankles would swell a tiny bit on cruises.  But, since the injury and surgery they both swell, but my left foot and ankle does a lot more.   I know I had soft tissue damage from the dislocation.  The heat and humidity, not only on a cruise, but at the beach affect me more than just a summer day at home.   I know it's eating restaurant type food that is the main culprit.  I don't normally drink a lot of water so I have to force myself.  I also try to eat a banana everyday as well as have some pineapple.  I need to pick up some magnesium tablets and try that on our 12 night Caribbean cruise in April.  I will say, when we cruised to NE/Canada I had zero swelling.  I also have no issues in cooler weather, even at the beach and eating out a lot.

2 hours ago, Mikew0805 said:

Uh yes. I responded to the person who suggested a diuretic, directed at the OP. Which is not something one should take without speaking to their physician.

How does additional water intake create a problem for non CHF/Cardiac/Kidney patients? 

I am not CHF/Cardiac/Kidney patient, but If I eat salty food and drink water I gain weight. Difference sometimes 4 lbs.

11 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

we simply take extra magnesium supplements and that solved the balooning problem.

Also helps with leg cramps, constipation and sleeplessness, so it's a win-win-win.

I take a salt/magnesium/potassium combination every morning. It's meant for fasting, but I find it helps me in general.

On 2/14/2023 at 2:31 PM, colesc15 said:

So I know I'm not the only one lol. I'm generally a fairly healthy male, but when we travel on cruises to the Caribbean, the humidity, sugar in drinks, Sodium, it all hits my ankles and balloons them by day 2 or 3 & goes back to normal a day or two after being home. What do you guys do to help alleviate this? Other than raising them at night. 

This will sound weird, but it works:

1.  Write the alphabet with your feet and ankles.  This is what is recommended to reduce swelling after foot surgery.

2.  (Weird part).  Lie on the bed, feet to the top of the bed.  Scoot your butt up until you can comfortably rest your bare feet on the wall above the head of the bed.  I read a book.  You will be surprised how quickly the swelling goes down after doing the alphabet exercise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/14/2023 at 5:31 PM, colesc15 said:

when we travel on cruises, the humidity, sugar in drinks, Sodium, it all hits my ankles and balloons them by day 2 or 3 & goes back to normal a day or two after being home. What do you guys do to help alleviate this? Other than raising them at night. 

Ran this by my neighbor's son (he'll be entering high school in the fall).  His advice:  balance exposure to humidity with indoor/air-conditioned activity (yes, activity); limit your sugar intake; limit your sodium intake.  I think he's on to something.

• Haha 3

Aloha. Not to be alarming and I am not a physician but my parents traveled the world by sea and my dad had a heart condition.  I would definitely speak with your doctor and possibly a cardiologist. I would be remiss if I did not reply. Please keep us posted.  All the best.

22 hours ago, colesc15 said:

Thanks everyone. I definitely drink a lot of water (and alcohol lol). It's definitely more of an annoyance than anything. In the morning they're usually good but midday, right back at it until bed

Try what basically everyone is saying: elevating feet, avoid sitting for long periods (every hour if sea day get up and walk 3x around track), stay hydrated with water but not too much, and avoid the bacon at breakfast!!  Or anything too salty at breakfast.  I also walk around after I eat.  I get this  sometimes when I hike outdoors in the summer and mine is sun related plus I sometimes forget my electrolyte packs and I tend to go overboard with the mileage.  But walking around really does help on the cruise ship.  

• Like 1

Guest phd1003
2 hours ago, bucfan2 said:

Ran this by my neighbor's son (he'll be entering high school in the fall).  His advice:  balance exposure to humidity with indoor/air-conditioned activity (yes, activity); limit your sugar intake; limit your sodium intake.  I think he's on to something.

Solid advice - I watch alot of TV (ER,  Grey's anatomy, Chicago Med) I concur with your neighbors assessment. However I need to know, is he a Diamond + ? That would really help me decide if he knows his stuff.

i get this issue often but i refuse to limit myself on a cruise. i already do it every day, i am not doing it on vacation. Aside from elevating, i bring those ugly white compression socks they put you in for surgery and wear them about every other night. it helps so much! 

• Like 1

I also wear ankle compression socks that look just like regular ankle socks so no one notices them when I wear athletic shoes.  It does just push the swelling up above my ankles a little bit but helps keep my feet from swelling and getting sore.  

Many people get sensitive to sodium as they become "classic" which is right before "vintage" in life but before "antique."

On cruises, we cannot control the amount of salt added to the food.

For most people, they can have almost as much salt as they want without incident. 

How many people have an egg omelet with cheese with sausage, bacon, and bread more than once a week at home? On cruises, it happens every day for many days. Go to the Doghouse, sausage with sides (like potato salad) again have a substantial amount of sodium. Stop off for a late snack of pizza, lots of sodium to make it taste good and the cheese. Dinner, all the gravies and sauces need salt to work. The shrimp cocktail has salt in the shrimp and most cocktail sauces have 800mg in just two teaspoons which is not uncommon. Caeser salad dressings require salt and cheese as well as croutons which contain salt. Taco fillings have cheese, and the meats normally require salt for flavor.

If you are sensitive like I am to salt, you can only control the portions and try not to have the saltiest types of food all in one day.

Exercise does help as it moves interstitial fluids back into the lymphatic system and reduces the swelling.

I enjoy cruising and cruise food, but I have had to adapt over the years as my body seems to be more sensitive as time goes on.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, sjb317 said:

When we first started cruising, I noticed my feet swelling within a day or two of boarding.  Cruising is the only place I’ve ever had a problem with this.  Once I switched to bottled water, the problem stopped.  While I believe those who say there is no excessive sodium in the ship’s water,I think  there must be either something in it or something lacking that causes this for me.

Sherri🙂

+1 on this.

Just came back from a Viking cruise. All the water comes from their filtration system (and I drink a lot of water). My ankles were like balloons to being painful.  I swapped half to 3/4 of it to bottle water and it helped a lot.

7 minutes ago, angelhelly said:

+1 on this.

Just came back from a Viking cruise. All the water comes from their filtration system (and I drink a lot of water). My ankles were like balloons to being painful.  I swapped half to 3/4 of it to bottle water and it helped a lot.

Are your symptoms the same on an RCI cruise or was it something to do with Viking?

I have this problem every time we cruise.  I have never experienced it anywhere else.

On two cruises, I called ahead of time and added a low-sodium diet requirement.  If you're eating in the MDR, following dinner they will bring you the next evening's menu and take your order because it will be prepared with as little salt as possible.  Even if you are eating in a specialty restaurant, the waiters will know that you are on a low-sodium diet and will make meal suggestions.

Additionally, I tried to avoid tap water at all costs (aside from ice in my drinks, of course!).

These two things made an AMAZING difference.

I will take magnesium supplements on my next cruise and see how I fare with those.

• Like 2