Carnival President, Christine Duffy, releases statement on the issue of inappropriate behavior on board its ships,

supaflyrobby

2 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Our local police will disagree with this. The high concentration commercial produced marijuana makes for very combative and aggressive users.  More of the local domestic violence cases  involve weed now than alcohol in the under 30 age group

I would need to see data regarding this but you are correct. Too high of a concentrate can cause paranoia.   

1 minute ago, Eli_6 said:

I have not encountered the marijuana smoking everyone else has (maybe the cruises I have gone on), but I have encountered plenty of VERY rude people.  Blatantly cutting in line, making nasty/rude comments out-of-the-blue, rushing to the elevator to cut off the elderly/mobility impaired who had been waiting longer than them, etc. I could go on and on. I have a hard time not saying something when I witness these behaviors, but I have learned (the hard way) that the sort of people who behave in these ways are also the sort of people who get very aggressive and nasty if called out so it is best just to ignore.  I also feel like these bad behaviors have been substantially worse since the restart. It seems like people forgot how to act and be respectful during the shutdown.  Or maybe everyone is just extra stressed out in this world we live in.  

People being told to sit at home for months at a time it's incredible how quickly they turned feral.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, asalligo said:

I mainly mean Marijuana which I have seen openly smoked on deck in the last year on two Carnival cruise ships. Security knew this was occurring, everyone could smell it. They were just letting it happen. Her threats have no teeth until this is stopped People have become accustomed to Carnivals lack policies and this attracts those kinds of people. You can bet that in groups they are asking each other, which ship can I bring my drugs onboard? Carnival. 

Recent reports seem to show drug sniffing dogs at embarkation. 

Cruise last year on Panorama (spring break time) and no issues even with "rude" people. Was a fantastic cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I took a 4-day run on the Radiance. I may have booked it just to try Shaq's Chicken.

Anyway I learned two things that trip:

1. Blue Iguana Cantina is the best thing ever

2. There's a different sort of vibe on the shorter cruise

I will likely never book anything under 7 days ever again.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

I have not encountered the marijuana smoking everyone else has (maybe the cruises I have gone on), but I have encountered plenty of VERY rude people.  Blatantly cutting in line, making nasty/rude comments out-of-the-blue, rushing to the elevator to cut off the elderly/mobility impaired who had been waiting longer than them, etc. I could go on and on. I have a hard time not saying something when I witness these behaviors, but I have learned (the hard way) that the sort of people who behave in these ways are also the sort of people who get very aggressive and nasty if called out so it is best just to ignore.  I also feel like these bad behaviors have been substantially worse since the restart. It seems like people forgot how to act and be respectful during the shutdown.  Or maybe everyone is just extra stressed out in this world we live in.  

I have found the large family groups who are working out their own passive/aggressive issues in public to be the worst of the worst.  Common denominator seems to be a experienced cruiser family member who is paying for new cruisers who are more resentful than grateful.  They function as a wolfpack and lo to the sheep who is in the way.    

• Like 6

2 hours ago, kdr69 said:

How much and what kind?  Is there data somewhere that supports this? curious.

So a statement from Duffy and the implementation of drug sniffing dogs at ports and on the ships isn't adequate "data" for you as proof Carnival is having a problem with drug use on their ships? 

• Like 5

Like an idiot, I booked my 2 grandsons and I on a spring break cruise this year after swearing against them last year due to the thug-like mentality on the cruise (the Valor out of New Orleans).  It got so bad that the room stewards and some of the entertainment staff were recruited to help with security.  

I hope things are better this year.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, monykalyn said:

Recent reports seem to show drug sniffing dogs at embarkation. 

Cruise last year on Panorama (spring break time) and no issues even with "rude" people. Was a fantastic cruise.

Yes, we had a drug sniffing dog pass by us one-by-one in the PC terminal before boarding Magic January 14, 2023.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CrankyOldGuy said:

So a statement from Duffy and the implementation of drug sniffing dogs at ports and on the ships isn't adequate "data" for you as proof Carnival is having a problem with drug use on their ships? 

Actually no it is not. Seems like it is routine and should be taking place regularly. We should be under the assumption that it's US Customs and TSA doing these checks and not Carnival doing them. I doubt they are just checking Carnival ships...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Carnival has said many times before that they will not tolerate bad behavior. If they issue these warnings but there is no follow-through then behavior will not change. Its just like kids. You can threaten to punish them for bad behavior all you want but eventually they learn that there are no real consequences and continue to spiral out of control. 

And I agree that it seems that the bulk of the behavior problems seem to occur on shorter cruises over spring break and summer vacation. However, I have seen my fair share of bad behavior on longer, off season cruises also.

• Like 2

I have seen security approach people about playing Bluetooth speakers too loud, and they were swarmed by the entire family.  I can see why they may be hesitant to approach someone about smoking marijuana.  The family was rude and beyond verbally abusive to the security team, calling them racist, all the while hurling slurs about their ethnicity toward them.

I hope Carnival stays good to their word on this.  I would also recommend passengers get dog sniffed prior to boarding in foreign ports because you can get it anywhere, even without asking.

• Like 4

I have sailed on NCL and there was the very same marijuana issue there as well. The rude, obnoxious and arrogant guests are everywhere now perhaps a bit more on Carnival but I have personally witnessed security telling parents to stop their kids from running on lido and they basically told security to FO...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SwordBlazer Cruising said:

I have sailed on NCL and there was the very same marijuana issue there as well. The rude, obnoxious and arrogant guests are everywhere now perhaps a bit more on Carnival but I have personally witnessed security telling parents to stop their kids from running on lido and they basically told security to FO...

The most drunks and only fight I've ever witnessed was on NCL.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I assume that asalligo is referring to the uptick in blatant pot smoking on board, since it is legalized in so many states (and countries: Hi, Canada!) that it has become normalized and many people don't care it isn't allowed by Carnival and still illegal under US Federal law (which in theory trumps state law, but the Feds are not enforcing it "locally").

I don't think there is a concern about the other, harder, drugs.  But what do I know, maybe Carnival is a floating Opium den for some groups of people...

Weed doesn't make people unruly or fight. 

People need to quit with the bad rap on weed. Many (of us) are actually prescribed it instead of pills to manage PTSD, insomnia and many other issues. I don't even get high, it only levels me out, same as some pill might do....but of course I have to try 20 different pills to find out which works for me and eventually it'll stop working and have to try all the different pills and weights again.

If you don't like the smell, fine, understood. Yes, I do know what the laws and rules are, not advocating anyone break those rules, only saying weed isn't meth.

So don't act as if weed is creating anything more than mellow people.

More people should smoke weed.

Edited by EngIceDave
  • Like 5
  • Haha 6

20 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Is this any different than the announcement they had on the same subject a week or two ago? 

They did announce here that there would be extra security personnel onboard and drug-sniffing dogs in the terminals.  That was new to me, though it wouldn't surprise me if they had taken these measures earlier.

Anyway, Ms. Duffy reminded me of a substitute teacher facing a class that's bound and determined to defy her.  I don't envy her, and I also don't see this video (other than the countermeasures explained within the video) doing a whole lot to help.  If things don't improve by the end of spring, then what?  I'm not sure that I want to find out.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, CrankyOldGuy said:

No, actually it isnt.  Those are "reactions to an issue" not the data that informs those reactions.  Same as the statement from Duffy and the dogs are reactions.  How much, what kind, when, where, that is Data.  Statements that there is illegal drug use everywhere is just that, a statement. When people say they smelled marijauna on thier cruise its usually 1 or 2 people doing it out of 5,000 but the comments are always "so much marijauna being smoked on our cruise" or "lots of drug use on our cruise" making it sound like only 2 people out of 5000 were not smoking it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1