Breakfast room service menu

oskidunker

14 hours ago, Iloveketo said:

If you are doing an Ocean cruise.

Grabbing something before going to bed sounds like a good idea. All rooms, but the Veranda category have coffee makes. 

I think you might be able to get a muffin/danish and a hot beverage at the living room bar on deck one before 6:00. Hopefully, someone else can offer more help. 

We recently did an ocean cruise that included Haifa.  The World Cafe opened early on days when there were early tours.  If I recall correctly, they opened at 5.30am on one day.

Edited by Canberra601
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Iloveketo said:

. It looks like it has mushrooms. I would love to have them in addition to my normal breakfast. 

Mushrooms are available in The Restaurant as a side with breakfast. I usually have them when I order the grilled lambchops. That’s them beside the hollandaise  in the picture below.

I also think they are in The World Cafe. 

7BF4B6BA-4E47-4E6E-A192-C01CEDBF92A0.jpeg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cruz_happy said:

Since we are talking breakfast and since I am new to Viking, does anyone know if they serve grits anywhere on the ships?  (I’m from South USA.).  TYIA 

I’ve never seen grits on Viking.  Wonder if maybe they serve them on the Mississippi River? Since Im used to the ones I make from a local mill, I suspect they wouldn’t be very good if they did😂

• Like 1

We often order food the night before when we have an early start. We make sure to pack large plastic bags and a few feet of tin foil in order to cover the food for the in room refrigerator.Cheese/fruit plate is perfect for me but my husband will order something heavier such as one of the sandwiches.

Nippy Sweetie, think polenta when talking about grits. It is a corn product but many grits are white in appearance. Since butter is often generously included after cooking, the white does take on a light yellow appearance. Some grits are more yellow, and I would guess that is due to the grinding and production processes. 

I am from the South also and often wish for grits when away from home. It is a comfort breakfast item for me and it tastes particularly nice when mixed up with scambled eggs (after the eggs are already cooked).  I don't recall seeing them on the ship but I may have missed the offering.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hmmmm. Not sure I fancy grits! I'm not keen on the texture of polenta.

I do enjoy a good breakfast. Fresh fruit and yoghurt, maybe a couple of poached eggs and lots of lovely crisp brown toast and butter.

On our last cruise (not on Viking) we used to order early morning coffee, fruit juice and croissants on our balcony and watch the sail in to wherever we were going. The sail in to Kotor in Croatia was wonderful.

12 hours ago, cruz_happy said:

Since we are talking breakfast and since I am new to Viking, does anyone know if they serve grits anywhere on the ships?  (I’m from South USA.).  TYIA 

Fellow grits lover, but I have not seen them on Viking. I have seen them on other cruise lines. Sometimes I have seen polenta.  I ordered it at Manfredi's once, but it wasn't typical polenta and in something like a cube shape and didn't taste like polenta at all. 

3 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Mushrooms are available in The Restaurant as a side with breakfast. I usually have them when I order the grilled lambchops. That’s them beside the hollandaise  in the picture below.

I also think they are in The World Cafe. 

7BF4B6BA-4E47-4E6E-A192-C01CEDBF92A0.jpeg

Just change the lamb chop to a strip steak and I’m in heaven!

Just now, Iloveketo said:

Just change the lamb chop to a strip steak and I’m in heaven!

I’ve tried the steak but the lamb chops are more to my liking. 

just as a clarification, I doubt you can order the Lamb Chops for room service…unless you’re in the Owner’s Suite I presume. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

Fellow grits lover, but I have not seen them on Viking. I have seen them on other cruise lines. Sometimes I have seen polenta.  I ordered it at Manfredi's once, but it wasn't typical polenta and in something like a cube shape and didn't taste like polenta at all. 

I love polenta, never tried grits…

Sounds like I might want to skip it on Viking…

32 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Hey, Oliver Twist never had shrimp & grits.  Lots of butter and Tabasco...😎

Anything is good with enough butter and tabasco. I learned years ago that I only thing I liked about eating shrimp or lobster was the butter.  😝 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Canberra601 said:

We recently did an ocean cruise that included Haifa.  The World Cafe opened early on days when there were early tours.  If I recall correctly, they opened at 5.30am on one day.

Thankyou. Haifa is actually a late start for us, it's Egypt that creates the 6 am starts. There are a few early starts this cruise. 

5 hours ago, miami mama said:

We often order food the night before when we have an early start. We make sure to pack large plastic bags and a few feet of tin foil in order to cover the food for the in room refrigerator.Cheese/fruit plate is perfect for me but my husband will order something heavier such as one of the sandwiches.

Nippy Sweetie, think polenta when talking about grits. It is a corn product but many grits are white in appearance. Since butter is often generously included after cooking, the white does take on a light yellow appearance. Some grits are more yellow, and I would guess that is due to the grinding and production processes. 

I am from the South also and often wish for grits when away from home. It is a comfort breakfast item for me and it tastes particularly nice when mixed up with scambled eggs (after the eggs are already cooked).  I don't recall seeing them on the ship but I may have missed the offering.  

Brilliant advice. Food Bags and alfoil on the packing list now. 

Lamb is ridiculously expensive in Australia and it's my favourite meat. Will need to do a breakfast at The Restaurant then. 

Edited by Pushka

16 hours ago, cruz_happy said:

I'm a southerner, too. I've been on two Viking Ocean cruises and never saw grits. I never asked for them, though.

12 hours ago, springtravel said:

Grits are ground corn, very similar in texture to cream of wheat.  Put a pat of butter, salt and pepper, and that's what we eat with eggs, instead of potatoes.  Also similar to polenta

And cheese!  Gotta have cheese if you're having them with shrimp instead of breakfast.  😊

• Like 1