What to do with the Medallion...?

NavyCruiser

3 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

Just came back from cruise.

So what do we do with the 2 Medallions itself?

Trash it?

Smash it?

Burn it?

Shred it?

Are there residual personal info still on it...?

Thanks,

Nothing to hack on the medallion, there's nothing personal on it.

We use them as refrigerator magnets.  I'm hoping to cover my fridge some day.  Right now there's only 8, sniff. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Sadly, Princess does not provide collection boxes for them after you debark from your cruise. The medallions contain a battery and electronics, neither of which should be thrown into landfills. Princess should collect the medallions (for those of us who don’t want to keep them) and properly recycle them. 

• Like 17

33 minutes ago, shellbeachjim said:

Sadly, Princess does not provide collection boxes for them after you debark from your cruise. The medallions contain a battery and electronics, neither of which should be thrown into landfills. Princess should collect the medallions (for those of us who don’t want to keep them) and properly recycle them. 

Yes!  I would love to just drop them off as we pass out of the building.

I just put them in my old battery jar and recycle them.

• Like 3

I have a manila file folder for all of my notes, deck plans, port maps, Patters, receipts, etc. from each cruise.  The Medallion (mine, not my wife's) gets taped to the inside front cover.  I'm not sure why I save them; I'm just a pack rat. 

• Like 2

On 2/20/2023 at 7:43 AM, Esprit said:

I use mine as a ball marker when playing golf. The magnet means it is always attached to my metal pitch mark repairer so less likely to get lost unlike many other ball markers I've had (lost)!

What a great idea.  I am going to try and do it.

• Thanks 1

I also thought about the thousands of these things per cruise times hundreds of cruises seems like a huge waste. Here’s a thought how about a medallion that simply gets programmed to you and once you board ship it identifies you and operates like planned.

14 hours ago, Kineticoh20 said:

I also thought about the thousands of these things per cruise times hundreds of cruises seems like a huge waste. Here’s a thought how about a medallion that simply gets programmed to you and once you board ship it identifies you and operates like planned.

I asked the medallion people at an onboard presentation when they first came out in 2019 that same question. Environmentally it would seem to make more sense to issue one without the cruise info on it and with a replaceable battery. At that time they said that they were looking into that and they encouraged recycling. It might have something with shoreside security being able to see the cruise ship and dates without scanning but I've never had any look that closely at it. It would also be a huge step to expect the normal cruiser to find their medallion and replace the battery for their next cruise. Most would arrive with dead medallions and there would be a battery replacement line 🤔 More likely, they think this way is less expensive. Now it is a money maker to charge $10 shipping each cruise.