The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday February 25th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

Thank you Sandi, a lovely start to my day! Rich thank you for making it happen. 
Vanessa, thank you for keeping our lists. 

Just a quick pop in to share the wine info. My visitors woke up as early as I did. 😎. It is already a beautiful day here. 

97559307-71FD-468D-B42E-D68B0FBDD4FD.jpeg.c0ab18bc7d464e3d291043e35916ea10.jpeg

5AA1DEE3-B574-4A07-8271-FDD050413BB6.jpeg.0ffca2bc83ae103d84600740b7311adb.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating. Get well & stay well everyone!

Fattoria Le Pupille Toscana Saffredi 2019

This amazing red blend sounds lovely. Lots of fans everywhere! But those fans pay a bit to enjoy this one. Several online distributors with prices starting at $98.99.

Winemaker Notes

#8 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2022

Dense ruby red. Dark fruit on the nose, such as blackberry and black mulberry, intense aromas of black pepper and cinnamon, tobacco and freshly ground coffee, hints of sandalwood, rhubarb, pepper and balsamic notes at the end. The mouthfeel is fresh, with elegant and round tannins. Very long persistence on fruity notes.

Blend: 70% Cabernet Sauvignon, 26% Merlot, 4% Petit Verdot

JS99 James Suckling
So much crushed stone, rosemary, lavender, mint and blackberry. Full-bodied and very structured with layers of powerful and polished tannins. It goes on for minutes. Ink, blackcurrants and blueberries. 60% cabernet sauvignon, 35% merlot and 5% petit verdot. Needs at least five or six years to open. Try after 2025.
RP97 Robert Parker's Wine Advocate
My article on icon wines from Tuscany focuses primarily on releases from the 2018 vintage. Fattoria le Pupille releases its top wine, the 2019 Saffredi, earlier than the rest. This blend of 70% Cabernet Sauvignon, 26% Merlot and 4% Petit Verdot is explosive. The percentage of Cabernet Sauvignon has been slightly increased in this vintage (and we can expect the same in the warm 2020 vintage that saw the percentage of Merlot further reduced). This 2019 expression boasts a very compact and powerful quality of fruit with deep intensity, thick layering and a velvety texture. This is a real beauty that should be put aside for a few more years of aging.
Rating: 97+
WS96 Wine Spectator

A deep, polished red, whose black currant, blackberry, plum, violet and oak spice aromas and flavors mesh well with the dense structure, showing terrific length. Very focused and balanced, this needs a few years to integrate.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 7

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Here's a tongue twister to get you going today:  say five times in a row, as fast as you can "Irish wrist watch".   I'm not a fan of guns, although I have taken a gun safety course and know how to shoot them.  When we had the farm, I needed to know how to handle a gun because there were always bears and wolves not far away.  I plan on opening a new box of wine tonight, so it's kind of like opening 4 bottles at once. 

Well we have heat this morning, and we have a new computer, woo hoo!  This computer is lightning fast (well, compared to the old one), but it comes with a wired keyboard and mouse.  The old keyboard was so well used that many of the letters were blank (just like when I learned to type), but it went downstairs to DH's work desk where he'll use the old tower and monitor for a word processor when he works on his music.   This new keyboard is also a little smaller, so I'm having to use the backspace a lot more often.  LOL

Not a lot happening here today, which is fine, considering how many trips we had to make back and forth to Staples yesterday.  It's still cold out, so I think it's a good day to continue working on knitting and crocheting blankets.  Of course, I'll take some time off to watch sail-away and will wave at @RMLincoln and her family as they pass by the camera.

I haven't made mashed potatoes in my instant pot, but I'm sure it's quick!  I have some Italian sausages thawing that will be cooked in the air fryer, and they'll be served along with some mini potatoes baked in parmesan butter and a side salad at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers with raised glasses for all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 31

Good morning, everyone!

We had a rousing round of Farkle Friday last night.  DB Bill brought over fried chicken and the fixings for dinner and then we had three games of Farkle accompanied by lots of laughs.  Today's agenda includes a trip to the hardware store and the discount warehouse store.  

Mashed potatoes have to be the ultimate comfort food.  I wouldn't consider them to be a meal, but I suppose some could make it so.  Let's start with the spuds.  This is a basic instant pot recipe for mashed potatoes.  https://www.spendwithpennies.com/instant-pot-mashed-potatoes/

mashedpotatoes3.thumb.jpg.da5a8701f930c3cd1e9ca082b6b92a29.jpg

This next one throws in some cream cheese or sour cream to up that calorie load.  We wouldn't want to waste away!  https://pinchofyum.com/instant-pot-mashed-potatoes

mashedpotatoes1.thumb.jpg.475a9a8efe7507b530b3f7fdf938f2d1.jpg

This one uses sour cream and milk.  https://thesaltymarshmallow.com/instant-pot-mashed-potatoes/

mashedpotatoes2.thumb.jpg.68a2d99ead07c12e16293f271c1478ec.jpg

They all look so good.  But a meal they are not.  So, why not add some hamburger gravy to them and make them a meal?   They used to serve that in the cafeteria and the kids loved it.  https://www.spendwithpennies.com/hamburger-gravy/

hamburgergravy.thumb.jpg.5e5077a4977f51608bae72e0b8a0186a.jpg

And there you have it!   

I'm glad to hear that some of the 3:00 am club slept better last night.  I woke up around 4:00 am briefly, but went right back to sleep.  @rafinmd Roy, happy non birthday!  @marshhawk hoping you'll check in with us today.  We know yesterday was terrible and hard, but we all want to give you a virtual hug.  

Healing thoughts to those who need them and cheers to those celebrating.  Wishing you all a wonderful day.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 7

2 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

I requested a WAVE from the PE port cam, so maybe a screenshot will come our way to share - if you get something please send it to me at rmlincoln at hotmail dot com.  I’ll be the shortest one on our balconies, waving a red bandana. Port forward, deck 5. Rotterdam! 

If there's a screenshot of your group on the sailaway thread or PTZ's Port Fever Website, I'll send it.

• Like 16

Good Saturday Morning Dailyites.  It's 53 here and cloudy, and the heat came on this morning for the first time in 4 days.  I had the bedroom window open for the last 4 nights, and slept so much better than I had been, plus I took off the mega comforter from the bed, so I was not feeling so squashed.  I didn't sleep all night, got up at my usual 1 and 4 somethings, but when i was asleep I could tell it was better sleep than the past few months.

Yesterday was, as you know not a great day.  We got to the vets at 8:20 and we were the only people there.  They took us into a back patient room, where one of my paintings hang, and the vet came in.  It was Dr. Prescott, but instead of her usual "we can save this animal " speech, she said, it was time.  Neko was starving to death, because she could no longer eat or swallow,  and they gave her a sedative, and gave us some time in the room alone with her.  I didn't retell the cat about how we found her, and how she was the best office cat, I had told her that the night before.  But our lives are sometimes so routine, and maybe it's us getting old, but it didn't seem that long since she was just a kitten found in a box marked -Free Kat.  Turns out she was 19 years old.  To me that's pretty old for a cat, so I do know while it hurt to lose her, there was no way I was going to let her suffer anymore.

We buried her up in the back yard, and put in Grayson, who's ashes had been in an urn since 2020. And then I made sure that we watched Formula 1 and Death in Paradise during any remaining free moments of the day. We both worked yesterday too. I just didn't want empty hours going over in my head that I did the right thing.  I know I did, but I know DH was still questioning this decision.  I also checked in when I could and caught up with reading the Daily yesterday.

Welcome @TAW1963.  Do you know about the musician Gregory Alan Isakov? He does a great song about Idaho.  The definition of his music is "dusty americana"

@dfishIs it possible to make a pot of mashed potatoes big enough to dive in?  These all look great.  My idea of mashed potatoes these days is a bag of instant.  

e549ae81bd2215d41a044a9652ae94b1.jpg

funny-cat-computer-11.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 2

After unpacking literally & emotionally from my DSIL's six month long journey to her transition and memorial services last weekend, I gave myself yesterday curled on the couch catching up on The Daily.

I won't attempt to reiterate all I read or the prayers I said or the joys I felt, but a few things jumped out:

@kazu Thanks for the reminder that we all need to give ourselves time to heal -- physically and emotionally. Your wisdom allowed me permission to take yesterday off.

@Seasick Sailor's unfortunate elevator interaction with that currently able but incredibly rude woman who said there should be a handicap elevator made me think of what a PT friend says we should all remember, "We are all just temporarily able."

@dfish You mentioned serving the daily recipe mandarin orange salad to your sister when she next visits. To celebrate your return to Michigan, perhaps you'll add some of our famous dried cherries? They are delicious in salad and a great with citrus.

@XBGuy, @StLouisCruisers, @bennybear, Yesterday's refrigerator discussion made me realize all the things I'll need to consider before replacing my regular depth refrig with a  countertop depth one. The personal experiences of the Daily-ites will have me thinking and rethinking. Thanks! 

@cunnorl's return to golf reminded me that it doesn't seem @MISTER 67has posted recently -- about golfing or anything. Hoping all is well.

And, now, I'll sign off admitting I'm curled up on the couch again this morning and very thankful we are not among the half-million homes in Michigan still without power after this week's storms. Hoping @ottahand7 family's homes are soon restored.

My 🙏 and my 🎉 to you all,

-Melisa 

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

After unpacking literally & emotionally from my DSIL's six month long journey to her transition and memorial services last weekend, I gave myself yesterday curled on the couch catching up on The Daily.

I won't attempt to reiterate all I read or the prayers I said or the joys I felt, but a few things jumped out:

@kazu Thanks for the reminder that we all need to give ourselves time to heal -- physically and emotionally. Your wisdom allowed me permission to take yesterday off.

@Seasick Sailor's unfortunate elevator interaction with that currently able but incredibly rude woman who said there should be a handicap elevator made me think of what a PT friend says we should all remember, "We are all just temporarily able."

@dfish You mentioned serving the daily recipe mandarin orange salad to your sister when she next visits. To celebrate your return to Michigan, perhaps you'll add some of our famous dried cherries? They are delicious in salad and a great with citrus.

@XBGuy, @StLouisCruisers, @bennybear, Yesterday's refrigerator discussion made me realize all the things I'll need to consider before replacing my regular depth refrig with a  countertop depth one. The personal experiences of the Daily-ites will have me thinking and rethinking. Thanks! 

@cunnorl's return to golf reminded me that it doesn't seem @MISTER 67has posted recently -- about golfing or anything. Hoping all is well.

And, now, I'll sign off admitting I'm curled up on the couch again this morning and very thankful we are not among the half-million homes in Michigan still without power after this week's storms. Hoping @ottahand7 family's homes are soon restored.

-Melisa 

Everything is fine, just keeping a low profile, thanks for thinking about me. One of these days I’ll start posting again.

Weather has been beautiful here in Punta Gorda, mid 80s every day with low humidity and no rain but some snowbirds are already complaining about the heat, they should spend a summer in Florida if they want to experience some real heat not to mention high humidity. 
Celebrated my 77th birthday on Feb. 12th. Still playing Golf 3 times a week. 

Heading out on the Celebrity Reflection on April 2nd for our 70th cruise.

Hope all are doing well here at The Daily.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

Good morning from a still cloudy central Texas.  It is about 42F and will reach 55F this afternoon.  The good news is that for part of the afternoon the wind will be below 5mph.  Maybe I can get the weed killed sprayed on the yard today. 🤞  Starting tomorrow we will have high winds and rain off and on all next week.

Well, I accidently hit submit replay instead of the quote posts.  I hope I can finish adding everything before this times out.  So please forgive any typos I miss as I hurry to finish.

We'll not be patenting a pistol today, and you have to be really careful saying  tongue twisters.  I'll be opening a new bottle of Riesling tonight.

The Oscar Wilde quote is true.

Thanks to @Horizon chaser 1957 I started cooking mashed potatoes in my instant pot.  It really isn't quicker if you add in the time for it to reach pressure, but the cooking time is about six or seven minutes.  The big plus for me is that the instant pot does not boil over making a mess on the stove top.  Besides butter and milk, I add sour cream and bacon bits to my mashed potatoes, especially when I'm not making gravy.

We'll pass on the drink, but would like to try the wine if it wasn't pricey.  

We have been to Aarhus twice, and I'll find my pictures in a few minutes.

@Crazy For Cats  Jake, the seminar should be interesting.  For us, it was better for DH to wait until he was 70, but for me, 65 was the best time to start collecting social security.  It varies depending on one's circumstances.

@Lady Hudson  Katherine, enjoy your day in Charleston.

@Mr. Boston  Hope your relatives arrive safely and on time.  Enjoy the Champagne.

@RMLincoln  Maureen, I hope all are safely in Ft. Lauderdale by now.  🎈🛳️ BONVOYAGE  AND HAVE A WONDERFUL CRUISE!  🥂 🍾

@aliaschief  Bruce, I'm glad the doctor appointment went well, and that your back is better today.

@rafinmd  Roy, I'm glad you slept better, and I hope the swelling subsides soon.

@1ANGELCAT  The food at the fire departments sounds wonderful.  Here it's fish fries (catfish) or barbecue.   I wish we'd know about these fund raisers when we lived in Kemblesville.

I'll stop now and finish the rest in another post before this one times out.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 27

19 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

-Melisa 

Melisa, I certainly hope this weekend is a lot more relaxing and restorative for you.  Great news you have power but unfortunate for the many without it.  

I just wanted to let you know, the counter depth refrigerators save you quite a bit of space in your kitchen.  However they still jut out several inches due to water tubing for the icemaker plus electrical plug. Besides you need space for the doors to swing wide open.  I took photos of ours to show you depth, also how the ice bin works in the freezer drawer.  @XBGuyhad a photo which showed the the water dispenser on the left wall of the fridge.  

Side view

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL14ub-rJ96TevCU6yeXwGoKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1677337462

front view

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKMhcgVrgjFK7UR2lhqJi5yUnDnu4gHHWpfyYq5WwzmNg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1677337460

The ice bin when you pull out the freezer drawer.  The scoop has a nesting spot right in front.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIdlikz5s8kMCLt-Z3OOlCn5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1677337460

Good luck with your shopping for refrigerators.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Everything is fine, just keeping a low profile, thanks for thinking about me. One of these days I’ll start posting again.

Weather has been beautiful here in Punta Gorda, mid 80s every day with low humidity and no rain but some snowbirds are already complaining about the heat, they should spend a summer in Florida if they want to experience some real heat not to mention high humidity. 

Happy belated birthday @MISTER 67!!  You and old Abe Lincoln share the same birthday.  Enjoy your upcoming cruise on Celebrity Reflection!

• Like 15

Good morning all,

I booked a spontaneous trip to Las Vegas for this Tuesday. This is out of character for me. My brother and sister in law booked one leaving tomorrow. I have a tax appointment Tuesday morning so will join them Tuesday night. It is a short one returning Friday.  That is about all the time I can spend in Vegas. I will need to file a final tax return for my son and husband and deal with my sons estate. I will need to get away after that appointment. 

Ice hit us again last night and I did not realize it and my poor dog took a tumble down the stairs. It will melt away today thank goodness. 

I will add to the refrigerator discussion. I have a counter depth refrigerator for the first time. For me being alone it is enough. I also have and old fridge in the basement for over flow. I like that it does not stick out as far for the aesthetics but it is smaller inside which is not all bad. I keep it cleaned out better than when I had a bigger one. 

image.jpg

• Like 19

19 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Happy belated 77th birthday.

Pleased to hear you are still playing golf 3 times a week.

Graham 

Screenshot_20230225_152803.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily preparation @richwmn.

Pistols can be a problem in the wrong hands. I sometimes feel like I'm saying tongue twisters just in normal conversation. I may have to open a bottle tonight, although it might not be wine 🤯. Interesting quote. I've made mashed potatoes in my Instant Pot, but no carby potatoes currently for me. I'll pass on the drink and wine ($$$).

I haven't been to Aarhus.

It's in the 20's and cloudy now, but we're expecting a high of 46. It seems my issue of trouble falling asleep has improved. I think I may be seeing some help from the hip injection, although it may take a week to fully take effect. No special plans for today, other than continuing to do some sorting, donating and organizing of "stuff".

@StLouisCruisers Thank you for starting the FR/Daily today. Lovely Aarhus photos.

@Lady Hudson Enjoy Charleston.

@RMLincoln We'll be looking for you all at sail-away. Good news about DH tolerating the eye meds better. 

@kazu Great memes.

@aliaschief Good to hear your appointment went well. And I hope the back pain is gone soon.

@rafinmd That's good that you slept well. Do you have a recliner so you can put your feet up for a while daily?

@1ANGELCAT Interesting about the "mud" sale. Most of the VFD's here are now into their Friday Fish Frys, although some dropped out as the county health department is requiring a food permit.

@ger_77 Congrats on the new computer. My keyboard has worn letters too. Fortunately I don't need to look at the keys. 

@marshhawk (((Hugs)) to you and Chuck. Although you did what was best for Neko, it was no doubt heartbreaking. 

@HAL Sailer You've been through a lot; time to take care of you. 

@MISTER 67 Nice to see your post. Belated Happy Birthday! And keep golfing!

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to the Celebration List.

Stay well everyone.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 5

We have snow this morning. Ugh. Dh is shovelling driveway.

to add to the refrigerator discussion. I have a regular depth fridge - it has a nice corner so really doesn’t jut out. But, it is freezer on the bottom and I hate it. We bought it just over a year ago and dh, who never expresses an opinion on appliances, wanted freezer on the bottom so I said ok. I liked my freezer on top because I could see what was in it in nice neat rows when I opened it. Freezer on bottom is just piled up stuff. And I know I can’t get as much in this one as I did in my old one. Anyway, I deal with it and dh is happy he doesn’t have to bend down to get his beer lol

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, marshhawk said:

Welcome @TAW1963.  Do you know about the musician Gregory Alan Isakov? He does a great song about Idaho.  The definition of his music is "dusty americana"

Thanks so much!  I have not heard of him, but I will definitely look him up now.   I grew up in Idaho, but then lived away for about 35 years.  Just moved back a few years ago to be close to family again.

Edited by TAW1963
  • Like 17

4 hours ago, Lady Hudson said:

Good morning and thanks to all who make this thread what it is — a great place to discuss cruises and whatever else strikes your fancy.  Though I have only traveled on a BHB a couple of times, I am really glad I discovered all of you early in our national nightmare — aka the Pandemic.

Our ship reaches Charleston today and we will go out to eat lunch.  A chance of showers but hope we miss them.  

Prayers for all in need and those on our care list.  Have a great Saturday.  Katherine 

Lady Hudson  it was a global/international pandemic, not just American.   

• Like 10

I must weigh in on the refrigerator discussion, when we built our new retirement home everyone told us to get the french door refrigerator with the freezer on the bottom.  I opted for the side to side and I am very glad I did. We have an inexpensive top freezer refrigerator in the garage.  If you have any sort of hip, knee, back issues my recommendation is to not get a bottom freezer.  

Marshhawk - what a sad day yesterday but you know that your beloved pet is now in a better place.  

All of us need to recognize that we need to take the time to care for ourselves so we can care for others.  Sending healing thoughts to all.

• Like 20

Good morning from Fortaleza. It has been raining a lot today.   I never thought this would happen but the day we did not book a tour the sad Sports 24 channel on the ship has a day of horse racing from Saudi Arabia with $30 million US in prize money.  We are having a betting contest that is progressive.  Right now our pot has about $60 in it at $10 per race. If no one wins $10 each gets added.  They worked on the AC this morning and I was afraid our perfect temperature would be ruined.   Now I am a bit chilly but there is plenty of room to make it warmer on our thermostat.  I am glad they are getting us ready for the Amazon. 

Thanks for all the contributions to make our Daily what it is and something to look forward to each day.  Prayers for all  needing them in our group and the people of Ukraine.  

Last night there was a medical emergency in the casino and John was right there as it was happening. A lady had passed out into her husband's arms just as John had sat down.  He asked if he could help but her DH said medical was already summoned.  The area was cleared and privacy barriers erected and she was carried out on a gurney. We were dining right next to them in the PG and the table was celebrating a birthday.  I hope that it was simply over indulgence.  We are missing some friends we see every day so I am hoping they are not in quarantine. I was talking to my neighbor this morning and she relayed that a couple of nights ago at dinner a diner at her table was summoned away by the Maitre d to report to medical.  Her roommate had just gone down for a Covid test. Many people wearing masks.  

Have a wonderful weekend!  Nancy 

IMG_20230225_075235935_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230225_074048056_HDR.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

Now, I can take my time commenting on the remaining posts.

@RMLincoln  Maureen, I forgot to add that I'm glad your DH is tolerating the eye drops better.  I wonder if the change of scenery could be part of the reason since you may have gotten away from some pollen that was causing the problem.  Just a guess.

@cruising sister  Lorraine, enjoy your visit to Las Vegas.  We've had to cancel our bookings several times over the past three years because we were still not comfortable during the worst of the pandemic.  Now, our favorite hotel has been sold and the offers we're getting for the other hotels in that group are not nearly as good.  The trip sounds like it will be good for you before you tackle the taxes and your DS estate.

@superoma  Eva, when we replaced our refrigerator several years ago, we got one with the freezer on the bottom because there were no side-by-sides that were big enough to fit the space.  I try to arrange the food in the bottom, but that only lasts a few days.  

@ger_77  Gerry, I'm glad you have heat and that the furnace was fixed promptly yesterday.  Enjoy you new, faster computer.

@marshhawk  Annie, you were smart to keep busy yesterday after such an emotional morning.  Remind Chuck that the vet who wants to cure all the pets said it was time for Neko to cross the Rainbow Bridge.  ((((HUGS))))

@HAL Sailer  Melissa, I'm glad you are giving yourself a day or two to relax while you recover emotionally from the last six months.

@MISTER 67  It was good to see you here again.  A belated HAPPY 77TH BIRTHDAY!

@ottahand7  Nancy, first thank you for the pictures, especially the one with the rainbow.  I'm sorry about the medical emergency, and the diner who's roommate was being tested for Covid.  Please wear your masks and stay well.  😷

Our refrigerator is is not a counter depth but it is next to the pantry so from that side it looks like counter depth.  On the other side it does stick out from the counter, but it is not a problem.  I like the French doors and we have water in ice in the door.  I just wish the ice container would hold more ice, and we opted to not get the second ice maker in the freezer since most of the time we need the space and not the extra ice.  BTW, ours is a GE.

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1