Reposted here, no responses on RCI transportation to Galveston.

Lionesss

• "Live from...."Rare
  • October 7, 2007
  • O-H-I-O

Looking for input on this service.

RCI busing to Galveston port from Bush Airport.

Especially where do they meet at the airport?

What time are the buses leaving the airport to go to port?

What was your experience?

Where do they drop you off at port?

Thanks 

I posted this at the Galveston Port site.

Hoping someone here has insight on RCI

Thank You

Have you already reserved the Royal shuttle?

If not here is a link with number to call their transportation dept.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/port-arrival-travel-options

After you collect your luggage you will follow the signs for transportation / shuttle buses.   You should then see a stand or podium set up to check in for the Royal shuttle. At least this is the norm with other airports.

29 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

The best answers regarding RC transportation would be to call RC transportation

23 minutes ago, clochette said:

for the people who say to call Royal directly, I did for transport from Hobby to Galveston and they were completely clueless and could not tell me anything, just you will see people there at the airport they will help you.

LOL, we have called RCI and that was a waste of time.

I have done that, as well as my TA on different days to different reps.

We have gotten anywhere from:

"I did not know we provided transportation to port"

"Look under excursions for information"

"There are 3 times, but they could change"

"We can book you, but you have to get to the podium to reserve your time.....so I asked where is the podium, and I got "In the airport, at one of the terminals",.......I go which one?  she goes, "check at the airport"

"Let me transfer you"..........now on hold for 30ish min.   after which I hung up.

So in essence I am looking for someone who has first hand experience in using this service.

Take care

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

LOL, we have called RCI and that was a waste of time.

I have done that, as well as my TA on different days to different reps.

We have gotten anywhere from:

"I did not know we provided transportation to port"

"Look under excursions for information"

"There are 3 times, but they could change"

"We can book you, but you have to get to the podium to reserve your time.....so I asked where is the podium, and I got "In the airport, at one of the terminals",.......I go which one?  she goes, "check at the airport"

"Let me transfer you"..........now on hold for 30ish min.   after which I hung up.

So in essence I am looking for someone who has first hand experience in using this service.

Take care

We didn’t use the service so can’t help with price (we booked with Galveston Express) but while we were waiting for our ride we saw the cruiseline shuttle people waiting.

This was at Terminal A. I don’t know if they have other locations but judging by the crowds probably not. The desk was in the terminal just inside the shuttle bus pick up door (WEST Exit Door A-114) 

My husband spoke with the representative briefly as he wondered at first if it was related to our shuttle.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

We didn’t use the service so can’t help with price (we booked with Galveston Express) but while we were waiting for our ride we saw the cruiseline shuttle people waiting.

This was at Terminal A. I don’t know if they have other locations but judging by the crowds probably not. The desk was in the terminal just inside the shuttle bus pick up door (WEST Exit Door A-114) 

My husband spoke with the representative briefly as he wondered at first if it was related to our shuttle.

Thank you,

This is the type of information I am looking for.

Be safe

• Like 1

Good info from Sunshine3601. Each terminal will have a pickup/drop off area. Terminal C will be the busiest as it is United’s main terminal. I have seen the desk located in Terminal C baggage claim where you check in for the bus.  

Have not yet booked; however, will need to for our Radiance cruise towards the end of April. DH calls Royal , gives our booking number and says he wants to add transportation from IAH to Galveston. Should be about $40.00 pp one way. 

We recently had to use the service from the port back to the airport (had to fly to catch the cruise) as our car was there. We requested to be dropped at Terminal C     As the bus approached the airport the driver announced which terminal would be first, etc. 

The state of affairs surrounding trans to and from the island is really pathetic.  I wrote letters to the city fathers about it.  Galveston and maybe the cruise lines as well should partner with Houston and Hobby and IAH to provide shuttle service to a train terminal and provide a spur over to the island, the tracks are there already, never heard back from them. At the very least Hertz and companies could provide places on island to turn in rentals on the weekend!  Nope!  Something about Galveston and their restrictions!  Those people are hard to work with.  Many island hotels will charge you for 2 nights instead of the 1 you really need, that is called price gouging!  Now live in Arkansas and we just drive down and park now.  If we have to stay overnight, it's always on the mainland.  Good luck! 

Edited by BecciBoo

1 hour ago, BecciBoo said:

The state of affairs surrounding trans to and from the island is really pathetic.  I wrote letters to the city fathers about it.  Galveston and maybe the cruise lines as well should partner with Houston and Hobby and IAH to provide shuttle service to a train terminal and provide a spur over to the island, the tracks are there already, never heard back from them. At the very least Hertz and companies could provide places on island to turn in rentals on the weekend!  Nope!  Something about Galveston and their restrictions!  Those people are hard to work with.  Many island hotels will charge you for 2 nights instead of the 1 you really need, that is called price gouging!  Now live in Arkansas and we just drive down and park now.  If we have to stay overnight, it's always on the mainland.  Good luck! 

Sorry you feel this way.

Galveston is an island with approximately 52,000 residents.  Transportation is private enterprise; not affordable or viable for a city to take on.  There is no passenger train and hasn't been for decades.  Even Amtrak has few passengers going east or west and is unreliable. The tracks are controlled by the railroads, not the City. Bus service stopped over a decade ago due to no riders.

Same with car rental, it is not economically feasible and a logistic nightmare.  Hertz made the decision to leave in 2008 due to economics.

Galveston is a destination, entertaining over 7 million visitors annually,  As with the majority of resort towns, minimum stays are required. Many have a 3 night minimum. as we recently discovered.  It's not price gouging, it is business.

Businesses know to perform due diligence to see if economically feasible and profitable.  The island being just of the mainland, does not meet the economic requirements for numerous entities. The City has nothing to do with what you are asking.  Just as cruise lines provide transportation ONLY on sailing days, not 7 days a week - economics!

Edited by Galveston Cruiser
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Passrider76 said:

Good info from Sunshine3601. Each terminal will have a pickup/drop off area. Terminal C will be the busiest as it is United’s main terminal. I have seen the desk located in Terminal C baggage claim where you check in for the bus.  

Have not yet booked; however, will need to for our Radiance cruise towards the end of April. DH calls Royal , gives our booking number and says he wants to add transportation from IAH to Galveston. Should be about $40.00 pp one way. 

We recently had to use the service from the port back to the airport (had to fly to catch the cruise) as our car was there. We requested to be dropped at Terminal C     As the bus approached the airport the driver announced which terminal would be first, etc. 

I knew shuttles always dropped off at various terminals on return. I wasn’t sure if there was a pick-up at each terminal for departure. Perhaps there is a meeting point in each terminal and the bus circles round the same?

The company we used was a much smaller business and offered several time options but only one designated pick-up area. There were a lot of people waiting for the cruise line shuttle.

It was for a repositioning cruise so we only wanted one-way transport. We parked at the airport for our return and shuttled down to the port. The lady at the desk did tell my husband that you couldn’t use the cruise line shuttle unless you had flown in. I am not sure if that is correct.

3 hours ago, Lionesss said:
  • "Live from...."Rare
  • October 7, 2007
  • O-H-I-O

Thanks 

Thank You

I'd ask @Ourusualbeach. He flew in and took rcl shuttle last nov. You can ask him on bellas cruise. He will know. He flew I to IAH.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lionesss said:
  • "Live from...."Rare
  • October 7, 2007
  • O-H-I-O

Thanks 

Thank You

image.thumb.png.b168b5d15038cd693c17f5b15daee125.png

2 hours ago, HicksRA said:

In your edocs, there will be a page with specific instructions on how, when and where to meet the shuttle person. 

We were permitted to book RCI Shuttle thru RCI.

But, did United on our own.

I hope we get instructions.

TY

3 hours ago, Galveston Cruiser said:

It's not price gouging, it is business.

Don't get your dander up, since you live there I understand your desire to defend, but I'm a Texas native also and have been visiting Galveston for 60+ years.  And that IS the way I feel.  I'm not the only one who feels Galveston natives can be difficult, there are plenty who will echo my sentiment.  I'm sure they are wonderful people and I understand the desire to protect ones' city from "tourists", but my original assessment stands, there is no reason to gouge folks for something they do not need.  I still think the rail spur is the answer for fliers whomever would fund it, or the car rentals, I'm not buying that when people could rent a car for a day and turn it in the next morning for as little as $50 they do it all the time in Florida.  I've done it myself (in Port Canaveral and Miami for as little as $39)...  But it's no skin off my nose.  I just stay in Texas City, drive in and park and I'm happy.  No offense meant at all, just telling it like it is IMHO

33 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Don't get your dander up, since you live there I understand your desire to defend, but I'm a Texas native also and have been visiting Galveston for 60+ years.  And that IS the way I feel.  I'm not the only one who feels Galveston natives can be difficult, there are plenty who will echo my sentiment.  I'm sure they are wonderful people and I understand the desire to protect ones' city from "tourists", but my original assessment stands, there is no reason to gouge folks for something they do not need.  I still think the rail spur is the answer for fliers whomever would fund it, or the car rentals, I'm not buying that when people could rent a car for a day and turn it in the next morning for as little as $50 they do it all the time in Florida.  I've done it myself (in Port Canaveral and Miami for as little as $39)...  But it's no skin off my nose.  I just stay in Texas City, drive in and park and I'm happy.  No offense meant at all, just telling it like it is IMHO

LOL

my dander isn’t up.  Just stating business facts.

BTW: cars turned in are not immediately placed back in service; typically 24 hours later.

i also happen to be in the tourism business!  

Edited by Galveston Cruiser

4 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

image.thumb.png.b168b5d15038cd693c17f5b15daee125.png

Is that a one-way fare? Is there a stipulation that you have to fly in and provide flight information to book it? In our case we were flying back into IAH after repositioning cruise and so we were parked at the airport but everyone using the shuttle would only be using it for a one-way trip.

Does a coach originate from each terminal or does it go round and pick up from different terminals?

26 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Is that a one-way fare? Is there a stipulation that you have to fly in and provide flight information to book it? In our case we were flying back into IAH after repositioning cruise and so we were parked at the airport but everyone using the shuttle would only be using it for a one-way trip.

Does a coach originate from each terminal or does it go round and pick up from different terminals?

Yes that is one way.  You don't have to provide flight options.  You can fly in the day before if you want snd make your way back to the airport and use Royals shuttle. 

You can also fly into one airport and out of another.  Lots of options. 

• Like 2

Before the Covid shut down we have rented a car in the DFW area and dropped it at Hobby to take the RCL shuttles to Galveston for a Trans Atlantic cruise.  At the time it was cheaper to rent a car than for both of us to fly the short hop flight to Hobby.

It was easy to find the RCL representative after entering the luggage area.  Good signage etc.  We just gave a flight number close to our planned arrival time because requiring a flight is stupid.  They still get paid for the transfer and you paid for the cruise, so you are customers.  The shuttles were in full sized buses, and since it was a repositioning cruise most people flew in one way to Houston.  Our complaint was that RCL (or their contractor) made every one of us wait in a congested area with limited seating for the last person to check in.  We waited over two hours in the terminal.  Even after they decided to board the buses, there was still a long wait because all the luggage had to be loaded on all the buses.  There was a lot of buses (8?) lined up.  When they were all filled, they all pulled away at the same time and proceeded to Galveston at the same time like a wagon train.  This meant they all hit the terminal and unloaded at the same time.  This was so stupid in MHO to make those with early flights wait until those with the latest flights and not fill and dispatch each bus as enough people became available.  Hopefully, the situation has improved by now.  I am only sharing this so that people will pack their patience if they have one of the first flights of the day.  On our upcoming TA from Galveston, we will probably be using Galveston Express unless it is a lot more expensive.  We have not tried it and know that it may not be any better.  I think the RCL transfer would have to better for a regular cruise than it was for a repo cruise in any case.