Humphry Slocombe

shepherd really

10 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Hate to say it but have lived in the SF Bay Area for almost 50 years and had never heard of it before reading about it here.    I did find they have one shop in the Mission District and another At Fisherman's Wharf. 

There's also a shop in the Ferry Building.

• Like 2

We found an almost pint size container of various Humphrey Slocumb ice cream in our local grocery store, a mere $8-9.  What a great way to get a Return On Investment 👍😇 when on Oceania ships. Now if I can find some Miso Glazed Chilean Sea Bass. 
ENJOY,

Mauibabes

• Haha 1

OMG, guess we all have different definitions and tastes and wallets but I don’t drop $9 for <pint for any ice cream so in my world, it is Premium. 🤪

As we travel, we do keep up the search for great gelato so that is my “vice”.

i do ENJOY my daily dose of a small scoop of HS whenever we are aboard. .

Mauibabes

• Like 2

14 hours ago, JDincalif said:

There's also a shop in the Ferry Building.

Hate to say it that after Iain retired we rarely get up to the City.  I may just have to stop off at Whole Foods and see what they have.   I was just there dropping off an Amazon package yesterday before I read you post. 

We were low on Ice Cream and I picked up some Haggen Dazs at Target.  Maybe we are boring but was just Vanilla.

Never saw such "bunch of babies" saying their ice cream is better than yours.  We all have opinions.   You may like this ice cream,  but there are equally many people, including me, who think it is terrible.  I actually asked one of the crew to taste it and they spit it out.  So if you like it, fine.  If you do not also fine. Stop belaboring the issue. There are more important things than whose ice cream is best.

• Haha 5

7 hours ago, clo said:

Are you far from the train? 

Yes less than a 15 minute walk.   Just don't get up to the City much since Iain retired.  

Having said that -  Last year we did a B2B on Celebrity  California Coastal and had 2 over nights in SF.    On one we went home for lunch and change out some of our wardrobe but on the next we met friends for dinner.  

Sometime it's fun to play in your own back yard.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

On one we went home for lunch and change out some of our wardrobe but on the next we met friends for dinner.  

How fun! Makes a great story. We hope to get down there before terribly long.

13 hours ago, clo said:

How fun! Makes a great story. We hope to get down there before terribly long.

In my last life (pre-retirement) I use to do Consulting in ERP Order Management Software and was managing an install at Dairygold in Seattle.   

I would fly in on Sunday nights and come home on Friday.   I have some very fond memories of Seattle.  

My apartment on Ellis over looked Pier 66.   Wonderful views and I never pulled my drapes.   One morning I cam out of the shower only to discover a Cruise Ship parked in my living room.     I had to crawl across the floor to pull my shades. 

• Haha 3

43 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

In my last life (pre-retirement) I use to do Consulting in ERP Order Management Software and was managing an install at Dairygold in Seattle.   

I would fly in on Sunday nights and come home on Friday.   I have some very fond memories of Seattle.  

My apartment on Ellis over looked Pier 66.   Wonderful views and I never pulled my drapes.   One morning I cam out of the shower only to discover a Cruise Ship parked in my living room.     I had to crawl across the floor to pull my shades. 

That's totally hilarious!!!

PS: Dungeness crab season has just begun!

• Like 1

Just now, clo said:

That's totally hilarious!!!

PS: Dungeness crab season has just begun!

Same down here.    Was really late this year.   I have yet to have one.   My favorite is a place in the Sunset with an incredible Garlic Crab. 

32 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Same down here.    Was really late this year.   I have yet to have one.   My favorite is a place in the Sunset with an incredible Garlic Crab. 

Here's one in the Outer Sunset that's related to Crustacean on Polk. We've only eaten at the latter and that's been many years ago. But so good.

https://www.sfgate.com/food/article/sf-thanh-long-garlic-noodles-17751623.php

10 minutes ago, clo said:

Here's one in the Outer Sunset that's related to Crustacean on Polk. We've only eaten at the latter and that's been many years ago. But so good.

https://www.sfgate.com/food/article/sf-thanh-long-garlic-noodles-17751623.php

Touch down... that's our favorite place.    I think they have been there for 50 years.   I'm drooling.   I actually didn't remember the name but know where it is on 46th Avenue and Judah.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Strictly in the interest of Science, and with a valorous effort to "take one for the team", I have tried several flavors of Humphry Slocombe on my current cruise. My key metric is "is it worth the calories"?

Elvis The Fat Years - how they are able to make all of the key components (peanut brittle, banana, bacon) shine individually and yet remain in perfect harmony is remarkable. I can see how some people might not like it, but for me it's 9/10. Worth the calories, obviously.

Summer Sweet Corn - again, probably not to everyone's taste but wonderful and evident corn flavor, and I'd go back for it again . . . and did. 8/10 and worth the calories.

Toast and Jam - eh, IMO needed more jam flavor. 5/10, not worth the calories.

I did not try a couple of others that have been served on this cruise as I have had them before, and can get them anytime at the nearby grocery store.

Black Sesame - good, but not my favorite. 6/10 and not worth the calories

Secret Breakfast - YOWZA! 10/10 and worth risking a heart attack. Note that they make a similar flavor without the bourbon (identical, maybe?).

Like the flavors or not, I simply don't see how anyone could possibly claim that HS is not a "premium" ice cream.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, JYDCruise said:

Strictly in the interest of Science, and with a valorous effort to "take one for the team", I have tried several flavors of Humphry Slocombe on my current cruise. My key metric is "is it worth the calories"?

Elvis The Fat Years - how they are able to make all of the key components (peanut brittle, banana, bacon) shine individually and yet remain in perfect harmony is remarkable. I can see how some people might not like it, but for me it's 9/10. Worth the calories, obviously.

Summer Sweet Corn - again, probably not to everyone's taste but wonderful and evident corn flavor, and I'd go back for it again . . . and did. 8/10 and worth the calories.

I did not try a couple of others that have been served on this cruise as I have had them before, and can get them anytime at the nearby grocery store.

Secret Breakfast - YOWZA! 10/10 and worth risking a heart attack. Note that they make a similar flavor without the bourbon (identical, maybe?).

Like the flavors or not, I simply don't see how anyone could possibly claim that HS is not a "premium" ice cream.

Pretty much in agreement with your take on them. There were a couple more I really enjoyed also. 

15 minutes ago, JYDCruise said:

They all sound ‘horrific’!

But, in saying that I’m not an ice cream lover so maybe they will all sound ‘iffy’ to me.

ENJOY!

• Like 1

And this is another example of how food is so subjective.....people love HS and people don't like it all.   We need to try something at least once and then make our own opinion of how it rates for our taste.  The old adage of parents - you need to take at least 3 bites and then tell me if you like it or not!

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, JYDCruise said:

Agreed on our recent Vista cruise i sampled every flavor and found them interesting unique and well worth the indulgence 

• Like 1

On 1/26/2024 at 7:53 AM, stevesol6718 said:

Tries all flavors.  Terrible.  Not a premium ice cream.  Should have Haagen Daas instead

On 2/5/2024 at 11:18 AM, stevesol6718 said:

Never saw such "bunch of babies" saying their ice cream is better than yours.  We all have opinions.   You may like this ice cream,  but there are equally many people, including me, who think it is terrible.  I actually asked one of the crew to taste it and they spit it out.  So if you like it, fine.  If you do not also fine. Stop belaboring the issue. There are more important things than whose ice cream is best.

1 hour ago, stevesol6718 said:

Not worth the calories?  Not worth the effort.  Contrary to all the Slocombe lovers, in MY opiniion, it is terrible.

(emphasis added)

"Stop belaboring the issue" . . . and yet, here you are with 3 out of your 22 posts. 🤣 🤣🤣 And as for the "bunch of babies" comment, well . . .

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JYDCruise said:

Please elaborate on Secret Breakfast. Bourbon good, but what are the other ingredients?