Medical Cannabis (Holland, Ft. Lauderdale, next week)

BostonBoy2

We are about to go on our first cruise (Holland America out of Ft. Lauderdale next week) We fly Boston to Ft. Lauderdale, cruise, then reverse flights.

My wife depends on medical cannabis quite a bit, and is worried about not being able to bring it. (To be clear, she has a Massachusetts "medical marijuana card").

I know this is not permitted (despite the fact that medical marijuana is legal in both Mass. and FL.  A quick Internet search warns that the cruise lines don't tolerate this.

However, the risk seems exceptionally low My wife uses gummies (edibles), so there is no smoke or odor. In fact, I can't perceive any cannabis odor from the gummies themselves. To be safe we could wrap the gummies in some manner to reduce odor even further. Unless our bags are searched in depth or a pot-smelling dog was present, the risk of getting caught seems miniscule. And, I can't believe that thousands of people don't do this every day (especially out of U.S. ports), and that the cruises don't just look the other way.

Please share your thoughts or experiences. Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't risk it because dogs are routinely used at many ports. You don't mention your itinerary but I know that for some ports (like Bermuda) if they authorities find anything it's not just losing the rest of the cruise that is at stake, it's also being taken into custody and being charged. The risk might be low but the consequences can be high (no pun intended there, I promise🤭). DW also makes use of edibles and I make sure that she leaves them behind.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BostonBoy2 said:

We are about to go on our first cruise (Holland America out of Ft. Lauderdale next week) We fly Boston to Ft. Lauderdale, cruise, then reverse flights.

My wife depends on medical cannabis quite a bit, and is worried about not being able to bring it. (To be clear, she has a Massachusetts "medical marijuana card").

I know this is not permitted (despite the fact that medical marijuana is legal in both Mass. and FL.  A quick Internet search warns that the cruise lines don't tolerate this.

However, the risk seems exceptionally low My wife uses gummies (edibles), so there is no smoke or odor. In fact, I can't perceive any cannabis odor from the gummies themselves. To be safe we could wrap the gummies in some manner to reduce odor even further. Unless our bags are searched in depth or a pot-smelling dog was present, the risk of getting caught seems miniscule. And, I can't believe that thousands of people don't do this every day (especially out of U.S. ports), and that the cruises don't just look the other way.

Please share your thoughts or experiences. Thanks in advance.

The key thing is that you're taking them into the territorial limits of another country and, as @sparks1093 has pointed out, some of those countries come looking for those that might have broken their laws.

• Like 3

So you are fully aware that what you are planning is against cruise line rules, US Federal law, and against the law in many other countries. And you are willing to allow your wife to face the penalties if she is caught. Because it is she, not you, who would face whatever penalties  that resulted after a sniffer dog got close, or an inspector wanted to open her bag. Trying to hide it would just make the consequences worse. I'm not sure why you would think that anyone is "looking the other way", or why US ports are different to others.

Your wife should consult her health care provider for an alternate medication for the length of her travels.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fruitmachine said:

The key thing is that you're taking them into the territorial limits of another country and, as @sparks1093 has pointed out, some of those countries come looking for those that might have broken their laws.

Actually, the key thing is that the ship has zero tolerance for drugs that are illegal in the flag country, by maritime regulation.  Even HAL, whose flag state of Holland has decriminalized marijuana, does not allow it on their ships, as they must meet IMO regulations.  So, whether the ship went to all countries where it was legal, it is not legal on the ship.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mom says said:

So you are fully aware that what you are planning is against cruise line rules, US Federal law, and against the law in many other countries. And you are willing to allow your wife to face the penalties if she is caught. Because it is she, not you, who would face whatever penalties  that resulted after a sniffer dog got close, or an inspector wanted to open her bag. Trying to hide it would just make the consequences worse. I'm not sure why you would think that anyone is "looking the other way", or why US ports are different to others.

Your wife should consult her health care provider for an alternate medication for the length of her travels.

Well, the reason I don't think this is a big deal/risk is because it seems that almost everyone in the U.S. is high on cannabis these days. With tens of thousands of people (many of them young) going on and off all these massive cruise ships every week, I have a hard time believing that many of them are not bringing cannabis on board. It's just a matter of statistics + human behavior. 

4 hours ago, BostonBoy2 said:

Well, the reason I don't think this is a big deal/risk is because it seems that almost everyone in the U.S. is high on cannabis these days. With tens of thousands of people (many of them young) going on and off all these massive cruise ships every week, I have a hard time believing that many of them are not bringing cannabis on board. It's just a matter of statistics + human behavior. 

So, what exactly are you asking in this thread?  Are you just looking for support in what would be a criminal act and a violation of cruise line policy?  I doubt you'll find much of that here.  

• Like 3

Yes - I'm looking for: "this is no big deal. Everyone does it - as in millions of people bring cannabis onto these cruise ships every year without incident. You should just do it, and not worry about it."

That is exactly what I'm looking for.

21 minutes ago, BostonBoy2 said:

Yes - I'm looking for: "this is no big deal. Everyone does it - as in millions of people bring cannabis onto these cruise ships every year without incident. You should just do it, and not worry about it."

Everybody may do something illegal but that doesn't mean that everybody gets away with it every single time.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BostonBoy2 said:

Doubtful you are going to find that. It's a big deal. Don't do it. Or do it, but don't expect sympathy if you get caught and have to suffer the consequences.

• Like 1

This is sort of a response to the OP although he may not have this attitude.  Many cruising and traveling  Americans feel that just because they are Americans they are protected by American law or regulations outside of the country.  Marijuana is one example.  Handicapped access is another.  Gun rights are still another.  When you leave the country you are covered by the laws of whatever country you are in.  I am not sure exactly which country's law cover you when you are on a cruise ship but I am reasonably certain that it is not American laws.  With regard to the OP's effort to bring and use marijuana on the cruise ship and perhaps off the cruise ship he does this at his own risk.  I do think that he realizes this.

I do think that his comment that "it seems that almost everyone in the U.S. is high on cannabis these days." is just a little bit of an exaggeration.  

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

I am not sure exactly which country's law cover you when you are on a cruise ship but I am reasonably certain that it is not American laws. 

That's actually a very complicated issue because depending on the circumstances, the ship and/or passengers could be subject to U.S. law, flag state law, law of the country's waters the ship is located, or even in some cases, state law.  In this particular case, he could very well be arrested by U.S. authorities.  

• Like 1