Increase in Hotel and Dining Service Charge (aka Auto-Gratuities)

bluemarble

I just noticed this on a Cunard FAQ for travel agents. The FAQ entry is dated 02 March 2023.

"Following a review, Cunard will increase the Hotel and Dining Service Charge amount by $3.00 for all stateroom grades for the fleet from April 2023

From April 2023 the amounts will be as follows:

Queens and Princess Grill Suites $16.50 per person per night
Britannia Staterooms $14.50 per person per night"

• Like 2

As a matter of principle you should only be charged  gratuities at the rate quoted when you booked. 

Increases should only apply to future bookings.

We are getting on ship in April and haven't been told any thing. I will pay what was quoted when we booked.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

As a matter of principle you should only be charged  gratuities at the rate quoted when you booked. 

Increases should only apply to future bookings.

We are getting on ship in April and haven't been told any thing. I will pay what was quoted when we booked.

Generally, when a cruise line increases their Service Fees, if you have paid for them at time of booking, or before the rate increase, you will be grandfathered in to the lower rate. If you have not paid for them, you will pay the higher rate. For most lines, they will make an announcement that "service fees are increasing to $xx.xx on X date" and to avoid this increase in cost, you are able to pay your service fee at the lower rate before that announced date. 

2 hours ago, terry&mike said:

Generally, when a cruise line increases their Service Fees, if you have paid for them at time of booking, or before the rate increase, you will be grandfathered in to the lower rate. If you have not paid for them, you will pay the higher rate. For most lines, they will make an announcement that "service fees are increasing to $xx.xx on X date" and to avoid this increase in cost, you are able to pay your service fee at the lower rate before that announced date. 

In UK and most of Europe, the  law is different. If service charges/ gratuities were compulsory , then they would have to be included in the up-front price quoted and be part of the contract. If they are not , the must be voluntary. 

So in UK you have the right to opt out , or to pay whatever you like. But you must make effort to opt out.

In Germany, Switzerland and Austria, Cunard can only apply service charge if you opt in.  For passengers booking in these countries there is a letter in their cabin as they board asking if they want to give something extra to staff and the $×× is suggested.

Personally I've always thought gratuities should be incorporated into the price. 

However under the present system I believe you "agree" to pay the gratuities at the rate quoted when you book. In the same way you agree to the price when you book. That means excluding extras, you  know exactly what the cruise will cost when you book, that constitutes a fair contract.

16 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I just noticed this on a Cunard FAQ for travel agents. The FAQ entry is dated 02 March 2023.

"Following a review, Cunard will increase the Hotel and Dining Service Charge amount by $3.00 for all stateroom grades for the fleet from April 2023

Thank you for posting on CC, but the increase is actually negligible.

30 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

That surely depends on the length of the cruise. Anyway, $3 on €11.50 is a 25% + increase, which doesn’t seem negligible to me.

• Like 6

In UK and most of Europe, the  law is different. If service charges/ gratuities were compulsory , then they would have to be included in the up-front price quoted and be part of the contract. If they are not , the must be voluntary. 

So in UK you have the right to opt out , or to pay whatever you like. But you must make effort to opt out.

In Germany, Switzerland and Austria, Cunard can only apply service charge if you opt in.  For passengers booking in these countries there is a letter in their cabin as they board asking if they want to give something extra to staff and the $×× is suggested.

Personally I've always thought gratuities should be incorporated into the price. 

However under the present system I believe you "agree" to pay the gratuities at the rate quoted when you book. In the same way you agree to the price when you book. That means excluding extras, you  know exactly what the cruise will cost when you book, that constitutes a fair contract.

I have looked in the paper brochure in operation when I booked the latest cruise. It explains about hotel and dining charges on page 183, and does not mention the rates are liable to change that I can see. Admittedly, it is no surprise in the circumstances.

3 hours ago, terry&mike said:

True but it’s also a cash grab for cruise line

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

I agree it's negligible,  but the principle  that you agree to a cost when you book , applies whether it's an extra cent a day or hundred dollars a day. 

16 hours ago, bluemarble said:

It's about time the Grills charge was split due to the simple fact that Queens Grill receive a Butler Service plus an enhanced dining service with 'off menu' ordering. 

Slap another $2.00 on the Queens seems appropriate.

😈

• Like 3

Well I never knew that about Germany. 

As for your 'incorporated' remark, all I can say is it certainly hasn't affected P&O's business since they went down that route.

21 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

I agree it's negligible,  but the principle  that you agree to a cost when you book , applies whether it's an extra cent a day or hundred dollars a day. 

Agree with the principle 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2023 at 2:53 PM, PORT ROYAL said:

In your opinion it might not be and to be charged £400 for a 14 my cruise for a couple is a substantial amount. Plus there is also the charge of 15% service charge on drinks which no doubt might also increase.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Would never dream of leaving a tip/gratuity on a 14 nt land based holiday in a hotel of £400 so why should a cruise line be any different seeing that staff do exactly the same.

One is always generous with discreet gratuities to all parts on a land stay.

With regard to cruising, it is what it is, so we just leave the daily in place and spread a little sunshine.

• Like 2

I'm glad some people think the increase is negligible, but for others it may well be the straw that  breaks the camel's back.  It's surely now time that the gratuities are included in the price of the cruise and then we will know exactly what the cost of the holiday is.  I'm also wondering when Cunard will tell us of the increase as we have two cruises booked, one in July and the other in December.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

One is always generous with discreet gratuities to all parts on a land stay.

With regard to cruising, it is what it is, so we just leave the daily in place and spread a little sunshine.

Well you are very lucky to be in that privileged position not all of us are.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, babs135 said:

I'm glad some people think the increase is negligible, but for others it may well be the straw that  breaks the camel's back.  It's surely now time that the gratuities are included in the price of the cruise and then we will know exactly what the cost of the holiday is.  I'm also wondering when Cunard will tell us of the increase as we have two cruises booked, one in July and the other in December.

Which is why the approach to such a subject is completely personal and each to their own but as long as there's no mud slinging either way, it's objectively interesting to read all viewpoints.

I too would welcome grats. to be included in the holiday price.

• Like 4