Internet on New Crystal ships

FLcruiser2011

Does anyone know whether New Crystal is going to have Starlink Internet on Serenity and Symphony when they return to service this summer?  A number of cruise lines are signing up for this, and it would be GREAT if Crystal was going to have this higher-speed internet on its ships as well.

30 minutes ago, FLcruiser2011 said:

Does anyone know whether New Crystal is going to have Starlink Internet on Serenity and Symphony when they return to service this summer?  A number of cruise lines are signing up for this, and it would be GREAT if Crystal was going to have this higher-speed internet on its ships as well.

I Wouldn’t get too excited. Reviews are mixed so far.

Well, as long as you are in sea lanes that are covered by Musk's little satellites, it is far better than anything that existed before.  I've been using (or trying to use) internet from cruise ships from the days when you had to go to guest relations and swap out your phone for one with a modem, and Starlink is by far the best option yet.

1 hour ago, FLcruiser2011 said:

Well, as long as you are in sea lanes that are covered by Musk's little satellites, it is far better than anything that existed before.  I've been using (or trying to use) internet from cruise ships from the days when you had to go to guest relations and swap out your phone for one with a modem, and Starlink is by far the best option yet.

And Starlink promises 100% coverage of this blue spheroid immediately if not sooner.  I'm not a fan of Elon Musk, but on this one I think he has hit a home run.  [As with all his businesses, it remains to be seen if it is viable longterm.  But in the short-mid term Starlink should provide amazingly fast connections everywhere any ship can go – even if these little satellites only have a lifespan of 5 years, that's the 5 years I care about most!]

14 hours ago, FLcruiser2011 said:

It would be great. I have experienced Starlink in my last cruise on an Azamara ship. The cruise was to the Patagonia and the Falklands. Remote places actually. Internet connection was great at speeds that we do not even get at hime with our local provider.

Ivi

• Like 1

I would suspect that if this was sure to happen they'd be advertising it. So I would assume the internet infrastructure on the ships is not being updated or any plans to do so aren't finalized.

So far, they don't seem to be holding anything back. Seems pretty likely that they were trying to finalize the details on Umi Uma, for instance, and announced it as soon as they could. So I would presume the same here.

I suppose OneWeb is another possibility, though I have not yet heard of any cruise line trying it.  They have said they plan to market to shipping.  News below is from Bloomberg today.

OneWeb Ltd. launched the final 36 satellites of its initial 616-satellite “constellation,” allowing the rival of Elon Musk’s Starlink to offer global broadband coverage this year.

OneWeb now has enough fast-flying spacecraft in orbit to offer broadband to businesses and government customers in the lower 48 US states in May, and ultimately global coverage by the end of 2023.

The launch took place in Sriharikota, an island off the southern Indian state of Andhra Pradesh. It concludes a tumultuous chapter for the satellite venture that was founded a decade ago by serial space entrepreneur Greg Wyler. 

Just an fyi -- Starlink is being rolled out on all the Silversea ships.  I cannot imagine that every other luxury line will not follow.  For many, especially folks who still work, connectivity is as important as food.

• Like 2

Works well -- using it at home now  🙂

Just a caution -- whatever happens it will occur slowing as everyone is making a big to do about Starlink.   Musk always over promises and under delivers.   He is putting into orbit his new laser linked satellites which make internet at sea possible -- as you need a ground station to talk with.

We have it at home and our area is over capacity and no new customers being allowed through 2023.

RCL seems to be the quickest -- including SS.

Carnival seems to be the slowest with only two lines having it.  Seabourn not yet (shucks)

Windstar has it as do some of the specialty expedition lines.

NCL just starting...

With all of the cruise switching to Star Link, maybe EMC's classic satellites will be less overloaded, which has been one issue.