The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday March 26th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

Good morning everyone and happy third anniversary of this thread!  I hope we all live long and prosper.  I’ll have to add spinach to today’s menu.  I love Mark Twain’s quote.  I’ll pass on the meal today but will add that yesterday’s salmon with strawberry relish was delicious.  I haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for everyone on the prayer list.  Cheers to all celebrating happy events today like us!🍾🥂🎉

• Like 21

Good morning everyone and congratulations for starting such a wonderful place to wake up to most days for me!     Sandi thanks for starting us each days as @richwmn enjoys his world cruise.   Roy thank you for giving us newbies a more complete history of the genesis of the group.  All the comestibles are winners today and thank you for researching these for us each day,    @luvteaching Prayers for your DH.  

@JazzyV thank you for keeping our celebrations and care list each day.   Prayers for the people of Ukraine, Mississippi and West Reading, PA.   

@StLouisCruisers, @marshhawk and @lindaler praying that those severe storms predicted for Alabama and Georgia pass you by.  

My DS is coming over for ribs tonight and will give us more time to share our adventures on the Volendam.    Have a wonderful Sunday!   Nancy 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good morning,

I slept in today and woke up to a sunny day. My eyes are blinded by the bright ball in the sky that has been avoiding us. Unfortunately it won’t last long. I am glad to have found this thread and will celebrate its anniversary whatever the  date it is. 

I have totally given up on the splint and am doing ok. I hope everyone’s else’s health challenges are improving. It unfortunately takes longer the older we get. 

Off to do some laundry. I found the quick wash setting on my new machine which has saved me tons of time. The new washers cycles are so long. I don’t have kids with filthy laundry at home anymore so I don’t need the heavy duty wash. 

Have a great Sunday. 

• Like 22

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Happy 3rd Anniversary of the Fleet Report and Daily; may it continue long into the future! What an amazing group of friends we have become, cheering each other on, giving soft shoulders to lean on, offering advice and commiserating with sorrows.  I honestly don't know of any group quite like this one.   I think all of us hope to live long and prosper, with or without Star Trek.  If I'm making up my own holiday, it's Eat Your Favourite Dessert and Don't Gain Weight Day.  While I don't hate spinach, I prefer to leave it to people with bulging muscles who smoke a little pipe.

It's nice getting up in the morning and seeing hints of daylight peeking over the houses across the street.  It's also nice sitting at the kitchen table having dinner with sunshine streaming through the window - maybe spring is really coming???   I like today's quote, and am pretty sure today's drink suggestion could almost qualify as health food - the vitamin C in the strawberries keeps you healthy while the alcohol kills the germs, just like my rationalization of drinking strawberry margaritas on a BHB.  

Special thoughts go out to @luvteaching's DH, hoping he had a good night.

@marshhawkI'm sorry I forgot to reply to your post a couple of days ago, but you know, you'd always be welcome at our table, kitchen, dining or on the deck any time!  And here is the website for the video DH produced for you to watch again:

https://riverlandsheritageregion.ca/

I hadn't realized the terrible tornado damage that occurred in Mississippi and Alabama until I saw the news yesterday afternoon - unbelievable devastation!  My heart goes out to everyone affected by that storm cell.  Although we have to put up with stupid cold, it's very rare that we ever have tornados in the area.  There are distinct advantages to living on the "frozen tundra".

Not a lot on our agenda today, so I think it's a good time to pick up a few dozen hot cross buns and drop them off to various friends around the city.  We do that every year, just for fun, to bring a nice little sweet treat and have a quick visit before we go on to the next house.  

I like today's menu suggestion and will be using it the next time I make chicken strips; I'm sure they'd do well in the air fryer.  We each brought home a full piece of schnitzel  last night, so we'll be enjoying that along with parmesan potatoes and green beans at the dinner table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Since today is Have your Own Holiday Day, I think we should all celebrate.  Since our family here comes from multiple countries and different areas of the world, we want to be inclusive, so no one feels left out.  Please join with me in celebrating World Wide Holiday Day.  There will be fireworks, wine, great food, dancing, music, or absolutely nothing at all.  It is everyone's holiday, so you decide what you want, and then enjoy your Holiday today.

• Like 25

Good Morning from a sunny and warm day at the beach

A very Happy Anniversary to 3 years for this thread!  I dont post every day  but I do read it. I think this post helped keep my sanity during those dark days of the pandemic. Even though I have never met any of you, I feel like you are all my friends. 

Been very busy the last few days and several appointments in the next week. That time of year!

We had 15 for dinner last night, so today will be leftovers. 

@luvteaching Sorry to hear about DH, I will keep you both in my prayers. Take care of yourself .

Have to go finish cleaning up.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 20

Happy Anniversary and many thanks to all the contributors to the Daily. 

@luvteaching Glad your DH is being cared for where he needs to be. And that you got home to rest. Please take care of yourself through this. It is a privilege to walk with our spouses. I’m sure he is very grateful for you!  We will be with you. 🙏  It was nice to hear how helpful your EMTs and Fire Chief are!  Thanks for sharing that. (Years ago I spent 1 night in ICU with DH, then an EMT friend gave me a key to their house nearby. Better than my 90 min drive.). Please be extra cautious and keep focused on your driving to Bellingham. 

@grapau27 Graham, Thanks for Fr David’s sermon. (We’re laying low these day, staying home, trying not to jeopardize the surgery plan.) 

Thanks Vanessa @JazzyVfor including us on the care list. Tomorrow we should get information on surgery time and last instructions. I wish they would do that earlier!  I hate having to wait till the last day. (…still working on letting go of things out of my control…) 

@mamaofami Carol I hope you can get to the clinic tomorrow to have your eye checked. Sending out blessings to you and them. 

Blessings to all in need of healing, comfort or hope. 

Cheers to all celebrating and cruising. 

Time for me to go help DH with eye drops!  Maureen

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cruise Suzy said:

I had March 16 as the first Daily, but that could be typo. International Dailyites Day is a GREAT day to celebrate - whenever it is.

I am sure you are correct. I used “Make up Your Own Holiday” day from a couple years ago to creat the “1st Annual International Dailyites” holiday. This should NOT be confused with the birth of the Daily. This is the 3rd anniversary of the Holiday, NOT the Daily.

I did not mean to cause this confusion. Sorry. 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and Happy Maybe Sorta Birthday.  Whichever date, I'll take it!

It was fun looking over those first threads.  I sure couldn't find them when I did a search.  There must be magic here!

Along with everyone already mentioned for their contributions, many thanks to@StLouisCruisersand @Quartzsite Cruiser for all of their amazing port photos.  It takes time to download all those photos, and it's so generous of them to share their vast travel experience with us.  Of course, many thanks to all who have shared destination photos, and contributions of all kinds, but these two fine ladies have really been reliable.

Thinking of all of you today with gratitude and wishing everyone a very fine Sunday.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you for getting us started Sandi! It was “Make up Your Own Holiday” day a couple years ago that inspired the 1st Annual International Dailyites Day! I think it had actually started a bit earlier, but not sure. And a huge thanks to Rich for creating this great place!

Vanessa, thank you for keeping our lists. It is already 68, but it is still so dark I am not sure what the sky looks like. We had a brief, but strong T-storm last night.  Off to the gym, then Aldi, Bindi walks, plant hunting and definitely some pool time will round out my day. 

08C0D46C-983A-4B78-B1CC-2CDC9F457EF5.jpeg.eb17dcc3ebdf8e546a9af196f6b6a474.jpeg

8BD08A5A-E341-4EB2-AB01-32A0041913DE.jpeg.0b9cb226b7ffc4faa6eb5e2f8cdf7cc1.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Get well & stay well everyone!

Miraval Rosé 2021, Cotes de Provence, France

I would love a taste of this rosé, since I prefer dry rosés.  I used the 2021 vintage info, since that should be easy to find, but all released vintages share the same excellent ratings. Numerous online distributors with prices starting at $16.95.

Winemaker Notes

Attractive bright and translucent color, a typical Provencal pale pink. The nose immediately reveals all the elegance of this Miraval Rosé with its superb aromatic bouquet delicately combining fresh fruit, freshly cut currants, and roses seasoned with a zest of lemon. The refinement continues on the palate with an ample, rich, and gourmet texture, perfectly balanced by the natural acidity and minerality with saline and limestone notes specific to Miraval, which continue in a long finish. A typical Miraval vintage with signature flavors.
WE92 Wine Enthusiast
Now jointly owned by Brad Pitt and the Stoli Group of vodka fame, this estate is run by the Perrin family of Châteauneuf-du-Pape. This is an impressive rosé, elegant with finely balanced fruit and texture. Citrus and raspberries shine through a taut structure. The aftertaste is crisp and fresh.
TP91 Tasting Panel

Super-pale, juicy, and dry, with good acid structure.

WS90 Wine Spectator
Pure and chiseled in feel, with racy-edged white cherry, rose petal, jicama and jasmine notes backed by a lingering wet stone accent on the finish. This has length and subtleties that set it apart from the pack. Cinsault, Grenache, Rolle and Tibouren.

Try taking a calculus test using an abacus! The best way to describe it is S&G song, “Slip, Sliding, Away”!

• Like 3
  • Haha 11

16 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

This should NOT be confused with the birth of the Daily. This is the 3rd anniversary of the Holiday, NOT the Daily.

Got it. Today is International Dailyites Day and 3/16 is Daily Anniversary Day. Duh! Some days it takes longer to be fully awake than others!

• Like 18
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

I show the first 'Daily" actually was March 16, 2020.  The only addition at the time was the list of days.  I know it was Fleet Locations on March 18 but most days it was "The Daily AKA the Fleet Report":

Rich took out the feeler on Fleet Locations April 27, 2019 but had no takers:

His first actual Fleet report was April 28:

Other milestones in the Daily:

April 5, 2020: First Meal Suggestion and quote

June 23, 2020: First wine suggestion

July 9, 2020: My first suntise

July 10, 2020: First care list

July 27, 2020: First wine review by @cat shepard

August 5, 2020: First alternative meal

August 8: 2020 First shoutout list

September 1, 2020 First Drink AND Drink Review

I'm not sure but I think Debbie's first meal review was 12/7/21

Roy

Wow, Roy!  I went back and checked and I think I started posting recipes back in February of 2021.  I wasn't doing pictures at first, just a link to the recipe.  I know I was doing them in September of 2021 because @kazu Jacqui stepped in for me while I was on my Alaskan cruise.  It was the summer of 2020 when we had that wonderful tomato pie recipe.  I think that is what got me interested in the Meal of the Day.  Maybe 12/7/20?   

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Not looking to start anything here, but we have a weird plumbing issue.  Last night the drain in the laundry room backed up after Sue gave River a bath.  The water did drain down and I used Clorox to clean it up.  We tested the toilets - no backup.  We tested the upstairs tub - no back up.   We tested the kitchen sink - no backup.  We tested the dishwasher - no back up.  This morning Sue took a shower and the drain backed up, so it is an issue with the downstairs tub.  We snaked both of them and we're now testing the washing machine.  So far, so good.  Let's hope we solved the problem.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 6

Good morning. Happy International Dailyites Day, with special thanks to @richwmn!

I started posting here on Dec 31, 2020, although I'd been reading and lurking for months before that.

As a long time Star Trek fan, I will salute the Vulcan greeting "live long and prosper". We have our own Dailyite holiday today! I'm not a big spinach person. Interesting quote. The meal sounds good as well as the drink. Pass on the wine.

I haven't been to Praia.

Things are getting back to normal here. Some places had trees down and into houses, unfortunately. Lots of power outages, around 100,000 people. A friend was out until this morning, so I was lucky mine was only 2.5 hours. Today is sunny and thankfully the winds have died down. I was confused when I turned on the TV this morning for the local news and the M-F anchor and weather person were on; I thought is it Monday? I guess due to vacations or something.

@StLouisCruisers  Thank you for starting us up today. Scary sounding weather, with hopefully no damage.

@grapau27 I appreciate you sharing Fr. David's sermon today. 

@rafinmd I like your alternative meal.

@mamaofami Happy 21st Birthday to your DGS Jeremy! 

@kazu Good luck with the hanging baskets, and thanks for today's memes.

@dfish Welcome back to the Meal of the Day! Like you, I think the 3rd recipe is the one for me. I hope you can get the drain issue straightened out.

@cruising sister I'm glad you're doing ok without the splint.

@ger_77 I love your made-up holiday!

@luvteaching So sorry to hear DH is in the ICU. Many prayers for his improvement and recovery, and for you as well..

@Quartzsite Cruiser Yikes on the pothole damaging your tire yesterday. 

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Be well everyone.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

16 minutes ago, dfish said:

Not looking to start anything here, but we have a weird plumbing issue.  Last night the drain in the laundry room backed up after Sue gave River a bath.  The water did drain down and I used Clorox to clean it up.  We tested the toilets - no backup.  We tested the upstairs tub - no back up.   We tested the kitchen sink - no backup.  We tested the dishwasher - no back up.  This morning Sue took a shower and the drain backed up, so it is an issue with the downstairs tub.  We snaked both of them and we're now testing the washing machine.  So far, so good.  Let's hope we solved the problem.

We didn't solve it.  A load of laundry caused a back up.  So, on to calling a plumber tomorrow.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 11

Back from church an I’m amazed at how many can recall initial dates etc. Sandi I hope your safe as I just received news update that a tornado had destroyed some homes in Georgia this morning.

Yesterday I made spaghetti and meatballs and brought a plate to my neighbor whose wife is away. His wife bought him some TV dinners to get him through her two week absence. I believe he would have trouble boiling water and his wife hates to cook so he is very appreciative when we invite them for dinner. Tonight will be a nice thick NY Strip Steak. Hoping I’ll be able to cook on grill as rain is in the forecast.

Disclaimer: There are many MeMe’s that I see that I feel would be inappropriate to post on the Daily. If I post one that is offensive to anyone my only intent is to bring a smile to one of our readers.

Again thanks to all who contribute to our Daily.

Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.8f8bb5467f2817633bd21d5b870a5a02.jpeg

• Like 25

1 hour ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Got it. Today is International Dailyites Day and 3/16 is Daily Anniversary Day. Duh! Some days it takes longer to be fully awake than others!

I think making March 26 International Dailyites Day is an excellent holiday!  Thank You!

Good Sunday Morning Dailyites!  Keep Sandi in your thoughts today, as there were at least two tornadoes west of her this morning.  and she is right at the northern part of this current storm.  Very heavy rain just to the east of Atlanta, woke to thunder and leg cramps at 5 and 6 something, and I got back to sleep around 7, and slept until 9.  Not much sleep, we really need to have Vietnamese Iced coffee in the day time not at night.

DH got his first CYO sale yesterday!  Yeah!  And my day was a dud.  Oh well.  My neighbor Donna came over to pay me for my dog walking, and said she saw a large black cat the size of a Labrador in my yard.  I have noticed two new strays this week, but nothing that big.  Cant wait to see that one.

Today is grocery shopping day.  Tomorrow is lets go to the docs, back to our endocrinologist, (both of us) and back to DH's eye doc in the afternoon.  So Krogers first, then get a burger at a fast food place, and then the farmers market, and then cook dinner....or I can shop tomorrow night after the eye appointment, but for one thing... two things, we need coffee and bread.  

85389da2005e1c31c0e899734c01f92d.jpg

8a3b48b46869bbd9fd6dad60cfc2e7e6.jpg

@grapau27Thank you for bringing us Father David today.  It was good to hear and be reminded that I need to turn my problems over to God.

To everyone on the Daily, whether a regular contributor of food, drink, care list, sunrises, optional dining suggestions, menus, photos, memes, to daily posters, and daily lurkers-

a41aa46bb8f0463adeeab698ed9d1c79.jpg

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 3

🍷 🍹  HAPPY 3RD ANNUAL INTERNATIONAL DAILYITES DAY! 🥘 🛳️

This is the best example of Make Up Your Own Holiday.  I am so glad that Rich @richwmn turned the Fleet Report into the Daily in March 2020, even though it was a few months later when I found the Daily.  What started out as a refuge during the height of the pandemic, became a warm, friendly, supportive place for many of us to gather.  I hope we'll be celebrating the Daily anniversary for many years to come even as our lives get back to a more normal routine.

I hope to live long and prosper, and Spock was the Star Trek character I liked best.  Spinach is good raw in salads, wilted with bacon and mushrooms and in pasta dishes, but not as a cooked vegetable.  Besides being bad for those prone to kidney stones, it is one of the leafy, dark green vegetables that should not be eaten when taking blood thinners, especially the older blood thinners.

The Mark Twain quote is very interesting and good.

The meal looks interesting, and I think I'd like the third one the best.  I'm always looking for new ways to cook chicken.  I like Mai Tais, especially at the Royal Hawaiian on the patio watching the sun set behind Diamondhead, but I'm not sure about a strawberry Mai Tai.  We'll pass on the wine today.

We have been to Mindelo, Cape Verde, twice, but we've not been to Praia, Cape Verde.  I would love to see pictures of Praia.

@USN59-79  Ray, I hope you both have a great cruise on Westerdam.

BonVoyage.png.555309d3bb35b919d430036b36d354c1.png

@richwmn  Rich, thank you for the time line and the history of the creation of the Daily.  I hope and feel, we'll be continuing the Daily for a long time.  After all, we've become friends and family during the past three years.

@rafinmd  Roy, thank you for digging and finding the timeline for the evolution of the Daily.

@mamaofami  HAPPY 21ST BIRTHDAY to Jeremy.

@kazu  Jacqui, I hope you get the begonias potted without too much mess.  Loved the memes.

@dfish  Debbie, welcome back to the recipe department.  We appreciated Tina @0106 covering for you last week.

@aliaschief  Thanks for more great memes today, Bruce.

@cruising sister  Lorraine, I'm glad you are managing well without the splint.  

@AncientWanderer  Thank you for your nice comments on my port photos.  I enjoy sharing them with all the Dailyites, and they bring back good memories of past cruises when I share them.  We've been very lucky to have seen so many wonderful places in this world, and especially to go to some places we never thought we'd see when we were growing up.

@dfish  Debbie, I couldn't like your last post, but thanks for the information.  I hope the plumber can fix the problem.  

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I hope you stay safe today during the storms.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, I'm glad you did not have any damage from the winds.

@marshhawk Annie, I hope the doctor visits tomorrow go well.  Congratulations to your DH on his CYO sale.

@luvteaching  Karen, I hope things are going a lot better this morning, and that your DH is feeling better.  Be careful driving and take care of yourself.

There are so many who contribute to the Daily and make it the best thread on CC, and thank you to all the contributors.  It would not be what it is without Rich @richwmn, Roy @rafinmd, Sandi @StLouisCruisers, Vanessa @JazzyV, Debbie @dfish, Tina @0106 Dixie @summer slope, Graham @grapau27, and Ann, @cat shepard who get the Daily started every day, and who give us the important information on the days, quotes, meals, drinks and wine.

It was 46F when I woke up this morning, and it is now 66F, sunny with no wind.  It will warm to about 78 this afternoon.  I plan to get out and mow the yard and get some other outdoor chores done.  Earlier, I made a quick run to the store to get something on sale before they ran out.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 4

37 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Back from church an I’m amazed at how many can recall initial dates etc. Sandi I hope your safe as I just received news update that a tornado had destroyed some homes in Georgia this morning.

Yesterday I made spaghetti and meatballs and brought a plate to my neighbor whose wife is away. His wife bought him some TV dinners to get him through her two week absence. I believe he would have trouble boiling water and his wife hates to cook so he is very appreciative when we invite them for dinner. Tonight will be a nice thick NY Strip Steak. Hoping I’ll be able to cook on grill as rain is in the forecast.

Disclaimer: There are many MeMe’s that I see that I feel would be inappropriate to post on the Daily. If I post one that is offensive to anyone my only intent is to bring a smile to one of our readers.

Again thanks to all who contribute to our Daily.

Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.8f8bb5467f2817633bd21d5b870a5a02.jpeg

Thanks for your worry for me Bruce, but we are just having multiple thunderstorms here right now.  The hail wasn't the size of a golf ball like I saw hit nearby Locust Grove.  Our county is under a flood watch until mid afternoon.  Only flooding I see from our hilltop home is the new lake on the fairway out back. Hope these storms move out soon!

Very nice of you to prepare and share your spaghetti and meatball dinner last night with your neighbor.  I'm sure he was most appreciative. 🍝

• Like 18