No Booking Solo??

14 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

DS is currently on a ship and went to future cruise desk to book a cabin on a ship later in April.  Told she cannot book a solo cabin — only a double occupancy.  What??  Anyone have any experience with this?  Thanks.  Katherine 

Was it one of the blackout days they now have for solo's around Easter or March breaks?

4 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Was it one of the blackout days they now have for solo's around Easter or March breaks?

Never heard of black out days.  The day she wants to book is April 20 out of Baltimore.  Now she is trying to talk me into going with her!

Edited by Lady Hudson

2 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

Never heard of black out days.  The day she wants to book is April 20 out of Baltimore.  Now she is trying to talk me into going with her!

43 Single members must have at least 340 Cruise Points earned to receive the single cruise fare at 150%. This offer is based on availability with certain restrictions. Ocean Voyage Packages, Holiday sailings (Christmas, New Year’s, Thanksgiving, Easter/Spring break) and the peak summer months of June 15 thru August 15 are not included in this offer.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/resources/pdf/crown-and-anchor-society-benefit-grid.pdf

3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

43 Single members must have at least 340 Cruise Points earned to receive the single cruise fare at 150%. This offer is based on availability with certain restrictions. Ocean Voyage Packages, Holiday sailings (Christmas, New Year’s, Thanksgiving, Easter/Spring break) and the peak summer months of June 15 thru August 15 are not included in this offer.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/resources/pdf/crown-and-anchor-society-benefit-grid.pdf

Wow — that is a lot of restrictions.  I knew about the summer months but not about the other holidays.  I have to ask DS if they flat out said she couldn’t book or if she just could not get the 340 discount.  Thanks.

33 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

Did the agent give a reason.  She should have gotten a future cruise certificate for a deposit of $200 and if booked within 60 days she would get the OBC and have better luck with stateside agents.

Ps.  When I sailed Anthem in February, I booked on board a solo (solo supplement) for Columbus Day sail.  No problem with agent.

31 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

Wow — that is a lot of restrictions.  I knew about the summer months but not about the other holidays.  I have to ask DS if they flat out said she couldn’t book or if she just could not get the 340 discount.  Thanks.

I think DS stands for "dear son," DD would be for daughter. Not sure which yours is, as you've referenced DS but also called them "she." Not that it has anything to do with your post, just thought I'd point that out in case you didn't know what DS stands for. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

I think DS stands for "dear son," DD would be for daughter. Not sure which yours is, as you've referenced DS but also called them "she." Not that it has anything to do with your post, just thought I'd point that out in case you didn't know what DS stands for. 

Dear Sister would also work. 😀

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ARandomTraveler said:

Sister!

• Like 2

This is not just Royal.  I haven’t sailed Royal, but have a difficult time trying to book solo on MSC, Celebrity, and even Carnival.  The closer in the cruise, the harder it is.  Even willing to take any type cabin.  EM

• Thanks 1

On 3/29/2023 at 10:31 AM, Lady Hudson said:

Sister!

I've always done Sister as DSis (to avoid confusion). 

On 3/29/2023 at 11:54 AM, ARandomTraveler said:

Ah! I see. Makes sense. Why don't people just write son and sister, lol. 

I often use abbreviations.  Of course, you're only saving one keystroke with DS vs son, but if you're listing a bunch...

"Myself, DW, DS, DS's GF, DDs, DSiL and DD's friend are cruising next year"

vs

"Myself, my wife, son, son's girlfriend, my daughters, son in law, and my daughter's friend are cruising next year."   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I've always done Sister as DSis (to avoid confusion). 

I often use abbreviations.  Of course, you're only saving one keystroke with DS vs son, but if you're listing a bunch...

"Myself, DW, DS, DS's GF, DDs, DSiL and DD's friend are cruising next year"

vs

"Myself, my wife, son, son's girlfriend, my daughters, son in law, and my daughter's friend are cruising next year."   

Sounds good.  Will use DSis from now on.

On 3/29/2023 at 9:27 AM, ARandomTraveler said:

I thought it was Darling Sister.  😀

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

Sounds good.  Will use DSis from now on.

Don't get me wrong, it's totally up to you.  *I* automatically read DS as "Dear/Darling Son".  I looked for a "common" chart online, but couldn't find one. 

• Like 1

On 3/29/2023 at 5:49 AM, Ourusualbeach said:

The way I read that is that you can't use the discounted single supplement during blackout dates.  But if someone is essentially paying for 2 people, why wouldn't they be able to do that?  

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, rockmom said:

The way I read that is that you can't use the discounted single supplement during blackout dates.  But if someone is essentially paying for 2 people, why wouldn't they be able to do that?  

Correct, only apples to the DP340 rate. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/29/2023 at 8:27 AM, Lady Hudson said:

DS is currently on a ship and went to future cruise desk to book a cabin on a ship later in April.  Told she cannot book a solo cabin — only a double occupancy.  What??  Anyone have any experience with this?  Thanks.  Katherine 

I would wait until I got home and book it the usual way.  

It's not uncommon when all that's left is some GTY cabins for solo to be blocked.  Less than 30 days out are there any cabins for two that aren't GTY?  She might be able to call and get revenue mgmt to approve a solo in a GTY. 

• Thanks 1

I have  this problem ALL the time when trying to book a solo GTY on board. The agent must send the reservation to resolutions to have a double reservation converted to a solo reservation. 

I am assuming this person has over 340 pts and is entitled to a single supplement discount. 

Some agents will just say the the solo guarantees are sold out. Insist the reservation is sent to resolutions. 

Good luck, don't back down. 

• Like 2

On 3/29/2023 at 5:27 AM, Lady Hudson said:

I've been booking solos for 2 years now, and have never been turned down when booking on board the ship.  Maybe she was trying to book with a special promotion that was for double occupancy (or more).  But, she should have been able to book outside of the promo.  I also book GTY occasionally as a solo.

• Like 2

Looking at the website there are no bookable cruises out of Baltimore for any number of guests in April.

Appears to be sold out or the ship is heading into a shipyard for maintenance.  Old ships go in every 2.5 years.  

Edited by twangster
  • Like 1