Viking Final Payment

capecodollie

Along with another couple, my wife and I were about to book a Viking river cruise in France for April of 2025.  Our travel agent gave us all the particulars plus something new.  Viking wants final payment this December, 16 months before departure.  We've done 5 Viking cruises, 2 river and 3 ocean, and I believe final payment has always been about 6 to 12 months prior to departure.   Even that period of time is months earlier than other cruise lines I've sailed with.  We're doing Holland America this June and I made final payment earlier this month, a little over 3 months prior to departure.  

I was never overly concerned because interest rates were near zero for the last several years.   But now with interest rates hovering around 5% this is a significant policy change on Viking's part.  Simple math computes that the cruise will cost us about $800 in lost interest (assuming of course rates stay the same).   Not a huge deal, but significant.  Plus multiply that times all cruiser's final payments that Viking with be holding.  I have no idea what Viking will be doing with the money,  perhaps paying down debt from the covid years.  Or perhaps socking it away in treasuries.  

Either way this is a potential deal killer,  primarily because I have to wonder about the viability of their business.  Not to mention $800 out of my pocket.

Wondering if anyone else is troubled by this or am I just being cheap.

• Like 4

You are correct that Viking has taken what was already an industry-leading [!] early payment deadline (12 months, 6 if you ask nicely; compared to most others at 90 days or less) and made it even worse and even less flexible.  It stopped me from booking a second Viking Ocean cruise [found an even better itinerary on Windstar] and from even looking at the constant stream of Viking catalogs in my mailbox.  There are plenty of fish ships in on the sea!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Some Viking promotions require payment within a few weeks of booking as opposed to their "normal" time.  I just booked another Viking Ocean cruise with a promotional code and the agent had to double check that he was allowed to push the final payment out to 6 months before the cruise.  The 6 months timing is only for those that have another cruise booked in the future, and sometimes for cruises that are booked while onboard an ocean cruise.  I think I have seen a promotion that includes this too, but I'm not sure.  The request for the later payment has to be made at the time of booking, not later.

I think you would be surprised - you may be able to find a higher end line for the same price with better final payment arrangements (and similar itineraries).

I would never pay that far in advance.

• Like 5

I do think this requirement is crazy.  As I say that, I am getting ready to go on my 2nd Viking cruise in 40+ days.....  I will say the whole reservation/air process just doesn't as welcoming (accommodating) as the prior one.  That all being said what other cruises are similar?  Not really looking for the giant ship feel - I'm older I don't need a water slide and all the entertainment.

21 minutes ago, GwenA said:

That all being said what other cruises are similar?  Not really looking for the giant ship feel - I'm older I don't need a water slide and all the entertainment.

River?—every other line that sells in North America. Ocean?—Azamara, Oceania, Windstar. 

14 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

River?—every other line that sells in North America.

I agree. Really have a look around. Some good European lines with nice itineraries, if you feel a little more adventurous.

I strongly disagree with Viking's marketing and payment policies. When things go right Viking is great, when things go wrong and you have unfavourable insurance, be prepared for whatever your contract in the US will say. Sorry, I am just honest. European consumer rights and contracts I prefer. Check Viking fine print against other North American lines' fine print.

notamermaid

• Like 4

Funny coincidence - Mrs Pontac asked me over breakfast when the final payment for our August cruise with Viking is due.

It's 10 weeks before start of the cruise, on 6 June for cruise starting 15 August. I can't see them getting any bookings in the UK if they demanded full payment as early as they appear to in the USA

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, pontac said:

It's 10 weeks before start of the cruise, on 6 June for cruise starting 15 August. I can't see them getting any bookings in the UK if they demanded full payment as early as they appear to in the USA

Exactly. In the US they get away with it. Not sure what is allowed in Britain and the EU, but marketing (i.e. special offers) and fine print have been well regulated with the consumer in mind, especially after a couple of scandals after companies going bust.

Your terms are similar to what a German company would do.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, pontac said:

Funny coincidence - Mrs Pontac asked me over breakfast when the final payment for our August cruise with Viking is due.

Its about mindshare/marketshare, I dont know what company any UK or Australian (or really Canadian but I suspect I do know the answer) thinks about when they think "river cruise" but in the US its no doubt Viking.

Ive never taken a Viking cruise, dont think Ive ever signed up for anything yet I get an email from them EVERY DAY trying to get me to sign up for a cruise.  And at times their ads on the TV have been prevalent, not sure if thats still true.

And its definitely not because they have to, as I think people are alluding to, I paid for my AMA cruise in (checks) 28 days... at the end of January 90 days out.  The only thing I had to pay before that was the $200 deposit and insurance.  My next scheduled cruise for Egypt at the end of May next year is due 2/24/24.

Edited by CastleCritic
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, pontac said:

I think your consumer laws in the UK are much better than in the US. They are the only company I can think of in the US that does this. And they get away with it due to their brilliant marketing over here.

• Like 1

I'm currently on an ocean cruise, and was discussing solo river cruising with another passenger.  When I mentioned I've sailed Uniworld and Tauck solo,  she commented that I must be "well heeled".  She was surprised to find out that I was able to sail solo on both of those lines for far less than Viking charges and without their draconian payment policies. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Roz said:

I'm currently on an ocean cruise, and was discussing solo river cruising with another passenger.  When I mentioned I've sailed Uniworld and Tauck solo,  she commented that I must be "well heeled".  She was surprised to find out that I was able to sail solo on both of those lines for far less than Viking charges and without their draconian payment policies. 

It not the cheapest way to do it for sure. But there is no reason you should have to pay for 2 people to do it when youre going alone...and I dont.

Generally I pay about 25% on amawaterways (but its a sliding scale depending on your room). This will be my third cruise with them and third solo.

Right now Im sitting at 50% for next years cruise (Egypt) but hoping my mother feels up to it in the end....

and we can let that ride because I dont have to pay them or add her until next February for a May cruise....not ...now?

Edited by CastleCritic

17 hours ago, TMLAalum said:

their cabins do not compare favorably to those of other river cruise lines

Well, I can only speak of Scenic and Viking but I found Viking's cabin design superior to Scenic, both in the same class and both same size.

4 hours ago, pontac said:

Well, I can only speak of Scenic and Viking but I found Viking's cabin design superior to Scenic, both in the same class and both same size.

Viking's French Balcony cabins are the losers – they stole space to make the real Balcony cabins nicer, so they are very small compared to other lines.

20 hours ago, CastleCritic said:

It not the cheapest way to do it for sure. But there is no reason you should have to pay for 2 people to do it when youre going alone...and I dont.

Generally I pay about 25% on amawaterways (but its a sliding scale depending on your room). This will be my third cruise with them and third solo.

Right now Im sitting at 50% for next years cruise (Egypt) but hoping my mother feels up to it in the end....

and we can let that ride because I dont have to pay them or add her until next February for a May cruise....not ...now?

I think you should double check that. Usually lines make you cancel and rebook ~ you face cancelation charges and  you' re not allowed to add an additional person to an existing reservation.  

Im not really worried about it, we wouldn't wait that long so the worst they could charge me is $600 for a 120day+ change, and then reduce how much it costs me personally by nearly $3k.  This isn't a special promotion just a marker so that I have a room.  I would effectively free up and then immediately rebook the same room.

And then they would pocket an extra $3k to book her...so its a win win for AMAwaterways either way and considering we're both repeat cruisers (me being gold now as this would be my 6th cruise) I REALLY dont think they would be that much of a pain about it...who do you think they are? Viking?

• Haha 1

On 3/31/2023 at 10:46 AM, capecodollie said:

Along with another couple, my wife and I were about to book a Viking river cruise in France for April of 2025.  Our travel agent gave us all the particulars plus something new.  Viking wants final payment this December, 16 months before departure.  We've done 5 Viking cruises, 2 river and 3 ocean, and I believe final payment has always been about 6 to 12 months prior to departure.   Even that period of time is months earlier than other cruise lines I've sailed with.  We're doing Holland America this June and I made final payment earlier this month, a little over 3 months prior to departure.  

I was never overly concerned because interest rates were near zero for the last several years.   But now with interest rates hovering around 5% this is a significant policy change on Viking's part.  Simple math computes that the cruise will cost us about $800 in lost interest (assuming of course rates stay the same).   Not a huge deal, but significant.  Plus multiply that times all cruiser's final payments that Viking with be holding.  I have no idea what Viking will be doing with the money,  perhaps paying down debt from the covid years.  Or perhaps socking it away in treasuries.  

Either way this is a potential deal killer,  primarily because I have to wonder about the viability of their business.  Not to mention $800 out of my pocket.

Wondering if anyone else is troubled by this or am I just being cheap.

You are NOT being cheap. Viking is the worst!  Of course it is whatever the market will bear and as long as they "frighten" the US consumer with the price will go up or yo will not get this great offer later or cruises are sold out, they will continue to get their money up front so you will lose a tremendous amount if you cancel.  River cruises to France are a dime a dozen.  April is a very popular time weather wise, but look elsewhere. And as a side note, for cancelation policies and final payments you cannot compare Holland America or any other large cruse ships with river and small ocean size ships. The large ships can easily fill canceled reservations , many times people will pay a premium for a last minute trip