Viking Final Payment

capecodollie

We have sailed with Viking river.  We got around the 16 months out by booking late at 5 months out.  But that doesn’t work with cruises like Egypt that are booking out for 2025 now.  

So who do I look at for a similar product?  We loved Viking but I’m not willing to part with my money so far in advance.  Can someone suggest which line is comparable in trip and price?

1 hour ago, cruiselvr04 said:

We have sailed with Viking river.  We got around the 16 months out by booking late at 5 months out.  But that doesn’t work with cruises like Egypt that are booking out for 2025 now.  

So who do I look at for a similar product?  We loved Viking but I’m not willing to part with my money so far in advance.  Can someone suggest which line is comparable in trip and price?

For Egypt I would look at AMA (new ship in 2021 and a second even nicer one coming in 2024) and Scenic (I like their itineraries better).  FWTW I believe both of these would be even better than Viking, and certainly both are easier to deal with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll second AMAwaterways as a general suggestion, Ive done 5 cruises with them (and Cairo next May will be the 6th).  I have no first hand experience with viking other than walking through and obviously seeing their ships and passengers but the products appear similar.  There are a couple of other good choices as well.

My perspective on viking is that their group densities are a BIT denser than AMA. 180 people on the ship rather than 160 (unless you are on the AMAMagna which is twice as wide as a normal ship...then its 180), less people in each tour group or bus (just got back from Romania, we had 45ish people for the ground extension and had 2 buses when they could have crammed us on one).

AMA also doesnt (usually, Ive had one) charge for excursions you can pick from any of them and just go for what you paid for the cruise.  Also as a solo traveler, AMA doesnt make me pay full price for a person who didnt come......

Edited by CastleCritic
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

For Egypt I would look at AMA (new ship in 2021 and a second even nicer one coming in 2024) and Scenic (I like their itineraries better).  FWTW I believe both of these would be even better than Viking, and certainly both are easier to deal with.

Agree

7 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Look at Avalon also. Avalon is owned by Globus, they have many land tours and extensive connections worldwide. I believe Avalon’s pricing is similar to Viking. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

Look at Avalon also. Avalon is owned by Globus, they have many land tours and extensive connections worldwide. I believe Avalon’s pricing is similar to Viking. 

When friends of ours had to cancel their Avalon river cruise before final payment, even though the $500 deposit was supposed to be non-refundable, they were offered the option to transfer to another cruise or use it on a Globus tour!! This was pre-covid though.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2023 at 1:46 PM, capecodollie said:

Either way this is a potential deal killer,  primarily because I have to wonder about the viability of their business.  Not to mention $800 out of my pocket.

You can reduce your business viability concern by making sure your travel insurance includes coverage for provider financial default.

1 hour ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

You can reduce your business viability concern by making sure your travel insurance includes coverage for provider financial default.

Thankfully, Avalon and Globus are both on the included supplier list for Allianz.  [So was Vantage, which should be of some comfort to their stranded customers...]

On 6/17/2023 at 7:46 AM, TMLAalum said:

When friends of ours had to cancel their Avalon river cruise before final payment, even though the $500 deposit was supposed to be non-refundable, they were offered the option to transfer to another cruise or use it on a Globus tour!! This was pre-covid though.

I was offered the same option and moved our Moselle cruise from May to September this year.  

We booked our Avalon cruise in 2019, to sail 2020...we all know what happened to that! Because of Covid, Avalon gave us a choice of full refund (just our deposit, but others probably had made full payment) or re-book for a later cruise. We re-booked, and when it came close to our booking date, we took the option to re-book again. So the cruise I just paid for (90 days out) was booked Aug 2021. No having to pay any more than the 90 days.

I understand Viking's idea... if you can get away with it, why not? Everyone sees the advert on TV and thinks that "that looks nice", so without any research, calls them to book. As long as they can get away with it, why should they change? If you argue your date, it sounds as if repeat clients can get the 6 month payment, or you can "rush" book and go with whatever cabin they have available, but unless they have a major revolt, they won't change. Not good for clients, but then they are a business, and bottom line is more important for most businesses.

• Like 2

On 6/18/2023 at 9:40 AM, Daisi said:

We booked our Avalon cruise in 2019, to sail 2020...we all know what happened to that! Because of Covid, Avalon gave us a choice of full refund (just our deposit, but others probably had made full payment) or re-book for a later cruise. We re-booked, and when it came close to our booking date, we took the option to re-book again. So the cruise I just paid for (90 days out) was booked Aug 2021. No having to pay any more than the 90 days.

I understand Viking's idea... if you can get away with it, why not? Everyone sees the advert on TV and thinks that "that looks nice", so without any research, calls them to book. As long as they can get away with it, why should they change? If you argue your date, it sounds as if repeat clients can get the 6 month payment, or you can "rush" book and go with whatever cabin they have available, but unless they have a major revolt, they won't change. Not good for clients, but then they are a business, and bottom line is more important for most businesses.

We are right in the middle of this as we booked a Viking France's Finest for May 2025.  This is the itinerary that we want to do & we were actually scheduled for 2020 but we took the refund when it was cancelled.  The final payment is due February 2024!  It's crazy & we don't like it but since Amawaterways hasn't released their 2025 cruises yet (TA says August), we decided to go ahead with the booking to use the $25 pp deposit.  If we decide to change to Ama, we will forfeit the deposit, but we are ok with that.  The TA said there were only 5 balcony cabins left for our sailing, so clearly there are plenty of cruisers that are willing to let Viking keep their money for more than a year as surely not all of them are return guests who do benefit with a final payment due 6-8 months ahead.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, texswamper said:

We are right in the middle of this as we booked a Viking France's Finest for May 2025.  This is the itinerary that we want to do & we were actually scheduled for 2020 but we took the refund when it was cancelled.  The final payment is due February 2024!  It's crazy & we don't like it but since Amawaterways hasn't released their 2025 cruises yet (TA says August), we decided to go ahead with the booking to use the $25 pp deposit.  If we decide to change to Ama, we will forfeit the deposit, but we are ok with that.  The TA said there were only 5 balcony cabins left for our sailing, so clearly there are plenty of cruisers that are willing to let Viking keep their money for more than a year as surely not all of them are return guests who do benefit with a final payment due 6-8 months ahead.  

Just make sure you purchase 3rd party travel insurance and you’ll be fine. If you have a pre-existing condition it needs to be purchased within 10 days of booking. 

• Like 1

On 6/20/2023 at 6:28 PM, Got2Cruise said:

Just make sure you purchase 3rd party travel insurance and you’ll be fine. If you have a pre-existing condition it needs to be purchased within 10 days of booking. 

The number of days depends on the particular insurance plan - many use 14 days and some even more than 20 days

1 hour ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

The number of days depends on the particular insurance plan - many use 14 days and some even more than 20 days

True.  Allianz waives pre-existing condition clause up to final payment [but you must be able to travel on the day you buy the policy]

I think I’ve got it - I really could not understand the American acceptance of 12 month payment in full now I think I do. Viking are the only river cruise company with the ability for you to get your cabin of choice basically at any one time and it’s because they have so many vessels. It’s the ‘price you pay’ and someone at Viking has realised this. They’ve beaten you at your own game ‘marketing’ I’m not knocking you, I’ve been married to a man who’s been in that business for many many years. One of my great joys sitting with a group of them ‘chewing the cud’ Brits and Americans yeah believe it or not wonderful times. Viking have hit the nail on the head - more is ……………. and in this instance works.

4 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

True.  Allianz waives pre-existing condition clause up to final payment [but you must be able to travel on the day you buy the policy]

Some Allianz policies. I don't think most do.

I know the policy my agent sells does but if I go to Allianz website to buy a policy, I don't think those policies do.

Edited by Coral

On 6/20/2023 at 6:28 PM, Got2Cruise said:

I NEVER travel without insurance...  too many horror stories out there. And, have heard of a number of people who lost big $$$ as they didn't purchase insurance when paying for a big trip. Luckily I have an option of an annual plan, so I am covered at all times - even if we are able to travel on short notice!!

Fran

• Like 1

The on-river experience with Viking was wonderful, very attentive, crew very  much aims to please, officers approachable, great excursions, etc.  If the Viking experience on the boats was not so good, they would have a problem getting away with less pleasant stuff (super-early final payment, etc.)

I'm sure the experience is similar on other cruise lines---just saying that if Viking's product was not very good, they would not be able to pull off the other stuff.

And I am a fan of Viking saying this.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Canal archive said:

. Viking are the only river cruise company with the ability for you to get your cabin of choice basically at any one time and it’s because they have so many vessels. It’s the ‘price you pay’ and someone at Viking has realised this.

Not really, when I book with Avalon, I can select the cabin of my choice at booking. I book well in advance, and have never had a problem - and I'm fussy as I want a certain layout (my side of the bed against the wall). I just get the advantage of not having to pay in full until 90 days out.

• Like 3

Actually I worded that incorrectly, I was trying to say that there are loads more Americans (I must admit I don’t know if Canadians have to pay a year out for a Viking cabin) so as Viking has loads more boats the Americans can get whatever cabin they want but have to fork out a year before for the privilege. I’m most probably completely incorrect and I’m not being snidey about Viking as I’ve never traveled with them but many of my friends have or Americans as I wouldn’t return again and again to your wonderful country for holidays.

3 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

The on-river experience with Viking was wonderful, very attentive, crew very  much aims to please, officers approachable, great excursions, etc.  If the Viking experience on the boats was not so good, they would have a problem getting away with less pleasant stuff (super-early final payment, etc.)

I'm sure the experience is similar on other cruise lines---just saying that if Viking's product was not very good, they would not be able to pull off the other stuff.

To be clear Im not trying to speak bad about Viking here, my only experience with them is walking on and through their ships and seeing their groups and buses (and ships) in ports.  I might make fun of their ever presence but I dont have any basis for actual negative perspective on their experience. (in fact if you look at my recent review the one time I saw a Viking ship I said it looked like they had a great setup for a sunny day lunch, and I could smell their burgers from where I was.....). I certainly looked long and hard at their China cruises when that was a thing they were doing.

BUT, its also partially a case of marketing and people not knowing the options.  I didnt know any other options when my mom said she wanted to do a river cruise.  If it had been totally up to me I would have 100% have chosen Viking since I knew about it. (in the end she had a travel agent friend who gave us viking, AmaWaterways and uniworld catalogs I chose AMA based solely on the itinerary).

Its DEFINITELY true that once you've been if you had a bad experience with viking you wouldn't go back since you would see all the other ships the entire week, and I dont see that as something that is happening.  Its also true that people may not know that the other lines don't (necessarily) have the same payment rules.  For me personally its more the 100% solo supplement that has kept me away (though now I have enough loyalty with AMA to get benefits...)

5 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

DH and I are addicted to river cruising... (Booked for #18 next year...).  We have travelled with most of the main players (not travelled Tauck) - and, for the most part, the experience with every line was good.  We travelled with Viking in China, as well as on the Elbe and Eastern Europe (Bucharest to Budapest).   All of these trips were awesome... When interest rates were lower - and our dollar was more on par - I was OK with paying further out.  Not so much now. 

Viking is very visible in the river cruise market.  When I say we are going on a river cruise, most people assume that we are travelling with Viking - as that is what most people think about.  We are starting to see more ads for Scenic these days, but most people have never heard of AMA, Avalon or Uniworld --> unless they work with a travel agent, or have a friend who has travelled with these companies. 

In Canada, Viking continues to insist on the long full payment schedule - as in the US.  As long as people will do this, they have no reason to change the policies.  Luckily, DH and I are retired now - so we could always book last minute if we want (and then the payment policy is a non issue...).  Of course - this is dependent on availability of space. We booked the Douro for next May - and looked at all lines.  Viking had NO space in May or September next year when we were looking in April this year.

Fran 

• Like 1

My personal opinion is that Viking uses their customers as their bank. I doubt they keep the advance payments in a non interest bearing account.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Daisi said:

Not really, when I book with Avalon, I can select the cabin of my choice at booking. I book well in advance, and have never had a problem - and I'm fussy as I want a certain layout (my side of the bed against the wall). I just get the advantage of not having to pay in full until 90 days out.

Same with Amawaterways and Uniworld. 😀

3 hours ago, Roz said:

My personal opinion is that Viking uses their customers as their bank. I doubt they keep the advance payments in a non interest bearing account.  

Viking has very little debt. They use that money for their new builds.