How likely is it that Celebrity will cancel stops in Israel? How far in advance do they decide?

flifish64

We are booked on a cruise in October with stops in Israel.  Those stops are the reason we booked the cruise and I am now concerned that they may not happen.

Any past experience and information ?  

Carol

In 2014 we book 2 months out on the Silhouette on a Israel cruise , it dropped in price because they were bombing each other , but we still got to go, 

We would been just as happy if it was canceled, we thought 2 weeks in the Med was good enough for us

In 2015 , our friend missed the ports in Israel , because of bombings, it was changed after they started the cruise 

I think it up to the insurance companies if they stop in Israel 

We were able to visit last October, but you really do not know until the last day or so because anything can happen.  While we were there, several fighter jets flew to Gaza Strip and back.  I was told by a cruise passenger that this is normal, as they have friends living there; they visited them on the day this happened, so had the information.  We saw them overhead, not to mention heard them too.  You just take a chance and hope that you are not turned away from either port.   

Edited by Lastdance

We also worried about Israel being removed from our itinerary when we first went there. It can happen but the problems aren't in most places you would go. We walked the Kidron Valley last November and would do it again. Just don't wear a yamake and stay away from mosques and synagogues. These problems are pretty predictable and as a tourist, all these problems give you insight into what the people there worry abour daily. We have seen several protests in Europe, two violent. 

A change in itinerary can always happen as political situations can & do shift. 

We were there in October on Apex and it was a bucket list stop. I felt very safe there and we went to Bethlehem as well. 

It’s truly amazing I hope you get to go. 

Aloha. Have been blessed to have visited trouble spots around the world. For example Egypt a few months after Anwar Sadat was assassinated! It has been said there is never a good time to go nor a bad time. Many of the trouble spot trips were by air/land. That said I do have confidence that the cruise lines are not going to put their passengers and also the physical ship in harms way knowingly. Additionally I am confident that each individual shore excursion is also considered for safety reasons by the cruise lines.  Just recently, HAL canceled a port call in Africa due to unrest and also some port calls in Peru were canceled.  Turkey was also suspended a few years ago and of course Russia. I would feel comfortable sailing and then decide if you personally want to take a particular tour and of course the disappointment factor comes into play.  I wish you smooth sailing and please keep us posted!

From multiple previous experiences it will definitely be very last minute. And expect near to zero compensation/sympathy from Celebrity other than a refund of those port charges.  As you are before final payment, ask yourself if you would be happy doing that cruise without Israel in it.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Sussex Cruiser said:

From multiple previous experiences it will definitely be very last minute. And expect near to zero compensation/sympathy from Celebrity other than a refund of those port charges.  As you are before final payment, ask yourself if you would be happy doing that cruise without Israel in it.

I alway thought if Israel is a must do thing on your bucket list , you really should do a land tour 

to me Israel was just another interesting port of call  not a bucket list place for me 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Second the idea that if it's a must, you should book a land trip.  Cruise is just too unpredictable.  Many reports over the years here of people missing the stops both in Israel and Turkey.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sussex Cruiser said:

You have hit on my concern

i would not be happy without the stops in Israel

Egypt sounds great but I would rather do a Viking River cruise to see Egypt as it gets closer to the major sights and is there longer

hence the delima

We have been to Israel twice on cruises. The first time Ashdod was canceled at 11 pm the night before arrival and we went to Haifa for the 4 days instead. We were given free telephone access to call tour operators. Our tour operator knew before we called and had already made arrangements to meet us at Haifa. More travel time but was still amazing trip. The 2nd trip last fall went as planned- Israel is so worth multiple visits!

5 hours ago, Sussex Cruiser said:

This past october a stop in Pureto Vallarta was canceled due to a storm, I went to guest services to see if I could get a PV tax refund and was told no, X doesn't refund when ports of calls are missed.  It's possible GS was wrong or it only applies to weather related issues but just wanted to point out X may not refund under certain circumstances

7 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I always thought if Israel is a must do thing on your bucket list , you really should do a land tour 

I really don't think that a land tour vs cruise is full proof in Israel's case....

Assuming you'll book your land tour at least 2 weeks in advance -- look what happened here in the last day - rockets from Gaza strip. Well, WE are used to it. The last year was very quiet on this front, so it was quite unexpected.

BUT, today in the early afternoon, a huge amount of rockets was launched from Lebanon to the north of Israel. So many rockets were not launched against us since 2006 !!!!

DS2 took his 2 young kids this very morning to a long awaited camping holiday in the north. Speaking of timing and location....

Many left, many cancelled. He and his wife decided to stay.

Land tour or cruise? -- sadly, it's just a matter of sheer luck 😢

12 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

I really don't think that a land tour vs cruise is full proof in Israel's case....

Assuming you'll book your land tour at least 2 weeks in advance -- look what happened here in the last day - rockets from Gaza strip. Well, WE are used to it. The last year was very quiet on this front, so it was quite unexpected.

BUT, today in the early afternoon, a huge amount of rockets was launched from Lebanon to the north of Israel. So many rockets were not launched against us since 2006 !!!!

DS2 took his 2 young kids this very morning to a long awaited camping holiday in the north. Speaking of timing and location....

Many left, many cancelled. He and his wife decided to stay.

Land tour or cruise? -- sadly, it's just a matter of sheer luck 😢

My point of taking a land tour in Israel is 3 port days does not do the country justice with everything to see , not as if the tour/ cruise Will be canceled 

3 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

We can't forget the Bermuda sailing that was changed to Nassau 

We once had a caribbean cruise from NY that went to Bermuda!  They had engine issues and couldn't sail to far!  One couple was scheduled to get married in Nassau.  What a riot. Sometimes the itinerary  changes.

We have tried three times to visit Israel.  The first was a land tour that was cancelled because of the unrest.  The second two were cruises and the itinerary for the first one was changed several months ahead.  We enjoyed visiting the Greek Islands.  The third time the cruise had a last minute cancellation of ports in Israel.  The first we heard of that change was in an email from our privately booked tour guide.  He refunded our deposit because our ship was not going to the port.  It was two days before Celebrity notified us, a week before departure.

We have decided now that maybe we are not supposed to visit the Holy Land, but I will never say never.

• Like 3

We were on a Celebrity cruise in 2015 to Israel and they announced they would not be stopping at Haifa or Ashdod after we boarded the cruise. Several passengers left the ship after a couple of days, flew to Israel and rejoined the ship several days later. So it just depends on when they make the decision and whey they let you know. Celebrity has never been the best on keeping passengers informed, IMHO. 

We had 3 days 2 nights cancelled several years ago. We made the 2 day stop in Egypt but they cancelled Israel and sent us to Istanbul.  

So this October we are doing a 13 day land tour in October…or maybe not. You were required to buy the insurance.  I guess i see why…

We gotta do this some time.  It’s big one on our bucket list. 

Again a lot could change in 5 to 6 months…hope hope hope🙏

1 hour ago, p18750 said:

We were on a Celebrity cruise in 2015 to Israel and they announced they would not be stopping at Haifa or Ashdod after we boarded the cruise. Several passengers left the ship after a couple of days, flew to Israel and rejoined the ship several days later. So it just depends on when they make the decision and whey they let you know. Celebrity has never been the best on keeping passengers informed, IMHO. 

It seems to me that the entities involved in the conflict aren’t doing their best to let Celebrity know when it will be too dangerous to come🙄

On 4/6/2023 at 11:48 AM, flifish64 said:

You have hit on my concern

i would not be happy without the stops in Israel

Egypt sounds great but I would rather do a Viking River cruise to see Egypt as it gets closer to the major sights and is there longer

hence the delima

cruises are never the best way to hit a specific port. And things are unpredictable. We went to Peru and Machu Picchu in 2021, in 2022 it was inaccessible due to riots. No one, including celebrity can predict what may happen. But if this is your can’t miss spot; better to be on a land tour there that gets cancelled. Celebrity won’t cancel the cruise over it.

St Petersburg Russia was scheduled until the Ukraine War broke out.  Cancelled almost the next day.

Nicaragua was a port stop until the fight between the gangs/drug related and the government became more intense.  Cancelled soon after.

Cruising is a great way to get a tiny taste of a country.  My best example is a shore excursion to Paris.  2 hours each way on a bus and 3 hours to "see" Paris. 

To see Isreal or Egypt you need a week or preferably more.

As for Isreal as a port stop - 50/50.

• Like 1