The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday April 9th, 2023

Happy Easter to all who celebrate it.

I have also visited the Cabinet War Rooms, as they were called then, in London. It was in the afternoon of the day on which, earlier, I had fallen in front of the Royal Festival Hall and ended up in the ER at St. Thomas's for sutures.

Shrimp is off my list. So is couscous until after Passover, and Roy's alternative doesn't work, either. No on the drink, probably yes on the wine. I haven't been to Puntarenas.

For dinner last night I made a tofu stir-fry with bok choy, served with rice, and there is a story. Religious law restricts five grains--wheat, barley, oats, rye, and spelt*--during Passover. They're not forbidden, but can only be made into matzah. Jews in central and eastern Europe added the custom of not eating any other grains or legumes, on the theory that they could also be milled into flour and could cause confusion, but those in the Mediterranean never adopted those precautions and so eat rice and legumes during Passover.

My family practice is eastern European, but a few years ago the Masorti movement in Israel, and subsequently the Conservative movement in North America, rules that everyone should follow the Mediterranean practice. So, while my ancestral practice wouldn't have allowed it, my current practice allows tofu, wheat-free soy sauce, rice, corn, beans, etc. The not-shepherd's pie on Friday included peas, corn, and green beans, too. BTW, I don't have a wok; I use a paella pan.

*Spelt is a sub-species of wheat but is listed separately. There is also a question about whether "oats" might really be some other grain.

Today I teach Hebrew on Zoom at 9:30 and II Kings at 10:30. On the first morning of Passover, one my adult students asked me to be a witness at his Jewish wedding next month. He and his husband are already married, in a civil ceremony.

pharaohatdoctor.thumb.jpg.6e95f8036dac380f67ed398a3c5ec6a2.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 3

Good morning and a Happy Easter to all that celebrate. I woke up very early this morning and remembered the time my Aunt and I traveled to St Patrick’s Cathedral for Easter Mass. We encountered an “ Easter Parade “ of hats after the service. I will look for a picture as it was quite a scene.

Happy Birthday and Happy Anniversary to @luvteaching!

Happy Anniversary to Gerry and DH @ger_77

Happy Belated Anniversary to @erewhon

We are having a roast turkey  later today and vegetable lasagna for the non meat eaters. It is only 39 now but may reach 50 later. The sun is shining and I had happy dogs walking earlier. The dogwood and cherry trees have blossomed and it is lovely to see.

@JazzyV, Vanessa, I hope you get your power back and that you can feel some relief from the injection today.

@grapau27, Graham, thank you for sending us Father David every week. I hope that your injections have given you pain relief as well.

Enjoy the day!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning from a cool and windy day at the beach

They were right about our change in weather! Yikes. The wind is howling and the ocean looks very angry today. They usually have sunrise services on the beach, but not much of a sunrise today. Crazy.

I am cooking a standing rib roast today. On sale at Publix. Small group today so it will be fun. Happy Easter yo all who celebrate.

Yesterdays shredding event was a huge success. They ended up having to split the lines. The " boys" came back exhausted but pleased. 

@luvteaching A very Happy Anniversary  and Happy Birthday!

@erewhon Happy Anniversary

@ger_77   Happy Anniversary

April is a popular month for clebrations!

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning and a Happy Easter to all that celebrate. I woke up very early this morning and remembered the time my Aunt and I traveled to St Patrick’s Cathedral for Easter Mass. We encountered an “ Easter Parade “ of hats after the service. I will look for a picture as it was quite a scene.

Happy Birthday and Happy Anniversary to @luvteaching!

Happy Anniversary to Gerry and DH @ger_77

Happy Belated Anniversary to @erewhon

We are having a roast turkey  later today and vegetable lasagna for the non meat eaters. It is only 39 now but may reach 50 later. The sun is shining and I had happy dogs walking earlier. The dogwood and cherry trees have blossomed and it is lovely to see.

@JazzyV, Vanessa, I hope you get your power back and that you can feel some relief from the injection today.

@grapau27, Graham, thank you for sending us Father David every week. I hope that your injections have given you pain relief as well.

Enjoy the day!

Thank you Terry.

I'm happy so far.

I hope Tana's new aide is doing a great job.

Graham.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning to All.

Happy Easter to all of you who celebrate this Joyous Day.

We have a rainy day and it promises to stay that way all day.

Thank you to Sandi @StLouisCruisers for the Daily and Fleet Report.

The days are interesting.  I agree with Robin Williams’ quote.  He was a funny guy and it was a sad day when we learned he took his life.

I have been to Costa Rica but do not remember the port.  I think it was Corinth.  We just did some shopping at the port.

We will skip the meal and libations today as DH and I are going out to dinner.  

Everything concerning this house will be put on hold today. I refuse to do anything that resembles work on Easter Sunday.

Thank you to Vanessa @JazzyV for the cares and celebration lists, Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for keeping us fed and hydrated.  

And thank you to Graham @grapau27 for Father David’s sermon.  That is always welcome on Sunday mornings—especially on this Easter Sunday.

Happy Birthday and Anniversary to @luvteaching

Happy Anniversary to @ger_77

and Happy belated Anniversary to @erewhon

I hope everyone has a wonderful day to celebrate with their loved ones.

God Bles,

Terri

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Happy Easter 2022: Wishes, Images, Status, Quotes, Messages and WhatsApp  Greetings to Share on Resurrection Sunday

Good Easter Sunday morning.  It seems strange to have the Masters on so early.   We have a lot of yard work to get caught up on but we have 8 days of warmth and sun predicted.  I think we will clean sand out of our gutters and a few other things.  We are so far behind because of the late spring.  

Thanks for all of the Daily Reports that start our days.  Sandi, I hope you got a little more shut eye this morning and Vanessa I hope your power came on.   We are having shrimp for dinner, very out of the ordinary but we are both dieting.   The wine looks good if it could be found but I will pass on the sweet cocktail.   Debbie the shrimp recipes give me some ideas for tonight's dinner.   Prayers for all on our care list and the people of Ukraine.  

Last night while looking at the Google news feed I get on my phone there was an article about HA's Legendary Voyages so I clicked on it and it brought me to the offerings.   I had been looking for a long cruise in winter 2025 and I found one RT from SD to Hawaii and French Polynesia.  It isn't quite long enough but we could add on a Mexican Riviera prior.  Or even better yet find FL Panama Canal transit to SD and when we return another SD to FL Panama Canal transit.  That way we could still drive to Fort Lauderdale for our Pacific cruise.   Plus the "threw the book at us" with Gratuities, Premium internet, Elite Beverage package, 3 shore excursions each and a specialty dinner.   

@aliaschief

Bon Voyage With A Large Cruise Ship! Free Bon Voyage eCards | 123 Greetings

Happy Birthday GIFs: 1000+ Original Animated GIF Images by Funimada

Happy Birthday @erewhon

@ger_77, @luvteachingand @erewhon

image.jpeg.30f41f837a50759a8645c106a1c2c46d.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning and Happy Easter. Kind of ironic on today’s port of call as we will be visiting there on this cruise.

We had an enjoyable dinner at the Boatyard Restaurant and we were in bed at 8:00 PM.

Will be joining on-line worship services this morning and the hotels shuttle is taking us to the ship at 11:00 AM. So I need to get ready for breakfast.

Here’s wishing you a wonderful day. Haven’t really made any plans for Sail Away as weather forecast is calling for some rain. We are on deck 7 port side a couple of doors from Neptune Lounge.

image.thumb.jpeg.4a9654eb390a288c0c8cdf6d31ed07d6.jpegimage.jpeg.ba920efc03b954c08f947967db13f0d8.jpegimage.jpeg.a732393eabed654ac1ce1e51b2d7e068.jpegimage.jpeg.642b38091bb37bd72900783b03fbda54.jpegimage.jpeg.53dbb4e0da64ae73af48049e09bf3592.jpega

Bon Voyage! Hope to be on Eurodam this fall.

• Like 10

We went to Puerto Limon on January 7 this year.   I remember how very hot it was while waiting for our Monster bus tour.   We had a great time seeing the countryside but only a sloth to see wild animal wise.  The only photos I took with my good camera were botanicals so this is all I have on my laptop.   I will see what I can find on my phone.  

banana flwer 1723.JPG

ferns 2 PL 1723.JPG

jungle leaves 1723.JPG

plant 1 1723.JPG

red flower 2 1723.JPG

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Best wishes to all celebrating this time of year.  It will be a glorious day in southeastern PA.

We got a call last night (around 10 pm) that our grandson and his girlfriend will be joining us today.  So our dinner for 7 now becomes 9.  Good thing there is always plenty of food.

Off to church in a bit and then starting the preparations for dinner today.  Safe travels to all visiting family.  Katherine 

• Like 17

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Father David wishes all the Dailyites a very Happy Easter.

IMG_20230409_112900.jpg

Happy Easter Graham and Fr David. Many thanks for sharing the messages!  

Happy celebrating to all:  Sacred days, life’s milestones, SailAways, cruising, traveling, visiting, and recovering!  

Blessings to all in need of healing, comfort or hope. 

Thank you Paul for sharing your interesting and informative explanations. Traditional and modernized!  

My mother used to go with ladies from church to walk in the 5th Ave Easter Parade. They made their elaborate hats!  I’m glad she had those fun days long ago. 

Churchill is a person to study again and again. A flawed character who brought profound courage, wisdom and strength. 

I love grilled shrimp on any menu. No grill here in the condo!

Off to get ready for church. I hope everyone can feel a little new hope in the day, no matter what their situation is.
m— 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Happy Easter, Happy Passover, and a blessed Ramadan to all my friends of different  faiths.  

I missed out being here yesterday, but we had a busy day.  One of the things we did was made a big box store run; DH needed a new pair of Serengeti sunglasses which were on sale, so we renewed our membership and came out with a cart full of other things  as well.  We had both grandsons in the car with us, and unless you have a 3 year old with you, you forget how exciting it is to see a police car, and a garbage truck, and a moving van, and . . .  What a joy it is being with them again!

I know I missed some events yesterday, so will take the time now to with @StLouisCruisersand her twin a belated Happy Birthday, and @erewhona belated Happy Anniversary!  I know I’ve missed someone, but will look back for it.

Today we share our 46th anniversary with @luvteaching and her DH.  May we both have many more years of love and laughter!  Happy Birthday to @luvteaching as well today, a double celebration for you!

I like todays menu suggestion, but we’ll be having both a small roast beef and baked ham along with garlic mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli, and a quinoa salad at the family table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers to all who are in need, hearty cheers to everyone with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 3

45 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

We went to Puerto Limon on January 7 this year

Beautiful pictures.  Puerto Limon is on the east coast of Costa Rica; Puerto Caldera is on the west coast.

@kochleffel I appreciate your explanations of the Jewish traditions. Chag Sameach

• Like 19

1 hour ago, 0106 said:

Happy Easter to all who celebrate!1993B0B5-49F0-4C38-B67F-33993B805244.jpeg.8d1807309707ce1f57d19f35db5cbb23.jpeg

I will be cooking Easter dinner for my family.  I’m cooking the spiral ham in the crockpot (thanks Debbie), macaroni & cheese, pineapple casserole,  asparagus, salad with oranges, avocado & candied walnuts.  My niece will bring appetizers and my sister dessert.  

We were in Puntarenas on our Zuiderdam Panama Canal transit in February 2022.  We went on a ship tour that began with a bus ride to an aerial tram through the rain forest.2EAED103-A647-46A5-AAC2-298E866CFC06.thumb.jpeg.75916b661051fcdf2bdb70525b92bf6b.jpeg

4F5D11FF-50D3-4BD7-BEF7-709A538D6F4D.thumb.jpeg.6d018a20d8811cc017a042dc0fe98781.jpeg

There was a guided walk through a medicinal garden.CCC0340B-D366-4397-A6D9-4CD3141CDDDF.thumb.jpeg.6b6d26b778eec840aa2dc2370fe7dab9.jpeg

Then back on the bus to the sloth sanctuary.70F3B916-C28B-48B3-BE7D-75E68B942B83.thumb.jpeg.d5fb1b68d4d1e241884225fd308996a1.jpeg

06B79AC5-AB14-4041-966F-ACC1B7A572C5.thumb.jpeg.e1c44c6b69f7613ab3b195e82dfb8f7c.jpeg

F0C31A1B-215E-4C0D-8C57-386EE9644441.thumb.jpeg.930d3c5d6cb673971632e68ccf4a68c5.jpeg

When we returned to the ship we were greeted by the pelicans.6838CB7B-C350-4F83-A7EC-08216A2F6C4E.thumb.jpeg.19ce37228ae5a697875abfd5f9d0dce5.jpeg

Positive thoughts to those who need them. Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

Nice photos Tina @0106

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Puerto Caldera photos and thanks @0106 for getting me on the correct coast.    I was there March 12, 2017 on a Panama Canal crossing on the Oosterdam.   We took the tour up into the mountains for a tour of Pura Vida Gardens.   It was very hot.  

ant covered flower PVG 31218.jpg

costa rica coastline 31218.jpg

farewell Corinto Nic 2 31118.jpg

Nancy Dana PVG CR 31218.jpg

pura vida waterfall 31218.jpg

PVG CR Landslides 31218.jpg

Red flowers PVG 31218.jpg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 5

Good Sunday Morning Dailyites!  Happy Easter.  DH and I did our grocery shopping last night, and bought two dark chocolate bunnies, a small bag of 40 flavors Jelly Belly Beans, and DH bought some dark chocolate sea salt caramel bars.  I also got some milk chocolate bunnies for my neighbor Donna.

Since we have been having breakfast out a lot this week post dr's appointments, and cooking huge fancy meals for just two isn't my style, I bought a ham steak, will make potato salad and deviled eggs, and have some corn on the cob.  Our feast.  Before the time of covid, we would go out to a buffet at stone mountain park, and make pigs of ourselves.  Truth is , now we just don't eat as much, so why waste the money.

I get leg cramps.  I have found that if I wear socks at night, that they are not as bad.  But sometime after 4, my feet got way too warm, and i took off the socks, at 5:45 I had cramps in both legs. so I got up and lathered Theraworks on both legs, took a low dose aspirin, drank some water and went back to sleep. Had the craziest dreams!  And woke up at 8:30 with leg cramps, at this point I figured I should just get up.

My father had three uncles, all three served in the Civil War.  Only 1 survived, he was a POW at Andersonville.  My dad had a picture of the family with their old Stanley Steamer vehicle, and sure enough there was the uncle.  My dad was about 5 years old in the picture.  He said his uncle was very strange. After visiting Andersonville, and finding his name on the list of POW's, I can understand why he was a little "off".(Dad's mom was the youngest child, and there were 20 plus years between her and her brothers.)

The sky is blue and clear, and my computer shows a picture of the sun with two clouds, it looks like an Easter egg.  Temperature is 42. 

@JazzyVI hope your power comes back soon, you aren't having storms, very weird.  Here we lose power a lot due to the squirrels.

@grapau27Thank you so much for bringing us Father David.  Tell him we say "hey". 

I hope you all have a wonderful happy and blessed day.

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

Puerto Caldera photos and thanks @0106 for getting me on the correct coast.    I was there March 12, 2017 on a Panama Canal crossing on the Oosterdam.   We took the tour up into the mountains for a tour of Pura Vida Gardens.   It was very hot.  

ant covered flower PVG 31218.jpg

costa rica coastline 31218.jpg

farewell Corinto Nic 2 31118.jpg

Nancy Dana PVG CR 31218.jpg

pura vida waterfall 31218.jpg

PVG CR Landslides 31218.jpg

Red flowers PVG 31218.jpg

Lovely photos of yourselves and Puerto Caldera.

Graham. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1