The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday April 9th, 2023

57 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

I’m wondering how rye or oats would hold together to make a matzoh???

Although rye is usually combined with wheat for making bread, it does contain some gluten. Wasa rye crispbread and Ry-Krisp aren't very different from matzah, except that they taste better than rye matzah.

Oats, OTOH, contain little or no gluten. Nevertheless, a bakery in New Jersey makes gluten-free oat matzah, from a gluten-free strain of oats. Because of all the supervision, starting at harvest time, that's required for it to be certified for Passover, it's very expensive. It's also scarce, and most who need or want to avoid gluten rely on "Gluten-Free Matzoh-Style Squares," which technically are not matzah at all. Thus, they shouldn't fulfill the requirement to eat matzah at the seder, but no one is required to eat something that would make them sick.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 8

I think I was confused as to which port in Costa Rica is on the list today.  We have been there.  This last fall we chose an excursion up in the mountains to see the Starbucks show plantation.  That was the same day some other guests didn’t make it back down, due to flooding.   We were in a small van, and luckily able to get back to the ship via some narrow roads. 

Here are some photos of the plantation.  It’s a lovely setting.  Starbucks experiments there to try insect-resistant plants and so on, to share that knowledge with other growers throughout the world.

8DCEA7F5-C0D7-4333-BD6D-C6DE15C0342E.jpeg.263a531069ed84195dfc327b439cb9ad.jpeg

4D204075-3269-424F-9024-437484DB01CD.jpeg.3780b8ec65a6ebe2c75c60b97a87fdd8.jpeg

8FADD69B-2E96-4E03-8CE3-64CD3845BA66.jpeg.af788f76485866a53eb83a561a4776e2.jpeg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 4

We've had 2 successive ports of the day.  Yesterday was Puerto Plata/Amber Cove and today Grandeur of the Seas is there and you can see how they are related on cruisemapper.  The port pin is actually at Amber Cove while the Grandeur is in Puerto Plata,=:

dr.JPG.87d7ac58554edc2ab5c56575cb478089.JPG

In 2017 I visited Puerto Caldera on the Zaandam while the Eurodam was in Puntarenas and I could see the Eurodam from the Zaandam.  Again, 2 fairly distant but close ports:

eurodam.jpg

Roy

• Like 14
  • Thanks 5

I received some Elliott Rose photos and will share one or two with you.  First her Easter bonnet.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJe4I8k-BZMiguKKzmZuBe9qCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1681057189

And another because she's so darn cute!  I believe she is exactly 6 months old today, Easter!  I love that age.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLBs_xzoZDFzVIiK43SD4uSKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1681057189

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

We had a fast and very efficient embarkation. We’re home.

image.thumb.jpeg.fed04c6546fc5a45674123bf13f3214c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.04885fe70357b1115296901a425fb0dd.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.8f4e0115da3efcdc6cd229d6a3c4e06c.jpeg

What a lovely cabin.  I know you will be cozy as can be there.  Sue's twin couldn't make it this cruise?

1 hour ago, cruising sister said:

Happy everything today,  there is too many to mention. I plan on a quiet Sunday. I went to my sons early this morning and had breakfast. They will be celebrating with DDIL family later. They invited me but I am ok with a quiet day (they  are a bit strange and I feel a bit  uncomfortable around them).

I am not sure what it means when the DGK’s lined up their Easter treats!! 

63889111-7C29-4B2C-81FC-C6C45C1F5133.jpeg

57AB1379-BDA4-4CED-91D5-BB3E2D6C8CF7.jpeg

It means the DGKs are very, very organized.  I notice the DGD unwrapped hers!  lol!  Darling children.🤗

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

A quick hello from "Covid Central" and Happy Easter to all who celebrate.

I've missed a lot of the news here, Covid knocked me down for a few days.  The 3rd night was the worst and I honestly feared things would continue downward.  Yesterday I had no voice due to my throat being so sore and raw.  I haven't had a sore throat that bad since having my tonsils out as a child. But this morning my temperature was finally back to normal after days of being over 100.  Now just to keep it that way!  So I think I'm coming out of this.  DH is a couple days ahead of me and doing "well".  He finished his Paxlovid yesterday and I'll finish mine Tuesday morning.

Our kids have been great, DSIL giving medical advice, DS and DDIL brought us Easter dinner last night (porch drop) and we got a sweet FaceTime from the grandsons yesterday.  

Happy Anniversary wishes to @ger_77, @erewhon and @luvteaching!

Also Happy Birthday to @luvteaching!

Bon Voyage @aliaschief!

How awful to be so sick but I'm glad to hear the temperature is gone.  Things should be much better soon.  Nice of family to bring you Easter dinner and drop it off.

57 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning Dailyites (it was AM when I started!). Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I like my name, so I'll keep it. I'll salute Churchill and those who were POW's, for what they endured. 

Funny quote; we have restaurants here called Eat'n Park, and people always say, shouldn't it be Park 'n Eat? The meal sounds tasty; shrimp is about the only seafood I'll eat; no special meal today for just me. I'll pass on the drink and wine.

I haven't been to this Puntarenas; we were supposed to stop on my Panama Canal transit in 2019, but they cancelled the port before the sailing and added Acapulco. We had planned to do the Rain Forest tram.

I dislike being rudely awakened! When I lose my landline phone, the house alarm system chirps to let me know there's trouble. That will be a thing of the past, as my friend who is an alarm installer (and did this system 25+ years ago) is coming tomorrow. Changes will have the system communicate by cellular signal, and I'll also be able to do stuff from my mobile phone. I'd told him with my vision issues that I have trouble seeing the keypads, even with my glasses. So, I was just about to put the fridge on the battery generator, when power was restored after about 2-1/2 hours. Apparently a car accident on the main drag around here (nearby to me) took down a power line. The knee still feels stiff, although maybe a touch less painful to bend.

Growing up, it was traditional to go to the boardwalk and walk along in one's easter finery after church! This was at the Jersey shore.

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for our start this Easter Sunday and the Puntarenas photos. 

@grapau27 Thank you for posting Fr. David's Easter sermon. 

@aliaschief Bon Voyage to you and Sue! Nice digs.

@kazu Good move on buying dinner, and nice of you to share with your neighbor when she returns.

@dfish Thanks for the recipes.

@richwmn Enjoy Cadiz!

@0106 Nice photos.

@kochleffel Thanks for the interesting information.

@Cruzin Terri Enjoy your dinner out.

@ottahand7 Thanks for the photos, both sets!

@marshhawk Sorry to hear about the leg cramps.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Great photos!

@luvteaching Enjoy these special occasions spending time with DH! 

@cruising sister Cute grandkids!

@Cruising-along Sorry the last few day were rough, but good news that you feel better today and that DH is doing well. Take it easy and lots of rest.

@GTVCRUISER Welcome home!

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebrations.

Be well everyone.

I'm glad the power returned before you had to turn on the generator.  It will be a relief not to have the system chirp when the power goes off.  Our system communicates with a cellular signal and they had to change it out not that long ago due to upgrades in the system.  Hope that knee continues to feel better.

37 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Just back from our cruise on the Refection, very nice cruise with no complaints except the ship was packed at 400 above capacity due to a lot of kids who for the most part were well behaved.

We walked off this AM at 7:20 and in our car at 7:35, would have been earlier but we cruised from and returned to pier 29 which can be a pain in the neck as if you drive to the port you have to take a shuttle bus from the mid-port garage to pier 29. Made it back to Punta Gorda in pretty good time returning at 9:50.

Thanks for the Bon Voyage wishes and welcome back comments.

Back to work tomorrow with an 8AM tee time.

Things are starting to get back to normal as quite a few snowbirds have made their migration north, by the end of April it will just be us locals and traffic will be bearable again and the restaurants will be not as crowded. Hard to believe we have been residents of Florida for 30 years now, seen lot of changes in those 30 years especially with traffic in the Naples-Bonita Springs-FT. Myers area where we lived for 17 years, when we moved in 1993 Interstate 75 in southwest Florida was only 2 lanes in each direction, it's now 3 lanes in each direction and word is we will soon see 4 lanes in each direction, not quite like Chicago but getting close.

Hope everyone is doing well and in good health, one of these days I will start posting again on a daily basis.

It's good to hear from you again.  I was wondering if you see much progress being made in your area after Hurricane Ian damaged it last year?  I also wonder how Sanibel Island is doing since we don't hear much about it.  

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I received some Elliott Rose photos and will share one or two with you.  First her Easter bonnet.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJe4I8k-BZMiguKKzmZuBe9qCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1681057189

And another because she's so darn cute!  I believe she is exactly 6 months old today, Easter!  I love that age.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLBs_xzoZDFzVIiK43SD4uSKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1681057189

What a lovely cabin.  I know you will be cozy as can be there.  Sue's twin couldn't make it this cruise?

It means the DGKs are very, very organized.  I notice the DGD unwrapped hers!  lol!  Darling children.🤗

How awful to be so sick but I'm glad to hear the temperature is gone.  Things should be much better soon.  Nice of family to bring you Easter dinner and drop it off.

I'm glad the power returned before you had to turn on the generator.  It will be a relief not to have the system chirp when the power goes off.  Our system communicates with a cellular signal and they had to change it out not that long ago due to upgrades in the system.  Hope that knee continues to feel better.

It's good to hear from you again.  I was wondering if you see much progress being made in your area after Hurricane IIan damaged it last year?  I also wonder how Sanibel Island is doing since we don't hear much about it.  

Things are looking a lot better but there are still quite a few homes that are waiting on new roofs. A lot of road signs are still missing. The Hampton Inn and Holliday Inn at exit 170 on I-75 still haven't opened.  We haven't heard much about Sanibel, most of the the talk has been about Ft. Myers Beach as that place was just about destroyed and the word is that big money is going to rebuild Ft.Myers Beach and will see large luxury hotels and restaurants popping up everywhere replacing a lot of the seedy bars and beach stores that once populated FMB. It will wind up looking more like the beaches of Naples with places like the Ritz Carlton and Ruth Chris steakhouses.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Good morning all,

And Happy Easter to all who celebrate on this day. DH and I went last night and will spend today packing. And doing the things around the house. DH will work on the day before we leave, so today is “It”. Yesterdays ride was beautiful. We had lots of mustard and another yellow flower all over the hills. Some of the mustard is now over 7’ tall.

Thank you all for posting Punta Arena pictures and information. This is a new port for us and I’m thinking about changing my shorex. DH is doing the zip line. I’ll do ski lifts, but it’s a big “no way” to be suspended with nothing below me. (Ya, I know it’s not logical.)

Adding: is that craft booth/ outdoor market near the dock?

@kochleffel Thank you for sharing. I’m wondering how rye or oats would hold together to make a matzoh???

@dfish I’m filing the recipe for today.

Havwe a great day everyone!

I'm with you about zip lines.  DH did the one in Icy Strait Point while I waited at the base.  We did the sky tram in Costa Rica which was interesting.  I have pictures that I'll post in a few minutes.

2 hours ago, cruising sister said:

Happy everything today,  there is too many to mention. I plan on a quiet Sunday. I went to my sons early this morning and had breakfast. They will be celebrating with DDIL family later. They invited me but I am ok with a quiet day (they  are a bit strange and I feel a bit  uncomfortable around them).

I am not sure what it means when the DGK’s lined up their Easter treats!! 

63889111-7C29-4B2C-81FC-C6C45C1F5133.jpeg

57AB1379-BDA4-4CED-91D5-BB3E2D6C8CF7.jpeg

Cute pictures of cute grand kids.  I was never that organized.

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

A quick hello from "Covid Central" and Happy Easter to all who celebrate.

I've missed a lot of the news here, Covid knocked me down for a few days.  The 3rd night was the worst and I honestly feared things would continue downward.  Yesterday I had no voice due to my throat being so sore and raw.  I haven't had a sore throat that bad since having my tonsils out as a child. But this morning my temperature was finally back to normal after days of being over 100.  Now just to keep it that way!  So I think I'm coming out of this.  DH is a couple days ahead of me and doing "well".  He finished his Paxlovid yesterday and I'll finish mine Tuesday morning.

Our kids have been great, DSIL giving medical advice, DS and DDIL brought us Easter dinner last night (porch drop) and we got a sweet FaceTime from the grandsons yesterday.  

Happy Anniversary wishes to @ger_77, @erewhon and @luvteaching!

Also Happy Birthday to @luvteaching!

Bon Voyage @aliaschief!

I'm sorry you were so sick, but glad you seem to be turning a corner and that the fever is gone.

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning Dailyites (it was AM when I started!). Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I like my name, so I'll keep it. I'll salute Churchill and those who were POW's, for what they endured. 

Funny quote; we have restaurants here called Eat'n Park, and people always say, shouldn't it be Park 'n Eat? The meal sounds tasty; shrimp is about the only seafood I'll eat; no special meal today for just me. I'll pass on the drink and wine.

I haven't been to this Puntarenas; we were supposed to stop on my Panama Canal transit in 2019, but they cancelled the port before the sailing and added Acapulco. We had planned to do the Rain Forest tram.

I dislike being rudely awakened! When I lose my landline phone, the house alarm system chirps to let me know there's trouble. That will be a thing of the past, as my friend who is an alarm installer (and did this system 25+ years ago) is coming tomorrow. Changes will have the system communicate by cellular signal, and I'll also be able to do stuff from my mobile phone. I'd told him with my vision issues that I have trouble seeing the keypads, even with my glasses. So, I was just about to put the fridge on the battery generator, when power was restored after about 2-1/2 hours. Apparently a car accident on the main drag around here (nearby to me) took down a power line. The knee still feels stiff, although maybe a touch less painful to bend.

Growing up, it was traditional to go to the boardwalk and walk along in one's easter finery after church! This was at the Jersey shore.

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for our start this Easter Sunday and the Puntarenas photos. 

@grapau27 Thank you for posting Fr. David's Easter sermon. 

@aliaschief Bon Voyage to you and Sue! Nice digs.

@kazu Good move on buying dinner, and nice of you to share with your neighbor when she returns.

@dfish Thanks for the recipes.

@richwmn Enjoy Cadiz!

@0106 Nice photos.

@kochleffel Thanks for the interesting information.

@Cruzin Terri Enjoy your dinner out.

@ottahand7 Thanks for the photos, both sets!

@marshhawk Sorry to hear about the leg cramps.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Great photos!

@luvteaching Enjoy these special occasions spending time with DH! 

@cruising sister Cute grandkids!

@Cruising-along Sorry the last few day were rough, but good news that you feel better today and that DH is doing well. Take it easy and lots of rest.

@GTVCRUISER Welcome home!

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebrations.

Be well everyone.

I hope the new security system works well for you.  It sounds like the steriod shot is beginning to work.  I hope it does help with the pain and stiffness.

39 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Sandi, very cute pictures of a very cute little girl.

Lenda

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

We have been Costa Rica many times docking at both Puntarenas and Puerto Caldera.   Some of our first visits were pre-digital, and there were a few post digital, with most docking at Puerto Caldera.  Since the tours to the interior of Costa Rica are the same, I thought I'd share some pictures from various tours.

In 2009 on Statendam, we visited the rain forest and did the aerial tram.  We could hear the people on the zip line as they passed overhead.  These are a few pictures of the tram and the rain forest.  We did see a few mynah birds and a couple of toucans, but pictures were difficult to get. 

IMG_5566.thumb.JPG.9fe578edc5597b4eac61aff0c67ed532.JPG 

IMG_5570.thumb.JPG.325889ff63f2fde5a61c1659391652d1.JPG

IMG_5571.thumb.JPG.014924b8d5cdeeb3ecd1bac94d64216e.JPG

IMG_5574.thumb.JPG.bdb765b6407f9b6b002a202671903c0b.JPG

In 2015, again on Statendam, we took a tour to San Jose along with stops in Grecia and Sochi.  But first, this pictures shows why along with road work tours are sometimes late returning to the ship.

DSC01892.thumb.JPG.510c0b1a029a885cb7a412a7e9015621.JPG

San Jose

DSC01893.thumb.JPG.9b49271acdceba1eae710819b345e694.JPG

The National Theater

DSC01911.thumb.JPG.0731b50902e0c4d844d76a9c77bb39f2.JPG

DSC01899.thumb.JPG.2306004d5985841a74a556eddae05792.JPG

DSC01906.thumb.JPG.e4d86a25553199927f14cde06ce222d6.JPG

A reception room in the theater.

DSC01903.thumb.JPG.cfaea3b2edb6392508ae8af94138fa72.JPG

DSC01905.thumb.JPG.8ca197420e06d9c0a24e4c959b2f74a7.JPG

Grecia and the "iron church", Iglesia de la Nuestra Senora de las Mercedes,  which built using sheet of Belgium metal that were riveted together.

DSC01003.JPG

DSC01004.thumb.JPG.87300eb07b3ad00db87ece57c90b483f.JPG

DSC01005.thumb.JPG.0b16c03ea4ea91edca8fb9ee6bc8e6a9.JPG

Another church, but I'm not sure if it is Grecia or Sarchi.

DSC01006.thumb.JPG.fd8578bdcd5e29ea88e60aacd97a1424.JPG

The factory in Sarchi where they make the painted wagons and other decorations.

DSC01012.thumb.JPG.03aa9a4fc5e6fe31135253f2039c33be.JPG

DSC01014.thumb.JPG.e229bfceb957ae22a303c1e22ef7c4a1.JPG

DSC01021.thumb.JPG.54370ac5839a1e54020363ac6a72b279.JPG

We've also gone to the cloud forest, where it poured, a coffee plantation. and taken the train along with a boat on a river to see crocodiles.  All these were pre-digital tours.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 5

Good Morning. And Happy Easter! 

@luvteachinghappy birthday and Happy anniversary! 
@ger_77happy anniversary! 
@erewhonhappy anniversary! 

@marshhawk you might want to up your potassium and magnesium,  my mother also swore (which she never actually did) by sleeping with a bar of soap. 

@Cruising-alonghope you turn the corner soon! 

@kochleffel thanks for sharing all the traditions!  Does one wish a good Passover?  

@StLouisCruisers that little face made my day! 

image.thumb.jpeg.6863e03585d87eacb7aba7d9d21ffe93.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, MISTER 67 said:

Things are looking a lot better but there are still quite a few homes that are waiting on new roofs. A lot of road signs are still missing. The Hampton Inn and Holliday Inn at exit 170 on I-75 still haven't opened.  We haven't heard much about Sanibel, most of the the talk has been about Ft. Myers Beach as that place was just about destroyed and the word is that big money is going to rebuild Ft.Myers Beach and will see large luxury hotels and restaurants popping up everywhere replacing a lot of the seedy bars and beach stores that once populated FMB. It will wind up looking more like the beaches of Naples with places like the Ritz Carlton and Ruth Chris steakhouses.

Wow, that's very interesting about Ft. Myers Beach is being rebuilt with all those fancy hotels and restaurants.  I'm glad it's not taken a long time to start work on it.  Guess I will have to dig in and find out what's happening in Sanibel.  It was such a cool place to vacation.

20 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

We have been Costa Rica many times docking at both Puntarenas and Puerto Caldera.   Some of our first visits were pre-digital, and there were a few post digital, with most docking at Puerto Caldera.  Since the tours to the interior of Costa Rica are the same, I thought I'd share some pictures from various tours.

In 2009 on Statendam, we visited the rain forest and did the aerial tram.  We could hear the people on the zip line as they passed overhead.  These are a few pictures of the tram and the rain forest.  We did see a few mynah birds and a couple of toucans, but pictures were difficult to get. 

In 2015, again on Statendam, we took a tour to San Jose along with stops in Grecia and Sochi.  But first, this pictures shows why along with road work tours are sometimes late returning to the ship.

San Jose

The National Theater

Grecia and the "iron church", Iglesia de la Nuestra Senora de las Mercedes,  which built using sheet of Belgium metal that were riveted together.

DSC01003.JPG

We've also gone to the cloud forest, where it poured, a coffee plantation. and taken the train along with a boat on a river to see crocodiles.  All these were pre-digital tours.

Lenda

Lenda thanks for your photos today, and thanks to anyone who posted and I failed to thank.

19 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

@StLouisCruisers She's so cute.  Thanks for sharing her beautiful face with us.

You're so welcome!

8 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Good Morning. And Happy Easter! 

@luvteachinghappy birthday and Happy anniversary! 
@ger_77happy anniversary! 
@erewhonhappy anniversary! 

@marshhawk you might want to up your potassium and magnesium,  my mother also swore (which she never actually did) by sleeping with a bar of soap. 

@kochleffel thanks for sharing all the traditions!  Does one wish a good Passover?  

@StLouisCruisers that little face made my day! 

image.thumb.jpeg.6863e03585d87eacb7aba7d9d21ffe93.jpeg

I know, I can't believe how cute she is! 

On the soap your Mom used for leg cramps, maybe that soap had potassium and magnesium in it.  Lol! 😂

7 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

@StLouisCruisers Thank you for sharing the darling photos of Elliot Rose!

@cruising sister - some reason the blue balloons aren't working for you but thank you for sharing the photo of your cute grandkids!  

Glad to share the photos of her.  I'm trying to figure out the familial relationship with Elliott Rose.  My niece's son is my grand nephew and his daughter is my what?  And why do some sources call grand nephews that and some call them great nephews?  Is there a difference?  Yikes!  Genealogy is not easy.

• Like 17

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thank you Sandi, it's nice to be feeling somewhat human again.  Elliott Rose is a beautiful baby, thanks for sharing the photos! 

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

I'm sorry you were so sick, but glad you seem to be turning a corner and that the fever is gone.

Lenda

Thank you Lenda!

47 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Thank you Brenda!  I think the corner was turned early this morning when my fever broke and my throat is much better today.  Now I just have a slight cough and feel weak and tired.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

San Jose

The National Theater

DSC01003.JPG

Lenda

Excellent photos Lenda.

Graham.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

Does one wish a good Passover?  

One could. "Happy Passover" is probably more common.

The most traditional would be "A sweet and kosher Passover" (said in Yiddish) but I haven't heard it in real life for a long time.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 9

40 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

One could. "Happy Passover" is probably more common.

The most traditional would be "A sweet and kosher Passover" (said in Yiddish) but I haven't heard it in real life for a long time.

Zissen pesach.

Gut yontif.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Hello, Dailyites!  Happy Easter and/or Passover.  Happy anniversaries and birthdays for the last few days that I have missed.  We are having a good time on Rotterdam, I’m not sure I have ever done 8 sea days in a row before, but I will do my best to accomplish absolutely nothing!  

• Like 14
  • Haha 1