The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday April 9th, 2023

Happy Easter to all who celebrate it.

It looks to be a rainy day here, but for now it is dry and the birds are singing.

Thank you to all who contribute in so many ways every day to this thread. Thank you to @grapau27 for Fr. David’s message and to @kochleffelfor the very interesting explanations of Jewish traditions.

Robin Williams was right, but thankfully I don’t experience rush hour anymore. His was a very sad loss.

I’ve been to the War Rooms In London and found it very interesting particularly as both of my parents were in Britain as children. Mum in London and Dad in Jersey under German occupation.

A very good book on Winston Churchill is “The Spendid and the Vile” by Erik Larson. 
I haven’t been to todays destination, but I’m sure I will one day.

Todays dinner won’t be shrimp, but Pork roast and Lemon Meringue Pie for dessert, which I should start baking about now.

Cheers to all.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, summer slope said:

@ottahand7 I would be interested in the cruises you posted.  All 3.  Can you give me the cruise voyage numbers.

@0106 straightened me out and this was the wrong port.   We were in Puerto Limon on the East coast on the Volendam on the Grand South America.  I think that Puerto Limon may appear on Panama Canal crossings and a few southern Caribbean itineraries.   Hope this helps.  Nancy 

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

@ottahand7

You all know I have a weird imagination, but your picture looks like a psychedelic Easter Bunny, with dreads.

bananaflwer1723.JPG.c9b189590fbe9e746f80e0ff437ef0f6.JPG

That is a banana flower.  On that whole tour it was one of the few flowers.  Just the wrong time of the year.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

@0106 straightened me out and this was the wrong port.   We were in Puerto Limon on the East coast on the Volendam on the Grand South America.  I think that Puerto Limon may appear on Panama Canal crossings and a few southern Caribbean itineraries.   Hope this helps.  Nancy 

I interpreted Tina's interest in the 3 ports to be the one you booked (legendary voyage) and the one on the front end and back end of that cruise.  Winter 2025.  Or I could be wrong 'cause I make mistakes all the time!

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

I was talking about the ones you found from Ft. Lauderdale through the canal to San Diego, then on to the Pacific from San Diego and back, Then back through the Canal to Ft. Lauderdale.

• Like 14

7 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Good Sunday Morning Dailyites!  Happy Easter.  DH and I did our grocery shopping last night, and bought two dark chocolate bunnies, a small bag of 40 flavors Jelly Belly Beans, and DH bought some dark chocolate sea salt caramel bars.  I also got some milk chocolate bunnies for my neighbor Donna.

Since we have been having breakfast out a lot this week post dr's appointments, and cooking huge fancy meals for just two isn't my style, I bought a ham steak, will make potato salad and deviled eggs, and have some corn on the cob.  Our feast.  Before the time of covid, we would go out to a buffet at stone mountain park, and make pigs of ourselves.  Truth is , now we just don't eat as much, so why waste the money.

I get leg cramps.  I have found that if I wear socks at night, that they are not as bad.  But sometime after 4, my feet got way too warm, and i took off the socks, at 5:45 I had cramps in both legs. so I got up and lathered Theraworks on both legs, took a low dose aspirin, drank some water and went back to sleep. Had the craziest dreams!  And woke up at 8:30 with eg cramps, at this point I figured I should just get up.

My father had three uncles, all three served in the Civil War.  Only 1 survived, he was a POW at Andersonville.  My dad had a picture of the family with their old Stanley Steamer vehicle, and sure enough there was the uncle.  My dad was about 5 years old in the picture.  He said his uncle was very strange. After visiting Andersonville, and finding his name on the list of POW's, I can understand why he was a little "off".(Dad's mom was the youngest child, and there were 20 plus years between her and her brothers.)

The sky is blue and clear, and my computer shows a picture of the sun with two clouds, it looks like an Easter egg.  Temperature is 42. 

@JazzyVI hope your power comes back soon, you aren't having storms, very weird.  Here we lose power a lot due to the squirrels.

@grapau27Thank you so much for bringing us Father David.  Tell him we say "hey". 

I hope you all have a wonderful happy and blessed day.

Thank you.

When we chat after church service I always mention the Dailyites to him and he is always appreciative for all of your kind words.

Graham.

• Like 14

2 minutes ago, summer slope said:

I was talking about the ones you found from Ft. Lauderdale through the canal to San Diego, then on to the Pacific from San Diego and back, Then back through the Canal to Ft. Lauderdale.

I haven't found those yet.   I will have to start looking what they are offering in 2024 to get an idea what will be going to SD from FL and vice versa in 2025.   They have very few cruises listed for 2025 and most of them are Grand or Legendary,  probably in a few months.  Our friends on the Volendam looked into heading back to the west coast out of FL on a Panama Canal cruise but they were sold out at the last minute when they looked.  I will let everyone know if we can pull this off as we really hate to fly.  Nancy 

• Like 15

Easter.jpg.c1f74fb83da996e987b82ee65db20192.jpg

After only sleeping 4 hours Friday night, and cleaning the house and going in the attic yesterday, I slept 8 12. hours last night.  I woke to cloudy skies but no wind.  It is currently 60F and will reach 71F this afternoon, with a slim chance of rain.

Since I'm late today, I repost my pictures from Puntarenas and then go back through the Daily.

We have been to Puerto Caldera (Puntarenas) many times.  It is the port for the interior of Costa Rica, and we've done many tours there.  Our last cruise in Janaury 2020 on the Rotterdam, stopped there on both legs of the b2b Panama Canal cruise.  Since we'd been to San Jose, etc., several times, we just took the shuttle into Puntarenas and walked around.

I share our pictures from that day, and come back and read the Daily later.  Unfortunately, the house is telling me it's time to clean it.  😱

DSC08976.thumb.JPG.178345f6bce556e713b6c76162540aa8.JPG

DSC08632.thumb.JPG.eee84582d3f88602d953cbe280f13ee8.JPG

DSC08634.thumb.JPG.e0369a2fab8d6cae55c8311b84c31549.JPG

DSC08635.thumb.JPG.4b2765403af8f18396b44373ef457e82.JPG

DSC08633.thumb.JPG.d16708d069ad4f8fb8ce23a7d7a285e2.JPG

DSC08977.thumb.JPG.80c2992a865970ae0c8df3efce21f45b.JPG

DSC08980.thumb.JPG.e6bf2d80c9a3d53b3d5d3c06334e5a94.JPG

Lenda

Happy Easter to all who celebrate the day.  For those observing Passover and Ramadan, I hope the observances continue to be joyful and meaningful.

After only getting 4 hours sleep Friday night and cleaning the house and going in the attic yesterday, I slept 8 1/2 hours last night.  I woke to cloudy skies, but no wind.  It is currently 60F and should reach 71F later this afternoon, but with only a slim chance of rain.  

Since I'm late today, I post my pictures from Puntarenas then go back through the Daily.

We have been to Puerto Caldera (Puntarenas) many times.  It is the port for the interior of Costa Rica, and we've done many tours there.  Our last cruise in January 2020 on the Rotterdam, stopped there on both legs of the b2b Panama Canal cruise.  Since we'd been to San Jose, etc., several times, we just took the shuttle into Puntarenas and walked around.

I will share our pictures from that day.  

DSC08976.thumb.JPG.178345f6bce556e713b6c76162540aa8.JPG

DSC08632.thumb.JPG.eee84582d3f88602d953cbe280f13ee8.JPG

DSC08634.thumb.JPG.e0369a2fab8d6cae55c8311b84c31549.JPG

DSC08635.thumb.JPG.4b2765403af8f18396b44373ef457e82.JPG

DSC08633.thumb.JPG.d16708d069ad4f8fb8ce23a7d7a285e2.JPG

DSC08977.thumb.JPG.80c2992a865970ae0c8df3efce21f45b.JPG

DSC08980.thumb.JPG.e6bf2d80c9a3d53b3d5d3c06334e5a94.JPG

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 9

@marshhawk DH has suffered from leg cramps, but since he started drinking Gatorade daily has only had the occasional one.  Your electrolytes are out of balance, and bringing them back where they should will likely mean you have way less cramps.  You can get electrolyte powder to mix with water if you don’t want the added sugar, and there’s always sugar free Gatorade as well.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

Gerry @ger_77 I'm glad to hear you are having such a fine weekend with your kids and grandkids.  Let me wish you happy anniversary again today since I got my wires crossed and had written down the 8th for you.  Therefore you probably didn't see my early anniversary wishes yesterday.  Hoping the family is also having a wonderful Easter celebrating with you and DH.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIz6YBIPBo46kGiRNGz3ng_V7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1666872933

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all,

And Happy Easter to all who celebrate on this day. DH and I went last night and will spend today packing. And doing the things around the house. DH will work on the day before we leave, so today is “It”. Yesterdays ride was beautiful. We had lots of mustard and another yellow flower all over the hills. Some of the mustard is now over 7’ tall.

Thank you all for posting Punta Arena pictures and information. This is a new port for us and I’m thinking about changing my shorex. DH is doing the zip line. I’ll do ski lifts, but it’s a big “no way” to be suspended with nothing below me. (Ya, I know it’s not logical.)

Adding: is that craft booth/ outdoor market near the dock?

@kochleffel Thank you for sharing. I’m wondering how rye or oats would hold together to make a matzoh???

@dfish I’m filing the recipe for today.

Havwe a great day everyone!

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 19

Good morning everyone!

Happy Easter to all who celebrate. @ger_77 Happy Anniversary! I can't seem to remember if our anniversary has fallen on Easter Sunday before. Do you? I know we got married on Easter weekend but I just am not recalling that it's fallen on this day as well. 

Thank you to everyone for all the good wishes. It's a fairly quiet morning and wind and rain are in the forecast. I'm going to make some chocolate chip cookies for the nurses and staff at the hospital and take them today. DH has requested a chocolate shake and I'll get my "free" birthday treat at Starbucks. The day will be spent at the hospital. I have a good friend who will make my birthday cake - German Sweet Chocolate - and another friend had flowers delivered yesterday. After the last two weeks just getting to spend the day with DH is the highpoint on my list. 

If the local Boomers Drive-In is open today I'm going to treat myself to a Chicken Swiss Bacon burger with mushrooms tonight. It's soooo good and a definite indulgence! 

Have a good day everyone and thank you so much for all your kind wishes! 

Karen

• Like 23

Good morning again.  I don't know exactly what happened with my first post.   I was trying to edit it when part of it seemed to disappear, so I redid the first part of the post.  It was only after the edit time was over that I realized most of it was there with the pictures before and after the text.  While everything is double, at least, the post didn't post twice.  😁

I'll stick with the name I was given or Mom, the name the DDs call me.  Winston Churchill was an interesting man, and we also enjoyed visiting the War Rooms when we spent several days in London after a cruise.  I honor all POWs, but we didn't have any in our family that I know about.  This is a memorial in Hanoi honoring their most famous POW, John McCain.  The Vietnamese have great respect for their former prisoner because of the way he conducted himself while a prisoner.

DSC05316.thumb.JPG.81db3cec8dfadd088e878f98897b3e88.JPG

The Robin Williams quote is very true, and we were lucky to rarely have a long rush hour commutes.

We'll pass on the meal, although I do make grilled shrimp but with Old Bay seasoning.  I also don't make couscous.  If we don't want to use the outdoor grill, I use an electric indoor grill or simply a skillet on the stove.  We'll also pass on the drink and the wine.

@aliaschief  Another great batch of memes today, Bruce.

@kazu  Good to see you here today, Jacqui.

@dfish  Enjoy your Easter dinner, Debbie.  I know Sue will be happy when she can officially move into your new house.

@richwmn  Rich, thanks for the additional history lesson.  Enjoy Cadiz.

@kochleffel  Paul, again thanks for helping us understand Passover and all the traditions.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, enjoy your day off and your dinner out.

@ger_77  Gerry, it sounds like you and DH are having a wonderful time with the family.

@marshhawk  Annie, from what I've read about Andersonville, your DF's uncle had a very rough time there. 

@luvteaching  Karen, you have some very nice neighbors.  Enjoy your day with your DH.

@aliaschief  Bruce, glad you are safely and quickly on board.

@MISTER 67  Welcome home.

@GTVCRUISER  Welcome home.

Lenda

• Like 19

Happy everything today,  there is too many to mention. I plan on a quiet Sunday. I went to my sons early this morning and had breakfast. They will be celebrating with DDIL family later. They invited me but I am ok with a quiet day (they  are a bit strange and I feel a bit  uncomfortable around them).

I am not sure what it means when the DGK’s lined up their Easter treats!! 

63889111-7C29-4B2C-81FC-C6C45C1F5133.jpeg

57AB1379-BDA4-4CED-91D5-BB3E2D6C8CF7.jpeg

• Like 22
  • Haha 1

A quick hello from "Covid Central" and Happy Easter to all who celebrate.

I've missed a lot of the news here, Covid knocked me down for a few days.  The 3rd night was the worst and I honestly feared things would continue downward.  Yesterday I had no voice due to my throat being so sore and raw.  I haven't had a sore throat that bad since having my tonsils out as a child. But this morning my temperature was finally back to normal after days of being over 100.  Now just to keep it that way!  So I think I'm coming out of this.  DH is a couple days ahead of me and doing "well".  He finished his Paxlovid yesterday and I'll finish mine Tuesday morning.

Our kids have been great, DSIL giving medical advice, DS and DDIL brought us Easter dinner last night (porch drop) and we got a sweet FaceTime from the grandsons yesterday.  

Happy Anniversary wishes to @ger_77, @erewhon and @luvteaching!

Also Happy Birthday to @luvteaching!

Bon Voyage @aliaschief!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Good morning Dailyites (it was AM when I started!). Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I like my name, so I'll keep it. I'll salute Churchill and those who were POW's, for what they endured. 

Funny quote; we have restaurants here called Eat'n Park, and people always say, shouldn't it be Park 'n Eat? The meal sounds tasty; shrimp is about the only seafood I'll eat; no special meal today for just me. I'll pass on the drink and wine.

I haven't been to this Puntarenas; we were supposed to stop on my Panama Canal transit in 2019, but they cancelled the port before the sailing and added Acapulco. We had planned to do the Rain Forest tram.

I dislike being rudely awakened! When I lose my landline phone, the house alarm system chirps to let me know there's trouble. That will be a thing of the past, as my friend who is an alarm installer (and did this system 25+ years ago) is coming tomorrow. Changes will have the system communicate by cellular signal, and I'll also be able to do stuff from my mobile phone. I'd told him with my vision issues that I have trouble seeing the keypads, even with my glasses. So, I was just about to put the fridge on the battery generator, when power was restored after about 2-1/2 hours. Apparently a car accident on the main drag around here (nearby to me) took down a power line. The knee still feels stiff, although maybe a touch less painful to bend.

Growing up, it was traditional to go to the boardwalk and walk along in one's easter finery after church! This was at the Jersey shore.

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for our start this Easter Sunday and the Puntarenas photos. 

@grapau27 Thank you for posting Fr. David's Easter sermon. 

@aliaschief Bon Voyage to you and Sue! Nice digs.

@kazu Good move on buying dinner, and nice of you to share with your neighbor when she returns.

@dfish Thanks for the recipes.

@richwmn Enjoy Cadiz!

@0106 Nice photos.

@kochleffel Thanks for the interesting information.

@Cruzin Terri Enjoy your dinner out.

@ottahand7 Thanks for the photos, both sets!

@marshhawk Sorry to hear about the leg cramps.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Great photos!

@luvteaching Enjoy these special occasions spending time with DH! 

@cruising sister Cute grandkids!

@Cruising-along Sorry the last few day were rough, but good news that you feel better today and that DH is doing well. Take it easy and lots of rest.

@GTVCRUISER Welcome home!

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebrations.

Be well everyone.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 5

Just back from our cruise on the Refection, very nice cruise with no complaints except the ship was packed at 400 above capacity due to a lot of kids who for the most part were well behaved.

We walked off this AM at 7:20 and in our car at 7:35, would have been earlier but we cruised from and returned to pier 29 which can be a pain in the neck as if you drive to the port you have to take a shuttle bus from the mid-port garage to pier 29. Made it back to Punta Gorda in pretty good time returning at 9:50.

Thanks for the Bon Voyage wishes and welcome back comments.

Back to work tomorrow with an 8AM tee time.

Things are starting to get back to normal as quite a few snowbirds have made their migration north, by the end of April it will just be us locals and traffic will be bearable again and the restaurants will be not as crowded. Hard to believe we have been residents of Florida for 30 years now, seen lot of changes in those 30 years especially with traffic in the Naples-Bonita Springs-FT. Myers area where we lived for 17 years, when we moved in 1993 Interstate 75 in southwest Florida was only 2 lanes in each direction, it's now 3 lanes in each direction and word is we will soon see 4 lanes in each direction, not quite like Chicago but getting close.

Hope everyone is doing well and in good health, one of these days I will start posting again on a daily basis.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 22