What cruise would you rec for 70+ first time cruiser who suffers from sea sickness?

Eli_6

My husband told me that his parents are wanting to go on a cruise.  For years, their vacations have always involved driving somewhere like Colorado or Michigan and doing outdoorsy things.  They have only even been a plane a handful of times...usually to go to Las Vegas or California or the Northeast...somewhere that is a bit far to drive to from Texas.   My father-in-law has traditionally been very anti-cruise, but I guess our cruising has changed his mind. My in-laws mentioned to my husband that they were looking at the 8 day Dream out of Galveston.  However, my father-in-law cannot go offshore fishing because he gets sea-sick so I have concerns about them doing that cruise because it goes across the gulf and can sometimes get rough. Also, I can see him getting annoyed with the big crowds, lots of kids and party atmosphere. I personally think that they need to do an Alaskan cruise.  It is a much more low-key crowd, they will love the sights, and I don't think the boat will rock as much.  Any other itineraries you would recommend?  If they do Alaska, which Carnival boat would you rec?  We did the Splendor before and I liked it...although, the circles and the pink may be a bit much for my FIL.  I know the Luminosa is cruising next summer from there.   Any thoughts on that ship? 

An Alaska cruise on the Inside Passage would be a good choice.  As you said, the scenery is beautiful and it's almost like cruising on a river it's so smooth.  However, crossing the Gulf of Alaska to get between the Inside Passage and Seward/Anchorage can be a bit rough at times but that would only be for a day or so.

We missed our day in Victoria because we were unable to dock due to rough seas but we have been 4x's and this was the only time. Personally with the exception of Alaska, I would probably recommend a short cruise initially with a room in the middle of the ship and down low. 

Edited by dbrucern

During our Alaskan cruise last May, we experienced extremely rough waters for a few days.

We went on the Miracle out of San Fran.  It was a great ship.  Never felt crowded.

To be honest, the way you describe his likes and dislikes AND seasickness, it doesn't sound like cruising is for him....just sayin......

• Like 1

This involves a long plane trip, but what about something in Europe? My first thought was a Baltic cruise, but a Mediterranean cruise either East or West would also have fantastic ports. Any of those should be smooth sailing.

Alaska had some of the roughest seas for us (out of about 25 cruises).  However, based on what you have said, I do think they would enjoy that itenerary.

For our first cruise when I was not sure how we'd tolerate the motion, I booked a 6 day western Caribbean with 4 ports, figuring that if we struggled with sea sickness at least we could get break in port most days.

I hear what yall are saying about Alaska sometimes being rough, but I don't think the itineraries that depart from Seattle go up to Anchorage so I think you are pretty much within sight of land for all but maybe the first day.  

1 minute ago, Eli_6 said:

I hear what yall are saying about Alaska sometimes being rough, but I don't think the itineraries that depart from Seattle go up to Anchorage so I think you are pretty much within sight of land for all but maybe the first day.  

We always depart from Seattle for Alaska - I'm not sure why, but we had really rough seas one day of the trip.  Like I couldn't even walk down the corridor to our room without hitting the walls.  We were on Panorama for hurricane Kay (and Alaska was worse than that).  But it was only one day so maybe an isolated incident.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I'd say the largest ship possible. Mardi Gras, Celebration, Jubilee.

Yeah, Jubilee might be a good option out of Galveston.  They would not have to fly then. 

• Like 1

I definitely agree that taking one of the larger ships would cut down on the sea sickness. I get sick on fishing boats also. I was just on MG last week and didn't have any issues. When I go out on the Paradise I feel it most nights. Also, I take meclizine if I start to feel a little woozy. 

42 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

Yeah, Jubilee might be a good option out of Galveston.  They would not have to fly then. 

I guess you are wedded to carnival no matter what.

Agree a lot less motion on larger ships and not during hurricane season. Galveston has allure with the real broadway play mama mia right now. You book shows in different parts of the ship so crowds are less than on smaller ships.

Some say so big you lose the ocean .. but for a first timer, less motion. I just got off a smaller ship and lots more motion.

Allure leaves and then harmony which does grease. Not excerpts. The big ships pay royalties and do the action broadway production.  Nothing I've seen beats mama mia. 

Though I'd love jubilee myself.  Flying adds stress. Go out of Galveston first time.

• Like 1

I’ve taken the Carnival Mardi Gras 2x on the Eastern Caribbean route—smooth as glass both times; I had someone who suffers from severe motion sickness on one of the trips—she took Bonine as a preventative just in case, but had no problems.  The larger the ship, generally,  the smoother the trip. I think overall Eastern Caribbean is smoother than Western Caribbean.

That said (big caveat) rough seas can unexpectedly happen for any ship.  Right now there are several ships in the Eastern Caribbean that have hit very rough seas, including a couple of ships that couldn’t even port in Nassau this week. So you truly never know.

Also if you do a very large ship, if they don’t like crowds and can afford it, try to book something like a Havana room that gives you access to a less-crowded area, or at least a suite which gives you a bit more room to “escape” to if the crowds become too much.

• Like 2

If he is able to do the plane trip, the Mediterranean was an amazing experience.  We never knew when the ship was moving or standing still.  We flew first class to Paris a few days early and then took a short hopper to Barcelona. (the original plan was to take the train but they were on strike when we were there.) We didn't want to spend the extra on first class on the way home...that was a mistake... if we ever do it again, we would book first class both ways. 

5 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

You are correct @Eli_6. The 7 nighters from Seattle (especially Carnival) typically hit the 3 primary ports of Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway then returning with a quick stop in BC.

I'd have them look at that same route on HAL. From Seattle that gets all the way into Glacier Bay before returning.  True bucket list stuff. 

(I know I'm on a Carnival board but that Eurodam itinerary beats anything Carnival has, hands down.) 

• Like 2

On 4/11/2023 at 7:41 AM, Eli_6 said:

My husband told me that his parents are wanting to go on a cruise.  For years, their vacations have always involved driving somewhere like Colorado or Michigan and doing outdoorsy things.  They have only even been a plane a handful of times...usually to go to Las Vegas or California or the Northeast...somewhere that is a bit far to drive to from Texas.   My father-in-law has traditionally been very anti-cruise, but I guess our cruising has changed his mind. My in-laws mentioned to my husband that they were looking at the 8 day Dream out of Galveston.  However, my father-in-law cannot go offshore fishing because he gets sea-sick so I have concerns about them doing that cruise because it goes across the gulf and can sometimes get rough. Also, I can see him getting annoyed with the big crowds, lots of kids and party atmosphere. I personally think that they need to do an Alaskan cruise.  It is a much more low-key crowd, they will love the sights, and I don't think the boat will rock as much.  Any other itineraries you would recommend?  If they do Alaska, which Carnival boat would you rec?  We did the Splendor before and I liked it...although, the circles and the pink may be a bit much for my FIL.  I know the Luminosa is cruising next summer from there.   Any thoughts on that ship? 

I also vote for Alaska, round trip Seattle.  Instead of driving, how about taking the train?  Will add some extra days, but maybe the motion of the train just might get him used to the swaying of a ship.  Just a thought. 

3 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

I am not getting them to Europe.  Already tried that.  I am going to recommend that they look into Princess, HAL, or Celebrity.  

Excellent idea. They may appreciate a less lively atmosphere than Carnival. And since seas sickness is a concern, have them see their family health care provider. There are several preventive approaches that can be taken, but at their age, medical approval would be wise. I get motion sickness on just about every type of moving vehicle, but Bonine at bed time every night of a cruise does the trick.  But again I want to stress that they seek approval from their health care provider.

23 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

The Seattle itineraries have an increased potential for rough seas than those from Vancouver. Even being in sight of land is no guarantee of smooth seas. I worked the BC & Alaska coasts for over 30 yrs and have experienced numerous storms within sight of land all months of the year.

If you want a guarantee of smooth sailing, check our river cruises.