Does Anyone Have The Date for January 2024 Yeshiva Cruise?

41 minutes ago, orville99 said:

On Wonder in January, I would estimate ~600-700 total. Like I said before, it was hard to tell, because unless DW pointed out to me how she could tell who was who, the entire group was largely indistinguishable from the other 6,000+ passengers (other than people in this group were an order of magnitude more polite and respectful than a lot of others on board).

Thanks. We’ve been on Oasis class with groups this size or larger. Except for an occasional private  party one evening in the solarium or  a private concert one evening in the theater there has never been a venue closed  all week. As a frequent cruiser, it is no problem for me but first time or occasional cruisers might be disappointed. 

Thanks for the info. 
m

Edited by cruisegirl1

3 hours ago, orville99 said:

If someone requires Kosher meals on any cruise, they can make arrangements with special dining needs pre-cruise, and all of their meals are prepared shoreside in a Kosher kitchen, packaged and frozen (along with all of the utensils, etc.) and delivered to the ship on TAD. Once on board, their meals are prepped in the original packaging and delivered to their table unopened. After the meal, everything is disposed of so there is no possibility of re-use.

Years ago we were on a cruise and a gentleman and 2 young ladies (we assumed his daughters) sat next to us.  Every night his meal came like you say, in a rectangle package with cellophane on top that he pulled back to open when it was served. Sorry, but it did NOT look or smell appetizing.  The two girls are off the menu. We figured it must have been kosher. 

2 hours ago, goldfish65 said:

People are reporting behavior that negatively impacted their experience. Doesn't mean they are bigoted as some replies suggest. 

Exactly

Just now, sdrocks said:

They most definitely were in the WJ. There was a kosher area for them and the Kosher food supervisor was there with his name tag displayed as that.  They ate off disposable dishes, etc.  Have no clue if considered kosher or not, but that's what the signs said. Quit criticizing events you have no clue about.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sdrocks said:

They most definitely were in the WJ. There was a kosher area for them and the Kosher food supervisor was there with his name tag displayed as that.  They ate off disposable dishes, etc.  Have no clue if considered kosher or not, but that's what the signs said. Quit criticizing events you have no clue about.

I’ve not seen that yet. I didn’t criticize, I just said that we saw someone in the MDR having kosher meal once. That was not meant as criticism. Just an observation.

13 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Going back to that website I referenced above, people are paying an EXTRA $70 PER DAY to get these Kosher meals.  That's a pretty steep surcharge.  

That is a $10/pp/per day increase from what they were charging in January of this year, and from what I remember, it makes no difference in the price if you are an adult or a child, and the price quoted doesn't include the 18% vig.

19 minutes ago, orville99 said:

That is a $10/pp/per day increase from what they were charging in January of this year, and from what I remember, it makes no difference in the price if you are an adult or a child, and the price quoted doesn't include the 18% vig.

Flyer posted by @Ourusualbeach

Adults = $70pppd

Kids 6-12 = $35 pppd

Kids 5 and under = Free

image.thumb.png.10d28b13a464c44842c2f81aae69f99d.png

Sticking my two cents in. 

Families that would be on a Yeshiva Cruise would be sending their children to a Yeshiva and would for the most part be dressed as Orville99 said two posts above.  In addition to the covering clothes, the woman would have a scarf or other cover on their hair and men would be wearing a hat or yarmulke.  They would NOT eat non kosher food and would be highly unlikely to eat anything prepared in a kitchen that has not been completely kashered (the process of making the kitchen acceptable for kosher food prep).  I am not saying they wouldn't eat in the MDR or Windjammer but if they did, they'd have one of the pre-packaged meals.  As for washing hands, whomever said that about being a religious ritual was correct plus there would be prayer before and after eating --- almost definitely while still at the table.  

If someone was not observant enough to observe all those restrictions, it's highly unlikely that an average person would be able to tell by looking that someone was part of Yeshiva week.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Another_Critic said:

2023 flyer has kids price break, but it doesn't mention 18% gratuity.

image.png.8ea015a43f3ea0b8ae4a747161532cdd.png

When we went out to book our specialty dining package on this cruise, I can assure you that what is in this travel agent flyer was not represented by what was presented on the cruise planner page. Maybe it showed up when one actually booked the Kosher package, but it did not show up prior.

15 minutes ago, orville99 said:

When we went out to book our specialty dining package on this cruise, I can assure you that what is in this travel agent flyer was not represented by what was presented on the cruise planner page. Maybe it showed up when one actually booked the Kosher package, but it did not show up prior.

There is NO WAY that Royal IT screwed up!  😄

When checking in for a cruise last year I noticed a large number of families with all the males wearing yarmulkes. Far more than I have seen on any cruise in the past.

I can't remember if it was a HAL or NCL ship, did both about the same time. Did see signs near one of the conference rooms about Kosher cruising. I thought it was maybe a cruise explaining to TAs/trip organizers how the line caters to Kosher guests. That is just a guess on my part.

Being from a rural Christian community I found myself looking up things online to understand what the "hats and belts" meant and symbolized. I was generally interested in learning more about a religion I have not been exposed to in my area. Whole group was well behaved and non-intrusive, I would not hesitate to sail with them again. Bad behavior and poor parenting are not based on religion (or lack there-of). Having said that, I would prefer to sail at a time when ships are not overrun with kids - just personal preference at this point in my life.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

You don't "celebrate" Yeshiva.  It is referred to as Yeshiva week because a school which is called a yeshiva, a type of Orthodox Jewish school, is taking its winter break.  Why is it taking its winter break in January?  What would you expect?  CHRISTMAS BREAK?  NO.  They don't close for CHRISTMAS.  They take winter break in January.

So over Christmas, through New Year's, you have ships STUFFED with children, and there are many tales of horrible behavior.  I myself posted earlier in this thread about summer cruises where the number of children aboard approaches 50%, and it's a less than stellar experience.

So in January, you have a teeny tiny itsy bitsy subset of a very very very very small percentage of the U.S. population having a break from school.  An even tinier fraction of those who attend a yeshiva go on a cruise.  And only some of them go on a Royal Caribbean cruise.

So everyone can stop having fevered nightmares and just cruise or don't cruise.

I wish you fair winds and following seas.

🙂 

Bella2 was  moved to 1st week in feb. Originally someone picked about the 3rd week in January. 

If the solarium might be closed for breakfast/lunch. Then I agreed it was better to move it than take the chance. I eat in the solarium quite a bit to avoid crowds early in the morning. Wonder of the seas. I had just booked the January date with next cruise, but my ta moved it. I booked refundable and had the booking sent to him .. didnt hurt me .. but we changed because of the solarium possibly being closed. Or so I was told. 

We had over 2k kids on Bella1  ...wonder bella2 cant be much worse?

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Remember, Bella 01 was during Spring break.  I never encountered bad behavior by these kids.  Although very evident around the ship, no kids running amok in the WJ, pressing elevator buttons or disrupting anything we were engaged in.  We were busy having a great cruise. Just our perception. 

We enjoyed going to Solarium for breakfast and I too would be unhappy if it was closed to us. Park Cafe was always quiet and Central Park a lovely, quiet oasis. After all we WERE on the Oasis for Bella 01. 😃

As far as Yeshiva week, I would try to avoid any cruise with a large group. I prefer having all venues open to me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Bella2 was  moved to 1st week in feb. Originally someone picked about the 3rd week in January. 

If the solarium might be closed for breakfast/lunch. Then I agreed it was better to move it than take the chance. I eat in the solarium quite a bit to avoid crowds early in the morning. Wonder of the seas. I had just booked the January date with next cruise, but my ta moved it. I booked refundable and had the booking sent to him .. didnt hurt me .. but we changed because of the solarium possibly being closed. Or so I was told. 

2,000 kids on an Oasis class ship is not unusual at all.  With the kids sail free promotion happening almost continually, large numbers of kids is now the norm.

We have cruised the last two years on Yeshiva.  Both on Oasis class ships, both out of Port Canaveral.  Since I enjoy the Solarium and their more 'healthy' foods, I was disappointed to not eat there, but overall okay with it.  The first time it all went fine and I hardly gave the large group a thought.  This year on the Wonder, it was a different story.  Met some wonderful people cruising with that group.  However, now that I know what time of the year to avoid, I will.  For some reason, this group was different than our prior experience.  

Just because it's a fun way to add to this thread.....................

During at least one, and possibly two (maybe three?) recent transatlantics, there were so many Pinnacles on board that they closed the Solarium and only Pinnacles were permitted to eat there.  (because they weren't allowed in Coastal Kitchen)

So, perhaps you may wish to avoid transatlantics.

8 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Just because it's a fun way to add to this thread.....................

During at least one, and possibly two (maybe three?) recent transatlantics, there were so many Pinnacles on board that they closed the Solarium and only Pinnacles were permitted to eat there.  (because they weren't allowed in Coastal Kitchen)

So, perhaps you may wish to avoid transatlantics.

That has nothing to do with rude and obnoxious behavior

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mets123 said:

That has nothing to do with rude and obnoxious behavior

well, that is debatable! 😀  ONLY KIDDING, I couldn't resist.   Please do not attack me or Pinnacles.  

ONLY KIDDING  

M

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Haha 2

• LauraS locked this topic