Bringing a bottle onboard

federalexpress

6 hours ago, federalexpress said:

Yes you could argue wine and fortified wine are two different categories but the question remains, given Princess do not reference the category 'fortified wine' in their rules,

They are making a positive statement telling you what is allowed. Why should they also need to tell you what is not allowed?

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

JMHO but I think we're overthinking this. 

1. Its supposed to be 1st bottle per adult per voyage for no charge, $20 charge for every bottle over that

2. Previous T&C stated no fortified wine but that was omitted

3. Table is manned less frequently after introduction of Plus / Premier fares so perhaps its gone away. Actually I personally haven't seen one this year. 

Has anyone seen the wine table at boarding or when returning to the ship after the introduction of Standard / Plus / Premier fares? 

If by wine table, you mean a table by the gangway where you are supposed to turn over any wine of liquor you purchased in port, yes.  I didn’t realized I could have a bottle of wine stickered there. I saw the table of bottle snatchers at embarkation and again in at least 2 ports.  In Jamaica, I turned over a bottle of rum.  In Grand Cayman, I ignored them and brought 2 cans of beer back to my cabin.  They were positioned past the stairway I took to my cabin two decks up.  It would be more effective closer to the entrance.

1 hour ago, brisalta said:

They are making a positive statement telling you what is allowed. Why should they also need to tell you what is not allowed?

No they are telling you what is not allowed too. Spirits and liquor. And beer. And so I ask, where do fortified wines fit in. If they are not allowed, why not specify that. Let's be honest, they just haven't thought it through in much detail, probably because these are likely not popular drinks onboard, in fact I doubt they sell white port or oloroso sherry. So it's understandable in a way but not much use to those who would like to know if it can be brought on, or not, even with a corkage fee. As you might have gleaned from the answers on here, it doesn't seem clear either way in practise.

Edited by federalexpress
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Good information, thank you all. I have some questions: do we need to bring wine bottle opener and stopper ourselves? Or can the cabin steward provide them? Will the cabin steward provide us wine glasses?

Thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brisalta said:

They do say what is not allowed. Fortified wine no longer listed:

Screenshot_20230502-105405_Chrome.thumb.jpg.95eb4bb2ba8ae603fe0aaeb67913d10c.jpg

FWIW I've found water in cans but it's easier to just buy a dz bottles for $7.08

25 minutes ago, CCBB said:

Good information, thank you all. I have some questions: do we need to bring wine bottle opener and stopper ourselves? Or can the cabin steward provide them? Will the cabin steward provide us wine glasses?

Thanks.

No, they are not really available to be borrowed.  Many years back, I bought one for a good price at a Vines, but last Fall when I forgot to bring one to Italy, I went down to Vines and they no longer have them, not would bartender loan me one.  I bought one in port.  I just used the corks to re-seal the bottle.  My intention is to always bring a waiter's style corkscrew.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ombud said:

Has anyone seen the wine table at boarding or when returning to the ship after the introduction of Standard / Plus / Premier fares? 

Last Fall, in Italy, I observed a table just beyond security screening and prior to heading upstairs for check-in that I presumed was for the wine table, but it was not staffed (just a bare table).  We were among the first 50 or so to enter the terminal and I have mostly found tables to be unoccupied that early (including Port Everglades).

ETA:  Perhaps it was there for folks to set things down and re-assemble themselves after security screening, but the screening is pretty casual and nothing like TSA.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

As others have already mentioned, you can ask your cabin steward for a corkscrew.  Like @Steelers36 we just use the cork to close up unfinished bottles.

However, we don't take chances   Every suitcase we own has a corkscrew stashed someplace  in it.  😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, XBGuy said:

As others have already mentioned, you can ask your cabin steward for a corkscrew.  Like @Steelers36 we just use the cork to close up unfinished bottles.

However, we don't take chances   Every suitcase we own has a corkscrew stashed someplace  in it.  😉

What is an unfinished bottle?

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

I was on the Sapphire, March 5-April 6, 2023 for a 32 day South America cruise.  On that cruise I was purchasing Argentine and Chilean wines on shore and paying the corkage fee so that I could drink them with dinner in the dining room.   In addition to the corkage fee, I was also charged the 18% gratuity ($3.60) on top of the $20 corkage, total of $23.60.  I complained to customer service on the ship and on my post cruise survey.  Customer service told me that the March 5 cruise was the first cruise they were charging the additional gratuity on top of the corkage.

I'm wondering if the Sapphire Princess is still charging the 18% gratuity on top of the corkage fee.   Has anyone been charged this additional fee on the fee, on the Sapphire Alaska cruises?

Edited by lindberg
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Ombud said:

I was sent to the crew manned wine table by security in Vancouver 3 days ago when I boarded Sapphire. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lindberg said:

I was on the Sapphire, March 5-April 6, 2023 for a 32 day South America cruise.  On that cruise I was purchasing Argentine and Chilean wines on shore and paying the corkage fee so that I could drink them with dinner in the dining room.   In addition to the corkage fee, I was also charged the 18% gratuity ($3.60) on top of the $20 corkage, total of $23.60.  I complained to customer service on the ship and on my post cruise survey.  Customer service told me that the March 5 cruise was the first cruise they were charging the additional gratuity on top of the corkage.

I'm wondering if the Sapphire Princess is still charging the 18% gratuity on top of the corkage fee.   Has anyone been charged this additional fee on the fee, on the Sapphire Alaska cruises?

*****?!? I'd adjust the daily gratuity to deduct that. A 'gratuity' or tip is for services rendered and charging $20 is not a 'service rendered' IMHO 

1 minute ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I posted his picture on the Live From for this Sapphire Sailing I am on right now. There are 2 on the Sapphire Royal class have 4. 

Are they in the dining rooms?  Vines?  elsewhere?

• Like 1

Almost all cruise lines have similar policies of allowing one bottle of wine per person on embarkment. Wanted to share something that happened a few years ago at PortMiami while going through security to board a “Fun Ship.”  A group in front of us were not only trying to bring on board several bottles of liquor (tequila and rum), they also had a blender in their carry on bags. Yes, a full size, kitchen style blender. Everything was confiscated. As we passed the group to board the ship, we heard them pleading their case that drinks are too expensive on board. True story. I’ve often thought that if it wasn’t for the blender, they might have gotten away with it. 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Traveler1977 said:

Almost all cruise lines have similar policies of allowing one bottle of wine per person on embarkment. Wanted to share something that happened a few years ago at PortMiami while going through security to board a “Fun Ship.”  A group in front of us were not only trying to bring on board several bottles of liquor (tequila and rum), they also had a blender in their carry on bags. Yes, a full size, kitchen style blender. Everything was confiscated. As we passed the group to board the ship, we heard them pleading their case that drinks are too expensive on board. True story. I’ve often thought that if it wasn’t for the blender, they might have gotten away with it. 

That's why those of us who are smart and don't want to pay cruiseline booze prices use rum runners!  

BAHAHAHAHA!  Blender! 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Time you arrived at terminal?

It was around 1 pm. We flew in the day of this sailing so couldn’t arrive at our normal 10 am.

Historically the table isn’t set up for those who arrive early even since the restart. But as you know I’ve sailed most months on princess since the restart and I’ve noticed more and more that table is up and manned early.  I don’t know if it was on this sailing but it has been on other sailings this year. Specifically Feb 25th out of SF

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel

9 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I was sent to the crew manned wine table by security in Vancouver 3 days ago when I boarded Sapphire. 

😃 what goodies did you bring on this cruise ?

On 5/2/2023 at 10:21 PM, HaveDogWillTravel said:

We went through security just before 10 am and there was no table set up.

• Like 1