Bringing a bottle onboard

federalexpress

5 minutes ago, lion1956 said:

Now I am confused, I was told one bottle of wine per adult in the cabin, which is fine, but the very first post here says if you bring more than one bottle you are subject to a $15 corkage fee, I am ok with paying $15 if I can get more wine onboard.  What is the answer, only one bottle or you can bring more but pay corkage?

You can bring more and just pay the corkage. It is charged to your stateroom account at the wine table. So you can use OBC to pay it. The corkage has increased to $20 since the restart. But this is not always what they charge. Sometimes I am charged $15 sometimes I am charged $20. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, lion1956 said:

ok but I can bring it to my stateroom?  They don't hold it till the end of the cruise?

Yes you take it to your cabin. They put a sticker on the bottles’ neck showing corkage is paid. You can take it into any dining venue if you want. They will hold any that’s left for another night if you want. It will follow you from one dining venue to any other dining venue. 

• Like 1

All of my cruises have been from either the U.S. or Europe, and I have carried liquor aboard every time, either in a wine bottle or in my suitcase. From Copenhagen, I simply wrapped a bottle of Bacardi in wrapping paper as if it was a bon voyage wine gift, and no one checked it. 

We spend money at the ship's bars but enjoy having private drinks on our balconies before going out. On our upcoming Iceland cruise, we will each have $600 in OBC but I am still taking rum with me.

In Portugal, port was accepted at all of our ports, but…in Hawaii the teenager who was the “security” person insisted that Chardonnay (as it stated on the bottle) was actually just like vodka and wasn’t allowed on board…her “twin” at security couldn’t read English that well and asked twin #1 if Chardonnay was a vodka…thanks to our waiter who was behind us in the line and took charge…otherwise we’d still be there with our vodka Chardonnay—- or in alcohol jail on the ship😂

• Haha 10

1 minute ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

They will hold any that’s left for another night if you want. It will follow you from one dining venue to any other dining venue. 

Although personally, if it is a decent bottle of wine (which I assume it must be, otherwise why bring it onboard?)  I would take it back to my cabin, in case it gets lost. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, lion1956 said:

ok but I can bring it to my stateroom?  They don't hold it till the end of the cruise?

If you pay corkage you can do whatever you want with it including bringing it to the dining room.  You can bring your free bottles to your room and consume them there, but if you bring the to the dining room you could be charged corkage.  Of course if you pour into a glass in your room and take to dinner they have no way of knowing you're drinking wine that you didn't pay corkage for.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Yes you take it to your cabin. They put a sticker on the bottles’ neck showing corkage is paid. You can take it into any dining venue if you want. They will hold any that’s left for another night if you want. It will follow you from one dining venue to any other dining venue. 

If you are paying the corkage fee, can you bring wine aboard from various ports?

3 minutes ago, Teechur said:

If you are paying the corkage fee, can you bring wine aboard from various ports?

Yes. And in those ports where security is in the terminal,  as opposed to the gang way, you will not pay corkage. 

What I do not know,  and would be interested to discover,  is what happens if, for example,  you take a nice bottle  of rioja that you bought in Malaga on board, didn't pay corkage,  and took it into the MDR ? Would any waiter challenge you ? 

19 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Yes. And in those ports where security is in the terminal,  as opposed to the gang way, you will not pay corkage. 

What I do not know,  and would be interested to discover,  is what happens if, for example,  you take a nice bottle  of rioja that you bought in Malaga on board, didn't pay corkage,  and took it into the MDR ? Would any waiter challenge you ? 

Maybe yes, maybe no.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

Maybe yes, maybe no.

Well, thanks for that !

We will just use our Princess Plus package and obc and drink from the onboard selections.  

I brought a bottle of Colombian rum onboard the Ruby Princess in Cartagena. It was a bottle of Dictador 20 year. Princess collected it at the table next to security and handed me a tag. Well that was the last time I saw that expensive bottle. On the last night of the cruise they said they were very sorry but they couldn't locate my bottle. They brought me a bottle of some horrible Aussie rum that had an aroma like the room with the indoor pool in a hotel. I learned my lesson. After stopping in Cozumel on another cruise I bought a bottle of Havana Club 15 year but just walked past the alcohol collection table, I didn't want to let them "lose" another bottle.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:
Alcohol Policy

As provided in the Passage Contract, guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded.*

Alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from The Shops of Princess, or at ports of call, will be collected for safekeeping and delivered to the guest's stateroom on the last day of the cruise. A member of the ship's staff will be at the gangway to assist guests with the storage of their shoreside alcoholic purchases while The Shops of Princess staff will assist guests with shipboard alcoholic purchases.

*Princess is not responsible for any alcoholic beverages removed and discarded by shoreside security staff. Such items are not eligible for monetary refund or replacement. Guests found with prohibited items, including alcohol outside of the policy, may need to collect their luggage at a security checkpoint on board.

I checked to see if you're US or Australia bc the website is different: $20 + nothing about fortified wine. Maybe I'll try bringing port next week to see what happens

20230430_1722422.thumb.jpg.dbe930fc724ec9aad7265854503c1f0e.jpg

Now a dose of reality. I take 1 bottle on per week & took 2 off last week. No one has checked since restarted. I owed last week & forgot to find the desk to pay for the 2nd bottle brought on in Santa Barbara & traded mini bar for another bottle

14 hours ago, federalexpress said:

So they are classing sherry as a liquor? That seems off given it is little more than a table wine in alcohol content.

Sherry is 18% alcohol and is a FORTIFED wine. Table wine has less alcohol. Wine is a product of fermentation of grapes. Fortified wine is based on wine but has additional alcohol added in addition to what is naturally produced by the fermentation process. 

Fortified wine and wine are too different categories of beverages.

Perhaps you are confusing table wine with Ripple?

Edited by brisalta

11 hours ago, lion1956 said:

Now I am confused, I was told one bottle of wine per adult in the cabin, which is fine, but the very first post here says if you bring more than one bottle you are subject to a $15 corkage fee, I am ok with paying $15 if I can get more wine onboard.  What is the answer, only one bottle or you can bring more but pay corkage?

That is, as you indicated, one bottle per adult which can be consumed in your cabin with no corkage fee.

All additional bottles per adult will have a corkage fee (now listed as $20) whether you consume it in your cabin or bring the bottle to a fining room.

4 hours ago, brisalta said:

Sherry is 18% alcohol and is a FORTIFED wine. Table wine has less alcohol. Wine is a product of fermentation of grapes. Fortified wine is based on wine but has additional alcohol added in addition to what is naturally produced by the fermentation process. 

Fortified wine and wine are too different categories of beverages.

Perhaps you are confusing table wine with Ripple?

Yes you could argue wine and fortified wine are two different categories but the question remains, given Princess do not reference the category 'fortified wine' in their rules, are they trying to place it as a liquor/spirit or a wine? You could make a case for either given it sits somewhere in between but if you regard liquor as something typically with an alcohol content of 40%, which would be my understanding of that category, then clearly 18% is a lot further from that than it is for wine which often is around 14%.

No idea what Ripple is but I do know the difference between a Banyuls and a Maury...

16 hours ago, wowzz said:

When you pay corkage a sticker is affixed to the bottle. A bottle brought to the MDR without a sticker would be no issue at all. The staff would simply charge you the corkage there. That said, in my experiences sometimes they do and sometimes they don’t.  

17 hours ago, wowzz said:

Although personally, if it is a decent bottle of wine (which I assume it must be, otherwise why bring it onboard?)  I would take it back to my cabin, in case it gets lost. 

Yes I only drink good wine. I’ve never had a bottle get lost when left with the MDR. If I brought an exceptional bottle however that I would be very sad if it got lost, I wouldn’t leave it. But then if it’s that exceptional there’s probably none left. 

16 hours ago, wowzz said:

We will just use our Princess Plus package and obc and drink from the onboard selections

The wine selection on board with respect to whites sucks. Beyond bad. Unless of course you drink Chardonnay, ughhhhhhhh. 

I spoke to the new sommelier last night and asked if he was planning on reviving the wine list. But then Francesco our DORO walked over with the executive sous chef to chat and we all got distracted.  To be continued. I would love to drink the wine supplied on board if it were only decent. 

JMHO but I think we're overthinking this. 

1. Its supposed to be 1st bottle per adult per voyage for no charge, $20 charge for every bottle over that

2. Previous T&C stated no fortified wine but that was omitted

3. Table is manned less frequently after introduction of Plus / Premier fares so perhaps its gone away. Actually I personally haven't seen one this year. 

Has anyone seen the wine table at boarding or when returning to the ship after the introduction of Standard / Plus / Premier fares? 

50 minutes ago, Ombud said:

JMHO but I think we're overthinking this. 

1. Its supposed to be 1st bottle per adult per voyage for no charge, $20 charge for every bottle over that

2. Previous T&C stated no fortified wine but that was omitted

3. Table is manned less frequently after introduction of Plus / Premier fares so perhaps its gone away. Actually I personally haven't seen one this year. 

Has anyone seen the wine table at boarding or when returning to the ship after the introduction of Standard / Plus / Premier fares? 

In short,  no. But that is only three cruises.

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

No. I think they just about abandoned using crew members to dedicate the time to sit there. Even at the ports we visited there was a guy there but had nothing logged in his check in sheet.

1 hour ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I spoke to the new sommelier last night and asked if he was planning on reviving the wine list. But then Francesco our DORO walked over with the executive sous chef to chat and we all got distracted.  To be continued. I would love to drink the wine supplied on board if it were only decent. 

What new sommelier?

I have not seen a sommelier on Princess for years.

• Like 3