Bringing a bottle onboard

federalexpress

Alcohol Policy

As provided in the Passage Contract, guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded.*

Alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from The Shops of Princess, or at ports of call, will be collected for safekeeping and delivered to the guest's stateroom on the last day of the cruise. A member of the ship's staff will be at the gangway to assist guests with the storage of their shoreside alcoholic purchases while The Shops of Princess staff will assist guests with shipboard alcoholic purchases.

*Princess is not responsible for any alcoholic beverages removed and discarded by shoreside security staff. Such items are not eligible for monetary refund or replacement. Guests found with prohibited items, including alcohol outside of the policy, may need to collect their luggage at a security checkpoint on board.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, federalexpress said:

Can that be a bottle of sherry or port, rather than wine?

Sherry and port are both classed as wine - whether Princess see it that way is another question.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, EDDY0827 said:

Answer: Not allowed.

Both Sherry and Port wines are FORTIFIED wines, meaning they have brandy or a neutral distilled spirit added.

Where in the Alcohol Policy does it mention "fortified" wine?

14 minutes ago, EDDY0827 said:

Answer: Not allowed.

Both Sherry and Port wines are FORTIFIED wines, meaning they have brandy or a neutral distilled spirit added.

So they are classing sherry as a liquor? That seems off given it is little more than a table wine in alcohol content.

I'm guessing that they have a "proof" limit for wines. ABV {alcohol by volume} is generally in the 12 - 14% range for table wines.

Before modern refrigeration, fortified wine was produced in an attempt to prevent wine spoilage by increasing its alcohol content (1).

Wine undergoes a process called fermentation, which occurs when yeast converts the sugar from the grapes into alcohol and carbon dioxide (2Trusted Source).

Distilled spirits like brandy are added at varying times during the fermentation process, which boosts the alcohol content and alters the flavor of the final product.

If the spirits are added before the fermentation process is complete, the fortified wine acquires a sweeter taste. Conversely, the wine tends to be more dry if the spirits are added later.

Both sweet and dry varieties are often served as aperitifs or digestifs before or after meals to help stimulate appetite and digestion.

Some types are also used in cooking to add a delicious twist to your favorite recipes.

Summary

Fortified wine is produced by adding distilled spirits to wine during or after fermentation. It’s available in both dry and sweet varieties, often served before or after meals or used in cooking.

Several types of fortified wine are available, each differing in flavor and production method.

Here are the most common types of fortified wine:

• Port wine. This type originates in Portugal but is now produced worldwide. Brandy is added to the wine before it has finished fermenting, resulting in a sweeter flavor.
  • Sherry. Sherry is available in several varieties based on the type of grapes used. Though it’s traditionally dry, it’s sometimes sweetened and served as a dessert wine.
  • Madeira. Originating in the Portuguese Madeira Islands, this type is heated and oxidized by exposing it to air. Brandy is added at different times during fermentation, causing variations in flavors.
  • Marsala. Marsala is a common cooking wine that’s fortified after fermentation, giving it a distinct dry flavor. It’s also sometimes sweetened, making it a great addition to dessert recipes.
  • Vermouth. Available both dry and sweet, vermouth is a fortified white wine that’s often flavored with herbs and spices like cloves and cinnamon. It’s also used to make cocktails like martinis, Manhattans, and Negronis.

All of this may be moot if the port staff doesn't challenge you and your selections.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

worst case they hold it and give it back at the end of the cruise. I have hand carried beers onboard in Belgium. 750ml with a cork top. no stopping. I also think it depends on the port and who is looking, how convenient or inconvenient it is to bring to port . Home port I'd bring it, Traveling to the port I'd think about it. AND it depend on how special the bottle is and how special the event it is mean for is! I know not much help. but good luck . 

• Like 1

At the port in Barcelona, there was a liquor store adjacent to the gangplank. We went repeatedly after boarding and bought rum and six-packs of beer and brought them aboard. No one tried to stop us.

Edited by Teechur

2 hours ago, EDDY0827 said:

I'm guessing

And that is the whole point - you are guessing, you do not have facts.

The one fact that we know is that sherry/port are classed as wines - albeit fortified wines but there is no mention in the alcohol policy that excludes fortified wine.

If anyone needs a definitive answer then ask Princess.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Teechur said:

At the port in Barcelona, there was a liquor store adjacent to the gangplank. We went repeatedly after boarding and bought rum and six-packs of beer and brought them aboard. No one tried to stop us.

This data point should not be extrapolated to other ports, at least in the U.S.  In Europe, port security is much more lax about bringing alcohol onboard. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

Bottom line is that it is their ship, their cruise line and their rules.  Whether the rules make any sense to you or anyone else is irrelevant.  

DON

True but it would help if the rules were clear in that case. Sherry may not qualify as wine but it is sure not a spirit or liquor.

Over the years I have read numerous reports here on the Cruise Critic Princess board about bottles of port or sherry being confiscated at the pier.  Happily, these bottles are returned at the end of the cruise.  The Princess policy is clear, and their previous practice of confiscating fortified wine indicates that they do not subscribe to the argument that "fortified wine" is the same as "wine," 

When I read reports here on Cruise Critic that a poster was able to, for example, bring a six-pack of beer on board, I have to shake my head.

Personally, I think, "That's pretty cool." 

However, my next thought is, "Why are you broadcasting this violation of Princess' policy for all to see rather than just keeping your mouth shut and enjoying your beer?"

I know that Princess executives are not reading Cruise Critic to seek guidance on how to run their business.  However, I can see a scenario where some low-to-mid level manager reads such a claim and decides that he will show his boss some initiative by putting out a memo that policy is not being followed and Princess is losing revenue, and, so, procedures need to be tightened up at various ports.

Is such a scenario likely?  Maybe not, but it is not impossible.

• Like 7

I have never brought either sherry or port onto a ship.  That said, I have never had the crew member at the wine table (embarkation day) actually look at any of my bottles in the box (typically a random selection in a box from Total Wine).  They would have no idea of the alcohol content of the wine, nor if a port was included.  The last time I engaged with the wine table was Winter 2018.  Most of the time, this table isn't even staffed at the time we are checking in.    On bringing some wine back to ship at a port, again, no one in security has paid any attention to what type of wine is in the bottle (not that I was trying to put something over on ship's security).

More than likely no one will say anything. Even when security has been like go to the wine table I just flash the two wine bottles and they wave me on. No detailed inspection of labels

Edited by fpsphil
  • Like 1

Last cruise, I walked onto the ship in Georgetown Grand Cayman with 2 cans of beer in a bag.  I was prepared to hand them over, but the “liquor check table” was past the stairway I took to climb up two decks to my cabin.

But I didn’t drink them onboard.  So, only a technical violation. Excellent beer, BTW.

IMG_3032.jpeg

Now I am confused, I was told one bottle of wine per adult in the cabin, which is fine, but the very first post here says if you bring more than one bottle you are subject to a $15 corkage fee, I am ok with paying $15 if I can get more wine onboard.  What is the answer, only one bottle or you can bring more but pay corkage?

34 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I have never brought either sherry or port onto a ship.  That said, I have never had the crew member at the wine table (embarkation day) actually look at any of my bottles in the box (typically a random selection in a box from Total Wine).  They would have no idea of the alcohol content of the wine, nor if a port was included.  The last time I engaged with the wine table was Winter 2018.  Most of the time, this table isn't even staffed at the time we are checking in.    On bringing some wine back to ship at a port, again, no one in security has paid any attention to what type of wine is in the bottle (not that I was trying to put something over on ship's security).

I have sailed 30 times with princess between 2015 and today,18 of those have been since the restart, so lots and lots of recent experiences.  I just boarded Sapphire 2 days ago in Vancouver with 8 bottles and the wine table was set up.  Security scanned my bag and told me to go check my wine in with the crew. The crew did not read the labels on my bottles.

I sail out of SF, San Diego, San Pedro, Seattle, Vancouver and Miami/ft Lauderdale ports on princess. My experience has been just as @Steelers36describes. I bring on anywhere from 4 to 12 bottles at embarkation and have never, not once, had the wine table crew actually look at the bottle and read what it is. As long as it looks like a wine bottle as opposed to hard alcohol bottle I would be pretty shocked if they read the label.