Unfair Sanctuary Practice

SW.FloridaPhil

When sailing on a ship with a Sanctuary area, you can book for single days or the whole cruise. Every time we sail, we rush to the Sanctuary to be able enjoy this area, only to be told that all spots are sold out. We were one of the first to board, and went straight to the Sanctuary even before going to muster station. Seems that the guests doing a b2b booked for both weeks and we were put on a cancellation list. 

How is this fair?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Believe that b2b guests booked the next leg on the last day of the first leg. These passengers most likely had the same issue as you when initially boarding. Many ideas have been floated around. How would you handle a demand for maybe 50 spots by 100's of passengers? From observation the demand is highest in the Caribbean. Most other itineraries do not have such high demand.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

That's pretty disappointing.  I'm hoping you have success checking each morning/evening to see if there are cancellations.  There often are since if no-shows don't cancel in advance they get charged.

The best advice I can give is to try to not let this situation anger you to the point that it impacts your enjoyment of your vacation.  No, it's not right, but it is what it is.

• Like 1

We would be faced with the exact same situation if they were to open up reservations online...they would book up possibly months in advance, with those booking very late having absolutely NO chance to participate.  There's no really good solution...

• Like 3

Admittedly, it's not fair.  Certainly in 2023 they could figure out a way to reserve the area so you would know ahead of time if you pay for the area or not.  

Personally, we enjoy the Sanctuary area but I am not sure if I will book another Princess cruise if the area we enjoy the most and are willing to pay extra for is unavailable even before the first people board.  

I would suggest Princess is handling the demand on the ship they are building now with Cabana rooms, Cabana deck, etc.  We will see what this costs though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, SW.FloridaPhil said:

When sailing on a ship with a Sanctuary area, you can book for single days or the whole cruise. Every time we sail, we rush to the Sanctuary to be able enjoy this area, only to be told that all spots are sold out. We were one of the first to board, and went straight to the Sanctuary even before going to muster station. Seems that the guests doing a b2b booked for both weeks and we were put on a cancellation list. 

How is this fair?

Likely the first leg of the b2b those who have it the second sailing we’re not able to book it the first sailing so it was their turn? 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, SW.FloridaPhil said:

How is this fair?

What do you suggest?  Even if the B2B'ers had to wait until embarkation morning, they are all on the ship before any new guests board.  I suppose a Caribbean sector voyage could be fully subscribed by B2B'ers, but I have not seen this happen before in my experience.  Nor even read that much full.  I have only one time not been able to get suitable booking in the Sanctuary for a Caribbean region voyage and it was because we had to be late getting to the terminal and short story is the line was just too long, plus the B2B's. We were B2B'ing and got chairs for the following voyage.

ETA:  I do agree that you absolutely need to be among the very first to make the climb to Sanctuary check-in for a Caribbean sector voyage if you have particular and popular days you want to book.  Sea days in the Caribbean are like concert tickets to Springsteen - sold out in mere minutes.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 4

Some of those who boarded after you likely wanted to book the Sanctuary and couldn't. Is it unfair that you got to board before them? Maybe, maybe not, but as every parent has said to every child, life isn't fair. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

B2B cruisers having first choice before anyone else can board seems unfair…a bit like the library being ransacked.

Maybe..just maybe..those booking early should have first choice..encouraging people to book as soon as cruise opens up.

However..then you’d have the unfairness of those in USA being offered booking dates before those in UK, Australia etc..and of course Elites can book a day earlier than others.

I am not really sure what the fairest way would be.

As some wise person once said-

‘You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time!’

Edited by Reina del Mar
  • Like 2

Guest ldtr

Easy answer. Book a B2B as well with a plan to get Sanctuary on the second leg.

Even that might not work, on our current cruise almost 1/3 of the ship, approximately a 1000 passemgers, carried over B2B from the last cruise.

The reality is that any system they put in place will be unfair to someone, in some fashion. Unless that collected all of the people that want a spot and then have a lottery for the spots. But then again while fair, has a number of problems with it as well.

They could raise the price until demand equaled supply, but I expect most would not like that either.

Edited by ldtr

13 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

I hate to say this but Princess needs to increase the price of Sanctuary until supply equals demand.  

Go ahead and give them ideas to increase onboard spending. I'm almost certain that has been already suggested by the bean counters. Or they could do a pre cruise bidding process. Highest bids get the spots. Maybe a day early bidding window for elites? 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Guest ldtr
1 hour ago, Musky Ike said:

Go ahead and give them ideas to increase onboard spending. I'm almost certain that has been already suggested by the bean counters. Or they could do a pre cruise bidding process. Highest bids get the spots. Maybe a day early bidding window for elites? 😉

More likely to give the priority to suites with the direction of the Sun where the suites will have their own Sanctuary like area. Retro fit the existing ships and give the space to the suites.

6 minutes ago, david63 said:

Surely the simple answer is to open reservations at a time when all passengers are onboard

Then you just get a gigantic line all around the ship, with people fighting to get on as soon as possible so they can reserve their place in line.

(Remember when Southwest didn't have ABC, but you just arrived at the airport and got in line and stayed there.)

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, david63 said:

Surely the simple answer is to open reservations at a time when all passengers are onboard

That still would not alleviate the potential "rush" to form a line...well before that opening time.

3 hours ago, SW.FloridaPhil said:

How is this fair?

It annoys me as well. Its been this way as long as I have been sailing Princess. Even boarding early as Platinum, I have yet to be successful.  Maybe someday.....

• Like 1

I guess it is a good thing that my expectations are tempered by this thread 😬. We are sailing on the already sold out Solar Eclipse cruise April 2024 on the Discovery Princess and did not book the 3 or 4 day cruise prior to this one.

We typically sail Holland America where you can book a cabana immediately after booking your cruise, but the cabana area is not as lovely as the Sanctuary.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SW.FloridaPhil said:

How is this fair?

You appear to live in Florida. How about booking B2B cruises, and then you'll get in. 

On HAL, I hang out in the Crow's Nest a lot.  I also sit on the veranda.  I never book the Sanctuary on Princess.  My balcony is good enough for me, but DH is still miffed about Princess charging to sit at the front of the ship (with the great views.)

I have not done a back-to-back in years, and I do not get to the port early, so I never get a chance to do Sanctuary.  I hope all of you who rush to book it as soon as you board the ship are successful, and that you enjoy while I have to sit outside on my balcony or on the Lido or Promenade Deck.

It is frustrating but even more so is that many people reserve a spot and then don’t show up or have the decency to cancel the reservation. Princess doesn’t charge them if they don’t show up and we have seen many empty loungers while in the Sanctuary. It is too bad that it is done that way. Cruisers are disappointed and Princess is losing money by also not charging no shows. 

• Like 4