Here's why someone on NCL told me to not cruise on Celebrity

Sigyn

In December, we did a holiday cruise on the Norwegian Prima. I told this one couple, in their 30's and who loved to drink and lay by the pool all day, that we were going on our first Celebrity cruise to Alaska this summer. 

They were quite derogatory about our cruise, saying we should cancel and cruise on NCL instead. The reasons they said we should cancel:

—You'll be cruising with a "bunch of boring old people in their 50's and 60's" (we're 51 and 55)

—All you'll do is listen to lectures and have to learn about history and educational things (sign me up now!) 
—It's boring and no one does anything at night (sensing a theme here)

Of course, I ignored them and kept my cruise and I'm looking quite forward to it. Just thought I'd share because I found it rather funny. And insulting. Coming from an "old person" in her 50's. 

Edited by njsmom
  • Like 11
  • Haha 34

4 minutes ago, njsmom said:

In December, we did a holiday cruise on the Norwegian Prima. I told this one couple, in their 30's and who loved to drink and lay by the pool all day, that we were going on our first Celebrity cruise to Alaska this summer. 

They were quite derogatory about our cruise, saying we should cancel and cruise on NCL instead. The reasons they said we should cancel:

—You'll be cruising with a "bunch of boring old people in their 50's and 60's" (we're 51 and 55)

—All you'll do is listen to lectures and have to learn about history and educational things (sign me up now!) 

Of course, I ignored them and kept my cruise and I'm looking quite forward to it. Just thought I'd share because I found it rather funny. And insulting. Coming from an "old person" in her 50's. 

Clearly they have never cruised Celebrity.

• Like 16
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, the penguins said:

Clearly they have never cruised Celebrity.

And clearly they don't know how to read a room. Even if they were being generous and thought my husband and I were, I dunno, late 40's, you don't call people in their 50's old when we're knocking on that door!

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, njsmom said:

I would take it as a compliment, they clearly didn't think you were in your 50s!

Perhaps they have cruised on Celebrity, from a 30 year old's perspective on many cruises I could see where they were coming from. Clearly they would be better suited to a different cruise line.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, njsmom said:

Sad how many people spread misinformation based on their ignorance. Glad you didn't listen to them, they are way off. 

I suspect your cruise on Celebrity will be superb. The Prima is a nice, new ship and does cater to families more than Celebrity ships, but if you're an adult, you won't likely miss that aspect.

Would love to hear about your experience and comparison between the two lines when you return..

• Like 8

I’m always glad there are so many different choices so people can find the right cruise line to meet their needs/wants.

We have friends who only cruise with Carnival and don’t understand our preference for Celebrity. I always respond that I don’t understand their preference for Carnival, and we have a good laugh together.

Edited by Mauidiver
  • Like 11
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, njsmom said:

They probably heard about the thick TVs🤪

• Haha 13

I'm in my 50s. I don't generally do much at night (shows aren't my thing) and definitely don't go to Beyond the Podium talks (I work at a college and the last thing I want to do on days off is go to a lecture). Yet I manage to have a good time on Celebrity.

I also sailed HAL when I was in my 30s and had a great time. If 50 is old, they should check out HAL!

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

I'm about to make an appearance on "That 70's Show"...and I don't care what those young'uns say...I cruise for the itinerary and the ship. Not the amusement park and whatnot...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cruisinfly said:

I suspect your cruise on Celebrity will be superb.

I sure hope WE do. I just booked our first Celebrity cruise for next year. Strong contenders for our spring break were MSC Seascape, NCL Joy, Celebrity Reflection and Carnival Horizon. X won.

We usually do Princess or RCI (love both, but for different reasons), and we tried NCL 1.3 times. Yes, that's 1.3. We hated NCL's food and the smell of smoke literally everywhere, but loved the entertainment and the family/kid activities.

This and next year will be full of firsts for us. We are trying MSC, Celebrity and Carnival for the first time ever.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

I really do dislike the mandatory history lectures and test afterward😉

But Celeb also offers non-cruise testing -- like those PUP quizzes. AND the answers get posted so even old people pass!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I am responding to your post from NCL Gateway. This is our first NCL haven experience. We are enjoying Haven, but have to tell you - most adults are doing nothing but drinking all day long. There is not much of interesting going on on the ship. After this” free style” cruising, I will take boring Celebrity any time. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I've been cruising and booking different lines these past six months to experience different things and see what fits for us. We'd only done Carnival in the past, due to old friends who preferred it. My husband and I did not like it, but we adored our friends, so we went with them. Now we've done Norwegian, which was fine, but nothing spectacular. Although I found the food in the specialty restaurants to be outstanding. Someone said it was because the Prima was new and the best chefs were there. Whatever the reason, it was amazing. And then I sailed on Royal Caribbean's Harmony of the Seas with my teenager last month for a spring break cruise and that was fine, but I found the food lacking. He LOVED the cruise, tho. So it was a win since it was for him. And now my husband and I will experience Celebrity on the Millennium in seven weeks. 

• Like 8

I think it is so unfortunate (especially for newbies to a cruise line) when people just can't help themselves from comparing the different cruise lines and ships, and unfortunately, sometimes (oftentimes) without the a proper context or even actual knowledge!

We're getting on the Norwegian Getaway in four days (yay!), our last cruise in March was on Celebrity (it was great!), and our next cruise in August is on Princess (can't wait!).  

My point is that each and every cruise line has it's own individual good and (maybe) not-as-good features, amenities, food quality, and service.  But these things are so subjective!  We find things on each of these quite different cruise lines and ships that we really like, and then the things that we prefer on another cruise line or particular ship ... well then, we'll look forward to experiencing them again another time.

I don't know why people, like the one's that @njsmom spoke to, say such uninformed things ... is it just to try to sound like they're so knowledgeable?  But it would be so much better for everyone if people like that could just keep those kind of comments to themselves.

Just my 2¢ 😊

Edited by Robkat
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, padgman1 said:

They do offer the answer sheet beforehand at the door....for a fee.😊

Nahhh, just make sure you bring your smartphone into the exam... no answer sheet needed, then... LOL...

bon voyage

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, njsmom said:

lol I booked my first Celebrity cruise in my 30's (now in my early 40's)

I've not done a lecture yet

Ok I like my sleep so you won't find me partying until 2am 

But I've had good times on board. I think it is what you make of it but I do find it unfortunate some people are really judgemental or like to shove their opinions in people's faces.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ISABELLA said:

I am responding to your post from NCL Gateway. This is our first NCL haven experience. We are enjoying Haven, but have to tell you - most adults are doing nothing but drinking all day long. There is not much of interesting going on on the ship. After this” free style” cruising, I will take boring Celebrity any time. 

To be fair, this isn't uncommon on a X cruise

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, jelayne said:

I really do dislike the mandatory history lectures and test afterward😉

I’ve never been to a Beyond the Podium lecture which finishes with a test.

I find them interesting and educational.

• Like 2

Good, they can stay on NCL.  depends on the itinerary.  We were on a 12 day tahiti cruise on NCL in November and I would bet the average age was closer to 60 than 45.   I am greatly looking forward to our Alaska cruise on Millie in August.  To each his and and her own.

• Like 1

In all honesty, we took 2 Celebrity cruises in our late 20s and early 30s.  Although the food was the best we've experienced on any ship we've sailed, the overall atmosphere at the time was not for us.  At the time, the only option for dinner was the main dining room at either 5 or 8:30 PM.  Entertainment was geared towards an older generation and we at times found ourselved bored at night.  Fast forward 10-15 years and we gave Celebrity another try on a Soltice Class ship and we have been Celebrity loyalists ever since.  That cruise on Silhouette blew us away.  The modern ship, wide array of dining options, lots of entertainment options and the Martini Bar.....my happy place.   Although I said we're Celebrity loyalists, that doesn't mean we'll only go on Celebrity, but when looking for a cruise, we check there first.  With all this said, we'd never told others it was full of old people.  We always said that although we had a good time, we preferred Royal Caribbean as it had more entertainment options and was a bit more laid back.  Our tastes certainly do change as we age.  

• Like 6