platinum and elite lounge entry

hunt182644

We were invited into the lounge by elite cruisers on our last cruise and had no problems - we just said XXX invited us and went to join them. We were asked for our cabin number when we ordered a drink. I was a bit underwhelmed TBH and preferred the tapas at Vines.

• Like 1

We are Elite but when we travel with folks who are not, we stick with them and forgo the Platinum/Elite lounge.  

I have, however, encountered a situation where a supervisor at one of the bars noticed our Elite medallion and asked why he had not seen us in the lounge in the evening. When we replied that we were traveling with some friends who were not eligible, he said to go ahead and bring them in one evening so that they could see what it was all about. We gave him a wave as we entered and he came over and greeted our friends, but since they did not have a drink package they paid regular prices.

• Like 3

We were in Skywalkers for a private event and when it was over and it was being set up for the Platinum/Elite Lounge, friends asked us to stay so we did.  No one asked for proof.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Reina del Mar said:

If everyone took guests, lounge could be very busy.

That being said, we turned Platinum many years ago, now Elite and haven’t bothered to go to the lounge at all.

Horses for courses.

I haven't seen the lounge get that crowded yet.

With loads of people buying the drink package lately, they aren't drawn to get a discount on the drinks any longer. 

Sometimes the lounge is really busy and in that case, they may not be allowed.  However, it hasn't been that crowded since the restart but we've only had our visits on a few of the ships here on the west coast. I'm sure there is no harm in asking.  After all, they will be able to identify their status level through their medallions.  

We've always had someone check out our medallions, which are color coded. Before medallions I was asked for my cabin card the first night, but never again.

Personally I don't like the idea of taking people not eligible, unless you ask someone in a position to give approval..

4 hours ago, Catchum said:

We were invited into the lounge by elite cruisers on our last cruise and had no problems - we just said XXX invited us and went to join them. We were asked for our cabin number when we ordered a drink. I was a bit underwhelmed TBH and preferred the tapas at Vines.

Wondering if you have seen tapas at Vines post-covid and if so, what ship? The ships I have been on are no longer serving tapas and barely serving any decent wine. 🤪

On the other hand, the P/E Lounge seems to have taken a step up and had more tasty food offerings post-covid though it would be nice if they still provided a menu of what is being offered each night. I guess we can't have everything. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

I can see both sides of the discussion here.  If the lounge is busy it should be a pretty hard no to having non platinum and elites to join.  But if the lounge is not busy it could be a plus to Princess to allow platinum and elites to take friends here and there so folks get a taste of what you get for the status.  Help build some brand loyalty and future revenue.

But under no circumstances should anyone assume people without the right loyalty level will be allowed in.  Consider is a plus if it is allowed.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

Wondering if you have seen tapas at Vines post-covid and if so, what ship? The ships I have been on are no longer serving tapas and barely serving any decent wine. 🤪

On the other hand, the P/E Lounge seems to have taken a step up and had more tasty food offerings post-covid though it would be nice if they still provided a menu of what is being offered each night. I guess we can't have everything. 🤷‍♀️

We've had "tapas" on Regal since the restart. Every cruise we've sailed in her since Dec 2021.. something like 8 or so, lost track really.

It's not the same as prior with a choice of 3 or so different items, it's basically been a small cheese platter with 3 small bits of cheese, couple grapes and a few nuts, or the small 4 section plate with a mini meatball, crostini with topping, hummus and cheese or some similar combo.  Lovely addition, but not the tapas of old, for sure..

We've also had the small carafe of nuts in several different lounges.  Haven't had the olives back in Crooners yet, but am hopeful! 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I cannot give you a definitive answer but in our experience I have never seen anybody "checking" medallions. 

It has been a long time since I saw them checking ids at  the door.

• Like 1

Times have changed.  Many cruisers now have beverage packages and the Elite lounge only offers small discounts on a handful of drinks.  We have been Elite for decades and cannot recall the last time we went to the Elite Lounge.   There was a time when we would stop in the lounge on nights when they had shrimp cocktail, but even that became a big bore.

Hank

• Like 1

Went up there one afternoon, (actually more like stumbled upon it.)  So I thought I'd go in to see what they had.  Skywalker's was all but deserted and there weren't a lot of takers for their offerings (nothing appealed to me.)  No one was checking anything at the door, I'm sure they would have welcomed anyone.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Times have changed.  Many cruisers now have beverage packages and the Elite lounge only offers small discounts on a handful of drinks.  We have been Elite for decades and cannot recall the last time we went to the Elite Lounge.   There was a time when we would stop in the lounge on nights when they had shrimp cocktail, but even that became a big bore.

Hank

Especially when you can get as much shrimp as you like in the DR or buffet on any night. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I cannot give you a definitive answer but in our experience I have never seen anybody "checking" medallions. 

Same here. Depending who the captain circle host is will usually stand in there during this time but agreed I've never seen anyone check of the medallion were back in the day the old cruise card to see if you belong in there.

10 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

This. Offering me a $12 cocktail for $8 is useless when all of my drinks under $15.01 are already paid for. They could run a “special” where the $12 drink is offered at the price of $15 and they’d be in the same place. And the food offered is typical of that served in the buffet. Just presented better. The only remaining function of the gathering is to allow people who feel special to mingle with other people who feel special. Not my jam. 

• Haha 1