$10 upcharge for additional Lobster on Formal night

wallyj

Hello, just off the Crown and on our last formal night, complimentary surf and turf entree was offered in MDR, but with footnote, each additional ‘lobster’ would incur a $10 charge. My friend who does not eat beef asked if he could get 2 tails instead and was told he would be charge $10 for the second tail, even if he did not want the beef tenderloin, which in the past was a petite filet, so another downsize. 

I assume this is only for extra lobster main and not for any additional main course offered on the menu.

Sorry if posted previously but did a quick check and did not find this subject posted.

Your friend should have ordered another entree in addition to the surf and turf, eaten the lobster tail and the second entree.

These are the new rules, folks. Want a second lobster tail, it’s gonna cost ya.

Fortunately, I don’t like lobster.

• Like 4

Early I. The post pandemic return, the lobster tails weren’t very good and this, they were trying to always bring you more of them.  Now, they have seemed to greatly improved their supplier and I don’t begrudge them one bit for charging extra for this delicacy.  

• Like 6

For me a piece of beef and a lobster tail after having an appetizer is plenty   I can’t really imagine wanting more. Of course I also like to have a number of cocktails so I pay extra for that privilege with the Plus package. Sounds about the same.  If you want 2 pasta’s or mains in Sabatini’s you pay extra also

• Like 7

1 hour ago, BamaVol said:

Your friend should have ordered another entree in addition to the surf and turf, eaten the lobster tail and the second entree.

Thanks for the tip. There will always be workarounds.

35 minutes ago, memoak said:

.If you want 2 pasta’s or mains in Sabatini’s you pay extra also

The difference being that Sabatini's is an upcharge restaurant in the first place.  I quit eating lobster on cruise ships long ago because it has been many a year since I was served a good one.  It wasn't unusual for our waiter on some sailings to ask us if we wanted another lobster, even if we didn't ask for it.  I had probably given away the first one to someone at my table, so I never asked for a second.  When the quality of beef began to decline, I stopped ordering surf and turf altogether.  This new nickel-and-dime is part of the larger picture of post-covid cruising.  It's annoying, yes, but Princess is not alone in the practice.

If you've ever had fresh lobster right off the boat in New England, previously frozen lobster in the MDR is certainly not worth an upcharge, and barely worth bothering with as an entree.  

Same as with the so called crab cakes that they used to try to pawn off as "Maryland" crab cakes.

But, it's Economics 101, charge what the traffic will bear.  

• Like 1

Here is my advice for those cruising out of Port Everglades.  Assuming you spend a pre-cruise night in Ft Lauderdale, stay somewhere near 17th street and go to Kelly's Landing for dinner (no reservations so be prepared for a wait).  That restaurant is like a New England place in Florida and they have wonderful live lobster (we are talking whole Maine lobster with the wonderful claws) or lobster tails (much larger than what you get on a cruise.  And these folks know how to properly cook lobster.  

I get the lobster issue on cruise ships.  Go to a decent Supermarket (i.e. Wegmans, Costco, etc) and price out a decent cold water lobster tail.  The prices are outrageous.  And if you think lobster tails are ridiculous, a few weeks ago we were in Alaska where a single (that means ONE) King Crab Leg was $119.95 which did not include the sides, tax or tip.  

Hank

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

Early I. The post pandemic return, the lobster tails weren’t very good and this, they were trying to always bring you more of them.  Now, they have seemed to greatly improved their supplier and I don’t begrudge them one bit for charging extra for this delicacy.  

They've definitely gotten better. Was on the Majestic and they were inedible along with the risotto they came with. Agree, they couldn't give those things away.  Now, they are much better. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

They've definitely gotten better. Was on the Majestic and they were inedible along with the risotto they came with. Agree, they couldn't give those things away.  Now, they are much better. 

We aren’t big foodies and oftentimes don’t bother going to the MDR .. but I must say, the lobster is so improved over the last year, we make an exception and go on lobster night.  And one is definitely enough for me.  

1 minute ago, Cruise Raider said:

We aren’t big foodies and oftentimes don’t bother going to the MDR .. but I must say, the lobster is so improved over the last year, we make an exception and go on lobster night.  And one is definitely enough for me.  

Yes, one is enough.  And OP's friend is probably eating a couple appetizers in addition to the main and dessert.  You can also order a plate of steamed veggies.

• Like 2

Guest ldtr
2 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Fortunately Princess seems to have dropped the horrible green risotto with the lobster tails and gone with a more traditional sides on recent cruises.

1 hour ago, ldtr said:

Fortunately Princess seems to have dropped the horrible green risotto with the lobster tails and gone with a more traditional sides on recent cruises.

Recently on the Sapphire, Princess offfered "Land and Sea" (Turf & Surf lol) on the 2nd formal evening. 8 oz filet mignon + 6 oz lobster tail. No Risotto. It was no cold water lobster tho. The imho much more important Beef Wellington came on the 2nd last night (not formal).

I like they split that, always had to order 2 mains (lobster + Wellington) on the 2nds formal in the past.. as many did. 😄

Edited by EDVM96

6 hours ago, BamaVol said:

These are the new rules, folks. Want a second lobster tail, it’s gonna cost ya.

Fortunately, I don’t like lobster.

Same. Overrated in my opinion. 

1 minute ago, icat2000 said:

Same. Overrated in my opinion. 

I met a girl in college whose dad was a a Maine lobsterman.  She said there is nothing more depressing than coming down for breakfast in the morning and realizing there has been nothing in the refrigerator but lobster for weeks on end.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

IMO, if they are offering a filet mignon + lobster tail, a guest ought to be able to have two lobster tails and no steak as an alternative.  The extra charge should be for a second tail with the surf and turf or for three tails.  Seems like they are cheaping out here, but I don't get overly excited about the MDR tails in any case.  The giant prawns were always better IMO.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

I don't get overly excited about the MDR tails in any case.  The giant prawns were always better IMO.  

I completely agree in the MDR. The prawns have much much more flavor.

8 hours ago, Coral said:

Someone did post on the last Crown Princess. I skipped last formal night so didn’t check. Thanks for confirmation.

Actually we were told that it would be a $19 upcharge for a second order of Surf & Turf, our waitress told us that just as we sat down (she was always more than helpful, so I don't fault her.)  I should have ordered the NY strip in addition just out of spite, but I had a second order of escargot just like I normally did.  The lobster tail is so puny, it's probably less than a couple of prawns.

7 hours ago, ravenjls said:

Thats unfortunate. Was on Regal in March and ordered surf and surf (no turf) and had no problem getting 2 tail instead of filet.  

If ordering instead turf & turf (no surf), is there an upcharge for the 2nd turf now?

This is not an answer to the OP's question but it is sort of relevant.  We recently did a Viking Ocean cruise.  On surf and turf night they grilled lobsters and steak done on the back deck.  There was no limit.  The lobsters were not large so I only had 5 or 6 of them in addition to 2nds of the beef.  There are advantages of going on a good cruise line.  

I also did an AK cruise on the American Queen Voyages Ocean Victory.  Lobster was on the always available part of the menu so I has 1 or 2 lobster tails every night.

Jealous????

DON

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I get the lobster issue on cruise ships.  Go to a decent Supermarket (i.e. Wegmans, Costco, etc) and price out a decent cold water lobster tail.  The prices are outrageous.  And if you think lobster tails are ridiculous, a few weeks ago we were in Alaska where a single (that means ONE) King Crab Leg was $119.95 which did not include the sides, tax or tip.  

My understanding is that crab fishing has been nearly shutdown, leading to the crazy prices.

At Publix.   Hurry, ends today!

I like lobster, but personally, I don't find cruise ship lobster worth bothering with.

image.thumb.png.b86254068f38f4a1045d3f38992162b0.png

Edited by Roberto256