Live Report: Suddenly, I’m Going to Norway!

*Miss G*

Today, I find myself in England.  This comes as a big surprise since I don’t live here.  Now that I’m here, though, let’s go to Norway!

My sister and I are joining the 11-Day Legends of the Fjords on the beautiful Nieuw Statendam.  Why are they legends?  We’re taking one for the team to find out.

4535AF69-919D-482C-A4A6-113577FD33B0.thumb.jpeg.7b0a6f2458cae5634908bb85573448b9.jpeg

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Like 30

• *Miss G* changed the title to Suddenly, I’m Going to Norway!

Purchasing overseas flights a week before you need to be somewhere is no joke.  Premium Economy and Business Class seats are sky high, so Economy it is.  

Despite KLM cancelling my flight within a few days of departure last September, I book with them anyway.  I had googled their current performance and found a press release saying there will be no cancellations in May.  Let’s test that statement out.

The plane coming from Amsterdam to DC was delayed, which means our flight was too.  That’s okay, as long as I can make my connecting flight to Manchester.  Or at least get me within an arm’s reach and I’ll work it out from there.

KLM tricked me.  I booked a window seat in a 2-4-2 economy configuration.  What I got was a window seat in a 3-3-3 configuration.  I didn’t make a mental note of the aircraft type and now I’m kicking myself because it was a really nice plane.  I think it was one of the new Dreamliners. 

Anyway…

The seat back didn’t just recline; the seat itself moved forward too, taking a lot of stress off the lower back.  Economy seating had more room between your knees and the chair in front, and I loved the new dimmable windows!  Filtering the light instead of blocking it allowed for a whole new visual spectrum.  The sunset and sunrise were gorgeous, with colours and clarity I never even knew existed!  Flying through the clouds was amazing.  I watched the flight path of the plane in front of us as we were landing, and when we got close I could clearly see a furrow through the clouds with swirling tunnels all around!  Pretty cool stuff.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2

I hope you have a wonderful cruise! I wish we were staying on for the next leg as I would love to see it all again.  The ship itself has been a great experience with a very competent  staff.

• Like 2

One of my favorites ships! It has Dutch Cafe and gelato station. Bring a few pair of pants a size bigger than you normally wear for later. (That gelato is just too hard to resist.) Have fun!

• Haha 2

You're visiting my city, I live in Aarhus! I'd be curious to hear your thoughts because I love living here but I don't think of it as somewhere I'd want to visit on holiday. I'm amazed by the number of cruise ships we get. I'm sailing on NS later this summer, so I'm planning to go down to the harbour and have a look.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

Too bad you won't see any fjords.

There is a stop in Flam according the schedule in top, so yes they sail into and from a fjord. 

• Thanks 1

How wonderful *Miss G*.

I hope you have a fabulous time and enjoy the wonderful sights and scenery 👍 🤞 

Looking forward to your reports and travelling vicariously through you.

Bon Voyage!

IMG_3409.jpeg.c073162139616f70b30d1e2e900c3fda.jpeg

• Like 2