Botany Bay Cruise Terminal canned.

Well after all this time, Premier Minns said Proposed cruise terminal at Yarra Bay on Botany Bay is canned.  State Govt going to negotiate further with Federal Govt re Garden Island Facilities. Good luck 🤣

Rod will be happy, lol.🤣

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Well after all this time, Premier Minns said Proposed cruise terminal at Yarra Bay on Botany Bay is canned.  State Govt going to negotiate further with Federal Govt re Garden Island Facilities. Good luck 🤣

Rod will be happy, lol.🤣

No good uncle Les ,are you going to summon the evil genie @in rod we trust

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/garden-island-best-site-for-cruise-terminal-after-yarra-bay-scuttled-20230526-p5dbi3.html

Edited by Chiliburn

5 hours ago, NSWP said:

Well after all this time, Premier Minns said Proposed cruise terminal at Yarra Bay on Botany Bay is canned.  State Govt going to negotiate further with Federal Govt re Garden Island Facilities.

Given all the whinging over the location of the new Brisbane Terminal, I was expecting the same for any Botany Bay cruise terminal. So at least we miss out on that.

9 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

They need to start something  if they can get part of the Garden Island port, that would be good.

The ferries could be relocated, lol.

22 hours ago, NSWP said:

The ferries could be relocated, lol.

I went past Garden island yesterday and it was chock a block with navy ships, I don’t think the navy will be going anywhere.

There was a proposal to put a cruise terminal on the eastern side of garden island but how would passengers get there ? A ferry from circular quay and bus ? Extend the light rail from circular quay?

37 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I went past Garden island yesterday and it was chock a block with navy ships, I don’t think the navy will be going anywhere.

There was a proposal to put a cruise terminal on the eastern side of garden island but how would passengers get there ? A ferry from circular quay and bus ? Extend the light rail from circular quay?

There is a ferry wharf at the end of Garden Island so that would be an option. I'm not sure which ferry stops there - possibly the Watson's Bay one. Otherwise it would be like White Bay - taxis, Uber or private transport.

It would be way to complicated to extend the light rail to there.

OPT was able to handle two ships per day in March 2020.

It would be hard with logistics, especially handling double the quantity of provisions, but if an airport can operate 18hrs per day, why not a cruise terminal. Just sayin' - in times of economy, you make the most out of what you have.

• Like 2

It's a great location, too. Surely it would be possible to make it dual use, with the two sections completely secured from each other?  The cruise ship terminal could be on the eastern side, and there is already a harbour ferry dock.

I think the container terminal will be the likely place, Hayes dock or something.

Listening to the ABC radio,there seems to be a popular feeling to get all cruise ships out of the harbour ,including Circular quay  

12 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I think the container terminal will be the likely place, Hayes dock or something.

Listening to the ABC radio,there seems to be a popular feeling to get all cruise ships out of the harbour ,including Circular quay  

Of course, ABC listeners would want that. 

Apart from Garden Island, there are no other options in the Harbour.  Given the size of modern ships, the new terminal has to be east of the Harbour Bridge.

Garden Island would be expensive both to develop and to relocate the Navy but I'd assume it would be developed in such a way that it also included hotels and apartments on top of the terminal which, given Sydney real estate prices, would significantly offset the cost. 

53 minutes ago, reeves35 said:

Of course, ABC listeners would want that. 

Apart from Garden Island, there are no other options in the Harbour.  Given the size of modern ships, the new terminal has to be east of the Harbour Bridge.

Garden Island would be expensive both to develop and to relocate the Navy but I'd assume it would be developed in such a way that it also included hotels and apartments on top of the terminal which, given Sydney real estate prices, would significantly offset the cost. 

I think the main reason the navy wants to stay is for the good supply of trades and maintenance companies. A regional town has a limited pool of maintenance.

Unless the labour government wants to put something on the eastern side of Garden Island, it’s Port Botany.

2 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

I think the main reason the navy wants to stay is for the good supply of trades and maintenance companies.

A service personnel mate of mine, now retired, told me years ago that the defence dept will never give up their prime spot there. He called them the chair polishers, all after a spot of the prime location to serve out the rest of their career.

On 5/26/2023 at 6:29 PM, NSWP said:

Any work on any terminal in any location would be at least 2 elections away, so any announcement now by the current incumbents is not of much consequence.

On 5/28/2023 at 10:22 AM, arxcards said:

OPT was able to handle two ships per day in March 2020.

An excellent idea. There could be a morning shift from say 6am to 2pm and an evening shift from 3pm to 11pm.

They would need to move people off and on more quickly, but it would seem on the face of it to be doable.

It would double capacity without the need for building anything.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

An excellent idea. There could be a morning shift from say 6am to 2pm and an evening shift from 3pm to 11pm.

They would need to move people off and on more quickly, but it would seem on the face of it to be doable.

I thought when they extended the OPT a few years ago, the terminal was supposed to be able to handle two ships, although two at turn-around day would be a bit difficult.

20 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

I think the main reason the navy wants to stay is for the good supply of trades and maintenance companies. A regional town has a limited pool of maintenance.

Unless the labour government wants to put something on the eastern side of Garden Island, it’s Port Botany.

They want to stay because of Harrys pie cart nearby and perhaps also the availability of Cougars. 🤣

759032356_3cafedewheels.jpg.c35f38277887b32390c7bdbc0eb659d2.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SinbadThePorter said:

With the 4500+ pax ships now regularly using the OPT over the peak summer season, I think there would be serious issues trying to turn a ship around in under 7 hours and any sort of delay would be chaotic. I also doubt it is possible to bunker the fuel onboard a ship in such a short time.

42 minutes ago, reeves35 said:

With the 4500+ pax ships now regularly using the OPT over the peak summer season, I think there would be serious issues trying to turn a ship around in under 7 hours and any sort of delay would be chaotic. I also doubt it is possible to bunker the fuel onboard a ship in such a short time.

I hope they limit the size of the ships.

1 minute ago, reeves35 said:

There are quite a few constraints, some of which are more readily resolved. 

- Yes, bunkering does take-up plenty of time, but it can be completed at a harbour anchorage if needed.

- It was mentioned earlier about OPT being extended, but that was just to allow some of the bigger ships to berth. Prior to the mods, QM2 was unable to berth at OPT. They did also upgrade the terminal, which is supposed to be able to handle embarking and disembarking passengers simultaneously. The terminal is staffed to handle xx passengers in yy hours, which could be expedited with extra staff if needed.

The big constraint with the current layout is provisioning fresh food. It seems only 1 semi can unload at a time, and there is general pandemonium in the finite space.